New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default What Would YOU do with Multiple Attacks?

Let's say you have five total attacks that you can make in a full attack. Using every resource available to you, what are some of the possible different things you would do to get the most out of these attacks? This can come in the form of sneak attack optimization, poisons, tripping, etc.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What Would YOU do with Multiple Attacks?

Spoiler: If it's a build you wanted
    Show
    Lion Spirit Totem Wolf Totem Barbarian 2/Fighter 2/Barbarian +2/Frenzied Berserker 10
    1st: Intimidating Rage, Destructive Rage (Human)
    2nd: Improved Trip (bonus from Wolf Totem)
    3rd: Knock-Down, Power Attack (Fighter)
    4th: EWP (Spiked Chain) Cleave (Fighter)
    6th: Great Cleave
    9th: Extend Rage
    12th: Combat Reflexes
    15th: Improved Initiative

Before level 4 we use a guisarme + spiked gauntlet. Sixteenth level is the point at which we have five attacks (1 from Frenzy, four from BAB). Use all five attacks to deal damage, trigger Knock-Down, succeed on the trip attempt (because if you're failing that opposed strength check, it's too big to be tripped anyways), and get another free attack. Continue until everything is dead.

Alternately, use the withdraw action instead. Fighting is scary.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2014-10-17 at 10:42 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well each attack hits 3 consecutive squares within my throwing weapon range/3x my natural reach(whichever is less).

Anyone hit by any of these attacks results in a trip attack against them and a normal attack against everyone in their square coupled with a normal attack against anyone in 2 consecutive squares connected to the Trip square. Anyone tripped results in an attack against their square and 2 consecutive squares connected to their square.

Anyone hit by any of these attacks is also knocked back if I choose by my bullrush check. If they hit a person then they both are tripped (see paragraph 2). If they hit an obstacle they take Dungeoncrasher damage.

Anyone hit by any of these attacks also makes a save vs Daze and a save vs Staggered.

Now just to not overdo it, let's only assume a +1 Prismatic Spray weapon. On a crit the victim is subjected to a DC 20 Prismatic Spray.

Ingredients:
    Needed classes: Fighter(Dungeoncrasher) 2 + Rogue 1 or Swordsage 1 for SA + Warhulk 4 + Bloodstorm Blade 4
    Feat Trees: Knock-down, Knockback, Shock Trooper, Boomerang Daze, Staggering Strike
    Weapon: Prismatic Spray Boomerang

Summary: Each attack/cleave/AoO results in attacking everyone several times and leaving them prone, next to wall, and unable to act.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-10-17 at 10:52 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    Well each attack hits 3 consecutive squares within my throwing weapon range.

Anyone hit by any of these attacks results in a trip attack against everyone in their square coupled with a normal attack against anyone in 2 consecutive squares connected to the Trip square. Anyone tripped results in an attack against their square and 2 consecutive squares connected to their square.

Anyone hit by any of these attacks is also knocked back if I choose by my bullrush check. If they hit a person then they both are tripped (see paragraph 2). If they hit an obstacle they take Dungeoncrasher damage.

Anyone hit by any of these attacks also makes a save vs Daze and a save vs Staggered.

Now just to not overdo it, let's only assume a +1 Prismatic Spray weapon. On a crit the victim is subjected to a DC 20 Prismatic Spray.
    That's pretty great. What's the build for this?
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    That's pretty great. What's the build for this?
    Warhulk Bloodstorm Blade with a bunch of feats. I never finished it because I don't like the Warhulk's "no time to think" ability. You can do the same with War Mind but it is only 2 squares at a time.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-10-17 at 10:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Alternately, use the withdraw action instead. Fighting is scary.
    I was going to post that without the bluetext.

Now, if my character had such attacks, I'd go one of a few directions. The first is one or more of the spells that let you make full attacks. I like blade of pain and fear for this because you can combine it with Fell Frighten and Dreadful Wrath. Unfortunately this really needs Dread Witch and it's really hard to get into Dread Witch, have a decent DC on the spell, and also get five attacks. I suppose you could be a Wizard 5/Dread Witch 5/Incantatrix 10 with Arcane Disciple (war) and dual wield.

The second would be a Factotum archer, ideally with that PF feat that lets you sum the damage of all the attacks you make in a round for purposes of DR. Then I'd get Wild Talent for psionic minor creation and fire off 48 poisoned arrows in one round. At best something not poison-immune has an 8% chance of making every save.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    I was going to post that without the bluetext.

Now, if my character had such attacks...
    Thank you for this. That was the best laugh I've had all day
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Be a druid wildshaped into something that naturally produces venom with 5 attacks for venomfire, the fanged ring, bands of blood rage for +5 damage, Necklace of natural attacks for a bunch of extra damage of various types from converting it all into +1 bonuses, amulet of mighty fists +5 and Bite of the Weretiger for extra strength and damage. There is probably more but this does damage of natural attack+1 size+20d6 (If you don't boost your cl. It can be as high as you can get with cl boosts)+10+1d6 fire+1d6 electricity +1d6 cold +2d6 damage+either .5 or 1 strength modifier (Which is creature strength+12 enhancement)+1d6 making it all non-lethal (This can be suppressed if need be)

Lose 5 health each turn and 1d6 health per attack

There is probably other boosts you can stack in.

(Might have to stick the necklace and amulet together)

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, another idea: Beast Strike. Now, granted, giving a Warshaper +1 to attack will give them more benefit than an additional five attacks, but on a Totemist or Druid it's actually not bad, particularly if you're using size increases and such. (And venomfire, as mentioned.)

Thank you for this. That was the best laugh I've had all day
    I aim to amuse.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

1) Power Attack + Cornugon Smash + Shatter Defenses; Use PA on your highest iterative, it hits and you free action intimidate; once they are shaken, all your remaining attacks will be against their flatfooted AC (and sneak attack will be enabled.)

2) Combine them all into one Pummeling Charge, and combine with the called shot rules for a debilitating blow.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I guess I deserve the title mocking, lol.

Beast Strike--does the scaling with this really amount to much? I can see where having many attacks and size increases, maybe one of those templates like Half-Vampire that sets a default Medium NA damage to 1d6 if it's originally a 1d4, can make a bit of difference, but I can't foresee the damage scaling from this being anymore useful than a standard sneak attack.

And dear lord, Boomerang Daze strikes again. That's why I usually try to stay away from campaign-specific/dragon materials. Always feels wildly overpowered in simplicity...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kevingway View Post
    And dear lord, Boomerang Daze strikes again. That's why I usually try to stay away from campaign-specific/dragon materials. Always feels wildly overpowered in simplicity...
    Oh the Boomerang Daze was thrown on as an afterthought. It is not needed for the build (Staggering Strike is even there as a balanced substitute). The real core of the build is Races of Stone + Player's Handbook + Miniature's Handbook + Tome of Battle.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-10-20 at 01:00 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I would draw a weapon and throw it at you, dealing extra damage, I will then use the thrown weapon to steal your weapon and have it fly back to me where I will sheath it and draw it again throwing it at you again dealing extra damage because I draw weapons really well. I will keep doing that.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

So, I'm the only one who likes to shape-shift into something really, really mean, with lots and lots of heads while sacrificing most of my spell slots for arcane strike? :(

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

The real question is: Does Bloodstorm Blade work with Boomerang Ricochet?

Because what's better than attacking once to hit 3 squares? Attacking once to hit 4 squares, with two of the squares getting hit twice.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    The real question is: Does Bloodstorm Blade work with Boomerang Ricochet?

Because what's better than attacking once to hit 3 squares? Attacking once to hit 4 squares, with two of the squares getting hit twice.
    I don't think so. Both War Hulk and War Mind choose squares rather than select targets. War Hulk even mentions any special effects only affect the first target and the rest of the creatures in the squares are attacked normally. So Boomerang Richochet probably only adds 1 creature, not 2-3 squares.