New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Do you take coulrophobia, or the fear of clowns, seriously?

I have a general policy of taking phobias seriously, and do have friends with some phobias (e.g. of needles). That said, coulrophobia has literally never come up in my entire life. Maybe it's regional, maybe it's cultural changes in time - clowns pretty much don't exist where I'm at. If the profession isn't dead, it's niche and tucked away.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    I assume that most people here have an idea of what coulrophobia, or the irrational fear of clowns, is. My question is this, do you take the condition of coulrophobia seriously, or do you look at people claiming to suffer from it as attention seekers, because in your mind there's nothing scary about clowns.
    I'm sure it exists, but I don't take things that are irrational seriously, except stuff like Pi. I don't think they do this for attention, but I do think they're being silly about it and need to view things more rationally.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I have friends who clown, some of them volunteer at hospitals and old people's homes and they are the kindest, nicest, most perpetually warm-hearted people I know.
    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2014-10-21 at 01:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    {Scrub the original, scrub the quote}
    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2014-10-21 at 01:16 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #65
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    but I do think they're being silly about it and need to view things more rationally.
    Telling someone with an actual phobia--e.g. the medically recognised term, not the extreme dislike which has also been discussed in this thread--that they're being silly and to be more rational is pretty much akin to telling someone with medical depression that they should just cheer up, you realise that?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PallElendro View Post
    Funny, I was just looking at a PAYDAY 2 Crimefest article and saw the word.

No, I don't. People are only scared of clowns because they watched It or because they've got weird colourings on their face dissimilar to any human's. Take it off and all you've got left is a human probably screaming internally.
    Funny, I was considering mentioning Payday 2 as well. I imagine that a lot of the civvies and cops in that game develop an irrational fear of clowns after being involved in any of the game's heists.

Quote Originally Posted by PallElendro View Post
    For me, yeah. I'd be more scared if someone had a knife as opposed to the knife being by itself. I don't know about other people.
    I have a mild phobia of sewing needles. I know that one sitting on a counter won't hurt anything, but I'll try to avoid touching it anyway because I keep getting mental images of it jammed into my finger or even some part of my face and it freaks me out. Irrational? Yeah, I know, but I can't help it. It's not as great as my fear of wasps, though. **** wasps.

Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    No, people with a mild version of the actual phobia instead of a mild dislike can simply hang on longer before losing it. Trying to fix an irrational fear with rationality does not work that way. The person already knows it's irrational but they can't do anything about it.
    Yup. I feel like my fear of wasps is very much so rational, but it literally keeps me two feet behind a locked door if there's a wasp nest outside. I once took half an hour to pump gas because of a wasp in the pump. I actually start crying if I see them. I can't help it at all. But at the same time I can handle pictures of them without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Telling someone with an actual phobia--e.g. the medically recognised term, not the extreme dislike which has also been discussed in this thread--that they're being silly and to be more rational is pretty much akin to telling someone with medical depression that they should just cheer up, you realise that?
    Yyyyyyup. Must be nice to be one of these people who don't have fears of anything.
    vape naesh

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Not exactly. Milder forms of phobia can be circumvented by rational thinking. The problem is that rational thinking takes active effort and consumes energy. No-one can be on their guard forever. Even the most rational-minded phobic ever will get scared if they're surprised. This is true of non-phobics just as well. Most humans will jump at the sight of spiders or poisonous insects if one jumps on their face or if they suddenly notice one on their shoulder - even if they'd be perfectly fine if they could approach such creatures at their own leisure. The only difference is extremity of reaction. (A non-phobic will likely scream for a second and then be fine. A phobic might have a full-blown panic attack.)
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Not exactly. Milder forms of phobia can be circumvented by rational thinking. The problem is that rational thinking takes active effort and consumes energy. No-one can be on their guard forever. Even the most rational-minded phobic ever will get scared if they're surprised. This is true of non-phobics just as well. Most humans will jump at the sight of spiders or poisonous insects if one jumps on their face or if they suddenly notice one on their shoulder - even if they'd be perfectly fine if they could approach such creatures at their own leisure. The only difference is extremity of reaction. (A non-phobic will likely scream for a second and then be fine. A phobic might have a full-blown panic attack.)
    Have you ever had an anxiety disorder? What you're saying is basically like saying somebody can get over cancer with rational thinking.
    Jude P.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Have you ever had an anxiety disorder? What you're saying is basically like saying somebody can get over cancer with rational thinking.
    I have an anxiety disorder and there are workarounds. They're fairly effective but they have their own problems. But there are others who don't have such workarounds. Still, 'coping strategies' are common and important enough that they're taken seriously by psychologists and doctors.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Due to some backlash I received because of my earlier comments, I want to stress that I do believe clowns have their place. I have no problem with juggalos, for instance. And they work very well as Batman villains and side characters in gothic horror stories centred around carnivals and circuses. Also, zombie movies.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2014-10-21 at 01:17 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

So...does anybody have any links to any good clowning performances? This thread has made me curious and inspired enough to consider putting a silly idea to paper.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You got it wrong way around. What I said was that even the most rational person will get scared if they're surprised, because rational thought takes time. There's no difference there between healthy and phobic people, the difference is in extremity of reaction. Rather than cancer, hemophilia would be a better comparison when it comes to physical issues. Normal people will bleed just as well when stabbed, they just don't risk bleeding to death from trivial injuries.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Similarly, the "workaround" for their anxiety (in this case using the enlightenment as a security blanket) is more analogous to a bandage than any cancer treatment; it's essentially totally effective but can take enough time that, in the case of a "hemophiliac" or phobic, severe damage can still have been done by even a minor wound before it is applied.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Not all phobias are irrational--for instance, a fear of heights (acrophobia) has some rationale behind it, because falling from a height can hurt or kill.
    Sometimes heights don't bother me at all.

Sometimes, I get really nervous when I'm near a steep drop - to the extent that I'm probably more likely to fall than if I was calm.

I think that's a good example of a fear of heights becoming irrational.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

I have difficulty standing on chairs. The very thought gives me the creeps.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

So that glass-floored balcony hanging over the edge of the Grand Canyon is right out then, eh?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think I could come within 10 feet of the edge, frankly.

― Tim Fargo