New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Counter for blink and/or dimension door, and gear suggestions!

So, first, the module our GM has us running through has had us encounter several intelligent enemies so far who have a tendency to, when nearly dead, either run through prodigious use of blink (this happened on two separate enemies, one of which has become a somewhat recurring guy), or invisibility. And today we had a boss fight get away from us with 5 (FIVE!!!) HP left after she dimension-doored away (this was AFTER she cast flying, and had a 26 AC, so no one was hitting her anyway at that point, though there was SEVERE discussion about tieing ropes to the dwarf and making a dwarven grappling hook).

We're only level 4-5 as a party today (I'm guessing we got enough xp to go to 6 today, but the GM hasn't tallied it yet). And the boss fight above was apparently a level 10 encounter that we were, until the 'fly away and dimension door out' bit kicking but at.

My question is, are there any particularly cheap items my character could pick up to help counter this? It's become extremely irritating to him that the one enemy just keeps coming around like bad gas, and the boss getting away was frustrating for him (mind you, I, the player, am having a blast).

I also thought I'd ask if anyone had gear suggestions for a level 5 or 6 straight greatsword fighter (half orc, just 20 strength really, everything else is 10). I've already got a +1 weapon, and currently have +1 banded that I will probably trade for +1 plate (no dex bonus, who cares), and we have at least 6k gold per person coming from the mayor apparently. Maybe something mobility enhancing? 20 move sucks. We're a pretty low-op group, so I'm going to stick with the simple but not OP build. Maybe a floating shield or something for the AC bonus, or would that be a waste? Only 17 AC (that's WITH the +1 banded) feels like I get whalloped every attack, but I have the HP to soak it most of the time.

I'm our parties primary melee, everyone else is either ranged, a rogue, or a caster, so AC//HP are good?
    Last edited by kroonermanblack; 2014-11-02 at 08:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Counter for blink and/or dimension door, and gear suggestions!

To stop enemies from using teleporation abilities such as Blink or Dimension Door to escape before your party can take them down I strongly recommend arming your party caster or any UMD skill user with a Wand of Dimesnional Anchor. Which would run your party 21,000gp. If that's too high, see if your party caster can keep one or two prepared when you hit a level that it's available.

For a mobility item, Boots of Striding and Springing are pretty standard. Though I would consider saving up for more important items depending on how your DM is handling wealth.

This resource is pretty excellent when you're looking to find gear to make encounters just a less problematic, and provides a pretty excellent selection within its topics.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

A scroll of Dimensional Anchor would be much more affordable than a wand; it sounds like this is a rare occurrence so having 50 charges is less than necessary. It's surprisingly easy to use scrolls of spells you can't cast: 1d20+CL versus a DC of its CL+1. His flight could be a bit trickier to deal with; a lasso from Book of Exalted Deeds or a net from core might be good choices. Or a harpoon from Stormwrack

What books do you have available? Magic Item Compendium has a variety of cheap items which are pretty handy: iron ward (or something like that) armor crystals give limited DR, Anklets of Translocation let you teleport a little bit as a swift action, and there's lots of other good stuff too.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kroonermanblack View Post
    My question is, are there any particularly cheap items my character could pick up to help counter this? It's become extremely irritating to him that the one enemy just keeps coming around like bad gas, and the boss getting away was frustrating for him (mind you, I, the player, am having a blast).
    Flour pouches (1 SP, Dungeonscape p. 30) can be thrown as a splash weapon to pinpoint invisible creatures and reduces the miss chance to 20%. Torch Bug Paste (25 GP, Complete Scoundrel p. 120) can be used to negate concealment from invisibility or blink entirely (although it doesn't work on magical darkness).

Shutting down teleport/dimension door is tough... even if you can afford dimensional anchor, there are several ways to get around that.

Here's a low-cost method that might work, but also might get books thrown at your head: buy a Chaos Flask (100 GP, Planar Handbook p. 76). With a Wisdom DC 13 check, this can be transformed into any other substance, including living creatures. Turn it into a small bit of Flux Slime (Epic Level Handbook p. 107). Among other things, this radiates an anti-magic field with a 10' radius. Do be careful with it, though... it will evaporate in a number of rounds equal to your Con score, but best to keep it in a light-proof container so it doesn't explode when exposed to sunlight. Keep it within 10' of your target (Sleight of Hand check, maybe DC 20, to slip it unobserved into his pocket), and he can't use dimension door or any other magical effects to escape until it evaporates.

Unfortunately, as soon as this NPC knows where the AMF is coming from, it's very easy to walk outside the 10' radius and then 'port away.

I also thought I'd ask if anyone had gear suggestions for a level 5 or 6 straight greatsword fighter (half orc, just 20 strength really, everything else is 10).
    Brute Gauntlets (500 GP, MIC) get 3 charges per day for +2/+3/+4 damage as a morale bonus. Not exactly something to write home about, but it gives him something to do with his swift action, and you can buy multiple copies if you run out of charges.

Amulet of Teamwork (2000 GP, MIC) and Helm of Tactics (2000 GP, MIC), which both give you and your allies +2 bonus damage each when flanking.

Boots of the Battle Charger (2000 GP, MIC) for the ability to charge as a standard action 2/day.

Third Eye Surge (2100 GP, MIC) is functionally similar to Brute Gauntlets, but gives you an insight bonus if you've already got a morale bonus from somewhere else (bless spell or bardic music).

Strongarm Bracers (6000 GP, MIC) for MOAR GREATSWORD.

Maybe something mobility enhancing? 20 move sucks.
    Boots of the Unending Journey (4000 GP, MIC) are a little cheaper than the Boots of Striding and Springing, but the +10' enhancement bonus may not stack with other movement buffs.

Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker (500 GP, MIC) and Anklet of Translocation (1400 GP, MIC) both offer swift-action movement once or twice a day.

Maybe a floating shield or something for the AC bonus, or would that be a waste? Only 17 AC (that's WITH the +1 banded) feels like I get whalloped every attack, but I have the HP to soak it most of the time.
    The cheapest defensive buffs are an Amulet of Natural Armor +1 or a Ring of Protection +1, both 2000 GP. When you get a chance, see if you can trade the +1 banded for a Darkleaf Breastplate. Darkleaf (Arms & Equipment Guide or Eberron Campaign Sourcebook) is similar to mithral (so medium armor counts as light), but only costs +2250 GP instead of +4000 GP. If you're looking for a shield bonus, start with a masterwork Dwarven Buckler-Axe (Complete Warrior or Races of Stone), which gives you a +1 shield bonus without the -1 penalty for using a buckler.

I'm our parties primary melee, everyone else is either ranged, a rogue, or a caster, so AC//HP are good?
    At lower levels, your primary job as the frontline meatbag is to dish out DPS and soak up damage for the REMFs. Amulet of Tears (2300 GP, MIC) is a good way to add temp HP at lower levels. After about 7th level, though, the quadratic spellcasters may start to outshine you. This may not happen in if the group is low-op as you say, but your job after that point is to stay relevant by increasing your flexibility. In tier-speak, this means being able to deal effectively with challenges that don't respond well to "Hit it MOAR!". So you'll want to look for things that can upgrade your action economy, counter flying/invisible/incorporeal/regenerating enemies, get through doors/walls/traps, control the battlefield, etc.

Fortunately, Shax can hook you up.