New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default The most powerful entities of Planescape

What are they? I know of archdevils, Elder Evils and various other popular antagonists, but are there any bigger guys around? I don't necessarily need a well-documented being. It could be a rumored threat, an old legend... anything, really. Any pointers? Bonus points if it's evil and/or insane and/or very obscure.

The Lady of Pain comes pretty close to what I'm looking for, but I'd prefer not to use her directly.

No, Pun-Pun isn't the guy I'm looking for.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The most powerful entities of Planescape

Draedens? May or may not be related to The Sleeping Ones.

http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index....ge_Before_Ages

Fiendish Codex I mentions immense living creatures known as draedens who existed before the planes existed, including one called Ulgurshek who fell asleep while the Abyss formed around it. The draedens were first mentioned in the Dungeons & Dragons Immmortal Set, which described the draedens as clusters of mouths and tentacles the size of demiplanes who were descendants of beings who may have created the multiverse long before the time of the Immortals. They despise elemental material, seeing everything but perfect void as an unwelcome imposition in their domain. After a period of war and strife ending at least 200 million years ago, the draedens retired, deciding to outlast their enemies by waiting until the rest of creation destroyed itself.

The Inner Planes campaign expansion for the Planescape campaign mentions beings called the Sleeping Ones by the kuo-toa, monumental creatures who caused the multiverse to come into being and then severed contact with the cosmos, sealing themselves away in the Paraelemental Plane of Ice until their powers are needed again. These creatures, said to be many, many miles long, inspire a numbing awe in those explorers who venture near the tombs in which they dream until the end of days.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3

DwarfClericGuy

I'll have to take a closer look, but they seem to fit perfectly. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HammeredWharf View Post
    What are they? I know of archdevils, Elder Evils and various other popular antagonists, but are there any bigger guys around? I don't necessarily need a well-documented being. It could be a rumored threat, an old legend... anything, really. Any pointers? Bonus points if it's evil and/or insane and/or very obscure.

The Lady of Pain comes pretty close to what I'm looking for, but I'd prefer not to use her directly.

No, Pun-Pun isn't the guy I'm looking for.
    If you're talking Planescape, not all the planar stuff that came later, you are kind of out of luck since they didn't go much in for talking about power levels. Elder Evils (with the exception of Tharizdun) whatnot didn't really come around until later. Mostly it's vague hints for DMs to develop or not as they see fit.

Off the top of my head:

- The Lord of the Ninth. None of this Asmodeus nonsense that came about later. No one knows who or what it is or much of anything beyond the rumored existence - all the other Lords of Nine bow to something, it's just presumably so far beyond the others in power that i can keep them in line.
    - Whatever used the language of the Last Word. When Orcus died and Tenebrous arose, he found ancient ruins on Pelion
    - whatever is trapped in lowest layer of Elysium

Probably quite a few one-liners in various books I've forgotten.

Technically, Draedens and Old Ones aren't really a part of the PS multiverse, since BECMI/Mystara's multiverse was a quite different animal. PS made some half-hearted attempts to bring Mystara in with an off-hand mention of a Draeden layer ofthe Abyss (doesn't really work) and a shadow elf NPc in Uncaged (and a handful of minor mentions other places), but the Old Ones weren't ever mentioned that I can remember. The two multiverses and assumptions about how things work don't really work together. Old Ones, btw, are to Immorals (gods) what Immortals are to mortals.
    Last edited by BWR; 2014-10-17 at 06:13 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

How about the Powers, as described here?

http://mimir.net/essays/sourcesofpower.html

next step up from gods, but a step below "The Source". Possibly not even sentient.

6. - Top - End - #6

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    If you're talking Planescape, not all the planar stuff that came later, you are kind of out of luck since they didn't go much in for talking about power levels. Elder Evils (with the exception of Tharizdun) whatnot didn't really come around until later. Mostly it's vague hints for DMs to develop or not as they see fit.
    I'm not too picky when it comes to sources. I'd prefer things mentioned in 3e/3.5e sourcebooks like Manual of the Planes, Elder Evils, Fiend Folio, etc.. This topic has already been quite helpful, especially because I can use the ones that don't fit fully as red herrings or ideas tossed by NPCs.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Add Primus to that list, not quite god status but pretty close. He's missing from the list of powers linked it seems.

The ruler of Khin Oin and the General for the 'Loth's presumably are highly powerful I'd imagine, especially the latter. Baernloth's would be a step down but are probably on par with archdevils et al. The Slaad lords again are pretty powerful in their own right.

The Vaati probably should have some power. Genie/ish lords.

Really, Planescape has a pretty large cast and I could go on for a while. You might want to bring the question to Afro's thread for suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

8. - Top - End - #8

Manual of the Planes mentions city-sized monsters "and these are just the smaller ones" visible in the distance, when characters go to the Far Realm. Far Realm creatures and Elder Evils sometimes overlap.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Manual of the Planes mentions city-sized monsters "and these are just the smaller ones" visible in the distance, when characters go to the Far Realm. Far Realm creatures and Elder Evils sometimes overlap.
    I do love me a goood far realm creature. Some beings that are so alien that they drive players mad... roll a will save, everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

What precisely are you looking for, HammeredWharf? I can point you to the right thing if I know what profile it has to fit.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've always liked the Ancient Baatorians in this category. There are areas in the Nine Hells where even archdevils do not go. The Lord of the Ninth, quite possibly the most powerful non-divine entity outside of the Far Realm, managed to trap them there - but even he couldn't destroy them, and even imprisoned they scare the everloving crud out of Baator's current denisons.

It's relevant, too, that the Lord of the Ninth is the most powerful non-divine entity, since Baatorians specifically screw up any and all divine energy in their viscinity. They're god-killers, and powerful enough individually to take on just about anything short of a god. The Lord of the Ninth is not just unimaginably powerful but is also by far the single greatest chessmaster in the cosmos, and they give him problems on sheer potency alone.

No stats for them exist outside of a single representative in Elder Evils, and even that one's got some funny things going on. And there's a race of those guys.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    I do love me a goood far realm creature. Some beings that are so alien that they drive players mad... roll a will save, everybody.
    I've included several bizarre Far Realm excursions in my campaigns, usually with lots of Will saves vs confusion/headache and eyes-bleeding effects. One that I remember well was a crystalline entity composed of millions of individual personality slivers, all chiming together in a mental chorus so horrible that it sounds good to the ear as it liquifies the brain of the listener. It floated among rainbow clouds full of glass shards of crystal, surrounded by subjective gravity and the corpses of the normal vegetable vermin that phase between the various transparent layers of that area of the Far Realm (the shrubs that ventured too close spontaneously grew minds as they were seeded with crystal parasites, minds which then imploded under the weight of the mental "singing" of the entity).

The whole scene could have taken place in Celestia, with bright light and pretty colors...except Celestia doesn't cause your brain to leak out of your ears.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    How about the Powers, as described here?

http://mimir.net/essays/sourcesofpower.html

next step up from gods, but a step below "The Source". Possibly not even sentient.
    That's not official PLanescape material as far as I can tell.
    In Planescape, all gods, archdevils and demon lords and whathaveyous were referred to as Powers. THere was no distinction between them, and Powers wasn't a category on it's own, it was just catch-all term for the movers and shakers of the planes.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
    In Planescape, all gods, archdevils and demon lords and whathaveyous were referred to as Powers. THere was no distinction between them, and Powers wasn't a category on it's own, it was just catch-all term for the movers and shakers of the planes.
    That's not quite accurate. Usually gods earn the tag "powers", for example planes of law, the baator piece, under powers, gods are listed. The arch devils are covered later.
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    That's not quite accurate. Usually gods earn the tag "powers", for example planes of law, the baator piece, under powers, gods are listed. The arch devils are covered later.
    Take a look at his bibliography for your first linked page:

Bibliography
    Baker, Rich, Rob Heinsoo, and James Wyatt. Manual of the Planes. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2008.
    Baker, Rich, James Jacobs, and Steve Winter. Lords of Madness. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2005.
    Baur, Wolfgang. "A Gathering of Winds." Dungeon #129. Bellevue, WA: Paizo Publishing, 2005.
    Cook, Monte with William W. Connors. The Inner Planes. Renton, WA: TSR, 1998.
    Holian, Gary. "Silent Sorcery: The Silent Ones of Keoland." Living Greyhawk Journal #4. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2001.
    Jacobs, James. "Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Dagon." Dragon #349. Bellevue, WA: Paizo Publishing, 2006.
    -----. "Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Demogorgon." Dragon #357. Bellevue, WA: Paizo Publishing, 2007.
    -----. "The Ecology of the Kaorti." Dragon #358. Bellevue, WA: Paizo Publishing,
    Laws, Robin D., and Robert J. Schwalb. Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2006.
    McComb, Colin, and Monte Cook. Hellbound: The Blood War. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1996.
    Mentzer, Frank. Dungeons & Dragons Immortals Set. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1987.
    Mona, Erik. Age of Worms Overload. Bellevue, WA: Paizo Publishing, 2005.[1]
    -----. "The Whispering Cairn." Dungeon #124. Bellevue, WA: Paizo Publishing, 2005.
    Pramas, Chris. Guide to Hell. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 1999.
    Schwalb, Robert J. Elder Evils. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2007.
    Stark, Ed, James Jacobs, and Erik Mona. Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2006.
    Varney, Allen, ed. Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1994.
    Notice how many books were published a decade or more after Planescape was discontinued, and how few of the old ones are actual Planescape titles. The same holds true of the second page you linked, which in fact does not provide any legitimate sources at all.

Your definition of "Power" may be novel and interesting, but it's not supported in Planescape canon. It is in fact fan-made.
    Last edited by EisenKreutzer; 2014-10-17 at 04:51 PM.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

The Aboleth Quasi-Deities known as the Elder Evils. If you were referring to these Elder Evils in our post and not the ones in the book of the same name, I apologize in advance. These guys are so powerful, they don't HAVE stats. These guys are so powerful, one of the books that they are contained in suggests that you could use Great Old Ones to replace them. What's even better than all that? Almost no one knows they exist, both IC and OOC. They are only mentioned in a few books, and at least one of them (arguably at least two of them) was not even given a location.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Take a look at his bibliography for your first linked page:

Notice how many books were published a decade or more after Planescape was discontinued, and how few of the old ones are actual Planescape titles. The same holds true of the second page you linked, which in fact does not provide any legitimate sources at all.

Your definition of "Power" may be novel and interesting, but it's not supported in Planescape canon. It is in fact fan-made.
    And you're dead wrong. The example I just offered you is from official planescape material. Here, let me cut and paste the section from Planes of Law for you that I mentioned.

Spoiler: Planes of Law
    Show
    THg PeWERS
    There’s no surfeit of powers who make their home on Baator. Many of those
    who do aren’t even human. Among these are Bargrivyek of the goblins, Kurtulmak
    of the koholds, and Sekolah of the sahuagins. There’re also powers
    worshiped mainly by humans, hut they’ve got some inhuman followers as
    well. These deities include Set of the Egyptian pantheon, Hecate of the Greek
    (she keeps her secondary realm here - her primary realm is in the Gray
    Waste), and Takhisis of Krynn.
    Most people don’t seem to realize that Takhkis and Tiamat, mother of the
    evil dragons, are awfully similar. There‘s some who say they’re the same,
    since their avatars both appear as five-headed dragons of many colors and
    command the respect of evil dragonkind. Other bloods, equally as knowledgeable,
    assert that Takhisis and Tiamat are as different as night and day. They
    point out that the denizens of Krynn revere Takhisis as a greater power, while
    Tiamat’s nothing more than a glorified watchdog to the second layer of Baator.
    (Both sides have a piece of the truth, hut the dark of it is that no oni
    really knows.) Still others say Tiamat’s a reflection of Takhisis, and they leavt
    it at that. Regardless of the truth, both Takhisis and Tiamat are fiendishly
    clever and possess godlike powers. They’re probably better left alone, and
    that’s all anyone really needs to know.
    Certainly there are more powers living on Baator. So many creatures follow
    law and evil that it’s hard to imagine that the ones noted above are all the
    powers living in the Nine Hells. Doubtless there are others who have chosen
    to remain hidden, or others who simply haven’t advertised their presence too
    widely.

Note I didn't link anything, so I don't know why you're saying I did. Also note how there is no mention of the arch devils here. Oddly though, in your favor, Planes of Chaos does consider the demon lords to be the equivalent of powers though it likewise lists many gods in the Abyss section. It's a bit of an inconsistency across the books, but most of them treat gods as "powers" with some exceptions for otherwise powerful entities.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    What precisely are you looking for, HammeredWharf? I can point you to the right thing if I know what profile it has to fit.
    This guy seriously knows his stuff. If anyone can give you exactly what you need, it's Afro.

19. - Top - End - #19

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    It's... not that precise. I just have a McGuffin in my campaign and I need to explain its origins. It's (probably) a body part of something, but that something has to be noticeably more powerful than the likes of Asmodeus for the story to work. It's definitely evil, so the first thing that came to mind was Tharizdun, but I'm looking for alternatives to use as fluff (so that it's not "Roll Knowledge -> Ok, it's Tharizdun's kidney.") or even replacement, because the story arc hasn't started yet.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, anything on the Mimir, like anything by Rip, is practically canon by virtue of awesomeness.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Neth, the Plane That Lives

General of Gehenna

But the strongest is, probably, the Abyss itself:
    The Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss sourcebook suggests that the Abyss may be alive, and that it spawns demons out of its urge to spread chaos and destruction.
    Also, from the Dragon #357, pg. 30:
    ... Yet the deities of this forgotten pantheon did not expect the Abyss to react as it did.
    Even as they cast N'gharl into the Astral Plane, the void left behind by the layer's destruction lashed out - the Abyss itself reacted reflexively, like a hungry predator awakened from an eons long torpor. It struck at these deities who dared destroy even such a fragmentary part of it, and in an instant annihilated the entire pantheon. All that remained were the pantheon's memories and dreams, and the Abyss seized even these. Today, the empty space that once held N'gharl is known as the Dreaming Gulf, and the dreams of those dead deities have been transformed into an entirely new race of demons known as the loumaras.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HammeredWharf View Post
    It's... not that precise. I just have a McGuffin in my campaign and I need to explain its origins. It's (probably) a body part of something, but that something has to be noticeably more powerful than the likes of Asmodeus for the story to work. It's definitely evil, so the first thing that came to mind was Tharizdun, but I'm looking for alternatives to use as fluff (so that it's not "Roll Knowledge -> Ok, it's Tharizdun's kidney.") or even replacement, because the story arc hasn't started yet.
    I suppose it depends what you want it to tie into. If it's the Far Realm or an aberrant source, it could be a crystallized bit of the Blood Queen's slime from the time when she first brushed the Prime Material Plane, or the preserved brain of the last mindflayer to have worked the dreaded timestorm that catapulted their race into the distant past from the far-off future. If it's Lower Planes you're after, there are lots of terrifying things down there. Without knowing why it has to be "noticeably more powerful than Asmodeus" or what makes the story work, though, I don't have enough to really go on. If you're interested but don't want to share publicly, feel free to PM me.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.