New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default MARVEL VS DC Comics!!!!!!

In this world there is only TWO comic company's anyone cares about, MARVEL and DC!!!

These two competitors have been battling out since they where born from many other company's that came to combine with each other creating these legendary rivals. They fight each other with all they had and even resorting to dirty means to get the upper hand, ripping off characters, copying story lines, and fighting over artists and writers without mercy.

But this day has come on the Internet to debate this epic struggle and to decide which has created a bigger impact on culture, has the greatest story's, has greatest movies,characters, and which is the GREATEST!!!
    If it sounds like I'm trolling I'm really not.

I'm not the smartest thing ever[even know I can seem like it] so I'm going to be wrong some times so just call me out on it.[i swear I'm not trolling]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: MARVEL VS DC Comics!!!!!!

I can personally say that I prefer Marvel's recent movies, as they stay away from having their characters become too dark. Man of Steel was just... Superman should not be dark. Batman? Yes, I suppose. But not Superman.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DC comics gave us Action comics number 1, which gave us super hero's as they are understood today and functionally invented a whole new genera. With out that, there is no rivalry, there is a company that focuses on things like **** Tracy and Sam Spade type character's, and a company that publishes mostly monster books.

DC comes out on top when the whole of everything it taken into account for that reason.

Though I grant I was not impressed with Man of Steel or with the direction DC's cinematic universe and New 52 are/have taking/taken. Not by an increasingly long shot.
    "I Burn!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Who's had a bigger impact is pretty much guaranteed to be DC. Superman, Batman are kind of the biggest names in comics, still. Not saying that's good or bad but it's true.

In terms of quality works, DC has a history of making groundbreaking stories; Watchman, Sandman, Action Comics and so on.

However, taking my personal favorites from both; DC still wins, but it's very close. Especially when looking at what's going on now, where as far as I can tell both of them are trying to out stupid each other but Marvel still has a few gems in them.

Now for movies. TDK is my favorite comicbook movie. But outside the recent Bat trilogy, which had problems but I still found really enjoyable, I can't think of much good that's come from DC since Superman 2. Hell, Batman and Robin nearly killed comicbook movies completely, and the less said about Green Lantern the better. Meanwhile Marvel has Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, Captain America 2, and don't seem to be slowing down. So I'd give that one to Marvel.

Outside of comics and movies, DC has the DCAU so it wins that too.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Image, obviously.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Image, obviously.
    You spelled Dark Horse wrong

I'm not usually one for cape books, so Vertigo is what I think of when I think DC, and is better than most things. Marvel had Epic, which published my all time favorite book (Stray Toasters) and some excellent Hellraiser books, but the imprint didn't last the way Vertigo did. As a kid I loved Marvel's Star imprint, and the G.I. Joe/Transformers books were great (hold up fairly well too).

But if we are going to talk about superheroes, Marvel has X-Men, so I'd lean that way. But I do enjoy the occasional Batman story so my overall answer is both (yeah, I'm no fun at these games)

7. - Top - End - #7

EvilClericGuy

I suppose someone could be real Valiant and pick a real Dark Horse if they weren't so concerned about their Image but that could lead to total Chaos! (though it could also be DYNAMITE). In the meantime, Make Mine Marvel true believer. Excelsior! Though the Distinguished Competition does turn out worthwhile products too.

As for a real answer, I believe DC has had the greater cultural impact but Marvel is likely the more relevant at the moment.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I prefer reading Marvel magazine, but DC has the better graphic novels. DC also had Sandman. I probably give DC the edge even though I read more Marvel.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Findpathfencer View Post
    In this world there is only TWO comic company's anyone cares about, MARVEL and DC!!!
    All I know is, Vertigo gave us the only Sandman comics anyone cares about.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

In America, perhaps. Personally, Dargaud, Dupuis, Casterman, Ehapa and a few others had much more impact on me, especially as a kid.

If I need to choose one of the two, DC. They have Vertigo, though I've never read a main DC comic, I think. Neither have I read any Marvel.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2014-10-29 at 06:14 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #11

PirateGirl

I don't know what this brings to the discussion, but I would say that DC in general has a much better track record for good move adaptations for their properties.

And they also have what is probably the best superhero move as well. The Dark Knight.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    In America, perhaps. Personally, Dargaud, Dupuis, Casterman, Ehapa and a few others had much more impact on me, especially as a kid.
    And let's not forget non-European magazines like Shounen Jump and Shoujo Beat...
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

13. - Top - End - #13

Marvel, because I read their comics and seen their TV shows. The DCAU is probably better than the Yost-verse since it lasted longer, and Wolverine & X-Men wasn't that good, but I haven't seen those cartoons in ages.

I think Marvel has an edge because they had the same universe since Fantastic Four #1 in 1961, while DC didn't care about continuity until Crisis on Infinite Earths in 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMug Paladin View Post
    I don't know what this brings to the discussion, but I would say that DC in general has a much better track record for good move adaptations for their properties.
    Batman & Robin says hi.

The Dark Knight is the only truly great DC movie. Marvel has Spider-Man 2, Iron Man, The Avengers, and X-Men: Days of Future Past.
    Last edited by Zmeoaice; 2014-10-29 at 06:51 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Which is better? I submit this as the only evidence I need.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Speaking of that, the Japanese intros are also awesome. I'd argue moreso.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Fun tidbit, I have this, the Justice League and the Batman theme all on my ipod. Man, those were some great shows. I find it odd though, that animated X-men were part of what got me into comics in the first place, yet now I have grown to despise just about everything about the mutants in Marvel.

17. - Top - End - #17

Let's be safe.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    The Dark Knight is the only truly great DC movie. Marvel has Spider-Man 2, Iron Man, The Avengers, and X-Men: Days of Future Past.
    The first Christopher Reeves Superman movie was as good as any Marvel movie adaption, except for maybe Iron Man. Overall, though, I'd agree that the Marvel movie adaptions have been better.

But I wouldn't judge either company by adaptations of their works.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Image, obviously.
    Image has been absolutely fantastic lately.

My favorite is Vertigo, which is a DC imprint, so DC technically wins I guess. I prefer actual-Marvel to actual-DC, though.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    The first Christopher Reeves Superman movie was as good as any Marvel movie adaption, except for maybe Iron Man. Overall, though, I'd agree that the Marvel movie adaptions have been better.

But I wouldn't judge either company by adaptations of their works.
    Well the MCU movies aren't just adaptations of Marvel's comics but are in fact also made by Marvel.

In terms of comics I prefer Marvel overall.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2014-10-29 at 10:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    And let's not forget non-European magazines like Shounen Jump and Shoujo Beat...
    Don’t count?

DC has more Iconic superheroes. So they probably carry more weight.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

But this day has come on the Internet to debate this epic struggle and to decide which has created a bigger impact on culture, has the greatest stories, has greatest movies,characters, and which is the GREATEST!!!
    Bigger impact on culture goes to DC. Hands down. I can't think of many iconic Covers, but when I do, Superman lifting a car and Batman holding Jason Todd in his arms are some of the ones at the top of my list. Or the plain black Superman cover, but, that's DC, too. I can't really think of too many Marvel iconic covers. I think a bunch of covers with Black Cat on them are stuck in my mind, because ten years ago I was a teenager while reading Spider-Man, and, well it was Black Cat, and I was a teenager.

Greatest stories, again, DC. Marvel has Civil War, and IMO, Dark Reign was pretty good. World War Hulk was decent enough, too. But, for all of those stories, Spider-Man has had some pretty awful stories, One More Day/Brand New Day are bad, sure. But Spider-Man fans have to struggle not to punch someone in the head whenever somebody starts talking about clones. Speaking of clones, Marvel is also pretty lousy with Doombots.

DC's got a bunch of good stories. Several of them have already been mentioned in-thread.

Best movies goes to Marvel, but only on an average score. I still think Reeves' Superman and Keaton's Batman were very good. I also liked Constantine a lot, too. But that may just be me and how I love anything to do with John.

Best cartoons goes to Marvel, quite solidly. Their 90s X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons were top-notch in their day. X-Men Evolution was excellent, and Avengers EMH is also really good, and past the first few cringe-inducing episodes, Ultimate Spider-Man is good, too.

DC has...Batman, and then another show about Batman, and another show about Batman, and then another Batman. According to Mark Hamill, the reason they had to keep changing the Batman format was because they weren't selling enough toys. DC also had Teen Titans, which was okay, and then got better than okay depending on whether or not Slade/Ron Perlman was in the episode. Young Justice and Green Lantern Animated were both excellent shows, but a lot of people just couldn't get past GL's animation style, and so they didn't watch it. Doesn't matter, because Young Justice got cancelled as well. Probably because adults like us were watching it (like Legend of Korra, for that matter), and we're not buying toys. If you're a Sat AM cartoon and you aren't making money off of merchandise, well, you're doing it wrong, and you're getting cancelled. Have you tried being more like Spongebob Sqaurepants, I've heard he's pretty popular...Ergh. Teen Titans Go! is just awful.

Best live-action shows goes to DC, especially S7 onwards of Smallville, when they started making Justice League TV-movies. What? Nobody watched Smallville after Season 3? That's their problem. But Smallville was on-air for 10 years, and I don't care what you have to say about it. You don't stay on TV for ten years without something good in the show. But, right now, DC has Arrow, with stellar casting and top-notch villains (Peter Stromare whistling 'In the Hall of the Mountain King' while he blows stuff up is a very strong visual). Flash is still in its infancy, but I'm glad Tom Cavanagh has work again, he's decent. Now DC have put up Constantine as well.

Marvel on the TV live-action front has Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. which had an awful first season, and episodes continue to be hit-and-miss, and I - personally - hate it whenever the actors mug to the camera every time they make a reference to a Marvel movie.

Best Characters? Well, it's hard to say, because the characters keep changing depending on who the writer is. Depends on who you're into. I prefer John Constantine (obviously) over Dr. Strange, simply because JC gets to interact with other characters of the DC-verse. It's not that I don't like Dr. Strange, it's that JC has better interactions. Now, is that better Character? Or does that fall under the heading of better stories? Either way. DC.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2014-10-29 at 11:16 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

DC all the way. I'll be the first to admit that I don't read either of the two in any real capacity, and most of my knowledge comes from tv and films, plus what I pick up from reading online discussions, but DC has always had more iconic characters, better names, better design, better animated series, more interesting characters, and Vertigo alone beats the tar out of anything I've seen from Marvel.
    The MCU is pretty good, even if CA and IM are carrying the weight of thoroughly mediocre GotG, Hulk and Thor movies. I still prefer Man of Steel.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Image has been absolutely fantastic lately.

My favorite is Vertigo, which is a DC imprint, so DC technically wins I guess. I prefer actual-Marvel to actual-DC, though.
    More or less my view as well. I'll admit I do prefer Marvel superheroes to DC superheroes and Marvel Studio movies have been made consistently at a higher quality than DC's mix of diamonds among crap, but superheroes are just one genre among many. In the same way Shounen Jump generally produces the highest profile and financially successful manga around... it's still just shounen manga in an incredibly diverse market.

Image is, even overlooking the outstanding quality of many of their comics, the best American comic book publisher around just in terms of their general philosophy and business practices. If Marvel and DC went bankrupt and disappeared tomorrow I really wouldn't care, all the artists and writers involved who are worth reading could (or do now, for that matter) work on their own story concepts and we wouldn't have these needlessly convoluted comic universes to lament about.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2014-10-30 at 08:39 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    I can't really think of too many Marvel iconic covers. I think a bunch of covers with Black Cat on them are stuck in my mind, because ten years ago I was a teenager while reading Spider-Man, and, well it was Black Cat, and I was a teenager.
    Amazing Fantasy #15 seems to be pretty iconic. The Dark Phoenix one also seems to be as well.

Ultimate Spider-Man is good, too.

26. - Top - End - #26

PirateGirl

Batman & Robin says hi.

I actually haven't seen Batman & Robin or the latest X-Men movie. But I thought The Avengers was about as bad as bad can get. Spider-Man 2 was pretty good, though. Iron Man was forgettable.

The adaptation of Watchmen was far from perfect, but it was probably about as good of one that can be expected. That's DC, isn't it? The Batman animated movie was a pretty good one. (Mask of the Phantasm, I think?)

From the movies I've seen, I still stand by my statement that DC movie adaptations tend to be better than Marvel ones. I have yet to see anything that can be compared to The Dark Knight on the Marvel side. Spider-Man 2 is probably their best so far. I would recommend The Dark Knight even to people who don't like superhero movies. That's how good it is.

I haven't seen any mention of the Justice League Unlimited show yet. I don't really watch or read much superhero stuff, as what I normally see is what people decide to show me, but I thought that was a pretty good one. Just thought I'd mention that.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

2000 AD or bust.

...and we come to the heart of the problem with topics like these. I vehemently disagree that there has only been one great DC movie. The two Tim Burton Batman movies are absolutely fantastic, much better than The Dark Knight, and even the 60's Batman movie was amazing. It was a low budget, cheesy as hell movie but it knew that and played with that to great effect. Likewise, Superman II is a truly great movie and Watchmen is apparently a DC movie as well. V for Vendetta and Constantine are from DC imprints and I love both those movies.

Similarly, I'd say Marvel has a lot more great movies than just those four.
    Last edited by Infernally Clay; 2014-10-30 at 10:47 AM.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Well the MCU movies aren't just adaptations of Marvel's comics but are in fact also made by Marvel.
    Let's be realistic, Disney and Time Warner have some impact on how their respective movies turn out.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Goblin

Do we have to do that? This whole Marvel vs DC feud is irritating and annoying. Okay, some people like Superman, some like Captain America. Whatever. With how two companies tend to rip off one and another it doesn't matter, becaue their verses become more and more homogenous with every year. They both did a lot of good things, they both did a lot of bad things. They both had books that were good and books that sucked. Whatever. Why are we caught in constant struggle between the fans over who has better teddy bear? Cannot we just enjoy the comics?

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    2000 AD or bust.
    ...and we come to the heart of the problem with topics like these. I vehemently disagree that there has only been one great DC movie. The two Tim Burton Batman movies are absolutely fantastic, much better than The Dark Knight, and even the 60's Batman movie was amazing. It was a low budget, cheesy as hell movie but it knew that and played with that to great effect. Likewise, Superman II is a truly great movie and Watchmen is apparently a DC movie as well. V for Vendetta and Constantine are from DC imprints and I love both those movies.

Similarly, I'd say Marvel has a lot more great movies than just those four.
    Let's compare.

Good movies:

Marvel

X-Men
    X2
    X-Men: First Class
    X-men: Days of Future Past
    Spider-Man
    Spider-Man 2
    The Amazing Spider-Man
    Iron Man
    Captain America
    The Avengers
    Iron Man 3
    Captain America 2
    Guardians of the Galaxy

DC

Superman
    Superman II
    Batman 1989
    Batman Returns (I hate this movie but it got good reviews)
    Batman Begins
    The Dark Knight
    The Dark Knight Rises (I also hate this movie)

Meh movies

Marvel

Hulk
    The Incredible Hulk
    Blade
    Blade II
    Daredevil
    X3
    The Wolverine
    Spider-Man 3
    Iron Man 2
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2
    Iron Man 2
    Thor
    Thor 2

DC

Batman 1966
    Batman Forever
    Watchmen
    Constantine
    Superman Returns
    Man of Steel

Bad Movies:

Marvel

Howard the Duck
    Fantastic Four
    Fantastic Four 2
    Blade III
    Elektra
    Punisher
    Punisher: War Zone
    Ghost Rider
    Ghost Rider 2
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine

DC

Superman III
    Superman IV
    Batman & Robin
    Steel
    Catwoman
    Jonah Hex
    Green Lantern

Marvel has 13 good movies, 13 meh movies, and 10 bad movies, DC has 7 good movies, 6 meh movies and 7 bad movies. They have about the same percentage of good movies (36%) but DC has a higher percent of bad movies.
    Last edited by Zmeoaice; 2014-10-30 at 11:47 AM.