New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #966 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheKing View Post
    …I'm not sure if I really want to know. All I can say with certainty is, those gnomes are in a helluva lot of danger while he's around. But then, the same goes for most life-forms in this world.

Also, I really hope we get a proper look at a bit of Tinker Gnome-y awesomeness soon
    i dunno if there in that much danger, this is the first town that is likely to have brothels his size

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Oh, a smart gambit by the HPOH there, betting none of the clerics will be high level enough to resurrect him. Of course, if someone thinks to have him scribe a scroll, all bets are off...

An excellent comic, as always. Thanks, Giant!
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
    My guess is that Durkula tips his hand here and sets up a conflict between him and the rest of the party. Maybe his bluff gets called and he can't quite talk his way out of it, or he attacks/mind-controls Roy once they're alone, or he starts turning clerics into vampires when Roy isn't looking. I see Belkar playing the hero in this arc, either by saving Roy from Durkula or being the one who learns about Durkula and has to convince the rest of the party. Belkar seems too blase about this; I think he at least sends Mr. Scruffy to see what happens with Roy and Durkula.

Sooner or later, we know that there's going to be a conflict between OotS and Durkula. The only question is whether it happens now or later. If the next strip is Roy and Durkula coming back and announcing that they couldn't find a high-level cleric, I guess it's later. But I think this is when Durkula starts doing something proactive to further Hel's plans beyond just building trust.
    I think you're right. Although my predictive accuracy has been terrible on OotS (which is awesome ), I think what's going to happen is that the HPoH will turn on Roy, then Belkar will save him and die himself.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wonderful - I always loved the town-shopping strips, where several character gets a strip or two for him- or her- or Vself in private. The little town first, then Azure City, then Sandsedge,...

I still hope there is a callback to Eve and Larry's potion shop at the local Potionmaster.

---

Nooooow - HpoH's big evil smile was perfectly captured. I can't believe the theory about Hel raising an undead army right in front of Roy though... Maybe HpoH will subtly dominate/hypnotize them, but priests usually have a will save better than that.

My guess is that HpoH acts at the temple so he gets a reference for the High Priests of Thor and Odin back in the dwarven homelands. As a Vampire High Priest, he needs appropriate challenges, you know?

Or, he know enough about Tinkertown to know that they only worship craftmanship gods like Wayland/Volundr.
    Last edited by Onyavar; 2014-10-24 at 11:18 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    Find something to help with Durkula's habit of Dominating him?
    I wonder if he knows some evil-doer in town from his own past days of evil-doing that he thinks is powerful enough to help him take out Durkula altogether. The "Buggy Lou" bit from earlier already established that Belkar knows a few people on this side of the world.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reathin View Post
    Definitely suspect something's up though. Vamping other clerics when Roy's not watching sounds interesting, but I'm not sure how much use they'll be without Protection from Sunlight.
    It looks like it might be steamy enough (heh) in Tinkertown that Protection from Sunlight may not be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Im fairly certain that if nothing else, Roy would get suspicious around the third time a cleric tried to cast Resurrect and failed, and/or word would start traveling around town when clerics start vanishing at the temples they visit (in order). Besides the fact that we don't actually know anything about Durkon's plans yet, leaving an army of vampire clerics and their minions in your wake is not subtle, which is what Durkon needs to be right now.

Who says Durkula has to go directly to the clerics? Get a servant boy or two at each, with orders to start spreading (including to the higher level clerics) immediately after the OOtS leaves. They only need to get one high-level for him to get the spreading underway for the rest of the city, and Durkula doesn't even need to be there. Just leave a couple sleepers in each temple.
    "Yes, it is difficult, but not impossibly difficult. I would say absurdly difficult."

Credit to Ken:
    Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    NOTHING screams munchkin like having your own invisible, flying, undead whale stronghold.

When in doubt, assume I am talking about Star Wars d20 RCR.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    Find something to help with Durkula's habit of Dominating him?
    That's what I would do, yes. Now, I'm not sure that's what Belkar would do.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

i really cant figure Durkulas angle here, he was worried about having to spend a week in town so this isnt what hes after (and i doubt the gnomes have much to do with Thor anyway)

but at the same time he obviously wouldnt WANT to get ressurected because then he gets destroyed

im stumped :/

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hunter View Post
    Who says Durkula has to go directly to the clerics? Get a servant boy or two at each, with orders to start spreading (including to the higher level clerics) immediately after the OOtS leaves. They only need to get one high-level for him to get the spreading underway for the rest of the city, and Durkula doesn't even need to be there. Just leave a couple sleepers in each temple.
    Well, the ability of a servant-boy being able to take out a cleric of, well, any level really, even with vampire powers, is rather slim. Maybe if he got a new acolyte or something, but even then a vampire apocalypse is highly unlikely, because of the ready availability of people to fight it and the weakness of the vampires in question. Plus, theyre on an island. What would a group of vampires even do, assuming they took over? And of course, that still isn't that subtle, because Tinkertown is tiny. Even if the common trope of everybody knowing everybody enough to recognize when something is wrong doesn't hold up, serving boys have to come from somewhere, and their disappearance would definitely be noticed.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Durkula probably knows damn well there aren't any clerics powerful enough to do that in Tinkertown, the sly devil.
    Spoiler
    Show

Or there are. And two powerful vampire clerics no longer need to hide... especially from only one Roy. Especially if they raise other vampires. Remember the last owner of the staff had a spell that quickens the process. Maybe it is in the staff.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2014-10-24 at 11:32 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

11. - Top - End - #71

Thanks Giant!
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Great equalizer View Post
    Doesn't resurrecting a vampire require destroying it first? I'm not that familiar with the rules...

(also, made it to the second page!)
    Yep.

Resurrection: .... You can resurrect someone killed by a death effect or someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed.

In fairness, it is possible Roy and the others don't know that part of it, so think you can just cast it directly on the "living" vampire.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Could be, but I doubt it. I think he is just adding more layers to the deception that he really is still Durkon.

GW
    Several people seem to think he might be looking to take out any high-level clerics who could pose a problem down the line, but rather than starting a fire-fight there's no guarantee he could win, I'm leaning towards the deception angle. The undead-spirit inhabiting Durkon's body seems to prefer that tactic so far.

I think it could possibly go something like:

Spoiler
    Show
    1) Mind Control a cleric when Roy's not looking
    2) Have him tell Roy "of course we can fix your friend"
    3) Whip up a fake magic "resurrection" with some mumbo-jumbo (Roy's not a cleric, how would he know?)
    4) Tell Roy and everyone else Durkon is cured and there's nothing to worry about any more.

This way they'll let their guard down, making it easier for Durkula to stab them in the back.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2014-10-24 at 11:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I'm curious as to Durkula's angle on this.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    Several people seem to think he might be looking to take out any high-level clerics who could pose a problem down the line, but rather than starting a fire-fight there's no guarantee he could win, I'm leaning towards the deception angle. The undead-spirit inhabiting Durkon's body seems to prefer that tactic so far.

I think it could possibly go something like:

Spoiler
    Show
    1) Mind Control a cleric when Roy's not looking
    2) Have him tell Roy "of course we can fix your friend"
    3) Whip up a fake magic "resurrection" with some mumbo-jumbo (Roy's not a cleric, how would he know?)
    4) Tell Roy and everyone else Durkon is cured and there's nothing to worry about any more.

This way they'll let their guard down, making it easier for Durkula to stab them in the back.
    Unfortunately for that theory, HPoH would still have the discolored skin, hair and armor, the fangs, and his ominous voice bubbles.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

At first I thought Durkula was just going to the temples to cause trouble and let his presence be known throughout the Northern pantheon, but it seems like Roy is going to accompany him. So I'm leaning toward an attempt to gain Roy's sympathy: the priests will want to slay the vampire despite lacking the magic to resurrect him. This will reaffirm Roy's mind that he'd rather have weird Durkon than no Durkon, as well as guilt Roy whenever the thought of slaying him enters his mins.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    I am actually concerned that HTOH may be able to BE resurrected without actually giving control back to Durkon. Vampirism represented Hel's chance to take over Durkon, but who is to say her containment of his soul would end simply if his body died?
    You have been using this acronym really consistently since the reveal, and I still have no idea what the "t" stands for.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately for that theory, HPoH would still have the discolored skin, hair and armor, the fangs, and his ominous voice bubbles.
    and need to consume blood, would be kinda hard to hide that hes doing that on a ship

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, looks like the High Priest of Hel is gambling a little bit here. Guess we'll see if it pays off.

I think that the Resurrection spell would only resurrect Durkon, since it is his body. Don't really want to have this argument again, though.

Peelee’s Lotsey

20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wkwkwkwk1 View Post
    For some reason, I don't like Durkon's face in the third to last panel...
    Aww, but what's not to wuv about that adawable widdle face?

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Which makes me wonder, is it possible to use a glamour spell (or something similar) on undead?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Evil Durkon is up to something ... something evil, no doubt.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

23. - Top - End - #83

More importantly than Durkula, what's Belkar planning?

My guess is he's off to find anything that helps kill a vampire. Either mundane items or magic items that resist vampiric abilities (Negative energy protection, immunity to charm effects, will save boosts, etc..)

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    Which makes me wonder, is it possible to use a glamour spell (or something similar) on undead?
    I don't see why it wouldn't be, at least on paper. Unless the spell specifies that it must be cast on a living target and/or explicitly cannot be cast on undead, it would probably stick. However unless Durkon can cast such a spell on himself whenever he needs it (which, to my knowledge, he cannot) that is still impractical. And it certainly wont fool the Order, as he still needs to drink blood quite often.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Well, looks like the High Priest of Hel is gambling a little bit here. Guess we'll see if it pays off.

I think that the Resurrection spell would only resurrect Durkon, since it is his body. Don't really want to have this argument again, though.
    ya theyd kill Durkula then cast it on durkons body so hed come back

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    You have been using this acronym really consistently since the reveal, and I still have no idea what the "t" stands for.
    It's supposed to be HPoH, High Priest of Hel.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Great equalizer View Post
    It's supposed to be HPoH, High Priest of Hel.
    On most keyboards, P is not close enough to T to regularly make that typo.

28. - Top - End - #88

OrcBarbarianGuy

It will be interesting if HPOH encounters a living cleric. Durkon would never have tolerated an undead creature like a vampire in his presence. I assume other living clerics would also have an extreme distaste for the undead. And other clerics will certainly know that the vampire needs be killed (or destroyed or something like that) before Resurrection can occur. Whatever game Durkula is playing by offering to get resurrected, it should be a great story to watch unfold.
    Last edited by kenlund; 2014-10-24 at 12:16 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

On most keyboards, P is not close enough to T to regularly make that typo.
    I know. It still may happen sometimes.
    Or maybe it means High Templar of Hel or something like that.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Traitor? Theocrat? Tamarind? (The ultimate indignity for a dwarf!)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?