New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: [IC] Souls of the Forged

"Let us at least think a bit, before rushing in" Dardail responds with a weary voice as he hurries to Anathal and Teyas side. "Anathal and I can see without the aid of light, and we are more heavily armored than most of you. We should go in front, with the rest of you a few feet behind, carrying torches"
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2014-11-09 at 10:20 AM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anathal

Anathal sighs again and looks at Dardail without stopping. "Teya is a big girl ... figuratively speaking ... and I am sure can deal with being attacked. I am sure if she gets to the point where she can't see she will do something to deal with it."
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"And surely that is what the mercenaries thought as well!" Dardail snaps. He then blanches at his own tone and continues "What I meant was, the others are going to need torches to see. that is a fact. and you and I will be more use up front, where we can see, and avoid being seen instantly in the light. I did not mean to belittle anyone. I simply wish for us to find the cause of these troubles without any of us coming to undue harm."
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2014-11-09 at 12:51 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Over objections, Teya and Anathal head into the cave, the others following cautiously behind. You round the corner of the cave mouth to see two goblins, spears resting in easy reach, leaning against the far wall, each one next to a tunnel entrance. They look up, shocked to see a group of people walking brazenly in, then with a start, both bolt down their tunnels. Oops. Looks like there were guards. Now the smell of an old campfire is obvious, the smokey interior of the cave telling of habitation that you could not sense from outside. All that's left now is to decide which tunnel to take. The map claims you are in the right place, and the presence of guards likely reinforces that claim. Two tunnels, but which to choose?

Spoiler: Knowledge
    Show

You can make knowledge or perception checks to learn more about the tunnels
    Highly relevant: Nature/Dungeoneering

Marcus Caius, Astropath Trancendent by TheArchitect

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Damn. We're on their homeground, and just lost the element of surprise. This could turn ugly, quick" Dardail curses.
    Looking down the tunnels, He frowns in displeasure. "Little buggers probably have every inch of the place trapped as well... Damn. I hate goblins!" Realising that he is losing his temper, Dardail takes a deep breath and mutters a prayer. He then turns to the others, obviously strugglings to keep his displeasure at the situation curbed.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception to spot anything interesting about the tunnels
    (1d20+3)[17]

6. - Top - End - #156

Anathal

Anathal's smile diminishes. "Who is good at spotting traps? I have never been any good at that sort of thing. If not we just stick together and move carefully."
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Colossus in the Playground

Teya squinted as she looked deeper into the tunnel. "Two paths, and a goblin went down each one..." She rubbed her chin in thought and cautiously started heading toward the two tunnels at the end. "You don't think the goblins are what got the research team and the mercenaries, do you?"

Show

Perception: (1d20+6)[25]
    Knowledge - Dungeoneering: (1d20+6)[21]

8. - Top - End - #158

Anathal

Anathal thinks for a moment. "It could have been the goblins. I know nothing about the mercenaries or how many goblins there are. For all we know they could have died from a cave in or traps." He shrugs. "I suggest we don't worry about it and just proceed."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

The tunnels sit ominously silent, the goblins having scampered away quickly, their small stature and knowledge of the tunnels giving them an advantage in speed.

Teya looks down both of the tunnels. On the right, there are small holes throughout the tunnel. Teya's knowledge of dungeons tells her that the holes have nothing to do with traps, but beyond that she cannot tell. She also notices that in the left tunnel the soil appears to have been turned and disturbed, as if someone had placed things within it. It was disguised well, but she noticed the oddity nonetheless.

Dardail notices the holes on the right throughout the tunnel, though cannot glean much about their purpose. He notices nothing odd about the left.

OOC: remember that your IC knowledge extends only to what you have been told you know.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Valus stays towards the front of the group, his sword drawn. "Goblins, huh? We'll see what they can do. Don't worry, Dardail, I'm sure that we'll be able to deal with this complication without too much issue."
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

11. - Top - End - #161

Anathal

Anathal grins again. "Just keep in mind that Goblins are crazy. Don't try to hard to think what they will do ... they won't."

Anathal beings to head towards the left tunnel with his sword in hand.
    Last edited by Smileybastard; 2014-11-09 at 09:29 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162

Teya laid her hand on some of the holes in the wall. "Well, I know one thing... these aren't traps. Not sure what they are, though."

When she noticed Anathal heading toward the left tunnel, she stopped him. "Wait a sec. Look at the ground..." She pointed at the disturbed patches of soil in the tunnel. "They buried something here. Probably something you don't want to step on..." After a moment she headed out of the cavern and started searching around for a stick or branch that had either fallen to the ground or was in easy reach.

Show

Perception to find a stick of decent length, maybe 4-5 feet long: (1d20+6)[16]

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

The cave yields little for Teya to use, but the trees outside are bountiful enough. She finds the stick she requires with only a small delay.

14. - Top - End - #164

Spoiler: Knowledge, in Advance
    Show
    Knowledge (dungeoneering): (1d20+7)[10]
    Perception (Jacinius): (1d20+4)[9]
    Perception (Eidolon): (1d20+4)[9]

"Abrogail's bloody panties," Jacinius swears as the goblins scuttle off. No doubt they were going to tell some friends about them and prepare a welcoming party. His eidolon stays by his side, though it is now on alert. He stays back as Teya examines an area with a stick, trying to keep an eye out.

15. - Top - End - #165

Teya returned with the branch and started pushing it into the dirt in the left tunnel. "Let's see what the little bastards left for us..."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

There is a faint click, and 3 darts embed themselves in the stick. Clearly this tunnel has some surprises in store.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Dardail looks at the darts with displeasure. "This is going to be tough. With traps like that, and the goblins on alert, this place is a killing ground. We are well out of our depth here. We need some sort of plan, or we will be easy pickings down there"

18. - Top - End - #168

"Hmm..." Teya pulled the darts out of the stick and looks further down the hallway. Three dart traps within seconds of searching the first few feet of the tunnel... "I think we might want to leave this path be for now. The other tunnel looked clear as far as I could tell."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

"I agree," Valus says. "I'd rather face the goblins head on than deal with their trickery."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

The other tunnel was wide enough for you to get through with only the tallest of you bowing your heads. The small holes that Teya pointed out continue down the length of the tunnel. At the end, the tunnel itself ends abruptly in a massive cavern. It is pitch black, and even the tieflings with their night sight can only see a brief distance into the cavern. It is massively empty. Of the goblin scout, there is no sign.

What do you do?

Spoiler: DC20 Perception
    Show
    You can smell blood. It is coming from above you.

21. - Top - End - #171

Teya knelt and pulled one of the sunrods from her backpack when they reached the end of the smaller tunnel. As it lit up she looked around, hoping to find a sign of something other than blackness. "Can you guys see anything? Cuz I can't."

While she looked, a familiar smell came to her. "Does anyone else smell... blood?" She held the sunrod higher and looked up.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(1d20+6)[21]
    Last edited by Diachronos; 2014-11-11 at 07:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Gripping his sword and shield a bit harder, Dardail steps sideways, so that anything that may come out of the dark will have to go through him to get to the others. They may not need protection, but that won't stop him from giving it.
    If only I could see a bit clearer... he thinks. Then an idea flies through his head. Perhaps the shine of the soul can show me something.

"Blood?" Dardail sniffs the air testingly, then shakes his head. "No, I do not sense anything other than the musty smell of the Cave itself"

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Detect evil. No idea if it'll show anything, but hey, its free to try
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2014-11-11 at 08:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173

Anathal

Anathal sniffs the air. "It is a big empty cavern. Its too big for me to see it all."

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Perception (1d20+1)[5]

24. - Top - End - #174

Jacinius sniffs in response to Teya's observation. Sure enough, the faint smell of blood comes to his nostrils.

"Yeah, I smell it," he says quietly. "Not a good sign."

Wanting to literally shed some light on the situation, Jacinius picks up a rock from the floor, mutters briefly while passing a hand over it, and tosses the now glowing rock into the cavern.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Casting Light on a rock.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Valus peers into the darkness.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+5)[18]

He readies his sword. "I have a feeling things could get interesting soon."
    Last edited by Maquise; 2014-11-11 at 11:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

As the stone skitters across the floor, light blooms in the cavern. The sense from the darkness before was revealed true, the cave itself is massive, and even the light from the stone and the sunrod does not reach the far wall. However, it does provoke a response from whatever was dwelling in the cavern.

Two spiders, massive in size, easily twice as large as a man, drop hissing from the ceiling. And the source of the smell of blood becomes abundantly clear. Looks like the goblin scout ran afoul of these. Even at the same time, the faint sounds of movement can be heard around you within the tunnel. Something is moving inside the walls.

You are still stuck in the tunnel.

Spoiler
    Show
    roll initiative please

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Light preserve us" Dardail breathes as he takes in the sight of the enomous spiders. He flexes his finger on his swordhilt, then exclaims in a steady voice "Stand fast, friends. By the grace of the light, we will not be overcome!"

Spoiler: initiative
    Show
    (1d20+2)[20]

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Valus feels the call of battle come over him. "These beasts will taste my steel!"

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    (1d20+1)[14]

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Promises of bravery and death seem to matter little to the massive beasts as they quickly charge the group. Valus and Dardail, as the two who spoke, are the two the creatures focus on, each attempting to bit down on one of the heroes with fangs that dripped with venom.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show

Spider 1 (Dardail)
    Attack: (1d20+3)[11]
    Damage: (1d6)[3]
    If hit then DC14 fort save to resist poison, otherwise (1d2)[1] STR damage 1 per round for 4 rounds (1 Save Ends)

Spider 2 (Valus)
    Attack: (1d20+3)[14]
    Damage: (1d6)[4]
    If hit then DC14 fort save to resist poison, otherwise (1d2)[2] STR damage 1 per round for 4 rounds (1 Save Ends)

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Valus's blood runs red-hot as the creature attempts to bite him! The power of his blood overtakes him, and he brings down his sword in a mighty swing! Those who look upon him would note that his skin has taken on a reddish hue, and his eyes are now slitted orange.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Free Action: Enter Bloodrage
    Power Attack Spider
    Attack:(1d20+6)[7]
    Damage:(2d6+9)[16]