New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Barroom Brawler could definitely see use, although I'm not so sure about the Fortuitous weapon property as its only 1/round.
    It may be only once per round, but the fact is that the Warder is a class built around the concept of nearly ALWAYS being able to make that AoO. Being able to get an additional attack almost every round which stacks with just about everything is a Big Dealtm

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

I updated the ones I could find, but I very well could have missed a few.

Its been tricky to go back and update them all as I don't have a hard copy to take with me to places, and I travel a lot so I don't always have access to my PDF. The PFSRD section is poorly organized and edited, making it even more of a chore. I'm planning on doing a "Guide to Maneuvers" at some point to review all the disciplines and how to get them for each class, that way I can update all the maneuvers in one go and then move those updated lists into the guides themselves.

Was there anything specific you noted? PM/email what I might have missed so I can make corrections.
    I'd say to check through maneuvers that you marked violet or red; if it was really good or if it was really bad, I tried to alter them.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    I'd say to check through maneuvers that you marked violet or red; if it was really good or if it was really bad, I tried to alter them.

-X
    Since I've got you, how does Solar Hailstorm Stance interact with haste, speed, rapid shot, manyshot and other extra attack stacking effects? Because the big issue with it was that it explicitly didn't stack with these other effects.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Will you be doing anything concerning the PrC's? Such as listing (and possibly rating) the PrC's that would work great within each class, or the inverse of that for a handbook covering only the PRC's, rating them, and giving them suggested classes to go into them and how that would affect the overall playstle.

For example: The Dragon Fury can easily be entered using any of the 3 base classes, but can only be done using the Dervish Defender Warder, and that presents a completely different playstyle compared to using a Warlord or even the Stalker to enter into it. (Personally, I'm a big fan of the dervish defender Dragon Fury lol)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elfkin_King View Post
    Will you be doing anything concerning the PrC's? Such as listing (and possibly rating) the PrC's that would work great within each class, or the inverse of that for a handbook covering only the PRC's, rating them, and giving them suggested classes to go into them and how that would affect the overall playstle.

For example: The Dragon Fury can easily be entered using any of the 3 base classes, but can only be done using the Dervish Defender Warder, and that presents a completely different playstyle compared to using a Warlord or even the Stalker to enter into it. (Personally, I'm a big fan of the dervish defender Dragon Fury lol)
    I thought I'd answered this in the thread already but I guess not. I will be reviewing the PrCs at some point, but I can't say for sure when. I'm not trying to stake a claim on them though. So if someone else is interested in doing guides, I encourage them to do so. Its a great way to learn the system in depth.

You're right about dervish defender/dragon fury being very different from stalker or warder play, but that's just the nature of the beast really. PrCs will play differently depending on which class is used to enter them because they'll have different abilities to advance.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Since I've got you, how does Solar Hailstorm Stance interact with haste, speed, rapid shot, manyshot and other extra attack stacking effects? Because the big issue with it was that it explicitly didn't stack with these other effects.
    Solar Hailstorm Stance
    Discipline: Solar Wind (Stance); Level: 8
    Prerequisite(s): Three Solar Wind maneuvers
    Initiation Action: 1 swift action
    Range: personal
    Target: You
    Duration: Stance

A master of the Solar Wind, the disciple may attack with the speed of the sun's rays. While in this stance and making a full attack, he may make two additional ranged weapon attacks using his full base attack bonus and he may add his initiation modifier to damage on these attacks. This is a supernatural ability.
    Posted for ease of reference.

I see no reason why you cannot use Rapid Shot or Manyshot on this now. Haste is not forbidden either. Enjoy your ridiculous torrent of arrows/throwing knives/spoons.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Please, real professionals uses foons.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    Please, real professionals uses foons.
    Do you mean sporks?

9. - Top - End - #39

DwarfClericGuy

I'd appeal the rating on Leaping Dragon, personally. It's swift action movement. At level one, with a rank in acrobatics and 16 dex (Not unreasonable for a finesse TWFer?) you can make a jump check as a swift action at +17, which will, on average, net you 25ft of movement as a swift action. Throw in skill focus at 10 and keep it maxed(Not unreasonable, considering it's the counter skill for Thrashing Dragon and Broken Blade) and a and it's a +37, for 35ft minimum movement, and your dex has probably gone up by then.

As, y'know.

A swift action.
    So you can still make full attacks.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Some new/changed Stalker Arts I found

Rogue Talent now allows you to take Ninja Trick (the banned list is now advanced talents, Ki Pool and Underhanded). Probably should put it up a star

Obfuscate lasts for Wis Mod minutes and adds the power of cloud mind to your stealthing. THe saving throw makes it tricky, especially because buffing the DC gets expensive, fast.

Ki Vampirism has been tweaked. Both kills and crits apply, but it's 3+WIS per day limit. Which, admittedly, is still a nice buff to your pool. Mayyybe down a star, but I think it's good where it is.

Murderous Insight is my new favorite. For a ki, one attack/round for the next 1+WIS rounds is roll twice and take the better. That's a ~+3 bonus to hit on a 3/4ths class without inherent accuracy buffs, and an almost doubled chance of critting. Sure, it's only one attack per round (as clarified on the DSP forum), but you're an initiating class.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

The critical edge stalker art stacks with the deadly pairing teamwork feat right? (they both say they apply after keen/improved crit and neither says they don't stack with other threat range increases).

13-20 crit range sounds pretty nice even if it's a bit pricy (1 stalker art, 1 feat, 1 stance, and a +1 weapon property)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I've added a new guide to my list, an introduction guide which currently talks a bit about weapon selection and has my guides to all the disciplines currently released, including Black Seraph and Silver Crane.

I am still hoping someone will do reviews of the Bushi, Hussar and Mithral Current Discipline. So if anyone's interested please let me know!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

Did you forget that the Rapier is a finessable weapon and thus qualifies for deadly agility (it's actually used for the example in the feat itself)? There's no need to go for weapon focus+fencing grace.

Also Scimitar is not a finessable weapon and thus doesn't qualify for deadly agility. You HAVE to go the dervish dance route (or weapon finesse+the agile enchantment) if you want dex to damage with scimitars.
    Last edited by DarkSonic1337; 2014-12-02 at 10:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSonic1337 View Post
    Did you forget that the Rapier is a finessable weapon and thus qualifies for deadly agility (it's actually used for the example in the feat itself)? There's no need to go for weapon focus+fencing grace.

Also Scimitar is not a finessable weapon and thus doesn't qualify for deadly agility. You HAVE to go the dervish dance route (or weapon finesse+the agile enchantment) if you want dex to damage with scimitars.
    I noted that the scimitar was not finesseable, but also pointed out that even if it was it wouldn't net you a damage increase because you don't get bonus damage for wielding it two-handed.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Longbow says it's only a discipline weapon for Solar Wind. It's also a discipline weapon for Silver Crane.

Dwarven Longhammer is worth a mention for Dwarfs (Who are one of the top core options for most martial classes anyways). It's the Earthbreaker with reach (and more weight), plus it's from a "main" book and not Golarion speciffic, not worth an exotic weapon prof though. Problem is that its weapon group(s) is/are never actually given, though it should be a polearm and/or hammer.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

i was wondering, when would the path of war expanded come out?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hoborobot View Post
    i was wondering, when would the path of war expanded come out?
    When we're done with it. There's still a lot to go: Archetypes, Prestige Classes, Mystic, Elemental Flux, Magic Items?, Monsters?

The last two I'm not even sure are going to make the cut.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

But... but Magic Items! How much longer do I have to wait for that awesome magic weapon enchant that made a duplicate of the weapon to use in the off hand (way back from the first PoW thread IIRC)?

Eh... for something more on topic, are you by any chance planning to make something for the archetypes that genuinely change how the class is played? For example a Dervish Defender plays a lot different from a normal Warder, ditto for the Hawkguard.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    But... but Magic Items! How much longer do I have to wait for that awesome magic weapon enchant that made a duplicate of the weapon to use in the off hand (way back from the first PoW thread IIRC)?

Eh... for something more on topic, are you by any chance planning to make something for the archetypes that genuinely change how the class is played? For example a Dervish Defender plays a lot different from a normal Warder, ditto for the Hawkguard.
    There are reviews for each of the Archetypes in the guides. For the most party I don't think they warrant a full guide, although I would encourage you or anyone else to take a crack at it if you feel its necessary. I'm a little too busy to try and tackle that.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

I understand, the reason why I thought it would be a good idea to expand upon them is that they change the way the class works completely and it changes how things are rated; for example in your Warder guide you rate Dex as an Orange ability score, which is fine and logical, but in the case of a Dervish Defender, it jumps to Blue if not to purple immediately. I may try my hand at it, because I seriously love those archetypes, but I'm fairly busy myself too, so I don't know when I´d be able to do so.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm working on a Dragon Fury guide right now, as it happens. When it's finished, should I host it on Google Docs and post the link here?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I understand, the reason why I thought it would be a good idea to expand upon them is that they change the way the class works completely and it changes how things are rated; for example in your Warder guide you rate Dex as an Orange ability score, which is fine and logical, but in the case of a Dervish Defender, it jumps to Blue if not to purple immediately. I may try my hand at it, because I seriously love those archetypes, but I'm fairly busy myself too, so I don't know when I´d be able to do so.
    I can expand the Archetypes analysis a bit to include alternate stat priorities. That's the fun of google docs, much easier to edit.

Quote Originally Posted by ghanjrho View Post
    I'm working on a Dragon Fury guide right now, as it happens. When it's finished, should I host it on Google Docs and post the link here?
    Ultimately that's up to you. I recommend Google Docs just for ease of writing/editing. If you want me to put it in the first post here, I'd be happy to do so, but if you want it in your own space, that's fine too.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Halfling in the Playground

I love these guides!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Rose View Post
    I love these guides!
    Always glad to hear that. Thank you

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Hey man, like what I see here. Let me know if you ever want to collab on a guide, seems like it'd be fun.

26. - Top - End - #56

DwarfClericGuy

I ain't got nothing but nothin to do at the moment, So I'm thinking I'll try my hand at an Awakened Blade guide.

27. - Top - End - #57

It's worth noting that failing an Intimidate check results in the DC for future attempts increasing by 5, so you can't really take 20 on Black Seraph's Glare. (I only learned this today. Oops.)
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Posted for ease of reference.

I see no reason why you cannot use Rapid Shot or Manyshot on this now. Haste is not forbidden either. Enjoy your ridiculous torrent of arrows/throwing knives/spoons.

-X
    Take that Sohei! You're not the only one who can put out 9 arrows a round now... (Though I think with haste, flurry, and the ki attack he still comes out a step ahead, but that's fine, he really should).

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    I ain't got nothing but nothin to do at the moment, So I'm thinking I'll try my hand at an Awakened Blade guide.
    Don't toy with me; this is really going to happen...?

Cautiously optimistic,
    Ghorrin Redblade

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

You might want to downgrade the rating you've given Shards of Iron Strike - according to the SRD, it's been nerfed from auto-stun to auto-stagger. Which is still good, but not as much of a must-have.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).