New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Old World of Darkness Growth Tables?

I was wondering if there is a comparison table of all the "growth" tables for the Old World of Darkness Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Demon and the others. If not, can someone enlighten me?

When I say "Growth table" I mean, as a vampire example, all the stages of the evolution cycle - AKA age, from fledgling to - potentially - antediluvian.

that is, if the other rulebooks have something similar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Old World of Darkness Growth Tables?

Could you clarify what you mean?
    Do you mean a set of tables, one per supernatural, each with the relevant changes as their 'power stat' changes? That is, how a lower-or-higher gen vampires are compared to each other, and how a Mage changes as they gain Arete?
    If this, I've never seen one with them all side-by-side, but each supernatural's core book probably has a chart like this.

Or do you mean a table that compares the relative power growth between mages, vampires, demons, etc. Like, for example, how Arete 6 mages compare to Generation 6 vampires? Or one that poses what 'rank' of vampires an archmaster mage is equal to, for example?

I'm a bit confused because, with vampires, some things are determined by age (fledgling, elder, etc., their social rank based on age and other factors) while an Antedeluvian is a vampire of the 4th-generation. Technically it's related to age as all of them are 'before the Flood', but the reason they are so powerful is more their Generation than their age.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I meant a side-by-side age comparison chart :P
    but I realize now that only the vampires are immortal and yet age, the others are either mortal or ageless (demons).
    Power levels would be nice, but I was more interested in the age :P

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem View Post
    I was wondering if there is a comparison table of all the "growth" tables for the Old World of Darkness Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Demon and the others. If not, can someone enlighten me?

When I say "Growth table" I mean, as a vampire example, all the stages of the evolution cycle - AKA age, from fledgling to - potentially - antediluvian.

that is, if the other rulebooks have something similar.
    Not really.

There are stages, but it varies as to what they mean. Vampires don't tend to grow... the only way to be become an "Antedeluvian" in game is to diablerize your way up the mountain (gaining a generation at a time until you're a 4th generation diablerizing a 3rd)... and even that doesn't put you on the same level as people who've been there for millenia.

In werewolf, you might progress up the ranks, but that's achievement-based... get Glory, Honor, and Wisdom enough to be recognized as a greater rank. It's not tied to age... you could have a 15 year old who's 5th rank... but it tends to go along with it, since you have to have time to do all the stuff that gets you Glory, Honor, and Wisdom (not to mention 15 year olds aren't noted for their wisdom. )

In Mage, again, it's achievement-based. Do you have 4 dots in a sphere? You are an Adept. Do you have 5 dots in a Sphere? You are a Master.

There's not really a direct comparison in the rank charts, because they tend to measure entirely different things. Vampire measures a fairly static number of "How many people are between you and Cain?". Werewolf, "How well-respected are you by your community?" Mage, "How much have you learned to **** with reality?" (I'm not familiar enough with Wraith, Changeling, or the others to comment; I think Changelings ranks tend to be granted by higher authorities, but I'm not sure).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nevertheless, if you want, I'd like to know those ranks with a short description of they are achived. precedence do mages\demons if possible, as I know those systems much less than the Masquerade.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Weresharks are ageless but use Ranks. Surviving a long time can get Harmony Renown and lead to enough to get higher Rank, but age alone won't bring power. Similarly, Mokole can suspend the aging process or use some Gifts and Rites to turn back their age, and can use this time to brave Mnesis, but ultimately, their advance in society is still described by Renown and Rank. Truly old Mokole are often addressed as being an "Ancient", however.