New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press - Tzocatl, The First Language: Open Playtest

Is that weird, by the by? Should I just make it based on your Tzocatl mod?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Taking 20 only really comes up for litanies that you're likely to have up constantly or as part of pre-buffing, too be honest. Otherwise they mostly just work like slightly less consistent stances.

Although come to think of it, the same goes for all edicts in general. If you have something with a sufficiently long duration, there's no downside to taking twenty so your minion permanently has a contingent thundercloud over their head or whatever.

I'm not really sure in which cases it would be problematic, to be honest.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    Dragonfire Litany specifically isn't a problem.

However, more generally that might be a bit of an issue. It only takes two minutes to Take 20 for Litany of Daggers, for instance.

Although the checks themselves are relevant in cases where you want to use a swift action to change Litany mid-combat. Like, for instance, if you had the Litany of Mercy active more or less by default but then you ran into a room full of zombies and decided that maybe the Litany of Resilience might be a bit more immediately useful.
    I missed that line in DFL. Litany of Daggers is also vulnerable to taking a twenty, but I think it would take 4 minutes to avoid the -5 anti spam penalty.

Truenamed weapon takes longer to take a twenty, but doing so with a low positive modifier would have very obvious results based on the roll--either your sword is on fire or it isn't. It would probably take about 1-3 days of downtime to do so for the feat, depending on if you need to undo the ritual between attempts and how much testing you do per attempt.

"Just take a twenty on long duration buffs" sounds like the sort of advice this forum will give if the rules are not changed in significant and relevant ways. This will create a difference in power based on how long is spent prebuffing.

Whether you consider it a bug or a feature is a design decision you have to make. I made the comment because that is the sort of design decision that could easily be made accidentally due to an oversight, and you should probably look into the balance implications of allowing people to take a twenty on long duration buffs.

If you decide it is a bug, basing it on modifier is the only way I can think of to avoid it without vast changes to the system (e.g. uses per day or consequences for failure) or causing vast amounts of confusion and internet arguments (e.g. a line that says "You cannot take a twenty on this Tzocatl check", with no satisfactory explanation as to why not). There is probably some other option out there, and basing it on modifier may have exploits of its own which I lack the system mastery to find.

On the other hand, as Gemini476 points out, there might not even be any problems with allowing it. Unfortunately, I do not have enough sense of balance, especially in PF, to offer an informed opinion.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Abithrios View Post
    (e.g. a line that says "You cannot take a twenty on this Tzocatl check", with no satisfactory explanation as to why not)
    I'd just like to note that that would be really dumb since the purpose of Taking 20 is so that you don't get players just rolling and rerolling checks until they get a 20 manually. You'll need some kind of consequence for that to not work. (Although as noted it would take four minutes to take 20 and two to "take 15", I suppose. That's probably something to note in a sidebar. Also, maybe consider allowing taking 10 in situations where you aren't threatened. No need to have a bunch of extraneous dice rolls.)

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

Isn't taking 10 or 20 something you can only do with skill checks?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NamelessNPC View Post
    Isn't taking 10 or 20 something you can only do with skill checks?
    Most of the time, yes.

However, it's also a convenient statistic simplification when you have a somewhat binary situation that you roll a d20 to succeed at. Taking 10 is just (slightly less than) the average result of a d20, and if you instead of Taking 20 just spent twenty times as long rerolling and rerolling your Tzocatl check until you get a natural twenty... well, statistically that's pretty much the same thing. Except you're not annoying the rest of the players as much.

Basically, allowing people to take 20 leads to less tedious gameplay. Taking 10 is more arguable, but given that Tzocatl encourages you to roll by giving you additional benefits for high rolls it kind of balances out?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

What if I alllowed take 10 when not threatened for litanies, but not edicts?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

The only real problem I have with this, as I have had with most of DSPs recent forays into 'completing' the PF subsystems, is that they are WAY too fluff-heavy. That is all.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    The only real problem I have with this, as I have had with most of DSPs recent forays into 'completing' the PF subsystems, is that they are WAY too fluff-heavy. That is all.
    I'm not exactly sure how it could have less fluff, considering the playtest doc has practically none.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not exactly sure how it could have less fluff, considering the playtest doc has practically none.
    Agreed. While there are certainly themes to the recent stuff (Tzocatl's implicit native American background, Akashic's Silk Road themes), Andreas actually tends to have us throttle back anything that implies a specific campaign setting or world type to make the systems as easily integrated into a campaign as possible. Note that Middle Eastern or South American naming conventions are a bit different than saying "All Viziers come from fantasy Egypt and all Advocates must come from fantasy South America".

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I may have overstated a bit, but the naming conventions do seem to pigeonholes the feel of characters a bit, as you can hardly remove yourself from such ability referrals at the the table.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I may have overstated a bit, but the naming conventions do seem to pigeonholes the feel of characters a bit, as you can hardly remove yourself from such ability referrals at the the table.
    I get that. It's kind of along the same line as people who hear "cleric" and automatically translate it to "healer", even though really you may be playing an "antipaladin" on the cleric chassis. Someone may hear "advocate" and attach their own understanding of that word to your completely different concept, or hear "tzocatl" and assume you're an Aztec-looking shaman when the character you envisioned is a suit-wearing city-dweller. I, personally, don't see that as being too likely to be an issue, but I get where you're coming from.

There are reasons we make the choices we make though. We'll often choose a particular culture or region to draw inspiration from for a variety of reasons, including things like whether that particular culture/region was the original source of myths or concepts that our idea is based on, whether or not that culture has been supported or explored in other sources, and sometimes to just give a new subsystem that "hook" that catches the eye and hints at the ways it might be different.

I know in Akashic Mysteries, despite the fact that the classes are the Vizier, Guru, and Daevic, their actual abilities and the names of their veils are all pretty region neutral. Something I'll personally do to kind of set my character apart, is instead of referring to him by his class, I'll refer to his Path/School/Bloodline/Philosophy/Archetype/etc. So instead of introducing my Vizier, I might introduce my Seer/Crafter/Ruler and instead of introducing my Cleric, I might introduce my Necromancer/Crusader/Theologian; that way instead of whatever general baggage they might associate with Vizier, they refer to me by the more mechanically relevant portion of who my character is.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

That is a clever way to go about it. Also avoids me having to put a pronunciation guide under everyone's nose

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

That is a clever way to go about it. Also avoids me having to put a pronunciation guide under everyone's nose
    I recently wrote a class called the Battle Lord for Amora Games. I gave pre-built characters to my group with their roles written in where the class title would normally be, so they had a Scout, Medic, Soldier, and Artillerist in the group. No one found out until after the playtest that they were all playing different paths of the same class. They kept thinking I was writing a bunch of new classes using some undisclosed power source :P

Similarly, my fiancee once played an archer Sohei with a pegasus mount and introduced herself to the group as a "scout". Everyone in the group thought she was a Ranger for like 4 levels (we started at level 7, I believe) until a barghest barbarian shattered her bow and pulled her off her mount, forcing her to throw out a flurry of unarmed strikes during her attempt to escape. Our friend Steve looked at her and asked "You took a feat for Improved Unarmed Strike for your Ranger?" and she tells him "Monks get it for free." His perplexed look was kind of priceless.

I also played a "drow priestess" once who was actually a Summoner with the Spider Summoner feat and an eidolon designed to look and play like a yochlol (lots of tentacles).

Long story short, I've always found it's more helpful for players to introduce their characters by what they do, rather than by what class they picked to do it with.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2014-11-19 at 07:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    I recently wrote a class called the Battle Lord for Amora Games. I gave pre-built characters to my group with their roles written in where the class title would normally be, so they had a Scout, Medic, Soldier, and Artillerist in the group. No one found out until after the playtest that they were all playing different paths of the same class. They kept thinking I was writing a bunch of new classes using some undisclosed power source :P

Similarly, my fiancee once played an archer Sohei with a pegasus mount and introduced herself to the group as a "scout". Everyone in the group thought she was a Ranger for like 4 levels (we started at level 7, I believe) until a barghest barbarian shattered her bow and pulled her off her mount, forcing her to throw out a flurry of unarmed strikes during her attempt to escape. Our friend Steve looked at her and asked "You took a feat for Improved Unarmed Strike for your Ranger?" and she tells him "Monks get it for free." His perplexed look was kind of priceless.

I also played a "drow priestess" once who was actually a Summoner with the Spider Summoner feat and an eidolon designed to look and play like a yochlol (lots of tentacles).

Long story short, I've always found it's more helpful for players to introduce their characters by what they do, rather than by what class they picked to do it with.
    That's absolutely wonderful. Oh man.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have thought about this a bit more. I still have no other solution to this issue. I think basing a wide variety of buffs on modifier seems like a good idea. When I utter Eternal Armament, the current rules make me recalculate my attack bonus, which will probably be different than what it was last fight. This increases the amount of math that needs to be done at the table. Table math can be much reduced if there is at least a variant rule that lets me treat my Tzocatl check as x+Tzocatl modifier at least sometimes.

Then I can just write the number on my character sheet and be done with it.

What if I alllowed take 10 when not threatened for litanies, but not edicts?
    Given that there are degrees of success, but no actual failure, I think the x should probably be above 10. The expected value (mean) of speaking an edict tends to be better than the median result, so taking a 10 is typically worse than rolling. (btw, I am not referring to the fact that the average of a d20 is 10.5). It would probably make more sense to let someone treat their roll as somewhere in the 11-15 rather than a 10. You would have to do the math to determine the best number that balances the math.

At the very least, a side bar should explain how long it takes to take a twenty.

Other things:

Studied Edict smells like the sort of feat that will get argued about a lot on the playground. I am not sure whether they will decide it is useless or overpowered or both, but probably not neither. With that in play, the wording of every esoterica has to be even more rock solid than otherwise.

For example, if I get the esoterica for war cry to pick up the feat Rapid Shot, then studied edict, I could see it argued that I get another extra shot when I use the feat. Another interpretation is that I get a second combat feat. A third is that I get nothing.

That is just the first trick I could think of. I am sure there are others out there. I would suggest getting rid of the consolation prize for those who have the esoterica already, and anything that has studied edict as a requirement instead requires knowing the esoterica.

As a side note, the power of the esoterica seem to be all over the map. One grants a fighter bonus feat and another is worse than skill focus (buff), giving a smaller bonus, which doesn't scale with skill points invested, only applies to a single type of bluff, and is an insight bonus, which the book hands out like candy.

That will probably get a lot more attention in a later stage of development.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Just a quick update: Still working on this, been bogged down with holidays and sick kids. Lots of notes on paper to move to digital, which I'll be doing shortly.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Halfling in the Playground

As somebody who just stumbled onto this, I like everything about it except the use of the name "Tzocatl".

For some reason the words of power themselves don't both me, but using "Tzocatl" in ability names when everything else is given in more genericized English terms ("words of power", "Knight-Scholar", etc) rubs me wrong. It seems like it would fit better if it was mechanically referred to with something like "First Speech", then in ability descriptions or background fluff the Tzocatl name was mentioned.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
    As somebody who just stumbled onto this, I like everything about it except the use of the name "Tzocatl".

For some reason the words of power themselves don't both me, but using "Tzocatl" in ability names when everything else is given in more genericized English terms ("words of power", "Knight-Scholar", etc) rubs me wrong. It seems like it would fit better if it was mechanically referred to with something like "First Speech", then in ability descriptions or background fluff the Tzocatl name was mentioned.
    I am very strongly in agreement with this.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Really? I mean, I guess I can see that, but how is it different than, say, a...hm, I can't really come up with a counterexample. I could call it the "First Language" in mechanical text and refer to the checks as "diction checks" or something. That might get rid of the "Base Tzocatl DC" thing that isn't really a DC problem while I'm at it, if I just call it a "Diction check".

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Really? I mean, I guess I can see that, but how is it different than, say, a...hm, I can't really come up with a counterexample. I could call it the "First Language" in mechanical text and refer to the checks as "diction checks" or something. That might get rid of the "Base Tzocatl DC" thing that isn't really a DC problem while I'm at it, if I just call it a "Diction check".
    I think the issue is that it feels a bit like the current layout lacks cohesion a bit. Words like Advocate, Knight-Scholar, etc. imply a western European theme that jars with the otherwise South American theme implied by the other terminology involved in the subsystem. I don't know that you need to strip Tzocatl and other such references out, but the other terminology should really be updated to match; basically there's some dissonance in the theme and going one way or the other would help clean that up. While making everything uniform to the precedent set by the class names and changing Tzocatl to diction is probably the easiest way to make a generic and accessible supplement, I'd actually be really disappointed to see the change. I'd rather it go the other way with more South American references worked into the naming structure (at least in theme, if not actual language).

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm. Maybe you take the primary names of things more towards the South American naming conventions, and then provide a sidebar or something with a list of alternate European-themed names for stuff? For example, the default name of Tzocatl would be, well, Tzocatl, but you'd give First Speech as an alternative name for people who want a more generically adaptable fluff.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Unrelated to current convo: just made a bunch of edits to the playtest doc per Jaid (on the DSP forum) and Zaq's (you know, the truenamer guy) suggestions.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

I think the issue is that it feels a bit like the current layout lacks cohesion a bit. Words like Advocate, Knight-Scholar, etc. imply a western European theme that jars with the otherwise South American theme implied by the other terminology involved in the subsystem. I don't know that you need to strip Tzocatl and other such references out, but the other terminology should really be updated to match; basically there's some dissonance in the theme and going one way or the other would help clean that up. While making everything uniform to the precedent set by the class names and changing Tzocatl to diction is probably the easiest way to make a generic and accessible supplement, I'd actually be really disappointed to see the change. I'd rather it go the other way with more South American references worked into the naming structure (at least in theme, if not actual language).
    I'm I favor of the more generic names; I can't pronounce, spell, or remember the South American ones.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Firbolg in the Playground

Considering me and my players haven't ever successfully pronounced even the word Couatl correctly once, I would be rather happy with their being non-aztec names.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Another option would be using English words for South American ideas. My cultural savvy is a little weak in this area, but if you used naming conventions that convey the feeling you're looking for (more Jaguar Warrior, less Knight-Scholar) than you can keep the theme while cutting out the difficult to pronounce words.

Something like:

Instead of Advocate, Sunspeaker (again, cultural savvy low, so this just an example of what I'm getting at).

and language like "First Speech, or Tzocatl in the tongue of its earliest practitioners, is...."

That would let you simultaneously strengthen the theme, and increase the accessibility.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2014-12-05 at 06:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    I'm I favor of the more generic names; I can't pronounce, spell, or remember the South American ones.
    So much this. I had a lot of trouble with Veilweaving (specifically the new races related to that) due to similar issues. Having names that are easy to remember and pronounce is a really big deal in a game where most of your interactions are vocal, and being able to memorize your abilities is a big part of what keeps the game going. There is a good reason that you use "Mandate of Agony" as your ability name instead of "Nictoliniz". That same logic should apply across the spectrum of the material.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Incarnum"

Personally, I think having a strange name for the system is fine. On the other hand, I cannot tell from the name of a metaedict feat whether it changes the elemental damage of the edict to osmium damage or keeps eavesdroppers from identifying your edicts by covering your words with the moos of a thousand cows.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Another option would be using English words for South American ideas. My cultural savvy is a little weak in this area, but if you used naming conventions that convey the feeling you're looking for (more Jaguar Warrior, less Knight-Scholar) than you can keep the theme while cutting out the difficult to pronounce words.

Something like:

Instead of Advocate, Sunspeaker (again, cultural savvy low, so this just an example of what I'm getting at).

and language like "First Speech, or Tzocatl in the tongue of its earliest practitioners, is...."

That would let you simultaneously strengthen the theme, and increase the accessibility.
    Seconding this idea.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Seconding this idea.
    Im thirding this idea, on the grounds of being unable to read or pronounce 80% of what names you've created/translated.

Spoiler
    Show
    Belladonis Campaign Setting 3.5
    Casting as a Skill

Learn from your mistakes, 3.5...
    Fill in those dead levels...

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Welcome to the World Serpent Inn!
    Spoiler
    Show