New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Against the 5th Crusade [IC]

Culsu attempts to throw some more stuff around, this time including a prospective archer, more backpacks, whatever else that seems like it might contain the bottles, backup weapons and other stuff. Then moves 30 feet further away and looks around in search of some lesser demon(s).

Spoiler
    Show
    Telekinesis to hurl 10 targets (totalling up to 250 pounds), 70 feet in the direction opposite to that of first throw and 70 feet up. Will DC 20 if thrown bodily or the item is held.
    Move away from crusaders keeping an eye on first pile of items (which should be on the ground by now, with shatterable things shattered).
    Stealth: (1d20+31)[47]
    Perception: (1d20+24)[30]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

"Well. We should get going to the stronghold I guess." Hesph says, still not really striving to open up a great deal. He pokes his head out the door and starts looking around to see if the coast is clear, before making his way carefully down alleys towards the stronghold. He peers cautiously behind each corner he comes to and does his best to keep aware of any crusaders in his path.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kakanlour glares at the corpse a moment, before turning to the succubus, projecting again.
    'You wish to ask me questions, you would best answer mine... But yes, you can have it, as much as I would enjoy rending it's weapon and armor.'
    Taking a moment, Kakanolour shrugs his shoulders, less a feat now that he stands as Jonathan, but clearly concluding some line of thought.
    'In any case, I have a way out, one that I merely need to track down. Unless you can offer me better, I've no use for you. But, I am Gallu, so I'm sure a way out would be very useful for you...' Kakanlour's thoughts take a teasing tone as he projects them.

Spoiler: If the Succubus has mind reading, as is implied
    Show

'Stupid whore, I am not one of her peers to be talked around and this is no time for a riddle, sorry Aresh. I need to find that Babau quickly, I'm not sure how far away it allows one to leave but it can't be to far, and with the rest of those crusaders after it... Two shots left, it wouldn't survive one. Wounds still hurt, I'll need to be careful, but too much caution and I'll be trapped with the rest of these rats. I bet I could get the whore down on knees that it doesn't usually rest upon, she'd even manage to be worth a good price at the bazaar, and pay my way back."
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Ah men, sooo talkative. Nixiels thinks to herself before flying after Hesph low above the ground. She is a bit sad that she can't pretend to be human together with the demon, but it feels good to be in her own body as well. In her own form, she really prefers to fly rather than walking, even if it is more noticeable. Due to the nature of her fantastic wings, she doesn't have to exert the rest of her body to do so, leaving it free to pose suggestively. That is, try to as best she can given that she is carrying a huge chunk of metal and wearing another one hiding her fabulous breasts from view. At least she does as best she can with her hips in her snug leather pants and bare arms. She sends telepathically to the brimorak. "Let's speak telepathically to avoid notice by humans. To be able to deal effectively with what we face it would be great to know some of your abilities. You've already seen the tentacles I can produce. I also excel at taking control over mortals. Using themselves to fight each other is quite effective. Sadly, some of them have pesky protection from my magic. I don't suppose you have something to help with that?" The succubus looks around for any signs of activity, though she is letting Hesph move ahead of her and peak around corners.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Perception:(1d20+20)[36]
    Stealth:(1d20+15)[23]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

What I offer is victory over the Crusade today. And a greater demon being in your debt. The demoness produces a scroll in her left hand as if by magic - Kakanlour doesn't see where she could have hidden it, given her sheer dress. The scroll pulses with divine magic like that of the crusader's weapons, only a lot more powerful. The marilith warlord of this city's armies lies dead. This is a scroll of ressurrection stoled from the crusaders. The demons that use one to bring back the other will turn the tide of the battle and be greatly rewarded. She shrugs prettily. The plan requires several demons that can avoid the crusaders' overt notice but still powerful enough to finish the task. I've been thinking of recruiting both you and that Babau you've been tailing. If the plan doesn't pan out, you could still flee.

She now stares at Kakanlour intently. Alas I cannot tell you who I am. Her gaze is now that of a predator having spotted a juicy morsel. But I can show you. Do you still wish to know?

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Citadel Drezen appears in the horizon as Nixiel and Hesph arrive. An once impressive fortress, it has been considerably damaged in the recent battles for the city, with all but one of its towers shortened and half-collapsed. Upon that still-intact tower the body of a marilith has been impaled upon a long pike and left there like some obscene banner - and yet a highly effective one in casting the demon ranks into retreat. Visible from much of the city, it appears entirely undefended and yet no demon has gotten close.
    At the ground level, crusaders and lesser demons are fighting fiercely, competing for possession of the lower levels of the castle itself. The crusaders seem to have the upper hand, with the demons limited to a loose besieging ring around the castle proper. Many demon corpses all but block the castle's main gate, most of them burned by some sort of magic. The crusaders are slowly organizing as more of them arrive from the battle at the city's walls, and slowly pushing the demons back. Hundreds of combatants from both sides are engaged into the melee; the cacophony is indescribable...

Meanwhile, inside Citadel Drezen itself, a shadow with the shape of an elf recovers from its painful immobility as healing magic courses through his body. Luthron looks around for its benefactor and sees a young elf woman in the vestments of a priest of Sarenrae. Her eyes are glowing silver - apparently some divination that allowed her to see him despite his concealment. The shadow demon that was once an elf feels he's heavily wounded still, but not about to expire any more.
    I don't see any taint of wickedness in you. Are you some elven spirit sent to help? the young elf woman asks. Did some demon cross the forbiddance and hurt you? Do you need any more healing?

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Culsu is still engaging the crusaders, if indirectly. As soon as he tries his telekinesis again though, the floating wizard with the glowing eyes creates a cloud of fog around him, making it impossible to hit anyone with magic and forcing him to move more slowly than he'd like. While the cloud is an excellent hiding place, Culsu is certain he has to flee as soon as possible - somehow that floating wizard can detect him when he uses magic... and will be able to guide the other crusaders as soon as they get off the tower.

8. - Top - End - #68

Kakanlour's brows furrow slightly at the succubus' plan, his surpise showing in his first spoken words to her.
    "You are bold, perhaps overly so... I would have no clue as to how to use such a scroll, but I know such magics don't work..."
    He then shakes his head, before continueing mentally.
    'I will aid you, and allow you to show me in the manner you would, in exchange for a truename fragment of a demon you know is still alive as well as it's breed, be it yourself or another... As to your previous question, yes. They did not bother trying to find me, they are chasing the Babau, and from his pack, that is not a trick they can repeat more than twice more, while I am already almost whole."
    Kakanlour motions to his almost restored physical body
    Show

Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.

Life is Hectic.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

"I hit things. A lot. And can cast a few dispel magics. ...it looks like that's it up ahead. It's pretty fortified. What should we do?" Hesph tells the succubus. He leans out from a building peering at the pile of dead bodies.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Luthron dismiss his invisibility and says(speaking not telepathy): Huh, oh, yes, something like that. Technically not a lie. He looks around with a confused look Have you seen the others? Others like me? He is well aware that the elf haven't but questions gives him time to clear his mind and bring forth an expression of sorrow and guilt(which he gets from thinking of when he realised he was unable to ressurect his love). Assuming the elf says no he'll continue We, I, they attacked us on the way here. I barely survived. His gets an impression as if he just steeled himself off. Yes more healing would be appreciated. What is this forbiddance you talk about? Oh and where are my manners, I am Luthron Melantris, what is your name?

Spoiler
    Show
    I carefully avoided lying, mostly just as an exercise in avoiding spells that spot lies since Luthron don't have anything against lying. Taking 10 on bluff would give 25 if you feel like I should still do it. He have after all changed his voice into a less horrifying and more pleasant tone.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2014-11-19 at 08:09 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Being unable to hurl the crusaders and their things because of the fog, Culsu hurled one hurlable thing that was not quite out of his sight: himself. Having no opportunity to choose a landing site, he threw himself in a suitable general direction, hoping he would not end up on a spike or something. After landing, Culsu gets 30 more feet away from the crusaders, peeks at them along the alley from behind some pile of rubble, takes a look back to choose a landing site just in case, then tries to telekinese once more.

Spoiler
    Show
    Telekinesing himself about 80 feet further away from the crusaders using a moderately high arc trajectory. Culsu has moved about 60 feet by now, but since his position is revealed, does not continue in a straight line. Let's say he gets closer to the alley. The total distance from the building should be less than 140 feet, let's say it's 120 feet at this moment.
    Hellcat stealth while in flight: (1d20+21)[35]
    Acrobatics to land on his feet: (1d20+17)[28]
    Falling damage: probably reduced to zero
    (this ends the previous round)

Move 30 feet for total distance of 150 feet (stealth: (1d20+31)[38])
    Telekinese either the same pile of stones thrown in first round (targeted at a wizard, any wizard) or himself (targeted 80 feet further away onto a building).

Assuming the stones:
    5 pounds (1d20+15)[17] for 1
    5 pounds (1d20+15)[34] for 1
    5 pounds (1d20+15)[27] for 1
    10 pounds (1d20+15)[19] for 1
    25 pounds (1d20+15)[26] for (1d6)[5]
    25 pounds (1d20+15)[27] for (1d6)[1]
    25 pounds (1d20+15)[19] for (1d6)[6]
    25 pounds (1d20+15)[30] for (1d6)[3]
    50 pounds (1d20+15)[20] for (2d6)[8]
    75 pounds (1d20+15)[19] for (3d6)[8]

Any lesser demons around?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Nixiel answers telepathically "Dispelling certainly sounds useful when we do get to combat. If you can lower their defenses, I can take control of them to turn against each other. As for hitting things, well, I can help you hold the enemies with tentacles so you can hit them at will. Neither of those tactics help us in our immediate situation however. I would prefer to avoid the grand melee. Much greater chance of something going awry there. What sort of abilities do you have for maneuvering, hiding and blending in? The gate seems like suicide, but certainly they will anticipate someone flying over the walls too. Flying over the walls might allow us to get at them at an unexpected angle though. You don't happen to know of any secret ways into the fort do you?" She tries to remember herself what entrances she knows off to the fort.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Knowledge Local? (1d20+6)[7]

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

The brimorak blinks once or twice at the succubus. "I ... err. I can walk, and run? And umm. Hide behind things I suppose? But not much else besides that..."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Nixiel keeps up a bright facade, but sighs inwardly. She then sends back telepathically. "That's unfortunate. Would have been nice to be able to fly over the outer wall, I don't think I can carry you easily. Maybe you can climb up the wall? I guess we could draw a bit closer to see if we can see other entrances than the main one." Nixiel moves closer to the corner to see if she can see any other entrances from here.

Spoiler: actions
    Show

Perception to look for other entrances(1d20+23)[33]
    Do I understand it correctly that the main entrance with the pile of bodies is the only way into the fort? The tower is inside the fort right?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Hesph lets her go ahead, waiting safely behind the corner and keeping an eye on the surroundings as she moves out. He's not above using her as bait. In fact, he's all for her going out first to look around.

"I'll wait here. Let me know what you find."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

No, I didn't see any others, I'm sorry. The young elven healer says diffidently. She then uses her power to heal Luthron again, the positive energy surrounding her touch reaching him despite his incorporeality. Apparently, such energy can affect the incorporeal just fine. That's as much as I can heal you, for now. But if you were attacked by the demons on your way here, we should warn someone with authority. Luckily the Heroes of the Crusade warded this tower. The way she says the phrase "heroes of the crusade" is how one would speak of demigods at least - not just mortal men, however powerful. Their Forbiddance will burn any demon attempting entry, obliterating many of them outright and weakening even their strongest warriors. And even should they cross into the citadel proper, different parts of the citadel have been warded separately; each floor and hall they assaulted would hurt them anew without warning. Not to mention the more intact portions of the castle are now hallowed ground, weakening the undead, blocking the mental powers of evil creatures and rendering any defenders invisible. The young elf smiles with satisfaction. Any assault would almost certainly break upon the wards alone and if it didn't, the weakened fiends would be easily dispatched. In the couple of days since the Heroes slew that multi-armed bitch and hung her corpse on the highest tower, we haven't even had any infiltrators, let alone full-blown attacks. With the citadel as a strongpoint set up behind enemy lines, as soon as the bulk of the crusade breaks through and sets up a base here, we'll have practically won! That last is said with genuine enthusiasm on the young elf's part. Almost as much enthusiasm as her bad-mouthing the slain Lady of Drezen. And while as all demons know mariliths are undoubtedly bitches, Luthron would not expect a young elven cleric to share the sentiment in that specific way.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Several of Culsu's thrown debris find their mark on the closest wizard. This time, the other wizard with the glowing green eyes doesn't immediately pinpoint his location as soon as he works his telekinesis and Culsu realizes whatever detection effect the wizard is using, it must be limited to no more than two hundred feet or so. While the other crusaders get closer to his general direction now that they've descended the tower, none get close enough to notice his very stealthy movements and are still searching the wrong portion of the ruins.

A large group of lesser demons, from a flight of quasits to a single Babau and a few other least fiends, comes running down a nearby street. All of them are screaming about some "dreaded adversary" or the like - Culsu can't hear much over the horrible cacophony. Two voices can be heard arguing over it though, and from their tone and timbre Culsu can tell they definitely aren't demons.
    Honestly brother, the guy who matched your might was a goat, on fire or not. The melodic but powerful voice belongs to a good-looking, athletic young woman with long silver hair clad in light silvery chain and wielding a sword of fire. She somehow is as perfectly healthy and wholesome as the city around her is ruined, not a speck of dust or drop of blood marring her form. I'm surprised you can show your face still, after that debacle. Her voice is teasing and playful but lacks any hints of malice. She idly gestures at the flight of quasits and least demons and a burst of silver fire as intense as a wizard's fireball and as harmful as holy water engulfs them for a moment, leaving behind it naught but ashes.
    Yes, yes, because the outcome of your fight was so much better. The silver-haired man says sarcastically. His hair is very short, his shoulders broader and limbs more muscular and less graceful, his armor heavier and his sword slightly larger, but other than that and being male, he is all but identical to the woman. If memory serves, you had to resort to hiding to get an opportunity to escape that trap of tentacles. He casually jumps the eighty feet to the screeching Babau as if gravity has no more effect upon him than his sister's teasing and cleaves the demon in twain with a single two-handed stroke of his blade.
    Brains over brawn, brother mine, and magic over might. She frowns as she sees no lesser demons remaining nearby then takes to the air through no apparent means of locomotion. It's not as if the temptress can flee the city and I've seen her magic now. Each time she uses it, a faint aura clings both on her and the area. We could follow those auras, like breadcrumbs. And trust me; temptresses can't resist using their magic at every opportunity. It's in their nature.
    Sounds like someone I know. her brother retorts, then frowns too. Do you sense that? It feels like a soul bathing in green slime... while being devoured by maggots. Weird. I thought I killed that Babau quite thoroughly.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Excellent! Those terms are agreeable. From what I can see, your new acquaintance might be needing some help shortly. He is very stealthy but bad luck happens, eventually. That is a truism of Chaos. the succubus whispers to Kakanlour mentally. Now for the agreed-upon exchange. Not all succubae are your enemies. The demoness practically wraps herself around Kakanlour and actually whispers in his ear rather than using telepathy as she presses herself against him. It is a single word that feels both familiar and alien to him, its meaning impossible to fathom, its syllables impossible to pronounce even after hearing it being spoken. It is a true name and the succubus has fulfilled his request in a way both clever and a bit scary; the name is his own. Along with it, comes an offer all succubae can make; a profane boost of his choice to his personal power. And there Kakanlour finds the other thing he asked for, at least in part; information on his new... ally. Most succubae can offer such a gift to mortals only. And most don't have knowledge of true names either.

So the redhead wrapped around him at the moment? Not your average succubus - at least in supernatural talent she easily outclasses him by a significant and unknown margin...

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Hesph and Nixiel have found their way close to citadel Drezen. From what Nixiel can see -Hesph doesn't seem very interested in scouting or tactics- the castle itself has several openings in its damaged state, especially in the upper levels, with most of its towers reduced in height and several breaches in the outer walls. The keep itself is intact, and its tallest tower is still standing, with a marilith corpse for an ornament too. Careful observation reveals that the crusaders are only defending the main gates and not very well either. They don't actually have a defensive line; instead they're forming kill squads to strike out at the more numerous demons then retreating back into the gates. Gates which are not securely locked in the face of apparently superior opposition.

Nixiel is no great tactician but even she can see a half-dozen ways in which the demon forces could defeat the crusaders. They could attempt to dislodge the kill squads from their positions, overwhelm the individually tiny groups with numbers. They could attack the crusaders from above using flight. They could attack the castle itself in the undefended upper layers, or use the breaches to get inside and clear it room-by-room. And yet the demons are slowly losing the battle, many blackened demonic corpses littering the more obvious approaches. And the crusaders don't seem too worried about defense. In fact, from what Nixiel can see of their actions they're practically inviting the demons to engage them...

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

And just when Culsu started to get somewhat confident about the situation, two more crusaders. Powerful crusaders. Killing all those imps before Culsu could even order them to grab the trophies, let alone actually trying to get away with said trophies. And now, presumably sensing him. The day was just not going to get any better. Not even one tiny bit.

Deciding that enough is enough, Culsu mentally curses the newly appearing duo and tries to get out of their way. ASAP.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial_the_Leveler View Post
    ...jumps the eighty feet to the screeching Babau as if gravity has no more effect upon him than his sister's teasing and cleaves the demon in twain with a single two-handed stroke of his blade.
    Has anything happened to said blade in the process?

Perception: (1d20+24)[30]
    Stealth: (1d20+31)[48]

This time, leaving for good.

21. - Top - End - #81

Krakanlour starts as he hears his own name. Almost all outsiders know their own true name instinctively. While not as potent as some stories, it did have power, which is why they didn't use them as identifiers, and to hear a fragment of his own name from a demon he doesn't know...
    It's more than a little unsettling.
    He's used to being supernaturally outmatched, but from what he now knows...
    'I know they are not... But that you know my names means that you looked to me thoroughly, and could have me bound to you with actual chains should you wish, I will remember that you chose a lighter touch... The Babau is probably my best bet at getting into the castle, unless you have a better plan?'
    There's the slightest touch of fear behind Krakanlour's telepathy as he slowly relaxes again, his flesh almost finished healing.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Please see OOC thread