New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kingmaker

1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Kingmaker

"It does not sound like you regret being a bandit. Would you return to that life if you could do so profitably? For example if a new bandit lord surpassed Kressle?" Jason says after the bandit does or doesn't respond to Loyina.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I do not think of it as loyalty to anyone. It's just work. Are any of you loyal to each other?
    A man doesn't realize how risky the bandit's line of work is until his boss gets slain and he himself gets captured...
    Look, I never killed anyone in my entire life. I'm not a bad rotten fellow. I just try and make the best out of a bad situation. Going back to Restov wasn't an option, and out here, my best bet was to embrace security in numbers...I'm not proud of stealing from this here tradepost, but then again I wouldn't be proud to be starving, neither..."

He then turns to Jason

"There's nothing to regret, really... do you regret killing Bydon? I just did what I had to do to survive, I did.
    No, I would not go back to banditry, now that I know that expert combatant fellows like yourselves are coming to enforce the place. I'd rather be working with you, if that keeps me out of trouble.

And I told you, I believe there's a far more dangerous bandit lord behind Kressle, though I never saw him myself. Either way, I don't wanna risk my life on some badass unknown man when he clashes against the Swordlords, now that they have sent their "special forces"..."

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Jason draws the others away from the man, a grim look on his face. "I think we've heard enough for now. We will be back Will."

His face takes on a sad expression as he looks to the others. "Sadly I don't think there is much repentance there. A really strict society might have managed to keep the man in line, but as things is, I feel like he would slip back into unlawfulness easily if we did let him go. The charter is pretty clear though, no repentance means hanging or beheading. Not a pretty task. Still, before we take any too hasty decisions, let's talk to the two others."

Pretty much the same conversation happen with the next guy. Will's story checks out about the details of the bandit camp. The guy seems just as willing to jump ship as Will, though he doesn't regret his choices either.

His sad expression back on, "My opinion of him is the same as for Will." Jason says to the others once they are alone again.

The last man seem sad and frightened. Jason has a harsh expression after basically voting for two men to die already, this is not common for him. "Who are you?" He says with steel in his voice. "I... am Angus... Sir." The man utters between sobs. "Who was the man leading you?" "Happs Bydon... Second-in-command back at Thorn Ford..." The man tries to stabilize himself. "What do you think about banditry?" "I hate it... I just want to get away. Let me go my family please..." "Why did you get into it in the first place?" "They would kill me! I am sure... I had no choice.." Sobs breaks up the mans word. Jason can't keep his harsh mask either and his face softens. "Do you swear to never do anything unlawful again?" "Yes! yes! Just let me get back to my family... I am sure things will work out" The rest of the information about the camp pretty much matches the two others.

Later when he are with the others Jason says. I think the last one actually regret what he has done. I think it is safe to save him, who knows, he might turn out to be a useful fellow still. The two others though... He looks around at the others. "What do the rest of you think?"

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Unfortunately, I have to say that Will would be much more useful than Angus. But yes, we do have to kill him to fulfill our charter. We could always use him and then kill him, but that seems like the sort of thing no one else here will agree with. Similarly, while I have no moral qualms with the executions, I doubt I could make their deaths quick, so it could be much better to have someone else do it. Though I do have an idea, assuming we can find a big enough sword..." She goes off into her own head for a moment.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Conrad

Conrad regrettably speaks up, "I trust your judgement Jason, and if we're all in agreement then I can be the one to carry out the two executions if need be."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nialis

"I agree and I am fine with Conrad carrying out the executions."
    Last edited by Smileybastard; 2014-11-11 at 07:18 PM.
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

7. - Top - End - #157

"It's a shame we can't extend Oleg and Svetlana the honour. At least, I don't think they have that authority, I'm hazy on that point. Anyway--this morning's business is about wrapped up. I'm off to assist with the inventory." Loyina bows, then excuses herself to go count beans, whistling along the way.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Conrad

"Well ok then it's been decided." Conrad says as he gets up and goes to retrieve the condemned. Conrad then takes the two men one at a time and puts a sack over their heads before leading them behind the trading post near the grave of their former leader. Conrad has them kneel down, he says one last prayer for them and cuts their head from their body in one clean cut. Once both deeds are done he digs them each a grave.

9. - Top - End - #159

"Well then what an exciting morning, If you don't mind I will be up in the tower now if anyone wishes to speak to me."
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    All By emperor Ing

10. - Top - End - #160

It is done. You are free to stay at the tradepost, eat and rest for free. You also need to decide where to go next.

GREENBELT

Spoiler: WANTED POSTERS
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161

Loyina brings up the subject at the party's next dinnertime conversation. In my opinion, it would be best to take down the remaining bandits under Kressle, before we venture too far. ...Besides, I would like to purchase some writing supplies to take notes, but at the moment, there are none for sale."

When the party divides up the loot they found, Loyina offers the composite longbow and arrows to Lavinia, and stows the alchemist's fire with her pack animal if there's no objections. She also analyzes the amulet as soon as she's spotted it, thanks to her eye for magic. Granted, she's not that good at it, so this could take a while. She's hanging on to it in the meantime. (Spellcraft: (1d20+1)[2])

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Wait Lavinia! Jason calls out. "We need to decide what to do next. I don't think it is a good idea to wait here until Kressle hears of this."

He tries to gather everyone together at the table where Loyina takes the word. He replies "I agree about going after Kressle. They might come again with a bigger and better prepeared force. But we might be able to catch them by surprise by comming to them first. As for writing supplies, I have some parchment you can use." He smiles at the drow "What were you going to write?"

To examine the gear Jason will cast detect magic, not knowing that Loyina is constantly doing the same.

Spellcraft: (1d20+3)[19]

At an opportune moment he will draw Loyina away for a private chat. Maybe in relation to the writing supplies or the amulet:

Spoiler: private
    Show

With a concerned look on his face Jason says: "I kind of like this group. Seems like we have a diverse set of skills and abilities which could come in handy in a wide variety of situations. However we also do have quite different perspective on things. This morning you and Nialis got into quite a fight over what I think was a misunderstanding. He thought you ment to slaughter all the bandits showing no mercy. Then he could not toying with words when you continued the argument. The conflict could have been avoided entierly if you had been a bit more direct with your words. I like you and I want to continue working together. Your perspective on how we can minimize losses on our side is refreshing. However I belive we might be able to function even better if we adapt to each other's perspectives. So, what do you say? Do I not have a clue or is there some merit to what I am saying?" Jason's expression is soft as his words as he conveys them carefully to the drow.

13. - Top - End - #163

Nialis

"I do think we should take the fight to them. I doubt they will do anything for a few days as they won't know what happened here."
    Last edited by Smileybastard; 2014-11-12 at 11:00 PM.
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

14. - Top - End - #164

"Notes," answered Loyina simply. It took her a few moments to relent and elaborate. "A record of locations, landmarks, events, personalities, and other things of..." She pauses for several seconds before finishing, as if it were the death of poetry. "Note. We will have to report to the Swordlords eventually (assuming we survive), so this would help ensure we don't struggle with details. There's not much more embarrassing than going before the Swordlords to announce--" She stands up and salutes with a flourish, then speaks as though making a formal announcement before a great court in a deep, booming voice. "The Greenbelt had stuff and things, but we did stuff to it and now it's got junk." She clears her throat and grins, simply sitting down rather than take a full bow.

Spoiler: To Jason
    Show
    Loyina sighs, with some annoyance, and puts one hand on her hip, shaking her head at Jason. "I made it clear to him that we would give quarter, going into some detail about how we would care for the wounded and the dying, and capture those who cowered rather than fled. So if he did get the impression I thought we should offer no quarter, it would seem the 'adaptation' he needs is a cure for deafness.

"I don't think what he heard or didn't hear is the matter, though. I think the 'bandit' in him never left, and he still seeks to lead this group the way that a bandit would: with bullying and coercion. It's habitual, he even does it when it serves no practical purpose. And he's a zealot to his cause. I can restrain myself, if I must to appease the fool, but what I'd be restraining is wisdom and intelligence."
    She doesn't seem to be joking, or even boasting. She seems to consider it a serious matter of fact.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Conrad

"I agree with Nialis, I think we should explore around the trading post for the next few days." Conrad adds.

16. - Top - End - #166

Nialis

"I mean to head straight to the location given by the captives, scout and attack there."

17. - Top - End - #167

Loyina regards Conrad and Nialis with a split-faced grin while they talk. After a moment, she waves a hand over it to make it disappear, as if by sleight of hand, so that she might remain seemingly silent and serious.
    Last edited by Navian; 2014-11-12 at 11:40 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Jason shakes his head at Conrads comment. "Scouting around here sounds like an invitation for the bandits to figure out what happened and come here to rob again and ambush us when we come back. I do not like that idea at all. The bandits will wonder what happened with their men here. As I said I think we should head for them first. I am glad that Nialis agrees with me. I think we should make haste there. If we wait, we just give them more time to prepeare and wonder about what happened here. To me the question remains what way to take. We can go through the forest which is slightly slower, or around and come by the river. The river entrance might be more obvious, but it might be easy to get lost in the forest, but following the edge of the forest then the river will be easy. I am not a great tracker so I say that we go south and east then head along the forest until we find the river and then head up to the bandit camp. Are any of you good at tracking through the forest? If so, will we even gain anything by taking the more arduous route?" He looks at the others to get their opinion. Seeing that two of the others already agrees with his idea he figures it is a forgone conclusion to do it and just want to find the best way to go about it.

Spoiler: To Loyina
    Show

Jason's face turns serious in return, though his voice is still soft as he tries to explain. "I've seen plenty of men lose all sense of reason once they get angry. Obviously Nialis is the kind who can lose his head. By the time you got around to explain what you meant, he had already lost all sense of reason. I am not sure I would want such a man to lead us, even if he did not have a past as a bandit. It might lead to some rash decisions. As for him still being a bandit, he seemed earnest enough in the fight earlier. I think we can take advantage of his skills. I will not agree to let decisions be made through bullying, however last time we did have the same plan in mind and we did discuss it the night before. Give him some time, some clear words and not too much mocking, and you might even come to tolerate being around him. As for restraining your wisdom and intelligence, if you feel like there is something unsaid, you can always tell me privately, like with that spell you used earlier. I will have an ear for you." He tries a disarmingly smile to make the mood of the situation lighter. "Now if you don't mind I would love to hear more about you. Some change of heart can be good. What caused you to join this expedition? You don't seem have come from a poor background."

19. - Top - End - #169

Taking in what everyone is saying Lavinia finally decides to speak her mind. "Now that their friends are never coming back the bandits WILL wonder what happened. They will probably send some one here to figure out if there men made it here. We need to be near by for when that happens. If it does we either take them out or send them packing, the leaders will get the idea that Oleg is protect if we keep killing his or her men. That is when we should leave here. When they think they can't fight us we go to them and take them out."
    Show
    All By emperor Ing

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Jason looks incredulously at Lavinia and throws out a question and an argument. "So you would rather have them know and prepared than to take them unaware? It hasn't even passed an hour since we dealt with them. If we head out now, we can arrive at the bandit camp before they can get worried and send more men here. Will did mention that there was someone behind Kressle. They might even send for more help than what is already there. We have the initiative now. That let us maximize our strengths and minimize theirs. If we give them the initiative by just waiting we let them do it instead, maximize their strength and minimize their weaknesses. If we follow your logic, we can never leave, since there could always be someone watching us, ready to strike the fort the moment we are gone. If we deal with Kressle before they know what have happened here, we won't be trapped in an endless dilemma."
    Last edited by oyzar; 2014-11-13 at 08:52 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171

"If we're going to make it to the bandit camp before they send another party here, we'll have to leave in the early morning and work the horses hard. I suspect the bandits were supposed to return this very day, or tomorrow morning if the takings were especially good. We'll be a bit late, due to our long trek to get here. If we're more than a bit late, the trading post could be in trouble, as they might send out a party we never encounter for it while we're still travelling.

"If they have traps, they'll likely be on the most obvious approach, but they do not seem like cautious types. We can still surprise them. I'd prefer to stay here and wait for them, as I feel there's more risk in attempting to rush them as fast as possible than there is in letting them take the initiative. As Lavinia suggests, their bold overconfidence should cause them to make themselves more vulnerable, not less, if we give them more time to act while we wait in reserve, but the risks could be deadly either way. I'd regret leaving the trade post exposed just as much as I'd regret trying to pursue the bandits after they'd prepared to be under siege."

Spoiler: To Jason
    Show
    Loyina smirks and flutters her eyelids, resting her cheek on the knuckles of one hand. Well, now. Yes and no. I was born into wealth, then impoverished, then came into wealth and was impoverished again. I'm as old as everyone here in this camp put together, you know, possibly including the horses and donkey." She let her arms fall, and went on dejectedly.

"I'm not in it for the money, if that's what you're wondering, though I could certainly use it. It's more to do with my reputation, or more accurately, the lack thereof. I still haven't made a name for myself, and have no other means by which to do so; thus, I am the noble non-leader of this expedition." She breaks out in a mischievous grin. "Which, by the way, is part of my motivation to write about it. Very frankly, one who writes history books has more power over the events of a war than do the armies' commanders."
    Last edited by Navian; 2014-11-13 at 11:12 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler: Time?
    Show
    It was said to be morning when the bandits arrived. Jason drew the others aside for this conversation right after dealing with the bandits. It can't have passed more than hour, maybe closer to half an hour.

"It is still morning now. We haven't wasted more time of the day than they would have used to get the loot anyway. There are 6 horses so should be enough for everyone. We can even change with the last one to not tire them all out as quickly. We don't have heavy loot to carry. If we do wait for them here will forever be afraid to leave as they can always have people stay nearby ready to set upon the fort once we leave. If we do get to their camp before they suspect anything is wrong we won't have that worry though. I am not sure if we can expect this Kressle to be as stupid as you suspect. Maybe she'll just ignore the fort for now and head for softer targets? Then we could be stuck waiting here forever. Unless either of you change your opinion I guess we are two against two though, Conrad, will you be the tiebreaker?" Jason turns to the paladin to have him offer his opinion on the matter.

Spoiler: Loyina
    Show
    Jason looks Loyina up and down appraisingly a smile forming on his face as he likes what he sees. "I would never have guessed you were that old by looking at you. You certainly carry your age well. I guess that is how it is with elves, though I've never seen a dark elf before. You are an elf or?"

"As for your story. If I get my will it will be a grand tale for you to tell. I am aiming to prove that I am more than just some simple bastard. I guess we are both seeking to make fame. If I ever do get my own title the nobles back in Brevoy will be forced to recognize me, that is my current goal. Hopefully you won't put me in too bad light in your tale.
    "

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Conrad

Conrad closes his holy text and speaks up, "I think that we cannot simply hide behind these walls and wait for another assault. In her second act Iomedae did not wait behind the walls of Eleder for the coven of witches to come to her, instead she took the fight to their home and removed the problem at the root."
    Last edited by sporkbeard; 2014-11-13 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Changed teh country to the city

24. - Top - End - #174

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Conrad is digging three graves to bury three bandits. Either he's not present, or it's definitely been more than an hour, and either way, he'd have to abandon his work for us to go out immediately. I've been working under the assumption that we don't have a meeting until our midday dinner.

Loyina says in response to Jason, "No, if you insist on leaving today, the choice is 'We stay near the trade post and wait for them, or we pursue them immediately and attack in the night.' You must know I could never resist a good chance at a night raid; I was assuming you'd want us to attack the bandits tomorrow. It would be nigh-on-impossible to arrive there before dusk today, no matter what we did to the horses, though I, at least, don't mind moving through a dark forest at night."

Spoiler: Still Jason
    Show
    "Once again, 'yes and no'. My people were once like the elves you know; I'd prefer not to speak more of our history. Some call us 'Dark Elves', though 'Drow' is the true name. I was born to power, but... my house was not politically successful, which is why I am a member of House Sarlona now."

Loyina grins in response to the suggestion."I make no promises--the audience must get what they're looking for. Make your story an entertaining one, and the rest should come naturally."
    Last edited by Navian; 2014-11-13 at 06:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175

Nialis

"It we wait, they will come in force and expect trouble. If we head to them, I doubt they would expect much right away. I expect that people get delayed and as such they won't assume the worst. We will have an advantage we will not get back."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Jason nods "Seems like the majority of us are in favor of travelling right away. I wish we could have come to an unanimous decision, however I hope you are all fine going with the majority decision in this case? Our chance of success would be much lower if people are left behind here." He looks to the two women for approval. "As for attacking in the night, I got a spell which creates light. I can cast it upon our arrows and bolts so we can see the areas where they strike. They might also have bonefires to see them by. Then again we might make it there a bit before nightfall anyway or we could just rest through the night and attack in the morning when we are not so tired from the day's journey. Loyina, I saw you lifting yourself up in the sky earlier today. Maybe you can lift us all up into the trees? Either for rest or to help with the ambush. Though tactics for what to do when we get so far can be discussed on the road. If we are indeed decided, let's be off, daylight's burning."

27. - Top - End - #177

"Fine then, shall we leave now?"
    Show
    All By emperor Ing

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler: Loyina continued
    Show
    "What do The audiens want? Drama, intrigue, excitement, heroics, conquest and romance? I guess the best stories are not always those with the easiest paths to the end. I hope we won't end up with too much misfortune. Thanks for the talk. I've learned quite a bit about you. I hope we've come closer to an understanding on how to avoid some of the conflict in the group as well. Did you have any more questions for me before we move on?"

29. - Top - End - #179

"Certainly--as soon as we're done eating. I'll gather all the animals, and we'll set everyone up nice with an even load... except Conrad's." She grins widely at him. "Some things can't be helped."

Spoiler: Jason
    Show
    "Not much use in asking you now. I'll let you rest." She gives Jason an extremely light and vaguely patronizing pat on the arm before heading off.

30. - Top - End - #180

Nialis

Nialis gathers his gear. "I am ready to go."