New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

Quote Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
    Actually, even with that link, I still don't see guides for piercing thunder or tempest gale?

Could very well be missing something though. If so, apologies and thanks for the guides, in any case.
    If you actually take the time to read the whole first post, you will see why that is the case.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I finally have the time to update my guides, so that'll be a thing this week. As noted in my first post, there are large swathes of PoW material that I will not write a guide for (because I wrote the material itself) so those of you who care about PoW and PoW:E please step up and contribute to help make these guides the best they can be!

Also, if you haven't, check out Castilonium's Guide to the Zealot for an alternate take on the class that I think is excellent work.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

It's my thread so I get to double post. The disciplines have been updated in the Guide to Maneuvers and Initiating. I'll be propagating them to their respective class guides later today.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

I noticed you're missing the nodachi in the two-handed lineup. It's statistically better than a falchion, and is in both the heavy blade and polearm weapon groups. Yes it's a giant katana, but a zweihander sentinel wearing O-Yoroi and using a nodachi is high up on my list of things I wanna play.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    I noticed you're missing the nodachi in the two-handed lineup. It's statistically better than a falchion, and is in both the heavy blade and polearm weapon groups. Yes it's a giant katana, but a zweihander sentinel wearing O-Yoroi and using a nodachi is high up on my list of things I wanna play.
    I'm missing a lot of weapons. Fact is, when it comes to two-handed weapons, as long as you're meeting discipline weapon groups (and sometimes not even then) the choice of weapon makes little to no difference mechanically. Maybe a point or two of damage, unless you're CRIT fishing.

6. - Top - End - #156

Planetar

But the nodachi is unique in that it is both a heavy blade AND a polearm, in addition to having d10 instead of 2d4. And it does both slashing and piercing. And, for some reason, it's cheaper. And it's a martial weapon. It counts as a discipline weapon for Piercing Thunder, which is one of those that requires a discipline weapon usually; it can be used to use that discipline while still using what's essentially a better falchion.
    Last edited by Ninjaxenomorph; 2017-01-15 at 02:35 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Thanks for all the hard work you've put in, Elric! You've had an immense impact on the way my friends and I enjoy the game. Moreover, thanks for coming back to this project!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yay for updates! And thank you for plugging my guide . Since the ratings in my guide are zealot-specific and quite different to yours as a result of the zealot's unique playstyle, please feel free to link my guide in your original post so that more people can see it and get more tailored info and a different perspective. If you don't want to, that's completely understandable.

I look forward to seeing the rest of your work!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Harbinger class features and archetypes are up to date. Working on rating maneuvers for the harbinger.

Still don't have anyone to write up a Tempest Gale review for me.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The guide seems to still mention that Crimson Countess gains Fast Healing at level 15, but on PFSRD the Crimson Countess reportedly gains a fly speed in their blood form instead, along with counting as difficult terrain for any enemies inside the cloud (which would be a 75-ft radius sphere/pool). Is the SRD wrong, or did that detail get skipped over in the rewrite?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2017-01-16 at 11:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Harbinger class features and archetypes are up to date. Working on rating maneuvers for the harbinger.
    Wohoo! Finally some action here! Keep up the great work, Elric!

I might, since it seems I happen to have quite a bit of free time on my hands for a few weeks. Anyone has any specific guidelines/tips/wishes on how (and for which class(es)) I should do this?

12. - Top - End - #162

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by upho View Post
    Wohoo! Finally some action here! Keep up the great work, Elric!

I might, since it seems I happen to have quite a bit of free time on my hands for a few weeks. Anyone has any specific guidelines/tips/wishes on how (and for which class(es)) I should do this?
    I may also have a crack at the Tempest gale myself.

And just one question: Does the Edgelord's "Let the Bodies hit the floor" obey the Conjuration (Teleportation) rules, as those specifically require teleported creatures to be placed on surfaces that can support them..
    Last edited by Sayt; 2017-01-21 at 12:41 AM.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-męnu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    I may also have a crack at the Tempest gale myself.

And just one question: Does the Edgelord's "Let the Bodies hit the floor" obey the Conjuration (Teleportation) rules, as those specifically require teleported creatures to be placed on surfaces that can support them..
    It does not. Otherwise how could the bodies hit the floor?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Mystic has been updated with the appropriate class features, archetypes and maneuvers.

Lord Gareth, if you're reading this I hate you and your stupid "chance all the class features" archetype.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Mystic has been updated with the appropriate class features, archetypes and maneuvers.
    Blade meditation was nerfed from 1d6 per remaining animus to 1d6 + 1d6 per two points of remaining animus.

Candle Magic seems to be able to project one effect of each tier simultaneously.

16. - Top - End - #166

DwarfClericGuy

You don't need spells to craft magic items, or for allies to provide them. You can take a +5 to the craft DC to do them without the spell ready.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-męnu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    You don't need spells to craft magic items, or for allies to provide them. You can take a +5 to the craft DC to do them without the spell ready.
    Yes, I know. But why spend the extra effort when you could spend quality alone time with the party's cute sorceress?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Firbolg in the Playground

Jade, if you're reading this I hate you and your stupid "chance all the class features" archetype.
    I prefer my handle online, if y'please.

Also! Your opener on Harbi still suggests that Accursed Will influences saves.

EDIT: Also you can have one candle magic effect of each level; one Votive, one Lantern, one Bonfire.
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2017-01-21 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

My bad, I forgot. Good to know on the candle magic, it didn't seem to read that way to me. I'll fix it tomorrow, for now: Pokemon.

20. - Top - End - #170

Do you plan on tackling the new Warlord material from PoWE soon? I'm making a desperado for a campaign I'll be playing in soon and I'd be curious to see your take on the new gambits and which gunslinger deeds are best for a desperado.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Da Beast View Post
    Do you plan on tackling the new Warlord material from PoWE soon? I'm making a desperado for a campaign I'll be playing in soon and I'd be curious to see your take on the new gambits and which gunslinger deeds are best for a desperado.
    How soon is soon? I haven't got a particular order I'm doing things in so depending on how soon you need to be ready I could work on the warlord next or you could make a thread and plug the community for build suggestions.

22. - Top - End - #172

I'll probably be playing this character in 2 to 4 weeks but I can figure things out for myself if you want to get to other things first.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I can get the warlord updated in that time.

EDIT: I can give you ratings on the deeds right now: Deadeye, Quick Clear, and Gunslinger's Initiative are the only ones worth taking. Everything else is basically worthless. If you have to get a 4th one, it'll be Lightning Reload, but you don't actually need it at all.

24. - Top - End - #174

Keep in mind the desperado is specifically allowed to take deeds normally reserved for gunslnger archetypes. This would allow the musket master fast musket deed to get reloads on a two handed firearms down to a free action, various techslinger deeds might be useful depending on prevalence of advanced technology, mysterious stranger's focused aim could be good at low levels (although it regrettably competes for a swift action which the warlord has in short supply), and there's probably some other choice deeds that could come in handy.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Reloading a musket as a free action can be done by 5th level thanks to alchemical cartridge + Rapid Reload + Fan the Hammer.

26. - Top - End - #176

I forgot about alchemical cartridges. I suppose the musket master deed would at least save you some money and the other deeds I mentioned could still be useful.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Made some updates to the warlord guide: added new gambits, presences and the desperado archetype.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Thanks for the hard work!
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

29. - Top - End - #179

Planetar

... Wait, so the Desperado only lets you cherry-pick deeds? I thought it granted you them as normal except as a gunslinger three levels lower, and at the levels specified, you chose (potentially archetype) deeds that functioned at your full level.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    ... Wait, so the Desperado only lets you cherry-pick deeds? I thought it granted you them as normal except as a gunslinger three levels lower, and at the levels specified, you chose (potentially archetype) deeds that functioned at your full level.
    From the text:

Quote Originally Posted by Deeds
    Desperados spend grit points to accomplish deeds. Most deeds grant the desperado some momentary bonus or effect, but there are some that provide longer lasting effects. Some deeds stay in effect as long as the desperado has at least 1 grit point. For the purposes of learning and performing deeds and for prerequisites, a desperado’s effective gunslinger level is equal to his class level –4. Unless otherwise noted, a deed can be performed multiple successive times, as long as the appropriate amount of grit is spent to perform the deed. At 5th level and again at 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, and 15th levels, the desperado learns a deed that a gunslinger of his effective gunslinger level could learn.

This ability replaces dual tactical presence and warlord’s presence.
    "A" means one. The upside is that you can learn deeds from gunslinger archetypes, but gunslinger archetype deeds are equally crap.