New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Book 5 - Blood Runs in the Family (plus 2015 OOTS Heroes Calendar)

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Not a big enough business to have an EU/UK partner, I would guess.
    Cafe Press is also print on demand. It's not the same type of business model as Ookoodook. Ookoodook would need a warehouse and the ability to ship to that warehouse, which costs money, and splits the stock between two locations, that may need to be shipped back and forth to cover demand. Plus the overhead of keeping track of two seperate websites and warehouses.

CafePress just prints whatever someone orders at the moment and keeps a stock of t-shirts and mugs that can also be used by every one of their thousands of other clients. They could set up in a studio apartment and be fine. Printing books costs a lot more than printing t-shirts.
    Last edited by NerdyKris; 2014-10-26 at 09:12 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Book 5 - Blood Runs in the Family (plus 2015 OOTS Heroes Calendar)

I... I did not see this coming.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

After a bit of number crunching I'm only ordering the Calendar. It is really weird that is quite cheaper to order the Calendar and pick up the book at my FLGS instead of ordering both at the same time.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Just a quick clarification: Is the expectation that the pre-orders should arrive in the same window (First couple weeks of December) as the retail copies, or will one or the other be a bit earlier/later? Cheers!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

When I just ordered the new calendar the anniversary calendar was available again.
    So if you don't have that one yet, go and get it!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ooknabah View Post
    Just a quick clarification: Is the expectation that the pre-orders should arrive in the same window (First couple weeks of December) as the retail copies, or will one or the other be a bit earlier/later? Cheers!
    It's tough to say because I only have a vague idea of how long distribution really takes. They will be leaving the printer and heading to Ookoodook and Impressions at the same time. From there, Ookoodook will start mailing them out; Impressions will contact distributors like Alliance, who will inform them how many orders they've gotten from game stores. Once those orders are collected, Impressions will ship them to Alliance (and others), who will in turn ship them to stores. Will that take more or less time than Ookoodook mailing them? I don't know for sure, my feel is that it will take a little longer. How much longer? I couldn't say.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

7. - Top - End - #97

I was wondering if the Kickstarter slush fund that was added after all the goals were met had any part in funding the printing of the new book.

While the chart explaining the fixed promises is all well and good, not much has been said on what the additional funds were used for, if anything.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2014-10-29 at 04:16 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    I was wondering if the Kickstarter slush fund that was added after all the goals were met had any part in funding the printing of the new book.

While the chart explaining the fixed promises is all well and good, not much has been said on what the additional funds were used for, if anything.
    There were no additional funds. Expenses from fulfilling the Kickstarter exceeded the amount raised, partly because of postage rate increases that occurred while I was injured, partly because of a higher tax rate than anticipated.

So no, the funding for the book is coming strictly from pre-sales and other sources (i.e. book store sales, t-shirts, etc.), not Kickstarter.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

9. - Top - End - #99

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    So no, the funding for the book is coming strictly from pre-sales and other sources (i.e. book store sales, t-shirts, etc.), not Kickstarter.
    I figured as much which is why I pre-ordered immediately.

(that and to keep my book collection complete. Also, I read the commentaries).
    FTDWIR

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Know what would be really funny? A fake chapter with commentary like they do with movies, where the director and actors talk while the action plays. Well, for the first few pages, Rich just eliminates the speech bubbles and talks over it instead, as if that's how hes going to do commentary for the whole book. I've always thought that sort of commentary was dumb in movies, it would be absolutely horrendous in a comic strip.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2014-10-29 at 08:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101

I never thought of that before. Does Kickstarter tell you anything about where the lines are on the tax brackets?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Know what would be really funny? A fake chapter with commentary like they do with movies, where the director and actors talk while the action plays. Well, for the first few pages, Rich just eliminates the speech bubbles and talks over it instead, as if that's how hes going to do commentary for the whole book. I've always thought that sort of commentary was dumb in movies, it would be absolutely horrendous in a comic strip.
    Might be kind of fun for the recap section...
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That would be very funny, although I think it might get more than a little awkward and would probably take up too many pages.

Peelee’s Lotsey

14. - Top - End - #104

There were no additional funds. Expenses from fulfilling the Kickstarter exceeded the amount raised, partly because of postage rate increases that occurred while I was injured, partly because of a higher tax rate than anticipated.

Wow, the maximum goal was 850k.
    1,250k was raised and it STILL came short?

That's scary.

Alright, thanks for the information.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Scott Adams, from Dilbert, kinda did that in a good way in a compilation book with some of the best of his strips. He inserted little notes in the margins with precisely the kind of comments you're mentioning, I remember I found them to be very funny and informative of his work process. Of course, I don't think this would necessarily work with a longer-strip format such as the one for OOTS.
    My new tumblr on all things meta:

http://meta-net.tumblr.com/

Yes, Tarquin is there as the ultimate meta-villain.
    Open to suggestions or submissions

The main theme of the comic is, "I'm glad I have a job where I can work in my pajamas."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

So will there be renditions for both
    The slaves that were crucified by Tarquin.
    and The fall of Resistance in 824-827 (The Azurite Wedding but the dead resistance will sing this in afterlife).
    Last edited by t209; 2014-10-31 at 01:24 AM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

frown Re: OOTS Book 5 - Blood Runs in the Family (plus 2015 OOTS Heroes Calendar)

I want to preorder!

But, here in Denmark, any order from the US is subject to a $30 'processing fee' by customs.

So - I need to buy the book locally if I do not want to pay for 2 books, and get one.

That is no problem, as we got plenty of good stores for that. But then I'm not able to preorder as it (seems) only possibly though the US retailer. Again, not a direct problem - but I would actually like to support The Giant as I truly appreciate the work. And especially support the books being made!

Give me a way, and I'll pre-order!

MiNo.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, a one-time windfall is just about the worst thing from a tax perspective. You get hit with the highest rates and you are absolutely unprepared with any tax planning to minimize that.

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    Wow, the maximum goal was 850k.
    1,250k was raised and it STILL came short?

That's scary.

Alright, thanks for the information.
    Recall the goals expanded as the funding continued. The Giant initially promised to reprint an old book, than his entire line along with a whole host of newly designed rewards. Also, those funds came with incentives, some quite expensive such as a large number of books and other swag, and the international incentives proved more expensive than the amount pledged (due to unanticipated import taxes/VAT/etc), and the expenses for fulfilling the incentives also came in higher than anticipated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

Let no-one say the Giant does not give value for money.
    Dubbed Most Honourable Aggregate of All Things Targ in the Title Thread. Also dubbed the Mage of Light, which is really cool.

Earned a special cookie for reaching 50 in the Count to 50 thread. Got a waffle too!

The human avatar is thanks to the talented The Mad Hatter; the ponytar, the incredible Dirtytabs.

I'm a White Mage in real life too! Here are my spells. BE WARNED: SOME OF THEM ARE REAL AND WILL AFFECT YOU IF READ. http://merlinsalchemyoflight.blogspot.co.uk/

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

I've got a question for apegamer about shipping costs for different numbers of Blood Runs in the Family.

I'm considering buying the books in bulk, because of the steep shipping costs to Norway. Experimenting with different numbers of books, I find the following discounts using the "Intl Preorder Fulfillment 1" compared to other shipping options:

1 book - $0.15 discount
    2 books - $11.42 discount
    3 books - $0.87 more expensive
    4 books - $13.39 more expensive

Is there an error in the calculated preorder shipping costs for 3-4 books, or is it just not a good option for large quantities?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    the international incentives proved more expensive than the amount pledged (due to unanticipated import taxes/VAT/etc)
    Which are paid by the receiver, not the sender.
    But the rest of your argument stands.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Since you have labeled the new calender as the "Hero Calender," Does that mean that there will be a Villain calender?

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
    I want to preorder!

But, here in Denmark, any order from the US is subject to a $30 'processing fee' by customs.

So - I need to buy the book locally if I do not want to pay for 2 books, and get one.

That is no problem, as we got plenty of good stores for that. But then I'm not able to preorder as it (seems) only possibly though the US retailer. Again, not a direct problem - but I would actually like to support The Giant as I truly appreciate the work. And especially support the books being made!

Give me a way, and I'll pre-order!

MiNo.
    You're still supporting me by buying it in a local store. I understand the desire to try to make sure as much money as possible is ending up in GITP's pocket, but there are other forms of value you could give—like the time it would take me to figure out a way to get pre-orders without the customs fees. That's time being taken away from the comic and everything else I need to be doing. So, feel free to walk into your local store and buy it there, knowing that by doing so you kept me from having to spend days trying to work out some byzantine pre-order system that somehow bypasses customs.
    Rich Burlew

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

You're still supporting me by buying it in a local store. I understand the desire to try to make sure as much money as possible is ending up in GITP's pocket, but there are other forms of value you could give—like the time it would take me to figure out a way to get pre-orders without the customs fees. That's time being taken away from the comic and everything else I need to be doing. So, feel free to walk into your local store and buy it there, knowing that by doing so you kept me from having to spend days trying to work out some byzantine pre-order system that somehow bypasses customs.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll just buy the book whenever it is here.

Additional not important info:

The customs fee is on "all products shipped from outside the EU to Denmark with a value of over $15" - so it has nothing to do with 'pre-order' as such. And there are no way around it. Sorry that I was not clear.

A solution, would be to have one retailer in EU (europe) taking preorders also.
    Another solution would be for your US retailer to make sure that shipping is made from a retailer in the EU, rather than directly from USA.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

New book awesome. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about this but I wanted to ask I got all your previous books through the kickstarter signed with your awesome little character doodles, is that a possibility on this book signed/special addition. It would be really great if they all matched I understand if it's an option we need to wait for.

26. - Top - End - #116

Any word on when the reduced preorder shipping is ending?
    !

27. - Top - End - #117

Hi Rich,

Thanks for teasing us with the book proofs on your twitter. I do wonder: what made you change your mind to include strip titles in the book, while this was previously only online content?

Garwain
    My personal folder is a graveyard of ideas, stuck in their dream phase.
    The "DM won't kill us" attitude is a bubble that sometimes needs to be bursted.
    There's an armor variant rule in UA that will drastically increase character survivability without completely bubble-wrapping them in plot invulnerability
    Throphies won:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Garwain View Post
    what made you change your mind to include strip titles in the book, while this was previously only online content?
    All my books have strip titles, with one minor exception (one story in SS&DT).

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garwain View Post
    Hi Rich,

Thanks for teasing us with the book proofs on your twitter. I do wonder: what made you change your mind to include strip titles in the book, while this was previously only online content?

Garwain
    Not sure what your source is for this claim, but all the strip that have a title online also have it in the books.
    Though there are strips that don't have a title, most notable the books OtOoPCs and SoD only have page numbers.

Maybe you misremember a post Rich made about why he doesn't show titles on the online pages:

Actually, the answer is, "I prefer the title NOT to be shown".

The titles are, if anything, "bonus" jokes. If you are following the comic as it comes out, you will see it displayed in the sidebar for an extra laugh. If you're reading the archive, you can open a separate page for the archive list and follow along with them. And if you're not willing to do either of those things, well, then you don't get the bonus joke. Oh well. It's not the end of the world.

And since I just noticed on the Twitter picture: It shows that there is a strip 833b that features Jirix .

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    And since I just noticed on the Twitter picture: It shows that there is a strip 833b that features Jirix .
    And with a title of "Villainy A-" (can't quite read the second letter of the second word, and the rest is hidden by the pages on top of it). Presumably a follow-on joke of some sort from the title of strip #833 being "Villainy Afoot".

Mind you, the part of the page we can actually see is identical to the bottom-left corner of the online strip #833, which is odd...
    Last edited by factotum; 2014-11-20 at 08:00 AM.