New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: World of Warcraft XVII: Warlords Gone Wild

By that logic, brain surgery is not that difficult either. It's just about learning the mechanics of the human body - one specific part of it for that matter, not the entire thing - and all it requires is years of medical school and specialized training.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2014-11-07 at 12:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    By that logic, brain surgery is not that difficult either. It's just about learning the mechanics of the human body - one specific part of it for that matter, not the entire thing - and all it requires is years of medical school and specialized training.
    Funny you should mention that...

I've taught from low-level Algebra to Calc 3. I tell my students that math is impossibly hard if you don't know how to do it, and easy if tedious otherwise. When doing some integral which requires trig substitution, you can spend a full page on a single question, but if you know exactly what you're doing it's easy. Or in Calc 3 when you do Stokes' Theorem, the setup takes a long time, the actual integral even longer, but no step is difficult if you know exactly what you're doing. Same is true in upper-level math.

Either you know what you're doing and it's easy, or don't and it's hard. Not trying to choose sides, just saying either interpretation is valid. Personally, I think all WoW is easy. You just sit on your butt and move your mouse and push buttons.

But crawling on your back in a 2' crawl space doing plumbing? Something like that is simple yet difficult.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Think about what you just said for a minute.

You are talking about fights that take the best players in the world multiple weeks at 40+ hours a week to learn. You're talking about a learning curve for a single tier of raiding that is somewhere in the vicinity of 80 hours. For the best players in the world (out of a population of millions of players who have been playing for nearly a decade).

In what world does that translate into easy by any stretch of the imagination? That is more time spent than the vast majority of entire games out there. Seriously, even take a difficult fast paced action game like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry, how many hours does a great player invest to be able to beat it on its highest difficulty? I'd guess about the same, likely less.

Your whole argument comes off as "It's not something I enjoy, so I am going to write it off as easy and dumb", rather than actually being rooted in reality.
    I never said I hate serious raiding, I hate the culture that surrounds it, I hate the Pandering that Blizzard does for it in terms of pushing content that is not fully ready, but I never said I don't enjoy it and if I had the time to do it I would actually attempt to see how high I could go in it, the difference between the time needed for Competative Mythic Raiding and DMC is that if you run the hardest Difficulty in DMC there is one person doing the mechanics (and really We are talking DMC 3 here and that is mostly around mastery of the counter attack stance) and in Mythic Raiding there is 20, thus 20 times the chance of someone screwing something up and killing everyone.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

So I've been thinking of rolling up a caster, and I've narrowed down my choices to either an Arcane Mage or a Balance druid. Does anyone have any experience with either / can share some thoughts on how they both compare?
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Balance druid.
    I did the same thing shortly after 6.0 with my druid since I wanted a second caster class other than lock.

I did not enjoy it. The damage was either pitifully low, or stupidly high. The rotation was just mash whatever button synced up with your eclipse to get as many casts of as possible before it changed, and despite having 2 healing spells survivability was rather low.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I really enjoy my arcane mage. The whole balancing arcane charges for firepower or mana for casting is a lot of fun.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm curious, does anybody who has played a Ret paladin have experience with other dps classes? I've gotten the impression that the mechanics behind Ret are rather simplistic compared to other classes, and with 6.0 changes they seem even more simplified.

I'm not complaining about that, I honestly favor a class where I can pay attention to the fight moreso than complex class functions, but I was just curious whether all of the classes are feeling that way now. I know my arms warrior and BM hunter seem like they doing almost nothing since 6.0, but I'm not quite in a position to evaluate that.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-11-09 at 06:54 PM.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    I'm curious, does anybody who has played a Ret paladin have experience with other dps classes? I've gotten the impression that the mechanics behind Ret are rather simplistic compared to other classes, and with 6.0 changes they seem even more simplified.

I'm not complaining about that, I honestly favor a class where I can pay attention to the fight moreso than complex class functions, but I was just curious whether all of the classes are feeling that way now. I know my arms warrior and BM hunter seem like they doing almost nothing since 6.0, but I'm not quite in a position to evaluate that.
    My marksman hunter uses chimera shot and aimed shot. Thats... pretty much it. If im fighting an elite or something I might fire off steady shots till I can chimera shot again, but thats about it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #129

Destrolock:

-Cast Chaos Bolt.
    -Send in the blueberry.
    -Dead? Y/N
    -If No, spam Incinerate until you have another Burning Ember.
    -Cast Chaos Bolt.
    GOTO 1.

10. - Top - End - #130

Arms is a helicopter.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    My marksman hunter uses chimera shot and aimed shot. Thats... pretty much it. If im fighting an elite or something I might fire off steady shots till I can chimera shot again, but thats about it.
    Replace chimera shot with arcane shot and aimed shot with kill command and you have bm hunter. Sometimes with Bestial Wrath thrown in(at least the extra pets add some variety.. still a little bland though).

Unholy dk is proving fun though, as has fire mage.
    Last edited by Togath; 2014-11-09 at 09:08 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

I was remembering DK being complex, but the last time I actually played one you could kill unholy DKs in duels.

If the hunter and warrior examples are indicative of the rest of the classes, Retribution might actually be on the more complex side. I have five or six regularly used moves, plus cooldowns, heals and hands.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Monk still feels plenty complex, and my priest didn't really change in any big way either.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Monk still feels plenty complex, and my priest didn't really change in any big way either.
    Pretty sure monks made it out completely unscathed. Really liking my WW Monk at the moment. Prot Warriors also managed to make it without getting gutted, so Gladiator is going to be a fun spec at 100.

Ret is in a decent place, fairly middle of the road as complexity goes (compared to the low end being Arms and Marksman), and up towards the top would be Monks, Ferals, maybe some rogue specs.

I don't play casters, so I have no idea where any of them fall. I have a few mage friends and hear some grumbling from them, but they still seem to have stuff to manage, it's just simpler than before.

15. - Top - End - #135

Ferals are, and will always be, JOHN [NAUGHTY] MADDEN.

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Ferals are, and will always be, JOHN [NAUGHTY] MADDEN.
    Is it against forum rules to provide a link to that picture?

17. - Top - End - #137

Is it against forum rules to provide a link to that picture?
    Ehhhhhh....strictly speaking, I think so, yeah. At best, it's fuzzy, and 'when in doubt, stay on the safe side' definitely applies here, especially when just giving directions does the same thing at one step removed.

For the curious, there is an in/famous flowchart diagram depicting Cat Druid DPS's complexity. Google 'feral druid john madden' to find it.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Shamans made it out fairly unscathed too. Haven't noticed any real differences in ele spec yet.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?

Steam Profile

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I might need to check out my shammy, then. Poor guy, I've been leveling him since BC, and he's only hit level cap for a brief time in Northrend.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Unholy is pretty simple now..I guess

Apply Diseases
    Scourge Strike
    Festering Strike
    Death Coil
    DnD/Defile
    AMS Soaking.
    Dark Transformation who am I kidding Timmy's fluffy pillow hands means we can more or less ignore this at the moment.

Necrotic Plauge build has a bit more complexity..

Unholy Blight
    Same as above, just make sure to get 10 festering strikes in the 1:30 that UB takes to cool down.

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    Shamans made it out fairly unscathed too. Haven't noticed any real differences in ele spec yet.
    Oh yeah, I forgot them. Elemental has always been pretty simple, but Enhance has a lot going on, and if you like high complexity with tons of rotational buttons, that's your spec. Like I boosted an Enhance shaman and I think I have like 8 or 9 keybinds just for regular damage dealing abilities. It's honestly a bit too much for me. I am more comfortable with 4-6, and prefer a spec with a focus on resource management over FCFS or Tons-of-Procs.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Main difference with ele from what I can see is that we're back to being the turrets that we were pre-cata. Fine as long as we stand still, but life gets trickier once we actually have to start moving around.

Oh, and we finally have our air/lighting elemental

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    Main difference with ele from what I can see is that we're back to being the turrets that we were pre-cata. Fine as long as we stand still, but life gets trickier once we actually have to start moving around.

Oh, and we finally have our air/lighting elemental
    Most of the casters are supposed to be more like that, so they could justify reducing the number of silences, interrupts, roots, stuns and the like running around and consolidate some CC categories. IDK how they managed hunters, but I gather they at least lost some CC and defensive tools.

I'm all for cc reduction as long as everyone else's cc was reduced. PVP might actually be fun this expansion, the last time I tried it out I spent about half of the time waiting for fear/horror/stun/disarm/root to wear off. That pretty much killed any interest in getting back into pvp.

I started doing research to see if going for Realm First max skill Engineer was going to be reasonable and was surprised at how difficult it was going to be with the changes to professions. Then I did some more research and found out there's not going to be any realm first leveling related achievements at all. So I'm considering not staying up for launch (which is healthy) even though I stayed up for every launch since I started playing WoW. It's kind of a relief and kind of a disappointment. I didn't just stay up for past launches because I was going to try to rush to max level or anything, although I did score Realm First Zen Master Engineer (I might have gotten Miner too if I had done things a little differently), but that slim hope that you could, even if you know you weren't going to be the first to the level cap, was part of the allure. It's like sports teams- for a brief period of time at the start of the season, everyone's tied for first place.

I mean, I will have work in the AM and I can't just take the day off (been a lot of family issues and several funerals, I'm pretty much out of time off), and I lost the ability to be effective on low sleep about halfway through grad school. Staying up would not be the best decision ever.

But launch days don't come around very often. Some of my favorite WoW memories happened within the first few hours of launch. Running around with guildies and friends, talking on vent, the crowds, the bugs, watching things break under the sheer volume of people going into the area- it's great. It's also an experience you just don't get later since with all the people in the starter zones the mob and resource spawn rates are usually turned up to eleven. Post launch leveling versus more normal leveling conditions is like espresso and coffee- you have leveling and questing concentrated.

I might just leave it until night of- if I'm too excited to get to sleep, I might as well stay up and play a couple hours right after launch. Even if I don't stay up, I will be on at some point Thursday.
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.

24. - Top - End - #144

I'm an east coaster, so launch is at 3am for me. So I'll be going to sleep early (around 6-7pmish) and setting an alarm to get up and play when it launches. It'll be a weird schedule shift for me, but should be manageable. Staying up for it would be much harder.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm an east coaster, so launch is at 3am for me. So I'll be going to sleep early (around 6-7pmish) and setting an alarm to get up and play when it launches. It'll be a weird schedule shift for me, but should be manageable. Staying up for it would be much harder.
    3am Thursday?
    or 3am friday? so its still "technically" thursday..being 1159 pm thursday on west coast
    like they did the later wings of the dungeon....... rassem-frassem...mumble mumble
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Any advice for finding Zandalari Warbringers/Scouts?
    I'm trying to get my Shado-pan rep up,and looking for ways to boost it faster(sitting at about 9.5k into revered currently, and I do have a commendation and guild)

Also: any dungeons/raids/mobs give Shado-pan rep?
    Last edited by Togath; 2014-11-11 at 05:16 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

27. - Top - End - #147
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Sigh. Blizzard gave me 7 free days of play time, and it worked. Damn you, Blizzard! I'll probably start playing again after I graduate in December.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Any advice for finding Zandalari Warbringers/Scouts?
    I'm trying to get my Shado-pan rep up,and looking for ways to boost it faster(sitting at about 9.5k into revered currently, and I do have a commendation and guild)

Also: any dungeons/raids/mobs give Shado-pan rep?
    Shado pan or Shado pan Assault? The forme rjust do dailies (which are pretty much everywhere and hard to find), the latter just run ToT LFR over and over.

On the Warbringers, one spawns in each area aside from the vale (map). They're on a 45 min - 1 hour respawn time, and if its anything like my realm, they're going to be camped to hell and back because they're decently easy to solo now. Specially by hunters. Damn hunters... /grumble
    Last edited by Antonok; 2014-11-11 at 07:54 AM.

Steam Profile

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh right, I need to see if Ret can solo them now. I feel like stat squish + charms ilevel boost should be helpful.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Colossus in the Playground

So.... im roaming through plaguelands for fun, doing the caravan quest chain. Im at the part where the two wannabe paladins join you for a few quests and toss on some buffs. Now im one shotting everything and finding it hilarious. I love finding these little bits and bobs where the stat squish didnt take proper effect.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."