New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #966 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nenec View Post
    But, a level up or down?

When I grow up I want to choose elevator as adventurer class. Can I be an elevator please?
    I want to be a Dread Gazebo!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Sorry, you have to take the automaton base class first.
    Geez, must be some special limited edition of D&D. Probably you can only take it in Tinkertown too.
    English is not my native language. If you think I’m an illiterate dumb, please give me a chance: maybe I’m only dumb.

3. - Top - End - #123

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    I want to be a Dread Gazebo!
    Only if you do all your homework and eat all your soup!!
    English is not my native language. If you think I’m an illiterate dumb, please give me a chance: maybe I’m only dumb.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I expected that Haley put something on the table during negotiations but I was not expecting a bundle of TNT to blow straight through the Fourth Wall. Nice product placement but it was a little late. I already ordered the book.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Whatever Durkula has planned, he won't harm Roy--he knows that Roy and the others are his meal ticket to where he really wants to be (Kraagor's Gate), and if he comes back from this little journey either without Roy or towing vampire Roy behind him, I don't seriously think no-one will notice that. He's probably checked Macebook and realised that there are no clerics of high enough level to resurrect him in Tinkertown, so asking this is perfectly safe and earns him a few kudos with Roy to boot.

(Same applies to the question "Why didn't he vamp V?", by the way--it would tip his hand in a major way, and he's not daft enough to do that).
    Factotum, you have a good point. He is looking to get to the Dwarves where I am betting that he has an assignment from Hel to execute. He would be up for anything that can improve his cover story. That was my interpretation of the vampire's evil smile in the third to last panel ("I got this sucker hooked").

Belkar is probably going to look for more chocolate.
    FTDWIR

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kolero View Post
    Amazingly funny comic. Out of all the great jokes, for some reason I find the elevator's "ding" to be the funniest. First time I've heard "ding" when going down a level.
    We've been over this before. Once he hears the "ding", Roy always thinks it's time to go down a level.

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    In particular, Durkula had a golden opportunity to attempt to vamp the entire OotS with the assistance of Spiky demon, while the Order was fighting for its life against the Silicon Elemental.
    Making vampires outdoors in the daytime, before figuring out how to cast "Protection from Sunlight", is not as effective as you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Like everyone, I wonder what Durkula has planned... However, there's also another big question: What does Belkar want to do in town?
    In a town full of gnomes? Is this a serious question?

He wants to further inter-species good will and understanding by having meaningful exchanges of ideas.

Or maybe kill them.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Making vampires outdoors in the daytime, before figuring out how to cast "Protection from Sunlight", is not as effective as you might think.
    To be fair, the three day waiting period gives him more than enough time to locate shelter for them.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #127

BlueWizardGirl

Well one thing's for sure, the HPOH isn't confronting the Order here...

... After all, the High Priest of Hel still needs to confront the High Priest of Thor in Durkon's posthumous state... No?
    ~Sig~ The more I optimize in 3.5, the less I enjoy the game. Yet as hard as I try to avoid it, the optimizer mindset keeps slipping back into my thoughts. I will probably quit playing Dungeons and Dragons in the near future if I can't fix my predicament.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, the odds are, Durk Malackssen is just building deeper cover for himself. Doing an actually meaningless gesture that plays to Roy's psychological need for the vampire to still be his old reliable friend, rather than something alien and horrible.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

{{scrubbed}}

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, the three day waiting period gives him more than enough time to locate shelter for them.
    As I recall, he was burned by sunlight a few minutes after he became a vampire.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Normally, it takes three days for someone to become a Vampire.

Peelee’s Lotsey

12. - Top - End - #132
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kareasint View Post
    That was my interpretation of the vampire's evil smile in the third to last panel ("I got this sucker hooked").
    That was one of the two interpretations I got as well; the other one being "Splendid, splendid, everything is going according to my EVIL plan!!"

Of course, the EVIL plan could also include "Step 1; Get Roy Hooked." So the evil smile is multi-purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

I got a feeling Belkar's gonna follow them anyway. In the shadows and whatnot.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Yes, the odds are, Durk Malackssen is just building deeper cover for himself. Doing an actually meaningless gesture that plays to Roy's psychological need for the vampire to still be his old reliable friend, rather than something alien and horrible.
    i see it backfiring now because now roy wont hesitate to kill him since its what he wants too

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

That's exactly what Roy would do, and he'd probably be attacking even before the HpoH had a chance to say anything (after all, that's what they went there for, and he's on the record as stating that the only reason not to attack now is because the vampire is more useful than no cleric at all). That's why I agree that the HpoH has a good reason to think it won't be possible here.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

Belkar may well be looking for a way to restore Bloodfeast.
    Moo!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by cyberchihuahua View Post
    Belkar may well be looking for a way to restore Bloodfeast.
    Interesting thought! But I suspect V can already do it, and simply isn't because it's much easier to have room for and store a little lizard than a tyrannosaurus.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Syncrogti View Post
    I am worried about Durkula trying to do something to Roy...
    I figure he might want to commune with his new god from someplace other than the cargo hold of an airship. Whatever it is it can't be good.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Interesting thought! But I suspect V can already do it, and simply isn't because it's much easier to have room for and store a little lizard than a tyrannosaurus.
    I'm still rooting for the "T-Rex Fastball Special", where Belkar pitches Bloodfeast into someone's face like he did with Mr. Scruffy...and then has V dispel the Polymorph.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I'm still rooting for the "T-Rex Fastball Special", where Belkar pitches Bloodfeast into someone's face like he did with Mr. Scruffy...and then has V dispel the Polymorph.
    "a lizard? really? your one chance to finally stop me once and for all and your throw a lizard at my face?"
    *dispel magic*

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Nenec View Post
    But, a level up or down?

When I grow up I want to choose elevator as adventurer class. Can I be an elevator please?
    Elevators go up a level by fighting gravity.

Therefore fighting gravity gives them XPs.

22. - Top - End - #142

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Hmm. What could the evil plan.

"Durkula was upset about spending a week".

Durkula was upset about not getting his meal ticket ride into Dwarf lands. He's got an airship and the means to travel and get himself to Kraagor's gate.

"Durkula plans to have a resurrection and then go, 'I'm ok'. "

This won't work out because he'll still be a vampire and will lose his meal ticket.

"Durkula plans to convert tinkertown to Hel."

Not when he's planning on flying out of there to get to the gate.

"Durkula plans to vamp Roy"

Again - loss of his meal ticket. Right now Roy's footing the bill of travel for Durkula, so it is very much in his interests to continue the arrangement.

"There are no high level clerics in Tinkertown".

The con he's trying to run is a basic, "what would Durkon do?" Being helpful when the help is not available will net him points for Roy, "being in character with him being Durkon".

It reinforces Roy's bias towards Durkon = Durkula. The risk is two-fold.

Durkula reminded Roy about it. This, I don't like on Durkula's part. You do not want to remind people of the con you're trying to pull. You want to wait for Roy himself to suggest it. Let Roy, let V, let anyone else on the party bring it up. And then helpfully agree to go along with it.

"If you're Durkon, why aren't you asking for a resurrection? Let's stake you, and res you and be done with it."

Sure. Got no problem. Let's see if we can find any clerics here.

It's... absolutely devastating if you have foreknowledge of stuff in Tinkertown and you know the ground better than the Order does.

There's a couple of other cons he could be trying to pull. A two man con would be exceptional - if he knows someone in Tinkertown who can resurrect him you can pull quite a few shenanigans. Say the other cleric goes and says, "I can resurrect him but he won't have his healing powers. He'll lose his intervening levels and will start at level one again. Naked as a jaybird.

THIS would be an amazing con, because it would eliminate the possibility of 'having Durkon fight with us'. and there's ZERO chances of it backfiring on you provided you've got the other cleric as a friend.

23. - Top - End - #143

Obviously the elevator got enough experience for driving off the Order that it was able to take another level.
    But what level is it? Class and level geekery won't be complete without this vital information....

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by rbetieh View Post
    But what level is it? Class and level geekery won't be complete without this vital information....
    Ground, at the moment.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

I may be oversimplifying things but... I think Durkula here's planning to get rid of Belkar. After all the oracle did say within a year.

26. - Top - End - #146

RedWizardGuy

I think this page is changed in actual book, because the new (BRitF) book joke will be outdated when the book 6 is on sale

27. - Top - End - #147

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    Ground, at the moment.
    Nice one!
    FTDWIR

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by With a box View Post
    I think this page is changed in actual book, because the new (BRitF) book joke will be outdated when the book 6 is on sale
    Probably not. It won't be relevant anymore, sure, but to be honest it loses its relevance pretty quickly anyways (even it even had it). It's more of a joke, and to readers of Book 6 it will be a call back to this time period.

Peelee’s Lotsey

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Admittedly, I could be wrong, but my understanding of the OotS world vampirism is that if Durkula vamp'd a gnome cleric, wouldn't whatever the evil gnome deity of death is create the vampiric spirit inside the new gnomepire?

I mean, yeah, that might still be Hel. They're in the North, and there's been nothing said either way about whether the gnomes of the North worship the same gods as the dwarfs of the North. But.... the only times (outside of Snarl-exposition flashbacks) that the various Gods have really been explicitly mentioned is when a clerical character does it. The gnomes could worship the same Norse-based pantheon, or they could have their own specific pantheon. Or they could all be atheists. (Would it even be possible for an atheist in the OotS setting to become a vampire?)

Do we even know what (if any) gods the rest of the party follow?
    What is difficult terrain for an ooze? A colander?

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by kierthos View Post
    Do we even know what (if any) gods the rest of the party follow?
    V follows elven god of knowledge. Elan follows Banjo. I think the rest don't follow anyone in particular.