New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #966 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kierthos View Post
    Admittedly, I could be wrong, but my understanding of the OotS world vampirism is that if Durkula vamp'd a gnome cleric, wouldn't whatever the evil gnome deity of death is create the vampiric spirit inside the new gnomepire?

I mean, yeah, that might still be Hel. They're in the North, and there's been nothing said either way about whether the gnomes of the North worship the same gods as the dwarfs of the North. But.... the only times (outside of Snarl-exposition flashbacks) that the various Gods have really been explicitly mentioned is when a clerical character does it. The gnomes could worship the same Norse-based pantheon, or they could have their own specific pantheon. Or they could all be atheists. (Would it even be possible for an atheist in the OotS setting to become a vampire?)

Do we even know what (if any) gods the rest of the party follow?
    Hel is the god of Undeath in the Northern pantheon, so if the gnomes live in the North they presumably fall under her control. I doubt the gnomes have their own pantheon, and it's really difficult to be an atheist in a D&D world.
    Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2014-10-25 at 11:21 AM.

Peelee’s Lotsey

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Great equalizer View Post
    V follows elven god of knowledge. Elan follows Banjo. I think the rest don't follow anyone in particular.
    That seems like a good assessment. Roy occasionally invokes the "gods" in general, but that seems mostly for emphasis of some idiocy by Elan. I doubt he's ever gone to a temple to pray, only to hire a cleric to cast a spell.

Oh yes, and welcome to the boards.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

I love the fact that they made fun of the whole side-quest cliche that one finds in RPGs. Reminds me of FF6.
    : But you can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Admittedly, I could be wrong, but my understanding of the OotS world vampirism is that if Durkula vamp'd a gnome cleric, wouldn't whatever the evil gnome deity of death is create the vampiric spirit inside the new gnomepire?

I mean, yeah, that might still be Hel. They're in the North, and there's been nothing said either way about whether the gnomes of the North worship the same gods as the dwarfs of the North. But.... the only times (outside of Snarl-exposition flashbacks) that the various Gods have really been explicitly mentioned is when a clerical character does it. The gnomes could worship the same Norse-based pantheon, or they could have their own specific pantheon. Or they could all be atheists. (Would it even be possible for an atheist in the OotS setting to become a vampire?)

Whatever the god is who creates the spirit, the resulting vampire would still be HPOH's thrall.
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

its more geography then beliefing everyone in the North is under the umbrella of the norhern gods regardless of what they believe

Roy is essentially an athiest and despite dieing in the south was still under northern jurisdiction for deciding what happened to his soul

so if a gnome gets vamped Hel is in charge of that

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forikroder View Post
    its more geography then beliefing everyone in the North is under the umbrella of the norhern gods regardless of what they believe

Roy is essentially an athiest and despite dieing in the south was still under northern jurisdiction for deciding what happened to his soul

so if a gnome gets vamped Hel is in charge of that
    Well that's the question, isn't it? Where do the gnomes fall? Geographically they are in the north, but that doesn't mean much, because people still fall under the jurisdiction of their "owner" gods even if they leave the god's territory. Even if the dwarves had a colony in the Western Continent, they would still be Hel's to vampirize.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Well that's the question, isn't it? Where do the gnomes fall? Geographically they are in the north, but that doesn't mean much, because people still fall under the jurisdiction of their "owner" gods even if they leave the god's territory. Even if the dwarves had a colony in the Western Continent, they would still be Hel's to vampirize.
    Hels special in that she specifically owns dwarfs though

i think it depends on where your born, if the gnomes were born in the south then moved north the southern gods own them but any new gnomes born north are owned by the northern pantheon

there may be rules about if you move to a different pantheon for long enough and of course you can start worshipping a different pantheon and become theres by choice

8. - Top - End - #158

AssassinGuy

In D&D the Gnomes have their own pantheon, however (I'll say it myself before I get jumped on) the OOTS-verse has shown almost no recognition of any "traditional" D&D gods- even though the afterlife planes seem to match up pretty closely to what we would call "D&D" mythology. So it's an open question until we actually meet some more gnomes and see their deities discussed.

Forikroder, your point would be well made, but for what I think is one essential flaw- the "Northern pantheon" that we know of are actually Dwarven gods (Thor, Odin, Hel, etc.), aren't they? And the Southern gods are the Azurite pantheon. So neither of those are neccesarily specific to gnomes either. I still have no clue who humans from the North worship (other than the mighty Banjo and the horrible Banjulhu ).
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2014-10-25 at 12:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Since we've pretty much only seen gnomes in the North, I'm betting that is where they are from. I imagine we'll get the answer to this question when we see their temple.

Peelee’s Lotsey

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Given that the Order stopped by a human town with a Temple of Freya after the Dungeon of Dorukan and the priest of Lori in Greysky, I'd wager that the humans of the north also worship the Northern gods. The same likely goes for the gnomes, though they may not be a particularly religious sort.

ETA: The Giant's words here seem to confirm all the North share the Norse pantheon. So I imagine any vamped gnomes would in fact be new followers of Hel with tiny adorable hats and fangs.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-10-25 at 12:26 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

I noticed talk of HPoH potentially vamping a gnome cleric; wouldn't that be horrendously unsubtle, if even tenable? Sure, the staff has that spell for speeding up resurrection, but its charges are precious; further, there's one more vampire that needs to suck charges to face combat before she/he/it/abominationself develops the spell, and then there's the issue of pulling it off with Roy around, Thor forbid him actually getting away with anything like intra-party trust after such an event...

If anything, I very strongly read that as a bluff by HPoH with little ulterior motive. Durkon was a cleric of the North in life; perhaps not necessarily very learned for his station and level, but he would certainly have a mental thumbnail sketch of clerical power in the North. If he knew that Tinkertown didn't have any incredibly powerful clerics--do note that we've seen a whopping three capable of Resurrection so far, and all have been High Priests and/or adventurers--he would be in the clear while establishing trust with Roy. There's always the chance of having Resurrection read off a scroll, but Tinkertown may not even have one of those.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terrador View Post
    do note that we've seen a whopping three capable of Resurrection so far, and all have been High Priests and/or adventurers--he would be in the clear while establishing trust with Roy. There's always the chance of having Resurrection read off a scroll, but Tinkertown may not even have one of those.
    Whose the third Priest? Note: Loki-thief/cleric needed a scroll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Since we've pretty much only seen gnomes in the North, I'm betting that is where they are from. I imagine we'll get the answer to this question when we see their temple.
    I think you're right. The only gnomes I can recall outside of the recent strips are the gnome merchant that Belkar killed and the gnome druid Leeky Windstaff.

Although the fact that there are elven gods opens the possibility of other races having pantheons (perhaps not on the same power scale as the Northern Gods or the Southern Gods, etc.). I mean, we know that the Goblins have at least one god.

Furthermore, unless the gnomes explicitly follow the Northern Gods, I'm not convinced that a Durkula-created gnomepire would have a spirit "birthed in Hel's dark halls". I mean, Malack was a follower of Nergal, and Durkula is a Hel-spirit. So it stands to reason that if (and only if) the gnomes have a different death deity, that any gnomepires would have spirits created in that death deity's place of power. Sure, the gnomepire in question would still be in thrall to Durkula, and thus working (indirectly) for Hel.

Of course, if the gnomes follow the Northern Gods, my argument is moot.
    What is difficult terrain for an ooze? A colander?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Durkon, Redcloak, and... the High Priest of the 12 gods, I guess? AFAIK we never actually saw him cast it, but we know the azurites had the capabilities somehow, and it seems unlikely that the most powerful priest of the 12 gods wouldn't be able to.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Presumably, Malack was capable of it, but he's doing a Kansas retrospective these days.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Presumably, Malack was capable of it, but he's doing a Kansas retrospective these days.
    Malack was only lvl 12; Resurrection is 7th level spell.

Peelee’s Lotsey

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0410.html

Pretty sure that's "Resurrection". We don't have evidence of him casting other 7th-level spells, but if he's 13th-level Dictum and Holy Word would've been supremely ass against Redcloak, so...

As a minor note, HPo12G had Resurrection prepared on an ordinary day. Perhaps this was because Shojo's wizard needed resurrecting, but if you have one cleric attending the place capable of it and you're being attacked by a necromancer? That would be a reasonable call, especially since HPo12G is in no way evidenced to be a capable fighter for his level. Pulling out the 3rd-level noise against RC? Come on.
    Last edited by Terrador; 2014-10-25 at 03:17 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Malack was only lvl 12; Resurrection is 7th level spell.
    Only level 12? How was that determined?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Roy is essentially an athiest
    Wrong. He's an apatheist. He believes in the gods, he just doesn't care about them. He was raised to follow the northern pantheon, so that's why his spirit was handled in the way it was. Word Of Giant is that the disposition of your soul is based on your beliefs.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Only level 12? How was that determined?
    Look at the last post the Giant quotes here.

Peelee’s Lotsey

21. - Top - End - #171
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have a very, very bad feeling about this

Let's say Roy and Durkon find a cleric that is high enough level to cast res

Cleric: Okay, just step this way so we can kill the vampire and cast the resurrection spell

Roy: WHAT?

Durkula: Nay, it's al'ight lad. But perhaps can you let me do this alone?

Roy: Of course, I'll be waiting back at the ship.

**a few hours later**

Durkula turns up to the ship, still a vampire, claiming that the resurrection was a failure

What actually happens is that when he's alone with the high level priest, he kills him and turns him into a vampire
    "We can curse it or nurse it and give it a name"

"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Look at the last post the Giant quotes here.
    Hrm. I guess I just assumed Malack was higher level due to him being part of Tarquin's group. I guess the +8 level adjustment from being a vampire made up for that.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Here's a pointless 'what if' scenario:

What if Durkula is playing Roy by using him as a character witness?

Imagine if A. Random Vampire showed up alone at the temple. What would the priests do? Why, they would put the Holy Smite on his corpse. But with Roy along to speak for him, Durkula can get into the temple by invitation and discuss his 'horrible curse'. After making arrangements to be rezed, Durkula can return later, having already been invited into the temple, and dominate the clerics there, vamping the ones he can get his teeth on, and leaving them to clean up the mess, (and be a nest of vampires in Tinkertown, hidden in the now desecrated temple where no one would think to look for them.)

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I think, though, that whatever Durkula is up to, he's not going to be Stupid Evil about it.

His major goal is to get to the North and carry out Hel's orders (which will apparently lead to ruining the world and bringing Thor to his knees), so I don't see it being very likely that he's going to risk not getting to the North by vampirizing some gnomes, even if they are gnome clerics of sufficient power to be useful to Hel's schemes.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

Given the fact that Belkar is having second thoughts about doing his own stuff in town in favour of terrorising some Gnome clerics, I don't think that what he wants to do is very urgent or important. He's probably heading for the nearest bar/casino/brothel, then thinks, "hey, maybe I can get some violence done first, if Roy still wants me to come along?"
    My books - Have Sword & Sorcery: Will Travel™ (available to buy at all good online bookshops)

Literary threat #19:
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword - and I'm pretty handy with both, you know...

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

Checklist of an under-worshipped evil god high priest.

1. Visit local church with Pretend-friend.
    2. Discuss resurrection possibility and arrange meeting.
    3. Attend meeting and vamp those worthy, and kill the rest.
    4. Plant fake bait to pin blame on Belkar (just in case).
    5. GET THE **** OUT OF THERE COME MORNING.
    6. Leave tinkertown to new worshippers of Hel and advance to the north for further assignment by Lady Hel.
    7. Laugh at this 20 years from now when the world is in ruin and are currently sitting next to Lovely Omni-god Hel while watching dwarven souls re-enact the Order of the Stick: Gate Breaking Fools.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Forikroder, your point would be well made, but for what I think is one essential flaw- the "Northern pantheon" that we know of are actually Dwarven gods (Thor, Odin, Hel, etc.), aren't they? And the Southern gods are the Azurite pantheon. So neither of those are neccesarily specific to gnomes either. I still have no clue who humans from the North worship (other than the mighty Banjo and the horrible Banjulhu ).
    a human met with Elan when he wanted Banjo to join there pantheon and claimed to worship Freya

Wrong. He's an apatheist. He believes in the gods, he just doesn't care about them. He was raised to follow the northern pantheon, so that's why his spirit was handled in the way it was. Word Of Giant is that the disposition of your soul is based on your beliefs.
    i said essentially since he doenst worship

though i dont know what apatheist means so that might be more accurate
    I have a very, very bad feeling about this

Let's say Roy and Durkon find a cleric that is high enough level to cast res

Cleric: Okay, just step this way so we can kill the vampire and cast the resurrection spell

Roy: WHAT?

Durkula: Nay, it's al'ight lad. But perhaps can you let me do this alone?

Roy: Of course, I'll be waiting back at the ship.

**a few hours later**

Durkula turns up to the ship, still a vampire, claiming that the resurrection was a failure

What actually happens is that when he's alone with the high level priest, he kills him and turns him into a vampire
    roy knows |Durkon has to die for it, hed do it himself since he has the undead killing greatsword Durkon doesnt struggle Roy gives him a quick beheading and they ressurect him

Given the fact that Belkar is having second thoughts about doing his own stuff in town in favour of terrorising some Gnome clerics, I don't think that what he wants to do is very urgent or important. He's probably heading for the nearest bar/casino/brothel, then thinks, "hey, maybe I can get some violence done first, if Roy still wants me to come along?"
    he may know some contacts in town, or someone who can get in contact with someone
    Last edited by Forikroder; 2014-10-25 at 11:37 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Yay, Gnome Clerics.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

29. - Top - End - #179

AssassinGuy

a human met with Elan when he wanted Banjo to join there pantheon and claimed to worship Freya
    Yes he did, and I stand corrected. Thanks for reminding me, that was a hilarious bit & I don't know how I could have forgotten it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Pixie in the Playground

Mr Scruffy got a model update from comic #950