New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [FATE] Secrets of Cats

First, for those of you who haven't seen it: Link!

I find the concept wonderfully quirky and compelling and it's definitely earned a place on my "if I can get a group together for this..." list.

So, any thoughts on it? Anyone tried it? Have an ingenious plot idea? Seen some horrific flaw in the system/setting that one ought be aware of?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    And don't forget that a lack of skills needn't be a problem - in a pinch, BAB can substitute for a lot of skills! Diplomacy ("If you be friend, me no stab in face"), Hide ("If you no see, me no stab in face"), Move Silently ("If you no hear, me no stab in face"), Open Lock ("Me stab lock in face with adamantine dagger"), Heal ("Me stab you in face until you no dying anymore"), Climb ("Me stab rock face"), and so on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: [FATE] Secrets of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Need_A_Life View Post
    First, for those of you who haven't seen it: Link!

I find the concept wonderfully quirky and compelling and it's definitely earned a place on my "if I can get a group together for this..." list.

So, any thoughts on it? Anyone tried it? Have an ingenious plot idea? Seen some horrific flaw in the system/setting that one ought be aware of?
    It's something I want really badly but other than that, and seeing one other thread about it (wherein the author answered a thing) I don't have much to go on.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

It's "pay what you want" so if you need more to go on, a download is just a few clicks away.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And don't forget that a lack of skills needn't be a problem - in a pinch, BAB can substitute for a lot of skills! Diplomacy ("If you be friend, me no stab in face"), Hide ("If you no see, me no stab in face"), Move Silently ("If you no hear, me no stab in face"), Open Lock ("Me stab lock in face with adamantine dagger"), Heal ("Me stab you in face until you no dying anymore"), Climb ("Me stab rock face"), and so on!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Need_A_Life View Post
    It's "pay what you want" so if you need more to go on, a download is just a few clicks away.
    Oh my gosh really?! squeeeee~!

Okay. Gimme a week. XD

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Well, that took more than a week, but here we are.

Honestly, I may not be able to get anyone to play this with, but I am already cannibalizing it for ideas. Even just getting as far as the page title "Parliament of Cats" is amazing. I think my biggest hurdle is that it's not possible to set this game up so that I can make characters and the players just grab one and go - Fate requires a more intimate touch at char-gen.

Man, I'm gonna have to put something together though. I'm itchin' to try this out. I'll let you know of anything else as it arises.

Only complaint so far; "Exclusive spells require your class title in your high concept". Kinda tacky, I think, when you can't be, say, "Mystical savant" and have to instead be "Master Warden" every time. I'll see how it unfolds though, because it may actually be a mechanic I steal.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

My initial idea - though I'm having a hard time selling the "magical intelligent cats" part - was to run an appropriately modified Masks of Nyarlathotep.

Lovecraftian horrors might shatter the average *human* mind, but you guys aren't human, are ya? And what's a New York cat to do when he needs to find a way to Egypt in order to save the world.

DUN DUN DUNNN!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

That is the best pitch. Also, cats and Egypt. There's totally something you can do there.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-12-04 at 12:53 AM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    That is the best pitch. Also, cats and Egypt. There's totally something you can do there.
    Oh yes. As I recall, when I ran it "plain" - for reasons I forget, it might even have been part of the module or something improvised - at one point the players were running through dark, twisty alleys in Cairo at night, one of them hallucinating, being pursued by cultists and cats. Lots of cats.

Again, I don't remember why, but I remember mentioning masked people with clubs and knives and cats hissing and jumping at them from rooftops.
    Spoiler
    Show