New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default What Precisely Constitutes Advertising?

For as long as I can remember I was under the impression that advertising on GITP can and will resort to permabans; however, I've seen a lot lately of what very much appears to be advertising and yet appears to be allowed. Maybe the rules changed and I missed it. As someone who sells some 3rd Party Pathfinder stuff on other sites, I want to be very clear on exactly what is "advertising" and what isn't.

Is it not advertising if the product you're talking about isn't for sale *yet,* but will be? Are links in your signature allowed? Is it simply a matter of limiting the advertising to a post per day so as not to be obnoxious? Does it have to be in a certain forum?

I enjoy GITP both as a resource and a community and I'd hate to not be a part of it, but I'd also hate to be missing out on an opportunity to sell books to people who might like to buy them. Hence the question.
    Shield-eaters and world leaders have many likes alike

Freelance D20 Design Guy

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: What Precisely Constitutes Advertising?

Here is the relevant section from the forum rules, which I believe answers all of your questions quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by The Forum Rules
    Commercial (For-Profit) Advertising
    Posting advertisements for commercial products, services, or events will result in an immediate ban, and all advertisements removed. Note that a suggestion of a product in the course of a related discussion is not considered advertising (unless the poster holds a personal stake in the finances of the company suggested). For example, if you are posting to a thread regarding d20 rules for shipboard combat, feel free to point other posters to a sourcebook on the topic. You can even link to the company that publishes it—as long as you do not work for that company. But do not start a thread whose sole purpose is to trumpet Book X and declare its greatness to the population at large.

(Exception: Representatives of Giant in the Playground and/or its licensees and distributors are permitted to make posts advertising services and products related directly to Giant in the Playground. They are not permitted to make posts advertising other services they might provide.)

Posters are not permitted to advertise or sell goods or services on this forum. If you wish to advertise a non-commercial website, please refer to rules regarding advertising.
    If you see a post that you feel violates the forum rules, for the above or any other reason, feel free to report it.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Roger that.
    Shield-eaters and world leaders have many likes alike

Freelance D20 Design Guy

4. - Top - End - #4
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Groovy.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex