New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries!

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    New chart put out in a Paizo FAQ kinda kills the DPR record attempts via Armory. Given the new progression (number of dice increases by 50%, not doubling on the split), even the 6d6 Talon doesn't break things as hugely.

...at least, not without the Mythic Vital Strike line...
    Paizo - when FAQ needs a FAQ.

Read it again, one size increase bumps damage by two steps on their chart. End result is exactly the same as with natural attacks charts copied from 3.5 - two sizes double the damage.

The only weird thing is 1d10 step that IMO shouldn't be there.
    Last edited by Nyaa; 2015-03-13 at 01:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    Paizo - when FAQ needs a FAQ.

Read it again, one size increase bumps damage by two steps on their chart. End result is exactly the same as with natural attacks charts copied from 3.5 - two sizes double the damage.

The only weird thing is 1d10 step that IMO shouldn't be there.
    Feh, their instructions suck, then. Nevermind, and I'm glad you pointed that out BEFORE I went back and started recalculating damage sims. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

That's what you get for doubting me Psybomb! I'm working on a higher DPR build though. We'll see how high we can get damage when we shift into maximum overdrive.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, now I've got a build for when you need to kill a Great Wyrm in two rounds or less, or your money back:

Standard Blinkling, swap out to get Halfling Luck, Shadow Dog, and Sharp Eyes.
    Take 20 levels of Wrath (Justice) Daevic, putting 18 Favored Class bonuses into your racial option, as normal. Other two may as well go into HP.
    Standard Incarnate double Expansion to bring you up to large size, take Mighty Frame to get Powerful Build (no prerequisites for a Blinkling nicely).
    Purchase a Cracked Opalescent White Pyramid Ioun Stone that is keyed to the Double Hackbut.
    Invest 10 points of Essence (AKA All of your pool) into your Passion while having Armory of the Conqueror bound.
    Wear a +3 Chakra Wrap on your wrists.
    Vital Strike with your Double Hackbut, before or after setting it up depending on circumstances.

With a total of 9 (large size, powerful build, 13 essence in Armory) size increases, your damage is:
    Medium Base: 2d12 (4d6 for scaling purposes)
    1: 6d6
    2: 8d6
    3: 12d6
    4: 16d6
    5: 24d6
    6: 32d6
    7: 48d6
    8: 64d6
    9: 96d6
    Multiplied by 4 for Greater Vital Strike and you end with 384d6 damage as a standard action. This averages out to 1344 damage. Make sure you optimize your to-hit so that you land the blow. Wouldn't that be embarrassing.

There's another build which has the potential for more damage, but I'm not quite solid on the details of it yet.

EDIT: Alternatively just use a Fiend's Mouth Cannon, they're not as easy to reload but at least you don't get knocked prone for using it normally.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2015-03-18 at 07:09 AM.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Mithril Leaf, all I have to say is "OUCH". That's enough to kill anything in the book that has stats, and resolves against touch AC if you're close.

... we can increase that, too. It's just the standard shot. Martial Training for a good Boost and Stance out of Solar Wind or Tempest Gale, plus enchantments, plus other items, plus potential dips...

Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright so theoretically if we were to grab the Ioun Stone and use it for the Bastard Sword, we could size up to a large Bastard Sword, make that an Impact Speed weapon, same everything else. We'd hit 64d8 damage per swing, averaged to 288, which if all our swings hit will reach 1,440 damage and we can do it all day long, spread out between 5 attacks in case you need to fight a few Balors at once.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright so theoretically if we were to grab the Ioun Stone and use it for the Bastard Sword, we could size up to a large Bastard Sword, make that an Impact Speed weapon, same everything else. We'd hit 64d8 damage per swing, averaged to 288, which if all our swings hit will reach 1,440 damage and we can do it all day long, spread out between 5 attacks in case you need to fight a few Balors at once.
    I account for accuracy in my numbers, unfortunately, so that number would go down dramatically. I'll see if I can scrape up some time to sim your two theories for final numbers (and also see if the Blinkling Boost busts open Wrath)

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, screw the old Bastard Sword. ONE MORE SIZE!

Sun Blade counts as a short sword so we can toss another size on.

96d8 per swing, although at a further -2 per attack.
    1728 average with Vital Strike, 2160 with 5 swings.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, screw the old Bastard Sword. ONE MORE SIZE!

Sun Blade counts as a short sword so we can toss another size on.

96d8 per swing, although at a further -2 per attack.
    1728 average with Vital Strike, 2160 with 5 swings.
    What's scary here is that the number doubles against Undead... don't know of too many opponents that can take a 3456 hit.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

A few notes:

How is the Passion capacity hitting 10? Shouldn't it be 9?

Akashic Catalysts don't combo with Passion veils, as mentioned in the Passion entry.

Impact doesn't stack with Armory of the Conqueror, they both use the "is treated as though it is X size category(ies) larger than it actually is" verbage.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    A few notes:

Akashic Catalysts don't combo with Passion veils, as mentioned in the Passion entry.

Impact doesn't stack with Armory of the Conqueror, they both use the "is treated as though it is X size category(ies) larger than it actually is" verbage.
    Didn't realize Catalysts wouldn't help the Passion veil. I've been using it in some of my sims, as well, so Vengeance is going to be stepped back a hair (I use them on hands to double-tap Forcestrike Knuckles and Wrath Claws). Armory not stacking with Impact, I really should have known.

Passion hitting 10 comes from Expanded Capacity and +3 from Blinkling. That much I know should work, we've had the discussion (I think two or three times, now)

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

A few notes:

Impact actually doesn't use that Verbage at all, I was careful to check.
    An impact weapon delivers a potent kinetic jolt when it strikes, dealing damage as if the weapon were one size category larger.
    One size category Larger. Not one size category larger than it really is.

Also, now that the Catalysts don't work with Passions at all, I suppose it's back to the Vizier having the most Damage, because we all knew that the Mage Type should really be the one hitting hardest.

EDIT: It's actually Guru. You start as one size bigger, lose one size from Armory, then only get up to Improved Vital Strike for 1296 averaged damage.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2015-03-20 at 12:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, now that the Catalysts don't work with Passions at all, I suppose it's back to the Vizier having the most Damage, because we all knew that the Mage Type should really be the one hitting hardest.

EDIT: It's actually Guru. You start as one size bigger, lose one size from Armory, then only get up to Improved Vital Strike for 1296 averaged damage.
    Being able to theoretically deliver X damage via stacking damage die and actually dealing a set amount of damage reliably to establish a true damage capacity are two totally different concepts; the Daevic is still able to deliver the mathematically highest damage when you factor in enemy defenses and total abilities.

Unless you're talking multi-class characters on a 25 or greater point buy value, in which case a Daevic/Guru/Aegis (psywar works in place of Aegis) with a powerful build race (I think I went with the Oggr from Bloodforge) can crank out some stupid hurt.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Being able to theoretically deliver X damage via stacking damage die and actually dealing a set amount of damage reliably to establish a true damage capacity are two totally different concepts; the Daevic is still able to deliver the mathematically highest damage when you factor in enemy defenses and total abilities.

Unless you're talking multi-class characters on a 25 or greater point buy value, in which case a Daevic/Guru/Aegis (psywar works in place of Aegis) with a powerful build race (I think I went with the Oggr from Bloodforge) can crank out some stupid hurt.
    You're still using Vital Strike with a BAB of 15. You take -4 for the weapon being a silly size, -2 for being huge, get +5 from the weapon's enhancements, +10 or so from your strength, taking shape veil again for the Eye of the Oracle and using another catalyst there gets you +9, a courageous weapon combined with a Flawed Pale Green Prism Ioun Stone gets you +3, a normal Pale Green Prism gets you another +1. There are bonuses I'm missing due to it being 4 AM, but a +37 still lets you hit a Balor on a 2.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

ANYWAY, back to the guide...

I'm going to need help looking for items. I'll be searching myself, but a lot has landed on my plate recently so time is limited. Looking for:

1) Specific enchantments for weapons and armor that will help various Passions/Philosophies/Paths. The more it will help within a given class, the better.
    2) Specific magic items (especially for Crafter Viziers), as above. Make note if it's for a specific tactic or tactics.
    3) Unique consumables that may help.

The above is obviously going to be expanded GREATLY when the Items document comes up, but it all needs to get started. I have put a bare skeleton into each guide, but they will be refined and expanded

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Might want to update your description of the Tauric Brace its different than what the veil actually does.

Also might want to note that it appears as almost a required veil for Wrath Daevics, since it lets you Bullrush or Overrun larger opponents than you normally would.

And In addition the "Snowstrider" trait from Koblods of Golation is a good trait for them as well.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadkitten View Post
    Might want to update your description of the Tauric Brace its different than what the veil actually does.

Also might want to note that it appears as almost a required veil for Wrath Daevics, since it lets you Bullrush or Overrun larger opponents than you normally would.

And In addition the "Snowstrider" trait from Koblods of Golation is a good trait for them as well.
    Thanks for pointing these out. Tauric Brace is also a good idea for BFC Viziers now, since Trips are size-based as well. I disagree with it being completely required for Wrath (due to the potential presence of other major size-changers), but it is important for those who are either independent or else too small to reach the big guys normally. Thing is that using it is hard for Vengeance due to needing Sea-Drake's Talons (maybe in belt slot?). Much easier for Justice. Snowstrider is a huge deal, though, don't know how I missed it.

... going to need to make Trait sections for all three, aren't I?
    Last edited by PsyBomb; 2015-03-29 at 12:02 PM.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

18. - Top - End - #108
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

TL;DR: Toughness sucks. Do not use Toughness as a balance point. Do not nerf perfectly good feats just because they're better than Toughness.

EioT is definitely *not* "laughably overpowered. Toughness is laughably underpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    I'd recommend halving the benefit. It'd still be 150% better than Toughness at level 20 for the vizier before any akashic feats/items/racial options/etc.

Edit: Along with halving the benefit, give it +1 essence. That way, it's worse than Toughness at level 1, even at 2, sliiiightly better until 11, and then increasingly better the rest of the way.
    No. Nononononononono NO! holy-$%^&-what-the-$%^&-is-wrong-with-you no. Toughness is the monk of feats. It's not just underpowered, it's a paragon of underpoweredness. It is the poster child for underpoweredness in the "feats" category. It is underpowered for every build and every role. Its only use is to meet certain prerequisites, and even then, requiring it is a severe cost that the other effect must make up for. No one should *ever* print anything that is worse than Toughness at *any* level, let alone taking all the way to level 11 to just edge out Toughness and not hit half again the effect until level 20. Toughness at 150% effect across the board, at every level, would just edge in on being worth taking for the builds it's at its best in.

Do not use Toughness as your balance point. Nearly every feat is better than Toughness. This does not mean they all need nerfs, it means PF didn't go far enough to fix Toughness, and should finish the job.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Adding a point of essence is half a feat on its own. Many Akashic builds would take it just for that regardless of how many HP it gives. Not that some extra up matter at high levels anyway.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Either version of the feat would be strong enough to be sky-blue, to be honest. I'd take it on any Akashic characer that had an open slot (read: anything other than optimized simulator-builds)

Anyway, the Blinkling alternate class bonus for Daevic caught an erratum, so I've edited it in the guide. Right about to post the new evaluation for Benevolence, and they are MUCH better now. (high Yellow or low Blue, not sure)

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

21. - Top - End - #111

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Adding a point of essence is half a feat on its own. Many Akashic builds would take it just for that regardless of how many HP it gives. Not that some extra up matter at high levels anyway.
    Actually, its slightly more than half a feat, unless they decide to make Extra Essence repeatable. Still, 150% of Toughness isn't even good enough to cover the other half of the feat, let alone something that usually won't even be 100% of Toughness (since more play occurs below level 11 than above it).

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Relevant.

23. - Top - End - #113

Quick question, in your Guru guide, you point on the class combination of Deadly fist/ Guru, however there is one thing that is bugging me.

You say Deadly fist 1 is all you need, and to pick up the extra blade skill feat to get Focused Offense for Wis to att/dmg. However don't you need to be at least lvl 2, and have the blade skill class feature to even take the feat in the first place?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CashanDraven View Post
    Quick question, in your Guru guide, you point on the class combination of Deadly fist/ Guru, however there is one thing that is bugging me.

You say Deadly fist 1 is all you need, and to pick up the extra blade skill feat to get Focused Offense for Wis to att/dmg. However don't you need to be at least lvl 2, and have the blade skill class feature to even take the feat in the first place?
    That one is a bit of a corner case. In most instances you're right... but Deadly Fist Soulblades gain a Bladeskill at level one, Flurry of Fists. If your DM doesn't agree with this, then the build is best done by going 4 levels into Soulknife for the extra iterative plus some other goodies.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

25. - Top - End - #115

Another thing I noticed in your Guru guide, you have the spiked chain listed in the weapon selections for TWF, however the Spiked chain is a two handed weapon and not a double weapon. Is there an errata or FAQ I'm missing that allows it to be used as a double weapon?

Spoiler
    Show

Two-Weapon Fighting (Series): Much of your damage comes as bonuses per-strike, and just like a rogue the more qualifying strikes you make the better. Akasins have the Two-Bladed Sword. Sineaters have the Spiked Chain (along with Bo Staff, Tonfa, and Dan Bong). Vayists have the 9-section whip in the main hand, and Nunchaku for either (though dual-wielding Nunchaku is an awesome image)

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

On that note, the recent FAQ about size increases broke my old damage builds. I'm feeling a natural attack build coming up.
    Just because Paizo decides to be mean and break my old builds, doesn't mean I won't come back stronger than before. Also it doesn't mean that it didn't work before.

Anyway, I just need to a way to get like 20 natural attacks and I'll be golden.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Just because Paizo decides to be mean and break my old builds, doesn't mean I won't come back stronger than before. Also it doesn't mean that it didn't work before.

Did the original sim have aegis-aberrant? If not, easy source of attacks there.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

I've done 19 on Vengeance (20 if you count the QBR), but one of those is an Armbands smash. This is a Feelkha with a Bloodforge feat for extra bite attack. I stopped pushing the win once it broke 1200 DPR, trying to make it more efficient in order to squeeze in more utility

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    I've done 19 on Vengeance (20 if you count the QBR), but one of those is an Armbands smash. This is a Feelkha with a Bloodforge feat for extra bite attack. I stopped pushing the win once it broke 1200 DPR, trying to make it more efficient in order to squeeze in more utility
    Off the top of my head, gore, bite, couple claws, some legs, unarmed gets you to easy 10 or so, after that you need to do some scrounging. I'm thinking it might actually be better to do it on a Guru chassis, as they have better Forcestrike Knuckles and lots more utility. Assuming of course you can easily swing some Swift Action movement. I'm prepared to collaborate on the damage record for Akashic with you Psybomb, share even greater glory than we can achieve independently.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

I play with the Paizo guys from time to time, so I usually know a FAQ like that is in the offing before it actually hits (which is why I was trying to save you the math without actually saying anything that wasn't mine to say ;P)