New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Monsters to use in a Null Magic Zone

So I have an upcoming adventure that takes place for my players in a null magic zone. It'll be mostly traversing mountainous terrain with some encounters along the way, but I was wondering what sorts of monsters to use. I want to have some interesting fights, as it's a pretty unique scenario, but it's hard for me to think of many completely mundane enemies that would be a fair fight in such a state. Only one of the characters has access to mundane flight, and she carries around a very large sniper rifle (long story) that she could use to pick off flying enemies, so I don't want enemies that exclusively use flying, because nobody else has any ranged options, so it would be pretty boring for everyone else.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Monsters to use in a Null Magic Zone

Depends on how creative you want to go.

Could be a tribe of goblins/kobolds who have used this tactic of laying down an antimagic field, and using their masterwork/mithril/adamantine/other alternate material weapons and armor to cut down adventurers and sell their gear.

Or maybe a tribe of trolls just happened to find a naturally occuring antimagic field near then den and utilize it to capture prey realizing that sometimes those squishy types with the pointy sticks suddenly cant do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Do you mean "attractive women, or spiders", or "attractive women, or attractive spiders"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    I too object to the unspecified way the imaginary, timeless, supposedly unkillable monster in the imaginary world of magic and elves and dragons aquired its martial training. Clearly that doesn't make SENSE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brova View Post
    Because if you are in a position to break the Wizard's spell component pouch and stop him from casting spells, you are also in a position to stab him in the kidneys and stop him from being alive.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Why not use some giants?

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Why not use some giants?
    Giants or a group of Ogres with class levels. Big creatures are scary when you don't have access to Enlarge Person or your Strength-enhancing buff spells.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

5. - Top - End - #5

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Giants or a group of Ogres with class levels. Big creatures are scary when you don't have access to Enlarge Person or your Strength-enhancing buff spells.
    And giants are pretty known to be around mountains and throw rocks at people. Entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, trolls are an interesting idea, no magical fire/acid, and the players dont carry around trollbane.

Giants with class levels could be interesting, although i'd worry about overwhelming the players, since no magic does level their playing field quite a bit.

The nearby area is tainted too, so i could either slap on tainted minion/raver templates, or use the giants from heros of horror.

Also, for clarification, it's a naturally occuring null magic zone, in quite a large area. Think approaching the spire in outlands.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.

Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

Oozes are pretty deadly in null magic because they can (a) eat the players' now-mundane weapons and (b) they will split if the players use the wrong kind of damage and a bad fight will quickly get worse. Constructs like golems are also deadly because their DR will matter more and their immunities will limit the effectiveness of mundane special attacks like poison or alchemy.

Swarms are a good way to TPK a mundane party.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I second trolls, because without magic that regeneration is a pain in the ass to get past. Fireball? Nope, not a chance. Acid Arrow? Can't. Maybe a flaming/corrosive burst weapon would work, but only maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

9. - Top - End - #9

Note that regeneration works very differently in PF vs. 3.5, so be aware of the system you're using.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

What level range are you talking about?

Also, do you have any full casters in the party? Just wondering.
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Moon View Post
    How many times, when the Fighter says "I draw my sword", did you just want to smack that cheating-optimizer in the face and say "No! You don't draw your sword! You draw Orcus!". When the Cleric says "I run away from Orcus!": "No! You run into Orcus! Rogue tries to hide? He hides behind Orcus! The bard in a tavern on the other side the town tries to order a drink? How about a nice frothy mug of Orcus?
    The clone Rudisplorker, doppelganger of Threadnaught.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Note that regeneration works very differently in PF vs. 3.5, so be aware of the system you're using.
    I'm using 3.5, and i know how it works, at least in this edition. I haven't played much pf, though i do use a few things from it, such as spellslinger (which one of my players is) and summoner (which a few NPCS are) along with words of power (which most full arcane and nature based divine casters are)

Quote Originally Posted by kellbyb View Post
    What level range are you talking about?

Also, do you have any full casters in the party? Just wondering.
    This is a good point, the current level range is about level 13ish, however I'm using a homebrew variant rule which allows players to gestalt a few things, including LA, for an xp cost, so one of the players has +6LA and another will have +3 by the time they get to this point. The other two characters instead opted to do other things with their XP. Notably either item crafting, or one of the characters actually did some ritual stuff (mostly homebrew) to build themselves an ice assassin, which they use instead of actually going out and adventuring, while they stay home and be a family man.

As you can probably tell, i run a rather high powered game, but i'm a strong advocate for the horizontal power gain, rather than the vertical power gain, more versatility, rather than straight up more power. Sure the templates give them better stats to a degree, but so far, it hasn't really made my encounters any more or less challenging.

As for full casters, two of the characters are full casters, one using a snow variant of the sandshaper (think elsa or jack frost) the other is using a homebrew class that's kinda like a wizard/sorcerer/wordcaster hybrid that runs off both int and cha, has unlimited spells known (though they need to find every single one manually, and get no free spells at levelup) and can spontaneously cast any of them. That last character is also the one running the spellslinger character, and she spent a long time researching and testing out various gun designs using an item of fabricate that she made. Eventually I let her use guns from d20 modern, and she's using some explosive ammo on an anti-material rifle (no, not anti-matter) for 6d8 damage per shot, using her two familiars with readied actions to get around the full round action to reload each shot.

So I think, at the very least, the spellslinger will be fine, she actually made that rifle for this very trip and is the only one with a mundane flight option. The snowshaper will probably just opt out (I typically run opt-in, opt-out adventures, not everyone partakes in every adventure), so that leaves the two martial initiators. A full swordsage with some desert wind maneuvers which he will just not ready, and a warblade/psion/jade phoenix mage psionic adaption who this whole adventure is for, so he's coming regardless.
    Last edited by Crake; 2014-10-31 at 06:08 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    I'm using 3.5, and i know how it works, at least in this edition. I haven't played much pf, though i do use a few things from it, such as spellslinger (which one of my players is) and summoner (which a few NPCS are) along with words of power (which most full arcane and nature based divine casters are)
    The thread wasn't tagged so I didn't want to assume. Note that the 3.5 version of regen may impact your summoner(s).
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The thread wasn't tagged so I didn't want to assume. Note that the 3.5 version of regen may impact your summoner(s).
    For the most part, it hasn't come up at all, so no need to worry. I'll look into it for future proofing though, just in case.

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

One curious thing about non-magic is that it can take away certain kinds of DR. DR 5/silver is, I think, an extraordinary ability, but DR 5/good is a supernatural ability that can go away with antimagic.

So, there are some obscure situations where losing magic actually makes the DR of some monsters stronger (something that I found in an issue of Dragon.) Like, if a creature has DR 10/Adamantium Or Good, an antimagic field makes that DR 10/Adamantium, which is subtly more powerful.

A player would almost certainly not notice this feature, but it could give some monsters an extra pinch of protection.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Afgncaap5 View Post
    One curious thing about non-magic is that it can take away certain kinds of DR. DR 5/silver is, I think, an extraordinary ability, but DR 5/good is a supernatural ability that can go away with antimagic.

So, there are some obscure situations where losing magic actually makes the DR of some monsters stronger (something that I found in an issue of Dragon.) Like, if a creature has DR 10/Adamantium Or Good, an antimagic field makes that DR 10/Adamantium, which is subtly more powerful.

A player would almost certainly not notice this feature, but it could give some monsters an extra pinch of protection.
    I'm actually very aware of how DR and antimagic work, and it actually works the opposite of that. DR SU or EX (so in your example, adamantine or good) is completely negated. It's DR SU and EX that simply becomes DR EX, which is still easier to overcome.

For reference, material based and damage type based DR is mundane, and alignment/magic/epic type DR is supernatural. If they are combined with "or" and one of them is supernatural, the whole thing goes away. If they are combined with "and" only the supernatural requirement goes, so a null magic field never actually makes it harder to overcome.

16. - Top - End - #16

BardGuy

I'm actually very aware of how DR and antimagic work, and it actually works the opposite of that. DR SU or EX (so in your example, adamantine or good) is completely negated. It's DR SU and EX that simply becomes DR EX, which is still easier to overcome.

For reference, material based and damage type based DR is mundane, and alignment/magic/epic type DR is supernatural. If they are combined with "or" and one of them is supernatural, the whole thing goes away. If they are combined with "and" only the supernatural requirement goes, so a null magic field never actually makes it harder to overcome.
    I may be mistaken about something, then. The Sage Advice column in Dragon 330 says that only one component goes away (the supernatural one.) Did they later issue a retraction of that, or an update?
    Last edited by Afgncaap5; 2014-10-31 at 11:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I may be mistaken about something, then. The Sage Advice column in Dragon 330 says that only one component goes away (the supernatural one.) Did they later issue a retraction of that, or an update?
    I can't quite remember exactly where I read it, but it makes sense when you think about it. Think of it as the antimagic field nullifying the need for that kind of attribute. If you nullify the need for good on DR/good and silver, you still need silver to bypass it, but if you nullify the need for good in DR/good or silver, then you dont need the silver anymore, since the good has been overcome.

Edit: Ok, it seems the source i was thinking of was the 3.5 FAQ, and, having re-read it, it seems that you are actually correct, DR/silver or good does become DR/silver in an AMF. I will continue to use my houserule though, as I think it makes more sense.
    Last edited by Crake; 2014-11-01 at 12:18 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

BardGuy

I can't quite remember exactly where I read it, but it makes sense when you think about it. Think of it as the antimagic field nullifying the need for that kind of attribute. If you nullify the need for good on DR/good and silver, you still need silver to bypass it, but if you nullify the need for good in DR/good or silver, then you dont need the silver anymore, since the good has been overcome.

Edit: Ok, it seems the source i was thinking of was the 3.5 FAQ, and, having re-read it, it seems that you are actually correct, DR/silver or good does become DR/silver in an AMF. I will continue to use my houserule though, as I think it makes more sense.
    Sounds good. And, really, they should probably differentiate it as two different things. DR 5/magic or DR 5/bludgeoning instead of DR 5/magic or bludgeoning. Especially if the reasoning for the two is different.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds good. And, really, they should probably differentiate it as two different things. DR 5/magic or DR 5/bludgeoning instead of DR 5/magic or bludgeoning. Especially if the reasoning for the two is different.
    Yeah, the way I see it, having DR/good and silver is the same as having DR/good and DR/silver separately, with DR/good being Su, and DR/silver being Ex, but DR/good or silver can't be split up like that, so I'd imagine that it needs to be all Su, and thus all go away in an AMF. But apparently that's a house rule, one I'm perfectly happy to admit to using.

Anyway, back on topic, monsters!

Oozes are quite devious for this, but I think my players would hate me for that, since they've already lost gear (or at least one of them has) to creatures like that (most notably a delver that ate the warblade's weapons and clothing, and caryatid columns that sundered his old axe. Oh, and an earth elemental that almost sundered his bastard sword. Yeah, poor guy, he's been through a lot)

Constructs on the other hand... I'd be tempted to say that they cease to function in this particular AMF, since it's not a spell effect, but an environmental one, where all magic ceases to function at all, so constructs powered by magic wouldn't be able to function.

So from the looks of things, giants and trolls are the way to go right now.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

A team of archer thieves all level 12. Each has a spy glass and a mirror used to signal along with some mutually agreed upon bird noises. Replace any of these dudes with some sort of alchemist.

Archer 1: scout5/highland stalker 7
    Archer 2: ranger 5/darkwood stalker 7
    Archer 3: fighter 2/warblade 6/peerless archer4
    Archer 4: warblade5/bloodstorm blade5/cragtop archer5
    "Archer" 5: Marshal9/combat trapsmith 3
    Lastly: "Archer" 6: Someone who uses bolas, tanglefoot bags, & harpoons.

Thing is, these guys get rich robbing people in the anti magic field but can't use any of the magic gear.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Thing is, these guys get rich robbing people in the anti magic field but can't use any of the magic gear.
    They also wouldn't be able to tell which items were magical. So they'd have to collect every random belt, trinket, and shirt just in case it gives its wearer +5 to saving throws.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

22. - Top - End - #22

BardGuy

How about swarms? Without the Area of Effect capabilities of magic or usefulness of Air-based magic, swarms become that much more challenging.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hordes of weaker undead creatures would do the trick, too.

Without magic, being outnumbered by even weak monsters could be horrific. Imagine your fighter being flanked by 8 ghouls, each attacks twice with +2 or more flank bonus, and each hit requires a fort check to avoid paralyse. And they are hell quick. No magic to take them instantly out, and no magic to heal your paralysing condition or disease and so on.

For a group without a competent fighter, even like 10 or 15 normal ghouls can send them running whole night. (Assuming their ACs are not high enough anyway.) If your group level is higher, you can use ghasts or a vampire surrounded by its spawns instead.
    Elementals and magic beasts can be as horrible, and so do monsters with improved grapple attacks (like assassin vine?).

EDIT: My miss, energy drain is usually supernatural ability, so are most undead diseases.
    Last edited by Astralia123; 2014-11-01 at 02:16 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Something important to remember here: The circumstances (not just the monsters) are almost certainly going to be against the party here. Thus a CR 5 encounter becomes that much more difficult and perhaps is bumped several CR higher. It is not advisable to treat a CR equivalent encounter as the same difficulty when the circumstances start out against the party.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Note if monsters become too challenging, the party has no choices but to retreat.

26. - Top - End - #26

EvilClericGuy

Assuming retreat is possible which it probably won't be since they don't have mundane flight.