New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What's the steampunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I never got how Sky Captain counted as Steampunk when it's all electricity based and is ridiculously pulp.
    I don't think pulp is a barrier. The electricity might be, although I remember the film maintaining a vague steampunk aesthetic even if the power source wasn't technically steam. Then again, my brain melted out of my ears about five minutes in and I've since done my best to smother any remaining memory of the experience, so I probably recall incorrectly.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I never got how Sky Captain counted as Steampunk when it's all electricity based and is ridiculously pulp.
    If anything, I'd say it's because, in review of Wikipedia's list of steampunk works, steampunk seems to be a label defined more by aesthetic than technical requirements or theme. To paraphrase Randall Munroe, everything seems equally old-timey.

Or maybe the Steampunk Club is just desperate for membership.

Who knows?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    If anything, I'd say it's because, in review of Wikipedia's list of steampunk works, steampunk seems to be a label defined more by aesthetic than technical requirements or theme. To paraphrase Randall Munroe, everything seems equally old-timey.

Who knows?
    ..... Treasure planet is considered steampunk.....
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post

Who knows?
    I can't say I thought Sky Captain looked steampunk. For one thing there seemed to be a real lack of, well, steam. Maybe I'm not up with the cool kids, but the absence of steam does seem probative. It also lacked a gear fetish. Really it was drawing aesthetically from either World War II era technology or what we think 1950's sci-fi looks like. Sorta like Fallout, but not terrible.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    I can't say I thought Sky Captain looked steampunk. For one thing there seemed to be a real lack of, well, steam. Maybe I'm not up with the cool kids, but the absence of steam does seem probative. It also lacked a gear fetish. Really it was drawing aesthetically from either World War II era technology or what we think 1950's sci-fi looks like. Sorta like Fallout, but not terrible.
    Dieselpunk then?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Dieselpunk then?
    Not really. In part because I'm not overly enamored of sticking '-punk' on the end of a source of mechanical power and calling it a genre - look a knight on a horse! So horsepunk! But mostly because Sky Captain was in my opinion mostly rooted in classic pulp stories, and I generally find it a mistake to backdate modern ideas of genre onto things the predated them, or indeed to apply very modern genre labels and ideas to things that are deliberately playing in older waters. That just leads to nonsense like saying Beowulf is fantasy and thinking it means something, or a tacit assumption that what's interesting and worthwhile about any particular story is how it influenced the current ossification of genre as if these are fixed and inevitable, rather than a story written in its own time and context for that understanding of genre.

Which is not to say that an understanding of genre evolution is not a worthwhile investigation itself. However I think such an undertaking has to remain grounded in the realities that produced each particular work, and follow those through time, rather than start with the modern understanding of 'fantasy' as a universal and start slapping it willy-nilly on everything that contains dragons.

The tl;dr of which is that I probably read too much mid-twentieth century weird stuff.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Not really. In part because I'm not overly enamored of sticking '-punk' on the end of a source of mechanical power and calling it a genre - look a knight on a horse! So horsepunk!
    Now Ive got the thought of a setting where literal horse-power is driven beyond it's logical maximum into sci-fi realm completely bypassing fossil fuels. Horse-mills and gears everywhere!

Edit: And horse-pulled main battle tanks; lots of those :)
    Last edited by Rainbownaga; 2014-11-16 at 04:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbownaga View Post
    Now Ive got the thought of a setting where literal horse-power is driven beyond it's logical maximum into sci-fi realm completely bypassing fossil fuels. Horse-mills and gears everywhere!

Edit: And horse-pulled main battle tanks; lots of those :)
    Horse-drawn main battle tanks were actually more or less a thing, although they're more commonly called war wagons. But a big tough wagon with reinforced sides to shelter handgunners and crowsbowmen and a smallish cannon on top is functionally pretty much a tank. Thanks to pre-made breachloading charges, they could apparently have a pretty decent rate of fire as well.

The great thing about history is that it's always weirder than we give it credit for.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah come to think on it Attack on Titan is basically horsepunk.

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I don't think pulp is a barrier. The electricity might be, although I remember the film maintaining a vague steampunk aesthetic even if the power source wasn't technically steam. Then again, my brain melted out of my ears about five minutes in and I've since done my best to smother any remaining memory of the experience, so I probably recall incorrectly.
    the closest to steampunk anything in Skycaptain is are the robots. Most of it otherwise is an equal blend of 50s Scifi, WW2 Tech, with 20s gangsters painted over an Indiana Jones movie. The submersible planes were badass though. Avengers does Helicarriers better
    Last edited by toapat; 2014-11-17 at 10:21 AM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Yeah come to think on it Attack on Titan is basically horsepunk.
    I am tempted to sig this.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GorinichSerpant View Post
    I am tempted to sig this.
    Go ahead!

Granted, the amount of steam tech means it may technically be steampunk...but for the most part, it's emphatically "let's make a dystopian, high-tech society out of medieval europe", which seems like it should be the definition of horsepunk.

Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show