Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default The Death of Magic, 3.5 Tristalt -- OOC

Welcome to the game. Go ahead and introduce yourselves. If you want to make any changes to characters/gear pregame, this is your chance. IC should be up some time tommorow or the next day.

Edit: I need everyone to double check their skills. The 3.5 sheet doesn't reflect PF skills well, so we have to be extra careful. I'll go over them again once before we get started.

Character Player Init Fort/Ref/Will AC/Touch/FF
    Lux Aegis013 -1 +7/+0/+9 11/9/11
    Elsin, Knight of Valor Nevershutup +5 +12/+6/+14 27/13/27
    Threan Mistmantle Ellowryn +5 +2/+8/+6 21/17/17
    Asasar Besnyn Blueiji +9 +5/+7/+7 16/12/14
    "536" NekoIncardine +2 +3/+6/+5 16/12/14

Spoiler: The Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

DnD 3.5 (with homebrew/pathfinder by request only)

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

homebrewed urban setting, with some setting info stolen from the Tippyverse (resetting food traps are a thing)

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4-5

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Here

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 4, 6000xp, Tristalt

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

5400g

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Anything official is fine, ask for pf or homebrew. You may gestalt PrCs, and dual progression PrCs are fine.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Any 3.5. You can run RHD up one side, LA up another, and still have a third for classes if you want.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

40 point buy

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

We'll use regular DnD alignment.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Go crazy, no multi-classing penalties.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

We'll use the roller. Sometimes I'll make rolls in secret and just announce the result. I'll roll some things for the players, like passive spot/search.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Feats: You gain an extra feat per HD, so a character should have 2 at level 1, +1 at level 2, +2 at level 3, etc. I'm doing this in lieu of flaws, but you can use traits if you want.

Fractional BAB and Saves, but you only get the initial +2.5 bump once per save.

We'll use PF skills (no x4 at first level, but if you have ranks in a class skill you get a +3). Flying is not a thing, Concentration still is. The other consolidations are fine (Perception, Stealth, etc.) Ask if you are worried about how this affects prereqs.

Regional feats may not be regional, ask if you want something.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Background is misleading. Tell me about your character and how they fit into a city in the tippyverse. Feel free to help me out with an NPC contact or two, and some setting details. I'll incorporate all I can.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Roleplaying and combat.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Any official 3.5, including Dragon Magazine. Other things by request, only.

Rulings since the 16:

HP are max at 1st level, Half HD+1 for each level after.
    We are using PF rules for Orisons and Cantrips
    Healer casting is Charisma SAD. I have a list of spells I add to their list automatically. Ask if curious.
    Gestalt feats (like Swift Hunter, etc) have their benefit capped at character level.

Approved Pathfinder Classes Archetypes
    Alchemist None yet
    Bard Arcane Duelist
    Druid Green Faith Initiate
    Investigator None yet
    Inquisitor None yet
    Oracle None yet
    Soul Knife None yet
    Vitalist None yet
    Wizard Valet Familiar, Creation subschool, Arcane Crafter subschool

Approved Homebrew Author Notes
    Beguiler Grod_The_Giant
    Machinist jiriku Standard large list caveat
    Magitech Templar Person_Man Standard large list caveat
    Monk T.G. Oskar Wholeness of body limited to 2x Class level per encounter
    Monk jiriku You can have the same Wholeness of body at 2x Class level per encounter
    Ninja Circle of Life Standard Large List Caveat
    Rogue Grod_The_Giant
    Runewarden Xerlith Large List, quicksilver steel is swift action to activate
    Truenamer Kellus Standard Large List Caveat
    Warlock T.G. Oskar Standard Large List Caveat
    Wyrmlord T.G. Oskar

Original Recruitment Thread
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2015-02-24 at 09:57 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Death of Magic, 3.5 Tristalt -- OOC

Howdy all, i will be playing Threan your all around utility sneak thief. I will use Purple for my speech color.

For simplicity, i just went ahead and used the PF version of MW as the only real difference between the two are skills and CMB/D (which i can just ignore). I also find that the site doesn't reset my skill choices when i use the PF version.

I updated my items, grabbing an Amulet of Giant Vermin to give me emergency flight and to use up that last 500gp that i was having a hard time spending. So i should be good to go whenever you are!
    Last edited by Ellowryn; 2014-10-19 at 04:53 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine started in a Dwarven church of Pelor, now with a moon!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Huzzah! Greetings.

Claiming Dark Orange for speech color.

Corrected the pricing issues on my sheet. And if it's any help, my skills are done so that the +3 (ranks) from class skill are set in the "Misc" modifier column, the only actual miscellaneous modifier I have is racial +2 to perception.

Additionally, though Lux is intended to be a Divine Gish, binding and meldshaping are very flexible, so he can adapt and should be able to do a lot of things passably when needed.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-10-19 at 05:28 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thank you for accepting Asasasr Besnyn into the campaign, I look forward to a great game.

I think I'll go with Teal for our elven barrister.

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Asasar Besnyn, by Blueiji
    It looked like you had some more purchases to make -- not sure.
    I have some gold left but I was planning on saving it for a future purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    And if it's any help, my skills are done so that the +3 (ranks) from class skill are set in the "Misc" modifier column
    I also did this.

EDIT: I'm posting my backstory here so that I don't lost it when the recruitment thread eventually disappears.

Spoiler
    Show
    Background (in the form of an advertisement)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (The latest advertisement for Asasar's totally legitimate, 5-star, top-notch barrister service.)

Hey there adventurers! Have YOU ever been gypped by an employer? Have YOU ever been sold faulty magic items? Have YOU ever been sent on quests that were too difficult for your current skill level? Then it sounds like you need compensation! And who better to get you that sweet, sweet compensation than Mr. Asasar Besnyn? Asasar Besnyn is a classy, skillful, and knowledgeable barrister with a large history of successful cases. If anyone can get you the justice you deserve, it's this lawyer extraordinaire. So contact Asasar Besnyn today, and get yourself the legal compensation you deserve!

Personality
    Spoiler
    Show
    Asasar Besnyn is a charming, exuberant, and morally questionable barrister. His main motivation in life is monetary wealth, and he's geared his entire life around this goal. Asasar is a people-person through and through, and is always looking to have an uplifting chat. Most of the time, these chats lead to Asasar seeking money or employment, but sometimes they're truly just for fun.

Asasar is true neutral, and is quite the pragmatist. He takes and reacts to information in ways that he sees to be reasonable and logical. Despite this, he's a little bit more likely to take a risk that your average pragmatist, and he's very willing to experiment in the unknown.

Making plans irritates Asasar. It feels binding and restrictive. Because of that, he's learned to think on his feet, and whether on the battlefield or in the courtroom, Asasar is likely to be improvising.

Personal History
    Spoiler
    Show
    Asasar Besnyn comes from a long-line of lawyers, and ever since he was little he was taught two things about the world. First, that the way you say something matters more than what you're saying. And second, that every mortal interaction could be seen as a deal of some sort.

Depending on how you look at it, this upbringing either doomed poor little Asasar to a life of false connections and stunted emotional maturity, or trained him to be a successful and dynamic winner. Asasar obviously considers himself the latter, and the way he's lead his life reflects that. From an early age Asasar did as he was told and tried to bargain with everything. This eventually lead him down the path of the Binder, as they have the ability to bargain with the universe itself, and it's hard to get better practice at deal-making than that.

Asasar's second magical development was that of learning a couple phrases of Truespeech, which he actually picked up while scouring a book of legal codes belonging to an ancient civilization. Asasar immediately took a liking to the art of Truespeech, as bending reality to your will using words alone is the sort of thing that appeals to anyone with the sort of ego possessed by Asasar.

Physical Description
    Spoiler
    Show
    Being undead, Asasar is not the prettiest of beings. He has pale, colorless skin (due to losing his blood long ago). His hair is equally pale, but it was like before his transformation as well. Asasar's facial and body features are all thin and angular, a byproduct of his current undead physiology.

In terms of dress, Asasar prefers covering, heavy clothes. He seeks to hides as much of his undead nature as possible under layers and loose garb. Asasar's clothes are often black or dark blue in color.

So basically, Asasar is the D&D version of a modern-day ambulance chaser. He hounds adventuring groups hoping that if he tags along with them long enough they'll find somebody they want to sue (at which point he'll swoop in and accept monetary compensation for helping them pursue justice). I don't mean to offend any lawyers with this character. He's more of a play on general sleazy-type folks, not a play on lawyers. I know a lot of really nice people that are lawyers and I would never intend to imply that they all act like Asasar.
    Last edited by Blueiji; 2014-10-20 at 01:05 AM.
    You found the hidden text! Have a cookie.
    Thanks to The Stoney One for the awesome avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5

ClericGuy

***AND WE HAVE LIFT-OFF***

Sorry.... It was too tempting.

Enter Elsin, a Knight* of Valor. He aims to be a tank, and run up, and hit things. And then not be hit by things. And then he has full cleric casting, along with inquisitor spells, he can be very useful with utility, and time to buff. He will end up using a remix of the Radiant Servant of Pelor on his cleric side/piece/whatchamacallit. I currently have no plans for the other.... tri-s? If anyone has any, I'd love to hear 'em!

Elsin likes a DeepSkyBlue.

*Knight being shown through his actions, rather than an actual title.
    Hey, you. Yeah, you, person reading this. Have a great day!

Jojomo is cool. In fact, I might say that he's the coolest person in the Roleplaying Forums.

Just incase you need to refer to me, and don't want to seem offensive.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Nevershutup View Post
    ***AND WE HAVE LIFT-OFF***

Sorry.... It was too tempting.

Enter Elsin, a Knight* of Valor. He aims to be a tank, and run up, and hit things. And then not be hit by things. And then he has full cleric casting, along with inquisitor spells, he can be very useful with utility, and time to buff. He will end up using a remix of the Radiant Servant of Pelor on his cleric side/piece/whatchamacallit. I currently have no plans for the other.... tri-s? If anyone has any, I'd love to hear 'em!

Elsin likes a DeepSkyBlue.

*Knight being shown through his actions, rather than an actual title.
    A couple of things about Elsin. It appears that you applied the MW bonus to damage and to AC. MW weapons only get a +1 to hit. MW armor just receives a lessened ACP.

You should only have 24 skill points (but will get a +3 bonus for each of your class skills you've invested points in, it works out). However, if you plan to cast in combat I recommend Concentration.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

ClericGuy

I do have a +1 damage bonus from my Quicksilver rune, and a +1 AC on my shield from Shield Specialization (Heavy). However I noticed my error with my Full Plate, thanks for pointing to that.

And I switched ranks in Know. (Planes) for Concentration. If it is easier for you, I will change my skills to have the +3 in the misc. column.

I don't think I ever thanked you for being willing to DM, so: THANK YOU!

Jojomo is cool. In fact, I might say that he's the coolest person in the Roleplaying Forums.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I do have a +1 damage bonus from my Quicksilver rune, and a +1 AC on my shield from Shield Specialization (Heavy). However I noticed my error with my Full Plate, thanks for pointing to that.

And I switched ranks in Know. (Planes) for Concentration. If it is easier for you, I will change my skills to have the +3 in the misc. column.

I don't think I ever thanked you for being willing to DM, so: THANK YOU!
    Happy to. This will be fun.

Could you walk me through your To Hit and Damage calculations, as well as your shield AC? I'm just not coming up with the same numbers. It's probably just one of your features that I'm missing, if you are pretty sure, but I'd like to see the math.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2014-10-19 at 10:26 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Per your request, put in all the different item GP costs. Hopefully I've got everything about right there.

"536" will use Plain Blue.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

After serious consideration, I'm pondering an alternate version of my character, which would only be possible if a divine adaptation of Anima Mage would be allowed. The concept is exactly the same, but the execution is slightly different, and honestly I like it a bit more. Here's the alternate sheet.

It sacrifices getting Divine Impetus earlier to smooth out the Incarnate progression, though it makes the Binder progression less elegant, but keeps full soulbinding. It also closes up a lost cleric casting level. The numbers should all be the same at this level, except I don't have Extra Turning (-4 Turning), and I have a fourth level of Incarnate (+1 Meld [Necrocarnum Weapon for now], +1 Essentia).

Let me know if that's alright with you, and of course, it's fine to say no.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-10-20 at 03:22 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

ClericGuy

Happy to. This will be fun.

Could you walk me through your To Hit and Damage calculations, as well as your shield AC? I'm just not coming up with the same numbers. It's probably just one of your features that I'm missing, if you are pretty sure, but I'd like to see the math.
    Spoiler: Calculations
    Show

To-Hit: +5 (Intuitive Attack: replace Str with Wis for simple melee weapons.)+3 (BAB)+1 (Mwk/+1)=5+3+1=9

Damage: Mace: 1d8+3 Str+1 Enhance.+1 Quicksilver Rune
    Shield: 1d4+1 (1/2 Str)+1 Quicksilver Rune

AC: 10+8 (Fullplate)+5 (2 Heavy Steel Shield+ 2 Stance of the Defending Shell+ 1 Shield Specialization)+ 1 Deflection (1/4 Runewarden Level)+2 Misc (1/2 Runewarden level)=10+8+5+1+2=26

Admittedly a few of those are from Runewarden, and then an obscure feat, so I totally get you wanting the calculations. However, if you want me to change out Runewarden for something else, I can.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Spoiler: Calculations
    Show

To-Hit: +5 (Intuitive Attack: replace Str with Wis for simple melee weapons.)+3 (BAB)+1 (Mwk/+1)=5+3+1=9

Damage: Mace: 1d8+3 Str+1 Enhance.+1 Quicksilver Rune
    Shield: 1d4+1 (1/2 Str)+1 Quicksilver Rune

AC: 10+8 (Fullplate)+5 (2 Heavy Steel Shield+ 2 Stance of the Defending Shell+ 1 Shield Specialization)+ 1 Deflection (1/4 Runewarden Level)+2 Misc (1/2 Runewarden level)=10+8+5+1+2=26

Admittedly a few of those are from Runewarden, and then an obscure feat, so I totally get you wanting the calculations. However, if you want me to change out Runewarden for something else, I can.
    Runewarden is fine. The main thing I had missed was Stance of the Defending Shell, and (embarrassingly enough) I hadn't realized your Mace was enchanted.

Your MW bonus for attacking with the shield will cost you another 300gp, as it has to be crafted as a masterwork weapon to get that bonus. (I think this is correct, but I'm not in a place to check. If you have a citation to the contrary, I'll reconsider.)
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingPirate

After serious consideration, I'm pondering an alternate version of my character, which would only be possible if a divine adaptation of Anima Mage would be allowed. The concept is exactly the same, but the execution is slightly different, and honestly I like it a bit more. Here's the alternate sheet.

It sacrifices getting Divine Impetus earlier to smooth out the Incarnate progression, though it makes the Binder progression less elegant, but keeps full soulbinding. It also closes up a lost cleric casting level. The numbers should all be the same at this level, except I don't have Extra Turning (-4 Turning), and I have a fourth level of Incarnate (+1 Meld [Necrocarnum Weapon for now], +1 Essentia).

Let me know if that's alright with you, and of course, it's fine to say no.
    That's fine.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

That's fine.
    Awesome, thanks. Really looking forward to this.

So we have a:
    Tank+Beatstick (Elsin)
    Skill-monkey+melee (Threan)
    Skill-monkey+ranged (Asasar)
    Trickster Gish (536)
    and Divine Gish (Lux)

If I got anybody's intended role wrong, please correct me. It does look like our entire team is fairly capable when it comes to stealth though.

15. - Top - End - #15

ClericGuy

Awesome, thanks. Really looking forward to this.

So we have a:
    Tank+Beatstick (Elsin)
    Skill-monkey+melee (Threan)
    Skill-monkey+ranged (Asasar)
    Trickster Gish (536)
    and Divine Gish (Lux)

If I got anybody's intended role wrong, please correct me. It does look like our entire team is fairly capable when it comes to stealth though.
    Also we have undead.... and a cleric of Pelor... This does bring about a question for dextercorvia: Can undead be "neutral"? So, the reason for the undead coming into being is more important than the spell used?

EDIT: And the original reason for my post: Half my AC comes from Fullplate. So not quite so stealthy.
    Last edited by Nevershutup; 2014-10-20 at 01:09 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Also we have undead.... and a cleric of Pelor... This does bring about a question for dextercorvia: Can undead be "neutral"? So, the reason for the undead coming into being is more important than the spell used?

EDIT: And the original reason for my post: Half my AC comes from Fullplate. So not quite so stealthy.
    Alignment is very much not so absolute. Undead can be any alignment. I leave it up to the two players in question how they want to handle that dynamic, so long as they come to an agreement that doesn't involve intraparty conflict that slows the game down for everyone.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'd actually recommend mindless undead being Evil by nature, largely because so many spells and the like simply assume it to be the case, particularly in the case of Pelor's Domain spells. I think that the spells such as Animate Dead shouldn't be considered [Evil] though, and the alignment of spells/acts should just depend on the user/motive.

Though, considering our group's very own Asasar, I think we should say that Undead that are not mindless may have their own alignments.

I intend to raise a Necrocarnum Zombie as a minion, and it keeps its mind, but unless someone agrees to it before hand, it's very possible it will be used on slain Evil foes.

So, how are minions going to work? Controlled by the player or the DM?

And will I need to come to agreement with your character, Nevershutup, to get you not to go all Burning Hate on my minion?
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-10-20 at 03:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hrm, didn't realize we had undead in the party. My character doesn't care, but this means our cleric can't use his turn undead ability. Not game breaking but will make it more difficult if/when we face any undead.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine started in a Dwarven church of Pelor, now with a moon!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Either of us could still utilize our Turn Undead class features to actually Turn Undead. It will all be dependent on positioning, since Turn Undead targets based on proximity. If one of us ran into a group of undead and used Turn Undead it would probably run out of hit dice to affect before it gets around to Asasar or my potential minion. Plus Asasar has some Turn Resistance and I can grant the minion Turn resistance by reallocating Essentia.

It will just require some coordination.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-10-20 at 05:33 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ellowryn View Post
    Hrm, didn't realize we had undead in the party. My character doesn't care, but this means our cleric can't use his turn undead ability. Not game breaking but will make it more difficult if/when we face any undead.
    Actually, all my turn attempts are going to be used with Radiant Servant in 2 levels. As for dealing with undead.... I'll go with: Elsin accepts non-mindless undead, and on a very limited basis, mindless undead. He feels that one's body should die when it is their time, but if it is their choice to become an undead, then so be it. However, a necromancer who raises undead willy-nilly, is not ok with him.

So Asasar is ok with him (so long as he maintains a non-evil alignment) and if the owner of the raised corpse is ok with it.

21. - Top - End - #21

536 is so glad she's not undead. Just saying.

EDIT: Permission to add a Cloak Of Resistance to 536 post-acceptance? She has the GP.
    Last edited by NekoIncardine; 2014-10-20 at 11:59 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

So Asasar is ok with him
    Asasar is okay with Elsin too.
    You found the hidden text! Have a cookie.
    Thanks to The Stoney One for the awesome avatar!

23. - Top - End - #23

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blueiji View Post
    Asasar is okay with Elsin too.
    Oops. :smallredface
    :

Sorry, it's early over here.
    Last edited by Nevershutup; 2014-10-21 at 07:07 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by NekoIncardine View Post
    536 is so glad she's not undead. Just saying.

EDIT: Permission to add a Cloak Of Resistance to 536 post-acceptance? She has the GP.
    Granted.

To be clear, I don't mean that the party has to always agree on everything. I'm fine with IC arguments of "What did you just do!?" Uneasy tension between characters is great. I balk when it leads to pvp (stealing from, harming, or even killing the other PCs). Ideally the game should be fun for everyone, not just the guy that built the best character for pvp.

I think OOC banter is a great way to relieve that tension. Your characters can be having whatever argument you want IC, so long as you guys are chuckling together about it OOC, I know no one has taken it personally.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Well that's good. I try not to take anything personally, even if there is a bit of clashing.

But it doesn't hurt to ask if one seems likely to happen! Cleric/knight of Pelor with a Necropolitan and a Necrocarnum shaper seems like it had potential for uneasiness.

Would still like to know how you want to handle minions, summons, animal companions and the like: under DM control or player control? I'm extremely happy either way. I'm just looking for clarity.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingPirate

IC Thread is up.

You all are in line together. I know at least one of you doesn't require food. I'm sure you can find a plausible reason for being there anyway.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Would still like to know how you want to handle minions, summons, animal companions and the like: under DM control or player control? I'm extremely happy either way. I'm just looking for clarity.
    Mostly player control. I'll expect orders to be given clearly IC, and might override your desired actions if I feel that the creature would interpret your instructions differently. This is especially true of mindless creations, who may not pick up the nuance of a request. I would expect things like Animal Companions and Familiars to have an understanding of their master, and respond accordingly. You have more latitude with those sorts of minions.

I will handle any NPCs under compulsion/rebuke effects, as that would be the norm.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Headcanon about the setting so far:

* Travel Cloaks (Magic Of Fae'Run) typically offer higher-quality food than the food traps, because they're costly enough to not be viewed as threatening to restaurants or other costly methods. Most people have no reason to care about having the food they want right there right then - the traps are about as fast as cooking and massively cheaper. (It's my favorite magic item and I'll probably want to upgrade my Cloak of Resistance with its functions - a logical reverse of the Magic Item Compendium's common-function rules - or otherwise get something similar later on.)
    * The law enforcement in the city is intentionally inefficient - the wizards who designed it view certain types of criminal element as necessary and ensured they'd have their holes, because the rogues are occasionally useful when real problems come up. The police are utterly ruthless when they get the chance, but that's rather rare.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I don't have MoF, can you give me the specs on those cloaks?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

I don't have MoF, can you give me the specs on those cloaks?
    Travel Cloak (MoF page 166), Paraphrased In A Vaguely OGL-ish Fashion: The wearer of the cloak resists cold (but not heat) as per endure elements. Areas covered by the cloak remain dry (this goes down to the knees). Three times per day, they can pull out trail rations sufficient to feed themself from one pocket. Another pocket, when a quart flask is slipped in, fills that quart flask with cold water or hot sugared tea up to eight times per day (it specifies 'two gallons' as the limit - that's eight quarts, thus 'one quart, eight times a day'); this doesn't make the flask at all magical itself. When commanded, the cloak unfolds to a one-person tent.

Caster level 5th, requires Craft Wondrous Item, endure elements, create food and water, and enlarge. Market Price is 1200 GP, and it weighs one pound.

... I could totally imagine 'deluxe' variants that can call upon other features, or have a wider variety of food settings, being a thing as well.