New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: what prcs suck so much you could cram then and still be okay?

Stoneblessed tells the story of how you came to be so accepted by this group of people that you have become one of them in body and soul. To drop that down to a single level is, quite frankly, insulting to that kind of experience. So a guy just up and wanders into a tribe, a town, a city and becomes so accepted that he is one? The hell kind of story does that tell?
    I think you have it backwards. The prerequisites of the class require that you've already been accepted into the tribe/town/whatever. There is a whole story to be told before you ever enter the class. The class itself is merely the apotheosis that results from that story that was already told before you ever had the chance to consider qualifying.

Just like you can decide one day after leveling up you are now a Wizard, and gain all the features that come with that. Or you can spend the time roleplaying it out ahead of time in preparation, and work towards it in character so when it comes time to take that Wizard level, it doesn't seem to come out of nowhere. Note that you don't have to take a 3 level class that gives no meaningful benefits before you can take that first level in Wizard, you just get to do it.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: what prcs suck so much you could cram then and still be okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I think you have it backwards. The prerequisites of the class require that you've already been accepted into the tribe/town/whatever. There is a whole story to be told before you ever enter the class. The class itself is merely the apotheosis that results from that story that was already told before you ever had the chance to consider qualifying.
    There's a difference between being accepted into a group and becoming a member of that group in such a meaningful way. A better way to put it would be that its more like joining any form of organization that has any modicum of exclusivity. Sometimes you can get in easy enough sure. But to be invited to become a member of the inner circle is something else. And then there is the story of what has happened and changed between the invitation and the initiation.

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Just like you can decide one day after leveling up you are now a Wizard, and gain all the features that come with that. Or you can spend the time roleplaying it out ahead of time in preparation, and work towards it in character so when it comes time to take that Wizard level, it doesn't seem to come out of nowhere. Note that you don't have to take a 3 level class that gives no meaningful benefits before you can take that first level in Wizard, you just get to do it.
    There's a fundamental difference between the two. One is the end result, while the other is the first step in a long journey. The first step of anything can be taken lightly. The end result only comes about due to commitment.
    Last edited by torrasque666; 2014-10-31 at 01:31 AM.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!