New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 67 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: RWBY VI: This thread is also a tribute to Monty Oum

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Hey! I wanted to quote that if they decide to continue RWBY. I am preemptively nominating it as the next thread title, though.

RWBY VII: When does a man die?
    You might as well use the full quote.

RWBY VII: A man only dies when he is forgotten

2. - Top - End - #752
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dasgovernator View Post

I'm in support of this, but given that we are almost exactly half-way through this thread, can we keep it going for that long (barring the release of RWBY season 3)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

I will put aside my hate of One Piece to support this title.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

I too will back this title.

And Sure we can keep it going. Quick! Everyone spam post fanart ad fanfics! To backstory cave! *Cue Adam West Batman Scene Change.*
    "I Burn!"

5. - Top - End - #755
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I'm in support of this, but given that we are almost exactly half-way through this thread, can we keep it going for that long (barring the release of RWBY season 3)?
    Before we get to RWBY season 3, we are going to see a lot of events at Rooster Teeth:

1. The selection of a new animator (and probably several) to fill Monty's shoes.

We will certainly want to take these guys apart and question whether they have the chops to do it.

2. The next season of Red vs. Blue.

How RT does with may indicate whether they can handle Monty's baby.

3. RWBY videogame hits the shelves! (possibly)

I believe the videogame was set for a release prior to season 3.

4. Random stuff remotely RWBY related.

Of course there's a lot we don't know. Like how much of RvB and RWBY have already been created at this point. There is some indication that the storyboards have already been drafted for RWBY (Monty released a video of him mocapping a Neo dance, if that was for a fight scene..., not to mention Monty mentioned that the season 2 was finished long before it aired) and it is possible they have RvB was halfway complete or so.

I'm not sure if being partially complete will turn out to be a good thing or a bad thing...season 1, a lot of things got fixed up on the 2nd or 3rd go through (especially the big battle at the end of the Emerald Forest), season 2 a lot of things um...didn't happen because they ran out of time. Season 3 they may help fulfilling the vision because its already laid out...or they could screw it up because they didn't want to deviate from what was already thought up, despite some plans being half-baked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

6. - Top - End - #756
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Harry Potter, as if there was a remote possibility of someone wandering into this forum who doesn't already know the series
    Show
    Aannndd I can't help myself and have to say that it makes sense to me. Dumbledore was under a curse that was going to kill him in a year, so whatever he was going to do would end up with him dying. If he dies unbeaten, he breaks the power of the Elder Wand, and if Snape is the one to kill him it means that his inside man gets a stronger position in the Death Eaters. It's killing two birds with a stone that was unexpectedly thrust upon him, and I don't have a problem with how that happened.

Harry has to be kept in the dark with this because Voldemort has a direct link to his mind that Harry hadn't learned to block at the time. While Voldy was avoiding this psychic link, it's still too great a risk to give Harry the knowledge of all the plans to take down Voldemort. He doesn't want Voldemort to seek out the Elder Wand or the Hallows, and he definitely can't let him know where Snape's loyalties lie as he is possibly the greatest asset to the plan and the anti-Voldemort resistance in general. Therefore, these are things that Harry cannot be allowed to know in case they slip through the link and destroy all of Dumbledore's plans at once. The mission to destroy the Horcruxes was a single part of the plan given to the person with the best chance of finding the Horcruxes.

You don't have to answer that, by the way. I was just explaining how I see that plot point.
    I don't have to answer that? Ok... now we'll never know my answer.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Definitely, though even if we somehow lapse in our attention enough for this thread to end up six-weeks-dead that just means we need to make the next thread prematurely (with the new subtitle).

On a different note:

Spoiler: Relevant Thing I Found
    Show
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

The acoustic version of This Will Be the Day is abso-friggin-lutely beautiful. That is all.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    The acoustic version of This Will Be the Day is abso-friggin-lutely beautiful. That is all.
    so true, I could actually see it being used as the opening for the final season of RWBY after hypothetically going through a lot of pain and horrible events.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #760
    Bugbear in the Playground

When I do a fanfic, or any creative work really, there's nothing that helps me work on it like some creative feedback. I really want to finish this one as, while I have my problems with RWBY, I respect it enough to offer this in Monty's honour. I am a bit unsure if it's aproppriate, as it is born from my disatisfaction with his dream work, but I do sincerely offer my sorrow, condolences and support to his friends and family.

This story is set in the world of my rewrite, about three or four years after the events of episode 1. Cinder's big plan has been achieved and she is drawing up new designs. Our heroes have found a tenuous balance in their lives and are looking into ways to perform a counterattack on Cinder, but these fledgling plans are by no means well tested...

Spoiler: part 1 of ?
    Show
    ASH WHITE ROSE

Hi, I'm Yang Xiao Long. Um, I'm twenty years old and training to be a Huntress at Haven Academy but I started my training at Beacon, in the old kingdom of Vale. I might be a full Huntress by now if we hadn't lost it, but I'd probably still have ended up here.

The day had finally arrived, Ruby thought as she listened to the shower running behind the door. It was actually dizzying: in less than two hours, she and her teammates would be taking a journey that no human had travelled for more than a thousand years, walking on ground that could be unlike anything found in the world. She hadn't felt this nervous since she had started Beacon. Once again, she was leaving her friends and home behind for an incredible experience.

The room looked far from homely, despite the four girl's best efforts. It was a bland, whitewashed cube with a square curtained window and bare lightbulbs. The secrecy surrounding the expedition had made it impossible to bring in any items from outside without severe checks, which even their central position in the project had been unable to secure; all of the furniture was made from grey metal: the military cribs, the angular tables, the solid chairs, the broken tea trolley that was now a bookshelf, the plyboard cupboards. The window's automatic dimming had broken shortly after RWBY moved into the compound and, after finding out how long it would take to clear somebody to fix it, they had made their own curtains out of tarpaulin, painted an approximation of the Beacon emblem on them (in hindsight, it would have been better if they'd let Blake do that) and stuck in place with duct tape. The walls had been plastered with band posters and sketches, but they just looked like... well, plasters, covering the inherent lifelessness of the room. And yet, it had been their home for nearly three months as they trained and prepared for the incredible moment. If they came back here, Ruby reflected, she was going to treat the room to a tin of paint at any cost.

Their alarms had gone off ten minutes ago and after Blake had won the race to the little bathroom, the team had moved to their present positions. Ruby hovered by the bathroom door, looking over the room like of an unsure deer would watch the surroundings. Yang constantly shifted positions beside the door to the corridor, waiting for the call that would start the final preparations. Weiss circled around the room picking up clothes, dishes, food wrappers and other common detritus and putting them away. Ruby felt like she should say something, but what could she say? This was an unknown experience, undocumented for more than a millenium. None of the robotic drones had returned from beyond, but apparently there was tons of evidence that humans (and faunus) could make this journey and return.

This is far too short for how long it's taken me to get started, and I'm worried that it also feels a bit rushed, but I'm not sure what to put in to pace it out a bit. Any feedback is welcome.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

11. - Top - End - #761
    Colossus in the Playground

I like it. Can't think of any specific comments about it, though.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well this might not be entirely RWBY related but RT are trialing releasing all videos a full day earlier to sponsors than the public instead of just 2 hours or something. Not sure how I feel about that.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some people will be upset, some will be able to use the early release as a valid explanation for paying to be a sponsor. Myself? I'm a week behind on Crunchyroll because I have a free account, so one day isn't that big a deal to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by *Doctor* Bartholomew Oobleck
    History is the very backbone of our society! And the liver. And the kidneys too if I was willing to wager.

14. - Top - End - #764

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I like it. Can't think of any specific comments about it, though.
    That's probably because I haven't written much. There's an innocous foreword by Yang, then four girls waiting to use the bathroom and a description of their bedroom. There's also a few hints about the state of affairs and how things have progressed, such as Ruby thinking about the future more and the fact that they aren't at Beacon anymore (Technically speaking, they aren't in Haven either: They are officially still enrolled, but this mysterious project has had them relocate to another place).

Quote Originally Posted by Mrc. View Post
    Well this might not be entirely RWBY related but RT are trialing releasing all videos a full day earlier to sponsors than the public instead of just 2 hours or something. Not sure how I feel about that.
    Well, it gives people more incentive to sponsor them, as an hour's difference isn't that much. I'm not too bothered because I sometimes wouldn't get to catch up with the RWBY episodes for a day anyway at times. It really depends on how you view it in terms of advantages for sponsors vs non-sponsors being isolated, I suppose.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    We have very different tastes in music then, because I started listening to it and couldn't finish.

Speaking as a non-sponsor, I don't care one bit. If you're paying for the thing you get it earlier, makes perfect sense.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    We have very different tastes in music then, because I started listening to it and couldn't finish.
    The vocals might be too high.

For once though, I actually agree with Raziere. This would be the opening song for perhaps the final season (or the darkest season if they have a pacing of descending and then ascending, rather than the final season being the darkest but also bringing a final defeat of the enemy).
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2015-03-01 at 08:20 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

17. - Top - End - #767
    Troll in the Playground

Question Re: RWBY VI: This thread is also a tribute to Monty Oum

They held the final RWBY season 2 videos back a whole month before releasing them. I think that's more questionable, from a marketing standpoint at least, than giving people who pay slightly earlier access.

Really, it's a commercial enterprise and RT has a right to earn money. Animation is also quite expensive to make and I don't know if it's even feasible on a pure ad supported model.

I actually think the attitude that they should be expected give out their material for free to be objectionable. Not that I'm sure that's the point here, I need to see more.

When I do a fanfic, or any creative work really, there's nothing that helps me work on it like some creative feedback. I really want to finish this one as, while I have my problems with RWBY, I respect it enough to offer this in Monty's honour. I am a bit unsure if it's aproppriate, as it is born from my disatisfaction with his dream work, but I do sincerely offer my sorrow, condolences and support to his friends and family.

This story is set in the world of my rewrite, about three or four years after the events of episode 1. Cinder's big plan has been achieved and she is drawing up new designs. Our heroes have found a tenuous balance in their lives and are looking into ways to perform a counterattack on Cinder, but these fledgling plans are by no means well tested...

Spoiler: part 1 of ?
    Show
    ASH WHITE ROSE

Hi, I'm Yang Xiao Long. Um, I'm twenty years old and training to be a Huntress at Haven Academy but I started my training at Beacon, in the old kingdom of Vale. I might be a full Huntress by now if we hadn't lost it, but I'd probably still have ended up here.

The day had finally arrived, Ruby thought as she listened to the shower running behind the door. It was actually dizzying: in less than two hours, she and her teammates would be taking a journey that no human had travelled for more than a thousand years, walking on ground that could be unlike anything found in the world. She hadn't felt this nervous since she had started Beacon. Once again, she was leaving her friends and home behind for an incredible experience.

The room looked far from homely, despite the four girl's best efforts. It was a bland, whitewashed cube with a square curtained window and bare lightbulbs. The secrecy surrounding the expedition had made it impossible to bring in any items from outside without severe checks, which even their central position in the project had been unable to secure; all of the furniture was made from grey metal: the military cribs, the angular tables, the solid chairs, the broken tea trolley that was now a bookshelf, the plyboard cupboards. The window's automatic dimming had broken shortly after RWBY moved into the compound and, after finding out how long it would take to clear somebody to fix it, they had made their own curtains out of tarpaulin, painted an approximation of the Beacon emblem on them (in hindsight, it would have been better if they'd let Blake do that) and stuck in place with duct tape. The walls had been plastered with band posters and sketches, but they just looked like... well, plasters, covering the inherent lifelessness of the room. And yet, it had been their home for nearly three months as they trained and prepared for the incredible moment. If they came back here, Ruby reflected, she was going to treat the room to a tin of paint at any cost.

Their alarms had gone off ten minutes ago and after Blake had won the race to the little bathroom, the team had moved to their present positions. Ruby hovered by the bathroom door, looking over the room like of an unsure deer would watch the surroundings. Yang constantly shifted positions beside the door to the corridor, waiting for the call that would start the final preparations. Weiss circled around the room picking up clothes, dishes, food wrappers and other common detritus and putting them away. Ruby felt like she should say something, but what could she say? This was an unknown experience, undocumented for more than a millenium. None of the robotic drones had returned from beyond, but apparently there was tons of evidence that humans (and faunus) could make this journey and return.

This is far too short for how long it's taken me to get started, and I'm worried that it also feels a bit rushed, but I'm not sure what to put in to pace it out a bit. Any feedback is welcome.
    I need to read more to ake a judgement.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY VI: This thread is also a gun

How the heck did a Harry Potter debate make its way into a RWBY thread?!?

If the rest of Roosterteeth still want to produce RWBY, they should be capable of doing it. The fights may not quite hit the heights that Monty could provide, but maybe they'll iron out the flaws when they try to give it their best.
    Honestly, even Monty Oum missed the hights Monty Oum could provide more often than not. I really liked the fight in Players and Pieces; it felt epic, and was resolved with clever use of things we knew that the characters could do. Volume 2, no--it had the potential, but oh how it was squandered. Heck, even the other fights in Volume 1 were well below that one in quality, although I guess there are people who like watching Superman beating up random crooks if it's sufficiently well-choreographed.

While I agree with the sentiment... You know what, I do agree with the sentiment. It was fun enough to watch and it had enough potential for me to say that I enjoyed it. It was weak in quite a few areas, but it was pretty good for an independant animation studio. I'll understand if they want to leave it after this, but if they do decide to keep going, I'll see how they do.
    Ditto. Although I don't see RT dropping such a popular show just because the author can't write it--especially since he apparently talked about his plans with a lot of the crew.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: RWBY VI: This thread is also a gun

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Ditto. Although I don't see RT dropping such a popular show just because the author can't write it--especially since he apparently talked about his plans with a lot of the crew.
    Can we really call him the Author? I thought he mostly handed those duties off to Miles and Kerry after coming up with the creative concept and was more the Animation/Art/Choreographer of the show.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

Stan Lee only really wrote Dialog for Marvel characters he's often credited with creating. (Because for all of Jack Kirby's other talents he really wasn't good at dialog.). I don't see why Monty can't get an author credit.
    "I Burn!"

21. - Top - End - #771
    Troll in the Playground

Can we really call him the Author? I thought he mostly handed those duties off to Miles and Kerry after coming up with the creative concept and was more the Animation/Art/Choreographer of the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Stan Lee only really wrote Dialog for Marvel characters he's often credited with creating. (Because for all of Jack Kirby's other talents he really wasn't good at dialog.). I don't see why Monty can't get an author credit.
    Monty was more than just an animator. It was his vision. It was his characters. It was his idea, story, setting, style, mood. He was certainly editing and telling Miles and Kerry what he wanted to be able to portray and how they were to set things up.

People talk about RWBY as "anime style" that's more than just the animation. That's the RWBY characters, the shounen plot, and the setting the mixes future-present-and past in a fantasy world were everything is somewhat magic, confronted by creatures having only a vague resemblance to anything in reality or mythology.

Miles and Kerry never even saw an anime before they started writing the show.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2015-03-05 at 08:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

My point was that even if one discounts all of that (and one shouldn't.), he should still get to be called the author. Just to clarify.
    "I Burn!"

23. - Top - End - #773
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Well.
    It looks like I picked quite possibly the worst possible timing that could ever possibly exist to make my reascension, both to the Playground forums as a whole and to this thread (or chain of threads, as it may be) specifically.
    Although I'd already heard the news, seeing the reaction here just makes me sad all over again. Rest in Peace once again, Monty, God knows you deserve it.

As for the memorial, I suppose I still have this. I wrote it shortly before the news so it might be a bit inappropriately humorous, but...I digress.I'm still working on what a good idea for a proper tribute could be.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Well.
    It looks like I picked quite possibly the worst possible timing that could ever possibly exist to make my reascension, both to the Playground forums as a whole and to this thread (or chain of threads, as it may be) specifically.
    You're referring to your handle, I assume?

25. - Top - End - #775
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    You're referring to your handle, I assume?

Huh. I hadn't even thought of that.That too, I suppose.
    "I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand, I shall reap the sins of this world and cleanse it in the flames of destruction.My name is Hakumen. Your time has come!"

26. - Top - End - #776
    Barbarian in the Playground

It is indeed sad that Monty passed away. His was a great life, and we remember him best by admiring his work, being creative and always having the same drive that he had.

For those of you interested, LaZodiac (a regular in this thread) is doing a "Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword" Let's play, so I advise you check that out. Also, the trailer for RvB 13 came out today. Though I know I'm the only one who cares about that

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

I hadn't even realized they were still doing RvB.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Troll in the Playground

It is indeed sad that Monty passed away. His was a great life, and we remember him best by admiring his work, being creative and always having the same drive that he had.

For those of you interested, LaZodiac (a regular in this thread) is doing a "Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword" Let's play, so I advise you check that out. Also, the trailer for RvB 13 came out today. Though I know I'm the only one who cares about that
    Ooh, and here I was afraid I'd have to suffer through the game myself. To the thread-mobile!

29. - Top - End - #779

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    How the heck did a Harry Potter debate make its way into a RWBY thread?!?

{...}

Well, they're both series about schools of the superhuman and fighting against the forces of darkness, with focus on a discriminatory society being exploited by the villain. It was inevitable that the comparision would be drawn at some point. Also, this is The Playground. If it has a difference of opinion and a tangential relationship to the main topic, we'll do our best to change at least one of those.

As far as RWBY continuing, it really depends on how much of the big plot the crew knew and if they want to continue Monty's series, as they may be worried that they can't make it good enough to be a fitting tribute or something. If that is what they feel, I fully respect their wishes, even if it means that the series ends on its worst episode.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #780
    Troll in the Playground

Where the heck is LaZodiac's Let's Play!?

Well, they're both series about schools of the superhuman and fighting against the forces of darkness, with focus on a discriminatory society being exploited by the villain. It was inevitable that the comparision would be drawn at some point. Also, this is The Playground. If it has a difference of opinion and a tangential relationship to the main topic, we'll do our best to change at least one of those.

As far as RWBY continuing, it really depends on how much of the big plot the crew knew and if they want to continue Monty's series, as they may be worried that they can't make it good enough to be a fitting tribute or something. If that is what they feel, I fully respect their wishes, even if it means that the series ends on its worst episode.
    According to the New York Time's RT is going ahead with the third season.

I think what happened with Season 2 is that Monty and RT got a bit full of themselves after Season 1 came out so good and looked to both improve things technically while indulging in their whims (RWBY inter-team telepathy!) and fan-service (aka Velvet and team CFVY). Along the way, they ran out of time and nixed their plans to make the villains just as awesome in a fight.

Its an easy mistake to fix: Step 1: cut back on the lengthy meaningless battle scenes, Step 2: Reach for the Decaff, Step 3: improve the enemies in a fight a couple of notches

Now for what is suddenly the most important thing in the universe: There is, after all, a tournament arc coming up, so this one is perfect: RWBY vs. RWBY: Which member of the team would come out on top in a RWBY tournament?
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2015-03-08 at 12:27 PM.