New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default 3.5 lycanthrope question

Ok, since I wanted to play a monk, I made a monk. I stupidly made a halfling monk. To get my damage up to par, I asked if I could take Improved Natural Attack. I was told only if I took a monster class, and the only suitable one I found was lycanthrope. I am allowed to buyoff the LA, which will happen eventually, but am stuck with a level of animal I cannot get around. Anyway, enough of that rant, lets start on a rant/question.

When I went looking for a good animal to use, looking at the stats as the "Making a lycanthrope" section in the MMI, I found some contradictory text. In this section, when you shift into hybrid or animal form, you get bonuses to your physical ability scores based on the animals stats-10 or -11, depending on if the number is even or odd, respectively. So a baboon would be 4, 4, and 2. Looking at the "as players" portion, it says it adds the animals ability modifiers, so in this case it would be 2, 2 and 1. Or so my DM says. I point out that that's the way they are on the table, he says that table probably wasn't intended for players, only monsters. I don't think there are any differences between applying a template for an NPC and a PC, is there? Can any find me something that proves this one way or another? Thanks.

Note: At this point this is for future reference, the DM and I have come to an agreement on the subject, I just really want to know.
    Last edited by ShadowfireOmega; 2014-10-17 at 11:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 lycanthrope question

Unless your DM is houseruling a difference, then no, there should not be any difference between a PC and an NPC lycanthrope.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Werewolf is +2 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con, and no there is no difference between NPC and PC template application, though some templates shouldnt be put on PCs. And if he's concerned about you being OP, you're a monk , but seriously Lycanthropes cant use there power all the time, as they have a very negative rep.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2014-10-17 at 11:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also take a look at savage species. It has all the "Rules" for making monster characters. keep in mind that house rules if any can change any part of the game. I play with a GM that gives ALL Dragons deity levels...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Please note as a halfling lycanthrope there are are few you don't qualify for. Since you are small and the lycanthropy condition/template requires within one size category you cannot be any lycanthrope that turns you large. You do however qualify for much smaller than usual critters.
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Unless your DM is houseruling a difference, then no, there should not be any difference between a PC and an NPC lycanthrope.
    Well there is one. PC lycanthropes have an LA, NPC lycanthropes do not.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by TypoNinja View Post
    Please note as a halfling lycanthrope there are are few you don't qualify for. Since you are small and the lycanthropy condition/template requires within one size category you cannot be any lycanthrope that turns you large. You do however qualify for much smaller than usual critters.
    yea, I got that one early on. I really want to minimize the HD I take tho, so it was no biggie.

Thanks everyone, I will check out references and such.