New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries!

Hello Playgrounders!

I have always been a lover of the Incarnum subsystem. Thus, when I heard about Ssalarn's port of it to Pathfinder, I knew I had a new best friend in Pathfinder. The results did not disappoint. These guides started as a way for me to compile notes and experiences I had during playtest, but eventually got codified and expanded into what you see now. I hope they help you as much as they have helped me organize myself during the testing.

Vizier:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...AhVDEC9WQZ6jcc

Guru:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...RoujzJzU0gwOdM

Daevic:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1..._9Tc9Y6QIPAz6I

As more hits, I will post the guides for them. Any and all commentary is more than welcome here, this was originally the result of one person's analysis and playtesting, so it is always possible for me to have missed something. Happy playing!

EDIT: Bloodforge and Teamwork feat sections are completed! Next on the list is Items, to include weapon/armor enchantments. There are a few out there that significantly change the paradigm of the class using it, enabling or enhancing builds and providing options when needed. I might do a 1-2 sentence note about standard equips, but the intent is more to save the readers from having to dig through the PFSRD for gems. The section will be ongoing, and will expand greatly once Ssalarn puts out the Akashic Items.

If there are any requests, please feel free to post them in this thread.
    Last edited by PsyBomb; 2015-02-26 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries!

I was starting up on a guide myself. Guess that's a bit unnecessary, huh?

I may submit a build or advice.

Edit: My first idea is that the incarnate actually made a pretty decent melee fighter with the right build. Going to try to put together something.

Edit: Essence of the Immortal really is godlike (or even a bit unbalanced), isn't it? Making a level 12 Vizier, so that's 28 free HP right off the bat.

Holy cow (no pun intended), horns of the minotaur looks great for a melee vizier. Replace BAB with vizier level? Heck yes.

Hrm. The guru doesn't really have much in the way of melee veils, but it does get a bunch of essence. Maybe feats will be its salvation.
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2014-10-17 at 12:20 AM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Now I'm just hoping some enterprising fifth-party goes and rebuilds the Occultist / Vizier PrC which, back in 3.5, allowed Binder/Meldshaper combos. Goodness that was an exciting time.

Love the guide! PF is really filling out the wacky alternate casting mechanics, and meldshaping was always one of my favourite dip-able techniques for making unpredictable and entertaining builds in ye olden days.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Manyshot is exclusive to bows, so useless for a handcannons build. Deadly aim/chakra targeting are awesome for handcannons, useless for any of the other ranged options since deadly aim does not work with touch attacks (firearms get a special exception in their rules). I would update the feat description accordingly, since anyone not using handcannons shouldn't touch them, instead of anyone other than rulers wanting them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Nooo pummeling charge requires BAB +12, which means there's no way a straight-classed vizier can ever take it. Even the catfolk one is BAB +10.

Hrm...maybe I can get it psionic lion's charge somehow. Akashic Charge looks like my best hope for a melee vizier.

Edit: Wildclaw chakra might work.

Also, for anyone else considering a melee vizier, don't. Ranged vizier with Hand Cannons+Chakra Targeting would be vastly superior.
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2014-10-17 at 10:56 AM.
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Hopefully future veils will expand the melee side a bit.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Stack: Thanks for the tip-off, I'd missed that detail. Corrected now, and added some info to the Elf section.

Novawurmson: I would say I'm sorry to steal your thunder, but I'm not . If you get a decent build going, I'll be more than happy to add it to the guide and give you credit. Don't forget about Shape Veil to grab offensive Veils off the other lists.
    Last edited by PsyBomb; 2014-10-17 at 11:05 AM.

Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Hopefully future veils will expand the melee side a bit.
    I assume the daevic in particular will have some. I'm just trying to force the system to do something it isn't designed to - test its limits.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    I assume the daevic in particular will have some. I'm just trying to force the system to do something it isn't designed to - test its limits.
    Daevic has more melee and natural attack veils than either of the other classes (possibly more than both combined). Guru doesn't have a lot of melee veils, but he does have good melee options in all of his Philosophies.

**EDIT**

Also, I hope you don't mind Psybomb, I linked up this guide over in the product thread on the Paizo forums.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2014-10-17 at 12:57 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Don't forget about Shape Veil to grab offensive Veils off the other lists.
    Yeah, but Vizier is the only one out in PDF form right now, so I was trying to limit myself to that.

So far, I think Storm Gauntlets on the wrist and Horns of the Minotaur on the head are the only real melee veils for the vizier - there's plenty of good utility options like flying, teleportation, skill bonuses, concealment, etc. that can help in melee, but not straight attack and damage boosts.

As far as feats go, Essence of the Immortal is laughably overpowered - there's absolutely no reason any vizier shouldn't take it, much less a melee vizier. Akashic Charge looks like the best receptacle because it increases attack AND damage on all charge attacks, and a level 12 vizier (the point I'm building it for) can invest 5 essence into it. Wildclaw Chakra is good, but doesn't increase damage, and the only natural attack it gets baseline is the Horns of the Minotaur.

Right now, the only way I think it would work is with a wand of a polymorph effect to get natural attacks and pounce.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, but Vizier is the only one out in PDF form right now, so I was trying to limit myself to that.

So far, I think Storm Gauntlets on the wrist and Horns of the Minotaur on the head are the only real melee veils for the vizier - there's plenty of good utility options like flying, teleportation, skill bonuses, concealment, etc. that can help in melee, but not straight attack and damage boosts.

As far as feats go, Essence of the Immortal is laughably overpowered - there's absolutely no reason any vizier shouldn't take it, much less a melee vizier. Akashic Charge looks like the best receptacle because it increases attack AND damage on all charge attacks, and a level 12 vizier (the point I'm building it for) can invest 5 essence into it. Wildclaw Chakra is good, but doesn't increase damage, and the only natural attack it gets baseline is the Horns of the Minotaur.

Right now, the only way I think it would work is with a wand of a polymorph effect to get natural attacks and pounce.
    I'm going to go ahead and admit that I probably went overboard with Essence of the Immortal; given that the Vizier is kind of a "Tier 3 wizard" with comparatively short range abilities, and akasha is basically life energy mixed with arcane power, it seemed like an appropriate option as kind of a secondary defense; yeah, a melee focused vizier is going to get hit, but he can get hit more than a caster should really be able to. I think the biggest problem is that it's a fairly accessible feat; I may need to look into either toning it down or making the prereqs more restrictive.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

EotI is very strong, but I don't think "Laughably Overpowered" is the right term. Pure HP is only one defense, basically. Granted that it makes Toughness obsolete on characters that gain 11+ points of Essence over the career, but Toughness isn't particularly impressive to begin with.

I shows up VERY strongly the earlier you get it (I have an Akasin Guru with 18 starting HP, for example), but past level 10 or so it isn't nearly as relevant.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd recommend halving the benefit. It'd still be 150% better than Toughness at level 20 for the vizier before any akashic feats/items/racial options/etc.

Edit: Along with halving the benefit, give it +1 essence. That way, it's worse than Toughness at level 1, even at 2, sliiiightly better until 11, and then increasingly better the rest of the way.
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2014-10-17 at 08:12 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Reposting as it may be relevant to the guide:
    It's been brought to my attention that in an attempt to be concise, I may have obscured what I was actually trying to convey.
    Eldritch Insight has a line that states: "The Vizier’s class levels count as arcane spell-caster levels for the purposes of qualifying for feats and abilities". It should read: "The Vizier’s class levels count as arcane caster levels for the purposes of qualifying for feats, and for other caster level based abilities, such as determining your caster level when using a stave". This change will be added to the .pdf once we've heard more feedback from our customers and have noted any other clarifications that may need to be made.
    Thank you to everyone who has purchased this so far, and thank you to everyone who has taken the time to give thoughtful and constructive feedback to make sure that we can give you the highest quality products.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

@Psybomb

I noticed you marked Essence Expertise as orange, so I thought I'd share this little combo:
    You know when the nastiest time for a vizier to use Combat Expertise/Essence Expertise is? When his Light Whip activates. Essence Expertise automatically offsets his Combat Expertise penalties (up to the invested amount), so a vizier who uses this combo can trip an opponent with a 15 foot AoO and simultaneously boost his AC, which will then last until the start of his turn when he gets his normal full attack bonus back for non-combat maneuver attacks. For a high level Vizier in the right circumstances that's an incredible defensive combo with virtually no downside. Even if all of your trip attempts fail, you've now got a powerfully boosted AC against the opponent(s) who triggered your Light Whip.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, Shape Veil (Wrathful Claws)+(Forcestrike Knuckles) really changed this build around.

Ok, you really want/need to fully pump three veils: Wrathful Claws, Forcestrike Knuckles, and Horns of the Minotaur. Storm Gauntlets can be pumped as well, but isn't as vital. You're going to need Twin Veil to simultaneously bind WC and FK, so that's three essential feats+Essence of the Immortal. The build starts looking like this:

Human - Essence of the Immortal
    1 - Extra Essence
    3 - Power Attack(?)
    5 - Shape Veil (Wrathful Claws)
    7 - Enhanced Capacity(?)
    9 - Twin Veil
    11 - Shape Veil (Forcestrike Knuckles)

The build currently does a lot of damage on-hit, but has pretty poor accuracy.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

@Ssalarn

Thanks for the clarification on Caster Level, I'll add it soon (along with a blurb about crafting I forgot to put after that Path).

As for Essence Expertise... unfortunately, you can only activate Combat Expertise when you make an attack action, and I don't think an AoO counts. You can have Expertise running if you actively use the Light Whip on your own turn, but otherwise it won't pop up on an AoO. Most Viziers won't be using their main actions to use the Light Whip, but I'll add the note for those that might.

If I'm wrong, please tell me, but I believe an "Attack Action" is the standard-action version, while an Attack of Opportunity is defined as "a single melee attack" according to the d20pfsrd.
    Last edited by PsyBomb; 2014-10-18 at 10:49 AM.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

It's whenever you make an attack, just like Power Attack, so you can trigger it on an AoO.

***Edit***
    I'm asking Mark Seifter for and official clarification due to the slight wording difference between Combat Expertise and Power Attack. In the meantime, assume that if for some inexplicable reason Combat Expertise doesn't work like its offensive counterpart Power Attack, that I'll be adding the following line to Essence Expertise "In addition, you may now choose to activate Combat Expertise anytime you are allowed to make an attack or combat maneuver." Based on their FAQ regarding Sunder and conversations I've had with Paizo team members previously, I don't think it'll be necessary though.
    What I've been told before, is that when it says that it must be used with "an attack or full attack action" it should be read "an attack, or full attack action" not "an attack action or full attack action".
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2014-10-18 at 01:53 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks Ssalarn! I'll edit it up a notch, given how hard I sing the praises of Light Whip and this can give it +8 on top of the very powerful trip attempts.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks Ssalarn! I'll edit it up a notch, given how hard I sing the praises of Light Whip and this can give it +8 on top of the very powerful trip attempts.
    The Vizier is really a very defensively focused caster; even most of his big offensive veils have defensive purposes. This is really intentional, allowing him to use a unique style of battlefield control and play completely differently from any other caster. Essence Expertise was really specifically intended for the Vizier, and Light Whip was kind of the goodie intended to go hand in hand (there's other tricks, but that's the one I use for my "sweeping through the unwashed masses" battle tactics).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

First update to the Vizier guide is up, about to also add the Melee Build with credit to Novawurmson

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

First update to the Vizier guide is up, about to also add the Melee Build with credit to Novawurmson
    Heh. It's not particularly good. Add a note that you're basically going to have to abuse the heck out of wands/djores to make the build work (using your class feature to spend essence for charges). Haste (attack bonus+extra attack), heroism (attack bonus), psionic lion's charge/monstrous physique II (pounce), hustle, etc. - you need a way to move+full attack, and you need attack bonuses; if you can get those two things through WBL, the build can work.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh. It's not particularly good. Add a note that you're basically going to have to abuse the heck out of wands/djores to make the build work (using your class feature to spend essence for charges). Haste (attack bonus+extra attack), heroism (attack bonus), psionic lion's charge/monstrous physique II (pounce), hustle, etc. - you need a way to move+full attack, and you need attack bonuses; if you can get those two things through WBL, the build can work.
    It'll actually work a lot better once the Archetypes document hits final release, the Akashic Warrior archetype of the Fighter class can pick up Akashic feats when it gets bonuses, meaning two levels greatly abbreviates the time to come online (and incidentally gives Heavy Armor). Never going to be as good as what the class is designed for, but it's at least decent.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey everyone,
    So, when we did our big correction of the .pdf, it looks like some comparisons were done with an out of date version of the Vizier doc. There's around 5 items requiring errata, so I'll be posting those up with their corrections as soon as possible so you all have good working information to play with. I'll note the errata in all relevant threads and it will be updated in the main .pdf for purchasers to redownload no later than the compiled release.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2014-10-22 at 01:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey everyone, here's that errata log for the Vizier I promised you. These changes will all be added to the .pdf before compilation or print:

pg. 4 - Eldritch Insight says "The Vizier’s class levels count as arcane spell-caster levels for the purposes of qualifying for feats and abilities"; it should read: "The Vizier’s class levels count as arcane caster levels for the purposes of qualifying for feats, and for other caster level based abilities, such as determining your caster level when using a stave".

pg. 5 - Under the Path of the Crafter entry add the following line after the first sentence: "Due to this connection, the crafter is able to use Spellcraft to identify items as though using detect magic. This effect only applies to identifying magic items and grants the crafter no other benefits of the detect magic spell.

pg. 5 - Path of the Crafter should read "The vizier gains a bonus equal to 1/2 his class level on all skill checks made as part of the crafting process, and can bypass the normal restrictions for spell prerequisites on spell trigger and spell completion items by adding 3 + spell level to the crafting DC".

Page 6: Replace the first two paragraphs in Aura of Subjugation with
    "Aura of Subjugation (Su): At 1st level the ruler’s aura of subjugation has a range of 30 feet and all creatures other than the ruler within its area of effect take a -1 penalty to their Will saving throws and a -2 penalty to all Sense Motive checks. He may choose to exclude a number of creatures equal to his Intelligence modifier from the effects of this aura.
    At 5th level the ruler’s control over his aura of subjugation improves and the penalty to Will saving throws increases to -2 and the penalty to Sense Motive checks increases to -4."

pg. 13 paragraph 3 - Add the line "Unless otherwise noted, investing or reallocating essence to or from a valid receptacle is a swift action.

pg.18 - Coward's Boots should read "Class: Guru, Vizier Slot: Feet

pg. 18 - Cuirass of Confidence cuts off in the middle of the Essence description. It should read "For each point of Essence invested in this ability you gain a +1 insight bonus to Diplomacy checks against any creature that has been affected by this Veil’s primary ability within the past 24 hours."

pg. 18 - Dark Lord's Ring of Essence-Binding should direct you to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary, not the Core Rulebook. Change the 2nd sentence of the Essence entry to " When at least 2 essence is invested, the zombie gains the Disease and Death Burst abilities of the Plague Zombie." Add the following after the entry for the plague zombie template "The zombie rot inflicted by this creature dissipates after 24 hours, or when you reshape this veil. Any plague zombies created as a result of being infected also die as the force animating them dissipates." Add the following line to the bind entry "Because the dark energies animating this creature are magical simulations, this Wight cannot create spawn."

pg. 20-21 - Hand Cannons description entry should read as follows "Massive cylinders of whirling energy surround the arms of anyone wielding this potent Veil. While the Hand Cannons are manifested you gain the ability to make a special ranged weapon attack with a range increment of 20 feet that deals 2d6 points of bludgeoning and piercing damage. You can attack with this ability as many times in a round as your base attack bonus allows, and this ability can be modified by feats and effects which normally affect ranged weapon attacks, like Deadly Aim, Point Blank Shot, and Rapid Shot. You must have at least one free hand to attack with this veil, and you cannot attack with this veil in the same round you attack with any other weapon. The wearer may choose to use their veilweaver level in place of their base attack bonus to determine their to-hit and other abilities of this veil."

pg. 25 - Hand bind for Riven Darts should read "Chakra Bind (Hands): [ V2] Binding this veil to your Hands slot allows you to fire an additional dart for each point of essence invested in this veil. Each dart requires its own attack roll; the darts can be aimed individually, but no more than two darts may target any one creature."

pg. 26 - Remove the word "melee" from the Storm Gauntlets wrist bind entry.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2015-08-07 at 10:26 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, did handcannons target touch in the final playtest? Why the change?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Wait, did handcannons target touch in the final playtest? Why the change?
    They did target touch in the final playtest, but that was lost during our last minute fix that we had to do when an older version of the playtest was accidentally used to spot check fixes.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I never saw that change to Hand Cannons and probably would have spoken against it. Cannon builds are already the highest damage out for the class and didn't need the boost. Sure, it was the overall lowest of the three optimals, but it already had two big accuracy boosts going for it (using Veilweaver level instead of BAB and the Essence effect) and didn't fall THAT far behind.

I'll update the guide for the changes, but this just went sky-blue and became the slot default. Pity, because Ditchdigger for the intended theme more closely.

The rest of the changes are awesome, though, especially the crafting bit.
    Last edited by PsyBomb; 2014-10-24 at 01:53 PM.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I never saw that change to Hand Cannons and probably would have spoken against it. Cannon builds are already the highest damage out for the class and didn't need the boost. Sure, it was the overall lowest of the three optimals, but it already had two big accuracy boosts going for it (using Veilweaver level instead of BAB and the Essence effect) and didn't fall THAT far behind.

I'll update the guide for the changes, but this just went sky-blue and became the slot default. Pity, because Ditchdigger for the intended theme more closely.
    Hmmm...

It's not too late to retract that if you guys think it's going to be an issue. I was lining it up with what I showed in the final playtest doc, but if that wasn't widely seen...

Serious facepalm moment here, Jeremy had the correct version in layout, and my errata was the item that we fixed. Sorry guys, too much going on.
    This is why it's so awesome having all of you to proof me before something permanent and crazy happens.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2014-10-24 at 01:53 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't think they're that big of a deal targeting touch. The damage isn't significantly problematic, you aren't going to win any sort of DPR Olympics by a long, long shot.

If there's any issue it's probably more other damage options being less than impressive.