New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XX: KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANS!!!

How good would these commandwalkers be if they were playable in more formats?
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Nahiri and Daretti would be playable in modern. Given that they're only legal in vintage and legacy, their high casting cost, and design towards multiplayer, I don't foresee them seeing play outside of EDH.

3. - Top - End - #123

The planeswalkers are all super neat. I still hate the idea of walker commanders.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

i really hope they release a planeswalker card for ugin in one of the next khans sets now, (i mean, i already wanted one, but now even more so). since we now have the cards of two of the three planeswalkers who sealed away the eldrazi

i so want to run a deck in my casual group with all three of the eldrazi titans, and the 'walkers who sealed them
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Exactly the opposite; this means that whichever deck has the Wurmcoil in it is going to get marked up accordingly.
    That really doesn't matter if you just want the Wurmcoil Engine. Actually, the more people just buy it just to sell the Wurmcoil for a profit, the better for those who want to pick them up cheap.

Also, C14 will be reprinted as long as there is demand.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosOS View Post
    Nahiri and Daretti would be playable in modern. Given that they're only legal in vintage and legacy, their high casting cost, and design towards multiplayer, I don't foresee them seeing play outside of EDH.
    Daretti might spawn some funny Artifact-shenanigans decks, but Nahiri is really terrible in Modern. She doesn't upgrade any existing deck, and her effects aren't impressive enough to spawn any new ones.
    Last edited by raymundo; 2014-10-30 at 09:54 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somensjev View Post
    i really hope they release a planeswalker card for ugin in one of the next khans sets now, (i mean, i already wanted one, but now even more so). since we now have the cards of two of the three planeswalkers who sealed away the eldrazi

i so want to run a deck in my casual group with all three of the eldrazi titans, and the 'walkers who sealed them
    That would be entertaining, but I do not believe that Ugin would be printed. He existed long ago, and I don't follownthe sotry enouh to know if he is alive. I do, however, know that the original planeswalkers (not the cards) were overpowered immortals, and I don't think those will become cards.
    I think all that's true, I'm not completely sure.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

*looks at Karn*

You sure about that, Duck?

Anyways, Ugin is dead, but there has been a lot of hinting he's going to be resurrected somehow by the end of the block. Which is why people expect an Ugin card.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    That would be entertaining, but I do not believe that Ugin would be printed. He existed long ago, and I don't follownthe sotry enouh to know if he is alive. I do, however, know that the original planeswalkers (not the cards) were overpowered immortals, and I don't think those will become cards.
    I think all that's true, I'm not completely sure.
    There's a number of oldwalkers who survived the Mending, albeit depowered, and have had cards made. As firedaemon said, there's Karn. Venser and Bolas were both active in the storyline prior to the Mending. Sorin used to be an oldwalker, and was one at the time he, Ugin, and Nahiri sealed the Eldrazi.
    ithilanor on Steam.

9. - Top - End - #129

So I'll be attending GP San Antonio at the end of November and I was wondering if anyone around the playground wanted to through some advice my way. I mean, I've been to handful of larger events, but if there's some tips and tricks I might've missed or if anyone's got the inside info on the Standard meta right now, I'd like to hear it.
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    301.5b An Equipment is cast and enters the battlefield just like any other artifact. An Equipment doesn’t enter the battlefield attached to a creature. The equip keyword ability attaches the Equipment to a creature you control (see rule 702.6, “Equip”). Control of the creature matters only when the equip ability is activated and when it resolves. Spells and other abilities may also attach an Equipment to a creature. If an effect attempts to attach an Equipment to an object that can’t be equipped by it, the Equipment doesn’t move.

Figured I'd give you the relevant rule. Changing a creature's controller doesn't change the fact it still has equipment on it.
    Huh, okay. I was extrapolating from the rule where a creature no longer being a valid target for Equip makes it become unequipped (in before it turns out only Auras do that), interesting that control of the creature is an exception to that.

Quote Originally Posted by raymundo View Post
    That really doesn't matter if you just want the Wurmcoil Engine. Actually, the more people just buy it just to sell the Wurmcoil for a profit, the better for those who want to pick them up cheap.
    *looks up Wurmcoil Engine on TCGPlayer to double-check whether it's even that expensive any more in the first place*
    *it's not*
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

define 'that expensive' because the mid price is still $20, which is what most places will sell them for as a result.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    define 'that expensive' because the mid price is still $20, which is what most places will sell them for as a result.
    As expensive as it was before. Probably.

About the oldwalkers: I had heard about them being dispowered, I just forgot that part. I realized the flaw after posting that Sorin had to be just as old as Ugin if they ever worked together...
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somensjev View Post

Ugin will get a card, and probably this February. Sarkhan is being guided by Ugin's spirit to travel back in time and save him from Bolas. Various people and stories from wizards have said as much. And we have this art from Fate Reforged:

Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

So does that mean Ugin, Nicol Bolas, and Sarkhan across the next two sets? Wow...
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    So does that mean Ugin, Nicol Bolas, and Sarkhan across the next two sets? Wow...
    Well, Sarkhan already got his card in the first set, Ugin will probably be in the second... I wonder if they'll print Bolas, though. Fate Reforged will be drafted with Khans until the third set is released. Combining a super-high-profile planeswalker in shard colours with a wedge set sounds awkward, to say the least.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think we'll see Bolas. He's been behind the plot of most recent sets and yet he hasn't gotten a new card. He's more of a behind the scenes manipulator kind of dragon.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I don't think we'll see Bolas. He's been behind the plot of most recent sets and yet he hasn't gotten a new card. He's more of a behind the scenes manipulator kind of dragon.
    Besides, unless he's piggybacking off of Sarkhan's brain (wouldn't put it past him, but still), he doesn't know this is happening. And won't know until the timeline changes, whichever way, shape, or form that takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    The low prices are ~$14 for near mint, and if you order online there's no reason you should have to pay the mid price.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just got a copy of "Beastmaster Ascension" in DotP '15, and I'm interested in its applications for my Token deck. If I attack with seven 1/1 token creatures, they power up to 6/6 before the defender declares blockers, right? Intuitively, even if he immediately reacts with "Shock" or somesuch, he could kill that one but the others would still power up because "add tokens to Beastmaster Ascension" is still on the stack even if one of the creatures triggering it isn't there any more, right? Or is this another case where, because Beastmaster Ascension is "static" speed, the opponent doesn't even have time to cast an Instant?

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

20. - Top - End - #140

Planetar

For every attacker you declare, one instance of the quest counter trigger goes on the stack. Each resolves separately, and your opponent could shock in response to kill a 1/1 token. Once all the counters are on it's a static effect granting +5/+5 to all creatures you control

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosOS View Post
    For every attacker you declare, one instance of the quest counter trigger goes on the stack. Each resolves separately, and your opponent could shock in response to kill a 1/1 token. Once all the counters are on it's a static effect granting +5/+5 to all creatures you control
    That's about what I expected. And because the quest counter triggers go on the stack when attackers are declared, they come off the stack even before blockers are declared, right?

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    That's about what I expected. And because the quest counter triggers go on the stack when attackers are declared, they come off the stack even before blockers are declared, right?
    Yes, they resolve well before declaration of blockers. To pass to the next phase (in general, not just when going from declare attackers to declare blockers), the stack needs to be empty and both players need to pass priority. (say they're done for the phase and have nothing else to cast)
    ithilanor on Steam.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    I just got a copy of "Beastmaster Ascension" in DotP '15, and I'm interested in its applications for my Token deck. If I attack with seven 1/1 token creatures, they power up to 6/6 before the defender declares blockers, right? Intuitively, even if he immediately reacts with "Shock" or somesuch, he could kill that one but the others would still power up because "add tokens to Beastmaster Ascension" is still on the stack even if one of the creatures triggering it isn't there any more, right? Or is this another case where, because Beastmaster Ascension is "static" speed, the opponent doesn't even have time to cast an Instant?
    An opponent could cast shock before your combat step, thus killing off one of your tokens and possible not leaving you with enough to trigger BMA that turn.
    Last edited by Boci; 2014-11-02 at 01:23 PM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

24. - Top - End - #144

I'mma back!

So, I've been playing a lot less magic in recent months due to work but now can finally indulge my past time. I'm playing Scapeshift atm and trying to settle on which variant is the right one at the moment. Currently I'm playing Serum Visions/Telling Time version but considering going for Bolts, Telling Time and Cliques instead. Dig is OMG powerful in scapeshift. Let me just fetch a double counterspell.

Also, new walkers are fun. Not good but fun.
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So this is a Selesnya deck I made and have been dabbling with for awhile. When Journey into Nyx got released, I made some major overhauls and came out with roughly what you see here.

This deck mainly focuses on ramping up creatures and life gain. I haven’t yet had the opportunity to play someone else with it, but I’d appreciate any feedback and advice.
    "Dinnae discount tha victories ye have jus' cause ye dinnae plan fer 'em. […] Ye cannae beat yerself up o'er what ye might've done, V. Tha way lies madness." - Durkon Thundershield, Order of the Stick.

"Only the honor of a paladin is unbreakable." - Soon Kim, Order of the Stick.

What Would O-Chul Do?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want consistency, I recommend f=more than one of each creature. Also, more sun petal grove's if you can.
    That was just a quick skim through, but really, I suggest not having a ton of different copies of different creatures. Even in casual, I'd recommend more 2s than 1s.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DanaK View Post
    So this is a Selesnya deck I made and have been dabbling with for awhile. When Journey into Nyx got released, I made some major overhauls and came out with roughly what you see here.

This deck mainly focuses on ramping up creatures and life gain. I haven’t yet had the opportunity to play someone else with it, but I’d appreciate any feedback and advice.
    Interesting start! A few thoughts:
    • Pure lifegain spells (like Heroes' Reunion) are rarely as good as they seem because they cause card disadvantage and don't impact the board. The lifeswing has to be very high for them to be worth it; at 7 life, Heroes' Reunion is usually just going to be a Fog. Usually, the way you want to go is incidental lifegain (i. e. cards that gain you life and do something else besides), such as Nyx-Fleece Ram.
    • You have a lot of lifegain in your deck, so you could consider throwing in a few cards that synergise with it. Archangel of Thune is probably way out of budget, but if you can get your hands on one, it'd probably fit in nicely. Failing that, Ajani's Pridemate is an efficient creature that also benefits from lifelink - especially repeatable lifelink like you get from Nyx-Fleece Ram.
    • Khans of Tarkir has a few cards in it that synergise with +1/+1 counters. Abzan Falconer, Ainok Bond-Kin and Abzan Battle Priest come to mind.
    • It's fine to have one-ofs and two-ofs, but, as mentioned by Duck999, if your deck is mostly one-ofs, it gets very very inconsistent. You probably want to consolidate your list a little, see what cards aren't pulling their weight, and cut them.

28. - Top - End - #148

On the subject of lifegain, here's my lifegain deck, put together in DotP '15 so I'm rather limited in some of my card choices, but probably still legal in modern. Feedback appreciated!

Spoiler
    Show
    Plains x20
    Radiant Fountain x4

Trained Caracal x3 <- even sacrificing it with Pridemate on the field is fine.
    Cloudshift x1 <- a great card, but poor synergy with this deck in most cases.
    Gods Willing x1 <- Should I run more of these?
    Ajani's Pridemate x4 <- one of the cornerstone cards
    Ordeal of Heliod x2
    Reprisal x1
    Lone Missionary x4
    Nimbus Wings x2 <- good on a Trained Caracal to swing past blockers.
    Brimaz, King of Oreskos x1 <- no special synergy, just great by itself.
    Mentor of the Meek x2 <- one of my favorite white cards.
    Banisher Priest x3 <- essential. I'd run four if I had them.
    Attended Knight x1 <- possible target for auras, trigger Mentor twice
    Standing Troops x1 <- possible target for auras, stall while getting combos out
    Arrest x1 <- for when I don't have Banishers
    Rhox Faithmender x2 <- another cornerstone card
    Armored Ascension x3 <- amazing in any mono-white
    Angelic Accord x2 <- the third cornerstone card
    Marked by Honor x1 <- get Vigilance on the Pridemate
    Baneslayer Angel x1
    Angelic Edict x1

I really wish I had a Felidar Sovereign or two. And I'm not sure about the right balance of removal, creatures, and auras. I like auras, even though you're putting more eggs in one basket, because they let you get something out-of-depth and with particularly advantageous sets of characteristics. And the ability to have a creature already down, slap an aura on it, and attack immediately that turn is valuable. I try not to over-use them though.
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2014-11-04 at 10:29 AM.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Ohai.

You know what I liked about Zendikar? My Standard Deck.

x4 Nest Invader
    x4 Kozilek's Predator
    x4 Harabaz Druid (A relic from when it was more ally oriented)
    x4 It that Betrays
    x4 Pathrazer of Ulamog (I had the 3 legendary Eldrazi, but these are the cheap way to do the deck)

x4 Awakening Zone

x4 Mass Polymorph
    x4 Growth Spasm

Sideboard: Genesis Waves, Dispels.

Make token and eldrazi it. I'd say the weakness is the lack of one drops, which is something I fixed once it went out of standard.

I'm making a God's EDH deck right now.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-11-05 at 11:49 AM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Is the consensus that Wormcoil Engine at $8 is not going to drop any further? Or is there a good chance that holding out will get it to drop to the $5 range?