1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Tracking Blockers and Project Wonderful

I run the AdBlock and Ghostery extensions on my Chromebook. I've got the site whitelisted in AdBlock but I'm still blocking the trackers; does this affect the click-thru counter for Project Wonderful?

Edit: Fooled around with the settings. Apparently blocking the Project Wonderful tracker also disables the ads. Guess I answered my own question.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2014-10-18 at 08:05 AM.
    The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai Me.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

Seven Cities of Syraxia - New Mini-Setting.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Loving the Smell of Bat Guano in the Morning Administrator

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Tracking Blockers and Project Wonderful

Project Wonderful does not track you, no more so than any website does. It knows that you've requested an image, and it knows enough about you to send you that image. It stores that information long enough to know the number of hits and the number of unique hits on that image that day.

Essentially, it tracks visitors in aggregate, in order to know the effectiveness of the advertising (the number of hits and number of unique hits are provided to advertisers, the rest is not). It does not track you individually.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

By hits and unique hits, you mean only the ping that has the system load the advert image for me, aye? Or would I help you guys out by clicking ads more often?

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfate View Post
    Devils! Stop binding SiuiS' pony!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Loving the Smell of Bat Guano in the Morning Administrator

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    By hits and unique hits, you mean only the ping that has the system load the advert image for me, aye?
    Ah, yes, that is recorded/reported in aggregate too. I was speaking only of what happens on page load. They record when the image is loaded (viewed) and when you click on the link (click-through). Both of these are reported to advertisers in both the total number and total unique number.

Again, they don't track you individually even if you click an advertisement, they get just enough information to track an advertisement's effectiveness in aggregate form (information already given to a webserver on any request), and report only these aggregate numbers to advertisers.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak