New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Games you still have not finished

I once read somewhere that most people never finish most games. Not sure if that's true, but I certainly do have quite a number of games that I just stopped playing at some point and never got back to, but I really want to complete them some day. Games you simply lost interest in and don't plan to complete some day don't count here. This is only for games you're "still working on".

Here some of mine, which I havn't completely forgotten about:

• Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm (only since March this year, but still)
    • Skyrim (since late 2012; it's a winter game, but the last two winters I never got around to do more than 15 to 20 hours, maybe this time. )
    • Final Fantasy XIII (since 2011)
    • Overlord and Valkyria Chronicles; which I both got when I had a PS3 but never completed.
    • Beyond Good and Evil, Final Fantasy X, and Okami; which I all got when I had my first PS2 in 2007 and never got to finish.
    • Homeworld (since freaking 2000! I got it not too much after release and probably got to about the fifth level 4 times. )
    • Also mention to Baldur's Gate II: I completed the first game probably at least 4 or maybe even 5 times, but I always wanted to do a complete playthrough of the entire series from the first game to the Addon of the second one. I played Throne of Bhaal once right after release in 2001, and none of my many attempts to play the whole series again went beyond the middle of BG2.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Games you still have not finished

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    [*]Homeworld (since freaking 2000! I got it not too much after release and probably got to about the fifth level 4 times. )
    I got to the final level, then discovered that the reason my mothership kept suddenly exploding was that the reinforcement fleet that shows up partway through the mission kept ramming into it. Said hell with it, haven't tried again since.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

A lot of games, and then I wiped my Windows partition accidentally and lost most of my save progress. So I'll have to start over. Which puts a wrench in it. But here's a few...

Steins;Gate: may not count as a "game" under some definitions, and there's not a whole lot gamey about it, but whatevs. Sunk a massive amount of hours into this one, now I'll have to do it again. Alas. But it's worthwhile, because it's in my Top 5 of stories.

Jade Empire: this one, it hurts to have lost, because I was right at the final boss fight, or at least just before it. Very close to the end. I kept losing to it, so I kept taking breaks from it.

Alpha Protocol: didn't really get much of a start into it, so not much of a loss. I'll come back and finish it later.

X-COM: the original, that is. Hard game to master, but I want to beat a run of the game, at least one.

X-COM: Enemy Unknown: currently playing.

Magicka: this one hurts, because I was a strong chunk of the way into the game. (Got to the "turning point", so to speak.) And now I lost all that progress. Oh well, it was only a few hours' investment, and the game is more than fun enough to replay.

Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich: another game where I lost a lot of save progress when migrating computers, but just so much of an awesome game that I'm good playing it from the get-go.

Torchlight and Torchlight II: hmm, maybe. This is less high on my list, and T2 was one I was playing with a friend.

Indigo Prophecy: oh wow, yes. I barely got into this one, but definitely worth playing just once.

Bioshock: just barely started the game, intend on playing through the series.

Telltale's The Walking Dead: started this game, stressed out when the first zombie showed up, plan on replaying it when I have more time to sink into it.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Baldur's Gate II
    Fallout II
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Deus Ex: Human Revelation
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Divinity: Original Sin

I love CRPGs. I do. I love all those games above, and have clocked hundreds of hours with each one of them. I don't think this makes any sense. o_O
    Although I suspect altitis has something to do with it...
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-11-01 at 11:20 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Skyrim - Started a new play through recently
    Homeworld - My first play through was lost due to HD failure, my second got corrupted somehow. (Half my fleet was stuck inside my Mothership), So I gave up.
    Borderlands 2 - Though I still play this once in a while.
    Torchlight II - Same as Borderlands

Also Valkyria Chronicles was a great game, well worth finishing - 2 or 3 times.
    You surrender after you're dead. Lan Mandragoran

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Metroid Prime Trilogy (working on 3, still haven't finished the other two)

Xenoblade

Earthbound

Plenty of other things that I've lost track of but intend to find and finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I have a few, mostly ones I got distracted from playing by the release of something new.

Earthbound - Didn't get far into this one, barely got the second party member.
    Final Fantasy 9 - Seemed decent as far as Final Fantasy games go. I don't think I was too far in, but further than with Earthbound.
    Dragon Warrior (Quest) 7 - The only Dragon Quest game I haven't finished (not counting the MMO). I was hoping the 3DS remake would come to NA, but it seems not.
    Xenoblade Chronicles - Played this for about an hour or so a year ago, but I wasn't in the mood for the kind of gameplay it has at the time.
    The Last Story - Pretty much the same situation as Xenoblade, but I got a little further into it.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    X-COM: the original, that is. Hard game to master, but I want to beat a run of the game, at least one.
    The first one isn't that hard, laser weapons and the abundance of elerium makes the game rather easy... Terror from the Deep on the other hand... jeezes, still haven't made it much further than the insane lobstermen

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

F.E.A.R. Working on that.

Teleglitch. Well, it's a roguelike, and I've done like four runs.

Terraria. Never did do all the hardmode things, let alone more ambitious sandbox projects.

Witcher 2 EE. Got it during the summer sale, haven't even completed a sidequest in the first town.

Fallout. I also have 2 and Tactics.

Batman: Arkham Asylum. On the final boss, actually, but got distracted by other games.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Abemad View Post
    The first one isn't that hard, laser weapons and the abundance of elerium makes the game rather easy... Terror from the Deep on the other hand... jeezes, still haven't made it much further than the insane lobstermen
    I mean in terms of interface stuff and managing inventory and such. A lot of busywork.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-11-01 at 01:27 PM.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

As a general rule, if I start playing any sort of game that has a storyline, I like to finish it. There are a whole bunch I never finished due to (a) them being garbage, (b) running into a game-breaking bug or (c) running out of skill, but I see those aren't the ones you're interested in. So, games that I stopped playing at some point but fully intend to return to:

Alice: Madness Returns: got frustratingly stuck on an area and uninstalled the game. Later on it suddenly occurred to me what my mistake had been, so I intend to reinstall that and re-try it some day.

L.A. Noire: I just lost interest about halfway through, but I really want to go back and finish it some day.

Deus Ex (new version): ragequit due to running into the first boss fight like an elephant running into a concrete wall, and I'm sure I'm not the only one! However, the Director's Cut is supposed to have rebalanced the boss fights, so want to try that again some time.

Recettear: got frustrated due to the apparent impossibility of covering the loan repayments, but I later found out that, if you fail the game the first time through, the adventurers you recruit on the later playthroughs are at the same level as they were when you failed the previous game, thus making adventuring rather easier. Need to find out if that's enough for me to make it through.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mass Effect 2: I finally picked it up again a few months ago, after a good deal of initial annoyance with the game, and I'm getting close to the end now. There are things I like about it, so I've decided to just go through with it (I doubt I'll be playing ME 3, though).
    Fallout: I keep making characters, playing for a while, not liking the character, and then starting over again. I'm somewhat stubborn about playing series' in the correct order, so I haven't played any of the others because of this, either.
    Half-Life: I was quite close to the end and then lost all my saved games due to Steam, and still haven't quite got back up to the point I was at yet. I still intend to complete it, but it keeps getting pushed aside for other things.
    Half-Life 2: Same story as above.
    Rome II: Total War: After playing for several months, it became increasingly unstable, and kept crashing after a few minutes every time I played. I'm hoping next time I try that'll have been fixed.
    Guild Wars 2: My interest tends to wane a bit after I hit the level cap, but I do still intend to finish the plot and all... however, the last few times I've played, the game keeps crashing.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Abemad View Post
    Lobstermen aren't that hard. Any melee weapon (stun rod or drills) owns them, and they're fairly weak to the stunning bomb. They're inherently resistant to sonic, but massed cannon fire can and will take them down fairly easily. They're dangerous, but no worse than Reapers or Snakemen from the first game unless you fall really behind on your research. Tasoths (effectively a mutons with a limited psi attack on their higher ranking troops) and (when underwater) Tentaculats (flying chrissalids!) are far more dangerous in my experience.

14. - Top - End - #14

Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim: I'm the type of player that wants to do every single possible side quest. That combined with the fact I spend most of my free time on online games meant that I'm probably not even half way through the main storyline of those
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    He's Fleeing Coward. The man could be a cookie-baking, cancer-stricken orphan kitten and still look like a reasonable suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I would advise people not to trust FC just on principle. Even if he's on your team, confirmed by the narrator.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Recettear: got frustrated due to the apparent impossibility of covering the loan repayments, but I later found out that, if you fail the game the first time through, the adventurers you recruit on the later playthroughs are at the same level as they were when you failed the previous game, thus making adventuring rather easier. Need to find out if that's enough for me to make it through.
    When you fail the game, it restarts you on Day 1, but you keep pretty much everything except the money. Adventurers, items, merchant level, you name it.

You're definitely intended to lose on your first run-through. Unless you can perform economic miracles.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Icewind Dale 2.

I started the whole IWD series several years ago and have been making my way through little by little.

3DS Name: Rezzy, FC: 0104-0343-1530

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

Fire Emblem Fates Castle Address
    05107-66614
    62592-54117

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Golden Sun 3: Hit one of those dry spots you find in rpgs where something interesting might happen later, but won't for at least another few hours. Since Golden Sun is basically about the dungeon puzzles, those tend to be frequent here.

The Last Story: Tried it for about an hour. Got through the first section. Haven't gone back.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Loved the first game, but the loss of the unique ghosts took away a fair bit of the charm.

El Shaddai: I really only played this for the trippy backgrounds. Went through it partially with a friend, then kind of forgot about it.

Wrath of the White Witch: This is a lot like El Shaddai, but even more pronounced. The art is by Studio Ghibli, and is therefor awesome, and the story doesn't sound bad either. But the game design is not Level-5's best work. And being a Level-5 game, I see little reason to hope the system will expand significantly 10 hours in. I might just watch a Let's play of this when I have the time.

Valkyria Chronicles: Helped a friend move to a new house. Lent them my PS3 and PS2 in the middle of a play through. Currently collecting dust.

Persona Arena: Really need to get on with this one, with Q coming out.

Okami: See Valkyria

Knights in the Nightmare: Distracted by another release, after a particularly annoying level in bullet hell.

Metroid Prime Echoes: Not the best handheld shooter.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Metroid Prime Echoes: Not the best handheld shooter.
    Wait, handheld? Do you mean Hunters, or was "handheld" the typo?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Wait, handheld? Do you mean Hunters, or was "handheld" the typo?
    *smacks forehead* Yeah I meant Hunters.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Man, I do this all the time! I still have a bunch of old Playstation and PS2 games on hold that I'll probably never get back to at this point (and actually I don't even remember most of them anymore).

So just listing the relatively current ones:

Ghostbusters: The Game -- This one currently holds the title in my Xbox 360's game history as the game that I haven't played in the longest time. But it is a great game and I fully intend to go back to it someday.

Halo 3: ODST -- The only Halo game that I ever really played much of the single player campaign. I think I am at the final mission, but Nathan Fillion bugged out and I got stuck at a place where I needed him to open the way or something, and I just never tried it again. But I'm SO CLOSE, I really want to try again sometime.

Final Fantasy XIII -- I got used to the game being so linear that when I got down to the planet and everything became open world I was just too overwhelmed and didn't know where to go. But I already bought FF13-2 and I really want to play Lightning Returns, so I'm gonna have to go back to this soon.

Dishonored and Deus Ex: Human Evolution -- These are both games I got fairly recently because they were on sale, but I dunno. I like them both, but I just haven't been in the right mood to play them.

Batman: Arkham City -- I'm pretty far in the game, but I got hung up on some Catwoman trophies or whatever they are and I feel like I might not get another chance to play as her, so I didn't want to continue, and I just got a bit frustrated.

XCOM Enemy Unknown -- This one is hanging on just because I'm a sucker for achievements. I only have 4 or 5 left to get, but they're pretty tough ones and I don't play the game that often. I got Enemy Within when it came out but I still haven't played it because I know I won't want to go back to the original once I get all those new goodies. (Note that EU and EW are separate games on the Xbox because of some size restriction on DLC expansions, if you're wondering.)

The Wolf Among Us -- I've only played three of the five chapters. When I do play it, I really get into it. I just haven't had enough alone time (b/c other people are too distracting for this game) to keep playing.

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes -- A pretty fun puzzle RPG. I just started the last chapter where all the heroes reunite after each having a chapter of their own. I don't even know why I stopped playing this one, to be honest. I just haven't felt like it.

Special mention goes to the Mass Effect series. While I've completed all three games with my first character and have since then been playing a bit of ME3 multiplayer, I still have a renegade Shepard on hold back in the original Mass Effect, and a theoretical third planned play-through that I haven't even started yet. It's just kinda hard to go back to the original Mass Effect after all of the gameplay improvements that the second and third games made.

I'm probably leaving some out that I just can't think of right now. And of course, this isn't even counting the handful of games that I've bought and never even started playing! This is what happens when you buy games like you're still a kid, but now you're an adult and even if you spend more time gaming than you should you'll still never keep up the way you used to.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2014-11-01 at 07:04 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

21. - Top - End - #21

Final Fantasy VIII (pwned by final boss long ago, haven't managed to come back to it yet)
    Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Never liked the real-time battle system stuff, really difficult, so I don't even have this anymore)
    Final Fantasy XII (Again with the darned real-time battle systems, and of course the well known gil grinding problem)
    Xenosaga Episodes 2 and 3 (Because REASONS)
    Disgaea Hour of Darkness (The original PS2 version, thankyouverymuch. Can't seem to keep my interest quite long enough to get through ALL the episodes, and the item world is annoying)

There's 2 others, Bravely Default and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2, but since I am pretty much playing them now I'm not counting them.
    It doesn't matter what you CAN do--it matters what you WILL do.

22. - Top - End - #22

PirateGirl

If I start playing a game, I usually keep playing it before moving on to something new. I don't generally get into new games or very many games at once and will go back and play old games I've beaten lots of times before. I don't typically abandon games midway through for the sake of a new game.

That said, for a long time I've been making runs at Neverwinter Nights over and over, never getting much past part 1 before petering out. A few months ago, I tried again and I think I'm near the end of part 4, much further than I've ever been before.

I almost gave up at the final boss of part 3 again because I was playing a dual wielding dragon disciple sorcerer. But managed to do it with some careful juggling of my battle strategy.

If I like a game, I'll sometimes casually engage in a 100% (or a mostly complete run of what is reasonable to accomplish. Dragon Quest 9 requires a huge number of grinding hours just for a chance at the top tier equipment, and there's dozens of the stuff in the game. You could grind just about forever in it.) But I didn't think you mean to include 100% runs in this finishing criteria.

If you did, I'm currently doing a (mostly) 100% run of Final Fantasy 12. And intend to do complete trophy runs of things like the Uncharted series and The Last Of Us. By playing them on the harder modes.

I suppose I began a playthrough of the Duck Tales remake, but since I was basically showing it to a friend of mine, I'm holding off until he wants to see more of it. I already played the NES version as a kid, and it seems to be identical in terms of gameplay.

There's probably a lot more games I'd want to do a 100% run for if I could think of them, but no others spring to mind.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I have been working on Tales of Xillia forever. I just cannot stay interested for more than a few hours a month. It's a fun game, but eventually, I just get bored. But, I want so badly to beat it.

I think that might be the only game on my list, actually. I'm a bit of a completionist.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

I've made strong efforts to get through The Witcher, twice. Both times I stalled out in the middle of the game, and just can't be bothered to go any further.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Star Fox 64: My N64 broke
    Jet Force Gemini: My N64 broke
    Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask: My N64 broke
    Mount and Blade: I've conquered a few nations but I was at a part where the obvious expansion means betraying an ally and I kind of put off that decision and now I just haven't picked the game up again.
    Witcher 2: Just got it a month or two ago, so I'm still in the process of playing through it, I just haven't had a bunch of free time recently.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Remmirath View Post
    Fallout: I keep making characters, playing for a while, not liking the character, and then starting over again. I'm somewhat stubborn about playing series' in the correct order, so I haven't played any of the others because of this, either.
    There really isn't much relationship between the plotlines in the Fallout games--heck, Fallout 3 and New Vegas take place in different parts of the country than the first two games, so you definitely don't need to have played the first two to understand the plots in those. There are some tenuous links between Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, but the latter game takes place 80 years after the first one, so those links really aren't that important.

Having said that, if you can't find a character you like in Fallout 1, you're not likely to be able to find one that suits you in 2 either, since they use identical RPG systems.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Nostalgia: A JRPG in the style of classic pulp adventure. Made a ton of progress over a few days off, but haven't done much with it since then.

Brave Story - New Traveller: Another JRPG. The gameplay is excellent inasmuch as JRPG gameplay can be, but I just haven't got the time.

X-COM - UFO Defense: I don't think I ever intended to finish this one. There's simply too much going on.

Oblivion: Tried to restart it and went a little crazy with graphics mods. It looked absolutely beautiful, but you couldn't leave the tutorial area without crashing the game. Eventually I replaced some of the mods with updated versions, and while you could exit the area, the mods themselves didn't work...I gave up after that.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Steins;Gate: may not count as a "game" under some definitions, and there's not a whole lot gamey about it, but whatevs. Sunk a massive amount of hours into this one, now I'll have to do it again. Alas. But it's worthwhile, because it's in my Top 5 of stories.
    Now you know how Okabe feels.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2014-11-02 at 03:59 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting that several people mention Witcher 2. That was one of the few games I got through entirely in a single go over a week or so. That almost never happens to me.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Interesting that several people mention Witcher 2. That was one of the few games I got through entirely in a single go over a week or so. That almost never happens to me.
    I completed The Witcher 2 in much the same way, but I've kept meaning to go back and replay it on the opposite side, and also maybe try to avoid the horrible massacre I caused.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I sided with the elves and opted to rescue Phillipa instead of Triss. It ended badly.
    I got the game last Christmas and that's still on my to-do list.

I got probably about 70% of the way through Fallout: New Vegas before I got bored of bumbling around and didn't really want to help any of the factions, including Yes Man. I'll probably go back to it at some point, but I'll then have the dilemma of either trying to pick up where I left off or have to start from the beginning and wade through the things that irritated me in the first place (stupid cazadores! Stupid Legion hit squads! Stupid buggy game crashing all the time!).

I started Dragon Age: Origins recently after picking it up on Steam ages ago. I've just got through the prologue playing as a really mean and murderous dwarf noblewoman, but there's a fair few aspects of the game that I'm not too keen on so I don't know if I'll stick with it.
    Last edited by Ebon_Drake; 2014-11-02 at 08:15 AM. Reason: I had to look up Yes Man's name, it's been that long and I cared that little
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Bravely Default It's a shame, too. I really enjoyed the game right until a certain spoilerific part where the game becomes highly repetitive. I keep meaning to go back to it, but I've been having other games and real life taking up my time, so I can't be motivated to finish it.

Spoiler: Bravely Default Spoiler
    Show
    After you finish the first world, you have to go through to same world again, multiple times, with the exact same dungeons and harder versions of the same bosses. All of them, from the whole game.

3DS Name: Rezzy, FC: 0104-0343-1530

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

Fire Emblem Fates Castle Address
    05107-66614
    62592-54117