New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Would you date a machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    I'm glad at least one person is willing to see that further debate on the subject of my opinion is not forum debatable. I will say this though, Just because I have a different opinion does not make me a bad person. Just because I'm not willing to treat a hypothetical sentient AI as a creature deserving of rights does not make me awful. Stop attacking my character people, because if that's all you can do, you are certainly no better then the awful construct you are making me out to be.

I am rapidly coming to understand what some others say when they talk about how unfriendly this forum really is to people who do not share popular opinion. It's kind of ridiculous that I'd be attacked just because I can not sympathize with a hypothetical construct of someones imagination. First I am told how abhorrent and horrible my opinion is by one poster, and then another attacks me accusing me of being some religious bigot. Got news for ya Enderlord, I"m not religious even a little bit, and talk of souls is wasted on me. Go back to the drawing board and find another way to attack my character.
    But in my eyes, if you think that the mere fact of origin is the deciding factor, you are a bigot. Maybe not religious, but a bigot all the same. Why should that matter?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

2. - Top - End - #182
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    when you introduce any sort of AI to the picture (even a rudimentary, non-sentient one),
    So you're allowing for a non-sentient sentient?

Because isn't that the point of AI? It's an actual, functioning, unguided, free willed intelligence that just happens to be artificially created? If it's free willed and all, well... Can a mind that thinks for itself not think for itself somehow?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have an interesting question. Prostheses these days are becoming able to provide basic neural sensory input. What if, in a few years, we can actually replace damaged parts of the brain with more advanced digital prostheses? Does that individual cease to be human or a person because part of their brain is made of metal? What if it's only a small section of the motor cortex? What if it's the entire frontal lobe? Why or why not?

Edit: And if replacing part of the brain with inorganic parts with perfectly equivalent functionality removes an individual's humanity or personhood, does replacing part of a limb with inorganic parts with equivalent functionality remove an individual's humanity or personhood? Why or why not?
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2014-11-05 at 02:55 PM.
    Jude P.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting question. For those who would be against treating androids as sentient beings, it'd likely come to a what % of the human has been lost to cybernetics, and hence they are now a cyborg and therefore no longer truly human.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

5. - Top - End - #185
    Banned

Hmm... I wouldn't date a machine, but I would date an Uplifted animal. Dr. Moraeu, please consult with Dr. Bowman ASAP.

And as far as the 'creepy sexbot' production thing goes - Meh. You don't want to give it a human mind (Abuse is bad. And we don't own the human mind), but you want it to be 'close enough'. It gives a safe outlet for weird fetishes that are unsafe/impractical to engage with another human. The only complaint against this I can see is from people who would rather force others to deal with harmless-but-creepy people because they can't have the decency to let those harmless creeps actually enjoy what they want to enjoy in a manner that doesn't harm anyone. Or are you afraid that you're so inadequate that robots will completely replace you?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Let's just say the sex toys for ladies can have dimensions I would have imagined to be quite excessive.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Is it an independent, sentient, thinking, feeling being, despite being of artificial origin? If the machine is, ultimately, programmed and limited, then no. But if it has independence, to the point that it's basically just another species, then maybe. It would be like asking if you'd date an alien species or an interplanar traveler or something like that, which is a definite maybe.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

8. - Top - End - #188
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Locked for review.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex