New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Need help with Fighter

He's a dwarf fighter lvl 4. He's got power attack, cleave, improved initiative, and alertness. I'm looking for a good new bonus feat, and possibly to cross class. But I'm relatively new to dnd and I don't know how to go about doing it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Need help with Fighter

What sources are available? Are you comfortable with subsystems like Tome of Battle?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't know what all books my group has. But I can always look things up on the web.

4. - Top - End - #4

NecromancerGuy

Well what are your goals for he character? Maximum damage output? Charger? Tanky Frontliner?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm looking to deal the most damage possible while still being resilient and useful to my team. We're doing a semi dark souls campaign and there's just three of us.

6. - Top - End - #6

If you are looking for max damage (and are not restricted to core), pick up Improved bull rush for the fighter 4 feat. Its not a great feat on its own. but it lets you get Shock Trooper when you reach level 6. and thats where you can really crush an opponent. For levels 5 & 6, take Barbarian.

If you are able to use the Whirling Frenzy variant from Unearthed Arcana, I find it better. It gives you an extra attack (at highest BAB) each round when you rage. Additionally, there is a level 1 alternate class feature from Complete Champion (Lion Spirit Totem) that lets you trade fast movement for the ability to do a Full Attack on a charge (I.e., pounce). This will come online the following level, when you can both take Shock Trooper (also from Complete Champion) and get iterative attacks due to having a high enough BAB.

At level 6, see if you can get the wolf totem ACF (from Unearthed Arcana) that gives you Improved trip in exchange for Uncanny Dodge. This is a great ability on its own... But if you are using a weapon with reach, and combine this with the Knock-down feat (found in both Sword & Fist as well as Deities & Demigods)... Well then you are able to get a free trip attempt on anyone whom you deal 10 points of damage to.... Not just on your turn.

So now you can charge into battle and take out the frontline fighter, drop him on a single hit due to the +12 damage from power attack & shock trooper. Thanks to cleave and a reach weapon, you are likely going to be able to hit a second target at full BAB and with the +12 power attack damage still applied. If the second guy doesn't go down, you can trip him for free. Then you still have your whirling frenzy attack (also at full BAB). If a third guy is in reach, hit him now, and then trip him. You can now use your iterative attack on one of the prone targets, nearly negating the lower BAB due to the +4 bonus for attacking a prone target. +12 damage from power Attack is STILL going strong. This is the point that Great Cleave would have been great over Alertness, because if you kill the one prone guy, you could then follow it with one last attack on the second prone guy.

How's that sound?
    [CLEVER SIGNATURE] Insert Here [/CLEVER SIGNATURE]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Ask your DM if you can take the Dungeon Crasher fighter ACF (which replaces a feat) from Dungeonscape (p.10). It will give you a powerful attack, better defenses against traps, and will make you better at breaking through barriers, which makes you more useful overall. The attack automatically improves at 6th level. When you reach 6th level, consider taking prerequisites to help you qualify for tactical feats from Complete Warrior like Combat Brute and Shock Trooper, both of which combine well with Dungeon Crasher and give you a variety of useful tools for increasing your accuracy and damage and pushing enemies around on the battlefield.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2014-10-17 at 12:31 AM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oddman80 View Post
    If you are looking for max damage (and are not restricted to core), pick up Improved bull rush for the fighter 4 feat. Its not a great feat on its own. but it lets you get Shock Trooper when you reach level 6. and thats where you can really crush an opponent.
    I don't know. That meets the "most damage possible" criteria but miserably fails the "while still being resilient" one.

What I would do is take a level of either Crusader or Warblade. They deal lots of extra damage on their strikes, but are also well-rounded and have a lot of tactical flexibility. Plus, they're very easy to build (even if the rules are a little confusing to learn at first); the chances that you'll screw up by taking the wrong feat or something are basically nil.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    I don't know. That meets the "most damage possible" criteria but miserably fails the "while still being resilient" one.

What I would do is take a level of either Crusader or Warblade. They deal lots of extra damage on their strikes, but are also well-rounded and have a lot of tactical flexibility. Plus, they're very easy to build (even if the rules are a little confusing to learn at first); the chances that you'll screw up by taking the wrong feat or something are basically nil.
    Crusader being the shining beacon of resilience of the two.

I'd try and drop alertness as the +2 to a skill feats are really not that great.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletman258
    He's a dwarf fighter lvl 4. He's got power attack, cleave, improved initiative, and alertness. I'm looking for a good new bonus feat, and possibly to cross class. But I'm relatively new to dnd and I don't know how to go about doing it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    Fighters are probably going to want to pick up a Tactical Feat and/or a Weapon Style Feat. Tactical feats provide 3 extra options, weapon style feats provide a benefit when using a specific weapon combination.

If you take Improved Sunder (Player's Handbook) then at 6th level you would qualify for Combat Brute (Complete Warrior) tactical feat. You can sunder through an item and then get another attack for free, similar to the way improved trip operates.

If you're facing alot of opponents that are Huge sized or bigger (i.e. Giants), then Giantbane (Complete Warrior) might be a good choice, it provides options when fighting bigger opponents.

Improved Bull Rush (Player's Handbook) is another good option as you already have Power Attack and could pick up Shock Trooper (Complete Warrior). This gives you extra options during a bull rush or a charge.

Lastly, based on the feats you have now, you could qualify for the Three Mountains [style] feat by picking up Improved Bull Rush and the appropriate weapon focus. With that if you hit someone twice in a round you can potentially nauseate them (they basically spend their round puking).

Powerful Charge and Greater Powerful Charge (Miniature's Handbook) can be used to add extra damage dice to a charge attack.
    Alternatively, you could pick up Combat Reflexes + Hold the Line (Complete Warrior) and Sidestep (Miniature's Handbook) or Stand Still (Expanded Psionicist's Handbook) to become immune to charging.

11. - Top - End - #11

Or you can just buy a 1400 gp pair of steadfast boots. As before, I'm assuming a guisarme. While wielding it, you are always readied vs. a charge. Anyone charges you, they are at a -2 AC, an you get to deal double damage (for being readied). You make you triggered attack when they enter the square you threaten (10') away. Assuming also that you have knockdown, you get to trip them afterwards. If somehow you miss, don't worry, they will continue their charge triggering an AoO, as soon as they leave the square you had threatened with the guisarme. They are still at -2 AC, so you are likely to hit. And guess what. Knockdown/trip.

The only way you are in danger from melee, is if the enemy 5' steps his way to you, little by little over several rounds.

I took this combos, along with aberration blood: tall and Inhuman reach feats. When enlarged, and with combat reflexes, you could completely shut down enemy movement within a 90' x 90' area. Pretty brutal... Combine that with a whirling enhanced weapon... Oh my goodness.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

If you dip into Barbarian, use the Lion Spirit Totem from CC that gives the Pounce ability.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Well he doesn't need to use the Heedless Charge Maneuver, though it is really nice. Personally i took it because i could slam into a guy, move him left or right as i need too and then crash him into his buddy over there and cause them to fall over. Also if they are in a good position you can totally slam both of them into a wall and cause Dungeoncrasher to go off. Its really good for battlefied positioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

How do the stances work?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

You can activate a stance as a swift action. Once you do, it stays on and remains active, providing a passive benefit until you toggle it off again or fall unconscious. Stances aren't included in your maneuvers readied; you always have access to all of the stances you know without readying them.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Or you can just buy a 1400 gp pair of steadfast boots. As before, I'm assuming a guisarme. While wielding it, you are always readied vs. a charge. Anyone charges you, they are at a -2 AC, an you get to deal double damage (for being readied). You make you triggered attack when they enter the square you threaten (10') away. Assuming also that you have knockdown, you get to trip them afterwards. If somehow you miss, don't worry, they will continue their charge triggering an AoO, as soon as they leave the square you had threatened with the guisarme. They are still at -2 AC, so you are likely to hit. And guess what. Knockdown/trip.

The only way you are in danger from melee, is if the enemy 5' steps his way to you, little by little over several rounds.

I took this combos, along with aberration blood: tall and Inhuman reach feats. When enlarged, and with combat reflexes, you could completely shut down enemy movement within a 90' x 90' area. Pretty brutal... Combine that with a whirling enhanced weapon... Oh my goodness.
    Or tactical teleportation. That would do it too, but it's not common among non-bosses for most of the game. Anyway, I'm trying to get a handle on your math.

Your aberration feats get you a 15ft reach right on a medium race? With a reach weapon you hit out to 30, but usually have a dead space for that weapon from 5-15?
    Enlarge doubles your reach to 30. Reach weapon dead space within 30, but hit things from 35-60? 60ft left, 60ft right, and 10ft wide body.
    What am I missing?

And yeah, those steadfast boots are worth it necessary. +4 to resist trips/bullrushes/overruns alone is almost worth that alone. In certain games, it's worth more I think.
    The ability to just shut down an ubercharger? Totally worth it. For an ubercharger, it's worth it since you'll probably drop most of the people who charge you after your initial charge. (Double damage on an ubercharger that just power attacked for full and dropped his AC to 0.)

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Or tactical teleportation. That would do it too, but it's not common among non-bosses for most of the game. Anyway, I'm trying to get a handle on your math.
    I think the confusion comes down to a typo. I just take Aberration Blood feat (TAIL), and Inhuman Reach. Not to be confused with Willing Deformity & Deformiy (TALL). So I just get a single +5 to my natural reach. = 0-10' reach.

Enlarge person or righteous might, doubles your dimensions, so you now have a 0-20' reach.

Ranged weapon (either a spiked chain, or a guisarme/spiked guantlet combo) doubles reach 0-40'.

40' left + 10' body + 40' right = 90'

If you are evil, and want to spend two more feats on the willing deformity combo, then yeah, you could expand this to 100'... But I thought 90' was sufficient to piss off a DM..

18. - Top - End - #18

Honestly for a well rounded fighter I'd just go warblade from level 5 onwards.
    Very easy to build and you don't have to follow feat chains to be useful. Also you are more versatile than a fighter who follows a certain style of feats.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

I think the confusion comes down to a typo. I just take Aberration Blood feat (TAIL), and Inhuman Reach. Not to be confused with Willing Deformity & Deformiy (TALL). So I just get a single +5 to my natural reach. = 0-10' reach.

Enlarge person or righteous might, doubles your dimensions, so you now have a 0-20' reach.

Ranged weapon (either a spiked chain, or a guisarme/spiked guantlet combo) doubles reach 0-40'.

If you are evil, and want to spend two more feats on the willing deformity combo, then yeah, you could expand this to 100'... But I thought 90' was sufficient to piss off a DM..
    I see said the blind man.
    Thanks for clearing it up for me.

I dunno, if your goal is to piss off a DM, you can always go that one extra step.

20. - Top - End - #20

I don't know about this. It seems pretty clear from the SRD table that going up a size category increases your reach by 5', rather than doubling it.

I think it should be (5 base + 5 large + 5 feat)*2 reach weapon.