New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Weekly Subclass Workshop

I used to do a lot of home brew, but it's just sort of dried up lately. It isn't like I don't have free time anymore, it's just that I fell out of the habit of doing it and haven't been able to force myself to get back to it. Which is bad because I LIKE brewing, or doing creative things in general.

So in order to force myself to get back in the saddle so to speak, I'm going to be posting a home brewed sub-class here at least once a week. This will hopefully get me back into the habit of making creative content on a regular basis, as well as giving me a better feel for what does and doesn't work in 5e brewing.

A few quick notes:
    -Criticisms more than welcome. Half the reason I made it weekly and not bi-weekly was so there was a whole week to fine tune one subclass before moving onto the next.
    -Requests definitely accepted. Restrictions breed creativity and I love someone else telling me what to do so I don't need to figure it out
    -This is a personal project, so please don't post your own subclasses in the thread.
    Last edited by Anubis Dread; 2014-11-07 at 04:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Weekly Subclass Workshop

So this is basically the sub-class for grapplers that want to lock down people. Did you make this while keeping in mind that you can grapple someone then shove them to knock them prone, which makes them stuck completely?

I'll list a list ideas for Sun-classes that I have in my head:
    A shapshifter one for fighters or barbarians
    A shapeshifter one for rogues, but this one being more focused on becoming sneaker animals then the fighter or barbarian one
    A mundane doctor sub-class
    A Party Domain for Clerics, for when you want a devote worshiper of the God of Wine

3. - Top - End - #3

RedKnightGirl

Huh, I did not make nearly as many minor errors as I thought I did. Still need to pretty up the whole thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by GorinichSerpant View Post
    So this is basically the sub-class for grapplers that want to lock down people. Did you make this while keeping in mind that you can grapple someone then shove them to knock them prone, which makes them stuck completely?
    Honestly the Justicar isn't really as good at shoving or grappling as it first appears. Though they can make a shove or grapple attempt as a bonus action, a duel wielder can already do one of those things just by using their off-hand attack to make an Athletics contest. The only thing it can do that others can't is make a Grapple attempt as a bonus action, since you need a free hand to do that so making an off-hand attack to trigger it isn't possible. Their Advantage to Shove and Grapple is also pretty conditional too - they need to study an enemy for one minute, which means that unless they ambush enemies consistently and have no need for the other benefits of Bloodhound they'll only gain that benefit against one enemy each combat.

Instead the Justicar starts with 'how can you make a Fighter more like the Punisher/Batman' and works down from there. Which considering the original Justicar is sort of keeping in theme. Ever feature from being able to Shove or Grapple with a bonus action, to Bloodhound itself, to the debuffing nature of Debilitating Blow is all to make it easier for the Fighter to hunt down their nemesis and make sure they don't escape when they do. It's sort of a top-down subclass, which is fine.

That said simply having the ability to Grapple anything without them breaking loose regardless of size means it is pretty much a must have for a dedicated grappler if you fight extremely large foes on a regular basis. And yes I did take the shoving + grappling interaction into account, it's my favorite little trick

I'll list a list ideas for Sun-classes that I have in my head:
    A shapshifter one for fighters or barbarians
    A shapeshifter one for rogues, but this one being more focused on becoming sneaker animals then the fighter or barbarian one
    A mundane doctor sub-class
    A Party Domain for Clerics, for when you want a devote worshiper of the God of Wine
    All good ideas. I admit to thinking about tackling Warshaper for my first attempt at a subclass, but it seemed a little too much to take on for my first attempt at a 5th brew

EDIT: Moving the Justicar down here to clean up the first post.

Spoiler: Justicar
    Show

THE JUSTICAR

As its name suggests a Justicar is an unrelenting force of justice. Experts at hunting down criminals and bringing them to justice, the Justicar combines keen out of combat tracking ability with powerful restricting moves for when they join the fray. Whether they be a captain of the guard after a famous burglar, a less than scrupulous bounty hunter after a bandits head or even a villainous assassin out to kill a pure hearted prince, all Justicars have one thing in common - if they mark you, they will find you

Bloodhound

At 3rd level you may designate a creature to be your mark. In order to do so you must either be able to see the creature or a facsimile of the creature such as a picture, and must also concentrate on this image for one minute. While an enemy is your mark, you gain several benefits:

-You have advantage on all ability checks to determine the location and activities of the mark.
    -Your overland speed and the overland speed of your party is doubled while in direct pursuit of your mark.
    -You have advantage on all Insight and Intimidate checks against the mark.
    -You gain advantage on all Shove and Grab attempts against the mark.

A target remains your mark for a period of time of up to one week per fighter level. Once this time period has expired or you have chosen a different creature to be your mark, that creature is no longer your mark and cannot be designated as such again for a month.

Subdual Expert

At 3rd level you may make Shove or Grapple attempts as a bonus action.

No Escape

At 7th level you gain a mastery of restriction. Enemies that are larger than you do not automatically succeed at contests to release themselves from your grapple.

You also get better at other forms of capture. Those who are tied up by ropes you tie or locked up in manacles you lock have Disadvantage on all ability checks to escape their bonds. In addition, if someone attempts to pick a lock you have locked, they have disadvantage on that ability check.

Debilitating Strikes

Whenever you hit a prone or grappled enemy with an attack once you have reached 10th level, you may choose to apply one of the following effects:

-The enemy must succeed on a Wisdom Save or be Frightened by you for one round.
    -The enemy's movement speed is cut in half for 1d6 rounds.
    -The enemy must succeed on a Constitution Save or be Poisoned for one round.
    -The enemy takes an additional 1d6 damage.

Unrelenting Pursuit

At 15th level you have honed your senses to the limit. You know the exact direction your mark is in in relation to yourself as long as both you and your mark are on the same plane of existence.

Knock Out Blow

At 18th level whenever you hit with an attack, you may make that attack a knock out blow. Unless the enemy succeeds on a Constitution check they are immediately knocked unconscious.

Once you have used a Knock Out Blow you cannot use another one until you take a short or long rest.

Spoiler: Author Notes
    Show

* The Justicar is pretty niche, which is intentional. The PHB subclasses are intentionally made to be extremely broad. Since we're homebrewing one of the better ways to make something unique is to give it a narrow but powerful niche.

* This probably would have been equally as good as a Ranger sub-class, but since Rangers already have many tracking tools it made more sense to give it to the Fighter. That and I wanted to start with a Fighter subclass.

* The Justicar might have under-tuned combat abilities and over-tuned out of combat ones. Which is fine, but if the out of combat abilities aren't applicable consistently then it might need a stronger combat base.
    Last edited by Anubis Dread; 2014-11-07 at 04:11 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

RedKnightGirl

So, because I both have a bit of free time and work and because it makes sense to post a few subclasses quickly in order to get more feed back, this thread is temporarily 'daily subclass worshop' instead of weekly.

This time we have a shapeshifting Rogue subclass at GorinichSerpants request, though it likely isn't what he had in mind. And I did not even notice the user name irony involved .

Spoiler: Serpentine Infiltrator
    Show

Serpentine Infiltrator

In dark jungles forgotten by man-kind dwell the yuan-ti. Insidious snake folk with the ambition to control civlizations like a puppeteer their maniquin, they are masters of deception and infiltration. A serpentine infiltrator is a rogue who has obtained a small taste of the power of a yuan-ti. Perhaps you were educated by a yuan-ti to operate as a spy in other lands. Perhaps you were bitten by one and the venom did not kill you, instead passing on the mysterious powers of the serpent. Perhaps you trained to learn the art of the reptile in order to hunt down those that use it. Whatever the case, you are a master manipulator and talented shape shifter.

Some of the Serpentine Infiltrators abilties require the enemy to make a saving throw. If they do, the DC of this check is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier.

Viper Form

At 3rd level you gain the ability to transform into a viper with your Cunning Action. While in viper form you replace your stat block with that of the vipers, with the following exceptions:

-You retain your hp. Any damage you suffer in viper form carries over to your human form, and vice versa.
    -You retain all your rogue abilities. However, you cannot sneak attack with your natural weapons while in serpent form
    -You retain the same Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores you have in your humanoid form.
    -You retain your personality and alignment.

If you are slain or knocked unconcious as a viper, you immediately return to your humanoid form. If there is not enough room in the area to return to humanoid form, you instead remain in your viper form but are immediately slain.

Snake Blood

At 3rd level you gain proficiency with the Poisoner's Kit and resistance to Poison.

Vizier

At 9th level you have Advantage on Persuasion and Deception checks against those that have a higher social rank than yourself.

Venomous Fangs

At 9th level you gain a pair of snake fangs even in your humanoid form. They are retractable and unnoticeable unless you are using them to before an attack.

As an Action or your Cunning Action you may make an attempt to bite an enemy with your fangs. Make an attack roll against an adjacent enemy. If you hit, that enemy takes 1d6 Poison damage and must succeed on a Constitution Save or be Poisoned for 1d6 rounds.

You may use this ability in both your humanoid form and viper form. You may apply your sneak attack damage to the bite if applicable, even in viper form.

Finish the Feeble

At 13th level you have Advantage on your attack rolls against Poisoned enemies.

Poison Mist

At 13th level you gain the ability to spit out a thick poisonous mist in both your humanoid and viper form as an Action or your Cunning Action.

Choose a 15 foot cube within sixty feet of yourself. That area is covered in a poisonous mist. The mist obscures vision, and all creatues that are not resistant to poison and start their turn in a mist covered space must succeed an a Constitution Save or take 3d6 poison damage and be poisoned for 1d6 rounds.

The mist lasts for 1d4 rounds. If two clouds of mist overlap, any creatures inside multiple clouds are only affected by one.

Gaze of the Medusa

At 17th level your learn the ultimate serpentine skill - the petrification of enemies.

As an action, you may gaze at an enemy within 100 feet. If the enemy can see you, they must succeed on a Constitution save or take 10d6 poison damage and be Poisoned for one minute. If the enemy succeds on their save they take half damage and are not Poisoned. If the enemy is already Poisoned and they fail their save, they are Petrified.

Once you have used this ability you cannot do so again until you have completed a short or long rest.

Show

-This class is a lot more combat oriented than even most other rogue sub-classes. Aside from being able to transform into a Viper and Vizier (which is pretty much a 'fluff ability') pretty much everything is combat based. Still just being able to turn into a Viper at will has incredible utility, so odds are that's enough.

-This may be a little bit too strong. It's certainly quite powerful compared to other Rogue sub-classes anyway, especially with being able to make attacks with Cunning Action. Some of the abilities probably need a flat action economy nerf.

-The 'cap stone' of the class tried to be roughly comparable with Quivering Palm, but since it's only one action (albeit a conditional one) rather than two it might be a bit much.

5. - Top - End - #5

RedKnightGirl

This is a lot more elaborate from the previous ones. It is also probably the most problematic. By which I mean fun . Presenting the College of Mirth!

Spoiler: College of Mirth
    Show

College of Mirth

The jester is a time honored staple of any royal court. For as long as there have been wealthy and powerful people to entertain, so too have there been those who would entertain them. The way a jester produces such humor however is at the extent of others. Those of the College of Mirth possess a sharper tongue than any other bard, that can deliver japes and humilations that literally cut and wound the enemy. As a jester progresses, they also gain the ability to produce cosmic level jokes - what's more funny than being unlucky, after all?

Jester Magic

Whenever you cast a spell, you may expend one of your uses of Bardic Inspiration to add half the amount rolled rounding up to the DC of the save.

Killing Joke

At 3rd level, whenever a creature fails a save against a spell you cast you may roll a die equal to your Bardic Inspiration die and have that creature take that much psychic damage.

Pick a Card

At 6th level you may spend your Reaction whenever an opponent fails a saving throw within sixty feet of you to have them suffer an additional effect. Remove everything but the face cards and the Jokers from a deck of playing cards. Whenever you use this ability shuffle that deck, draw a card, and compare it to the table below to get your result. Shuffle the card back into the deck afterwards.

Spades - A pit materializes beneath the enemy. The creature is Restrained for one round.
    Clubs - An object materializes above the enemies head and drops onto it. The creature takes 1d8 bludgeoning damage.
    Diamonds - A dazzling light bombards the enemy. The creature is Blinded for one round.
    Hearts - The enemy is healed by curative magic. They recover 1d8 hp.
    Joker - The Joker torments you. You take 4d6 psychic damage.

Draw from the Deck

At 14th level you gain access to a weaker version of the Deck of Many Things. As an Action, you may either draw a card from the deck or have a willing adjacent creature draw from the deck. Shuffle your Pick a Card deck and draw from it, then compare it to the below table to get your result. Shuffle the card back into the deck afterwards unless it specifically states otherwise.

Jack of Spades - You may speak, understand and write all languages for the next 24 hours. You may cast Detect Thoughts at will for the next 24 hours.
    Queen of Spades - You obtain a portable hole.
    King of Spades - A hostile Balor is summoned five feet from you.
    Ace of Spades - Do not shuffle this card back into the deck. Choose a 7th level or lower spell from any spell list. You may cast that spell once per day, using the casting ability of whatever class the spell came from.

Jack of Clubs - Your weapon attacks deal an additional 1d6 bludgeoning damage for the next 24 hours.
    Queen of Clubs - Name a building you have previously seen. That building slowly collapses over the next hour until it is completely destroyed.
    King of Clubs - You and all creatures within a mile of you take 4d6 bludgeoning damage.
    Ace of Clubs - Do not shuffle this card back into the deck. You obtain a +3 Warhammer that deals an additional 2d6 thunder damage to any enemy it strikes.

Jack of Diamonds - You gain a +2 bonus to AC for 24 hours.
    Queen of Diamonds - An Iron Golem is summoned before you. It stays with you and serves you for 24 hours before returning from whence it came.
    King of Diamonds - The shining brightness of this diamond Stuns you for 24 hours.
    Ace of Diamonds - Do not shuffle this card back into the deck. You obtain 10,000gp in diamonds.

Jack of Hearts - You and up to six willing creatures within sixty feet of you are rejuvinated as though you had just completed a short rest.
    Queen of Hearts - You may cast Power Word Heal once within the next 24 hours without expending a spell slot.
    King of Hearts - The deck casts True Resurrection on the greatest foe you ever killed.
    Ace of Hearts - Do not shuffle this card back into the deck. The first time you would die after this card is drawn the deck casts True Ressurection on you.

Red Joker - Do not shuffle this card back into the deck. Name a creature on the same plane of existence as yourself. They die.
    Black Joker - You die.

You may only have one creature draw from the deck each week.

Show

-The original intent of this class was to double down on what the bard already did, rather than expand it's flexibility like the other two subclasses do. To this end it rewards you for debuffing the opponent, which fits much better into the jester theme than doubling down on supporting your allies which is the other 'bard niche'.

-Alright giving it the Deck of Many Things as a class feature is probably a bit much. A lot much. But it seemed like an incredibly flavorful and fun (in the Dwarf Fortress sense) feature to add as a cap stone. That said the exact results might need some fine tuning, even if it is only once per week.

-Having Pick a Card triggerable as many times a day as you have reactions might be a bit too much. Originally it was once per short rest with bigger effects, but it seemed fun so I made it at-will with a lower pay off. This might not have been the best decision.

6. - Top - End - #6

I love the flavor on the Collage of Mirth, it would exactly the kind of bard I'd like to play.
    I would give practical feedback but I don't have that much system mastery.
    Last edited by GorinichSerpant; 2014-11-12 at 11:44 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

RedKnightGirl

I love the flavor on the Collage of Mirth, it would exactly the kind of bard I'd like to play.
    I would give practical feedback but I don't have that much system mastery.
    Thank you kindly . I'll probably do another pass on it in the future to clean some things up, but I am glad how the Jester theme comes across strongly.

8. - Top - End - #8

RedKnightGirl

I should really change the name of the thread, buit the 'Several Days A Week On An Irregular Basis Subclas Workshop' doesn't have as good a ring to it.

Anyway, here's Aquaman:

Spoiler: Mariner
    Show

Mariner
    The sea is a bountiful and mysterous place. On it's surfact ships of explorers, traders and pirates abound. In it's depths monsters larger than entire continents lurk in wait. The mariner knows both the nurturing and punishing nature of the ocean better than anyone. Having all the tools necessary to be a sea monster in their own right, they explore the dark depths no-one else dare tread.

Embrace of the Sea

At 3rd level you become able to sustain yourself underwater. You gain the following benefits:

-You may breathe and speak underwater.
    -You gain a swim speed equal to your land speed.
    -You gain dark vision out to 60 feet. If you already have dark vision, your dark vision extends an additional 60 feet.
    -You gain proficiency with water vehicles.
    -You may apply the benefits of your favored enemy to any creature with a swim speed.
    -You may apply the benefits of your favored terrain to any aquatic environment.

Hook, Line and Sinker

At 3rd level you gain the ability to tie rope or chain to any melee weapons you possess. While attached to your weapon this way, you gain the ability to make melee attacks with that weapon at a distance of up to 5 feet away from you per Ranger level, or the length of the rope or chain attached to the weapon, whichever is lower. You may make Shove attempts when using your weapon this way.

Certain weapons such as whips might not be able to be used this way at the DMs discretion.

Sea Friend

At 9th level you may speak to animals with a swim speed at-will, as though you were under the effect of the Speak With Animals spell.

Trick Shot

At 9th level you gain a greater ability to attack with your bound weapon. Whenever you hit an enemy with your weapon, you may use your Bonus Action that turn to do one of the following:

Reel Them In - The enemy must win in an Athletics Contest or be pulled fifteen feet towards you.
    Wrap Them Up - The enemy must win in an Athletics Contest or be Restrained.
    Knock Them Down - You may Shove the enemy.
    Bounce It Off - You may make an attack with your weapon against a different target.

Allies of the Ocean

At 13th level you gain the ability to summon forth friends from the deep as an Action. You may choose to summon 3d6 pirhana, 1d10 dolphins, 1d6 sharks or a single blue whale. These creatures may breathe outside of water, and gain a fly speed equal to their swim speed.

Once you have used this ability you cannot use it again until you take a long rest. The creatures stay with you for one hour before returning from whence they came.

King of the Sea

At 17th level you are the undisputed master of the ocean. You have Advantage on all ability checks to interact with aquatic creatures, dwellers and environments.

In addition, double the number of creatures that would be summoned by your Allies of the Ocean ability.

Show

-This subclass might be a little underpowered. I tried to find a balance of situational but powerful abilities (like breathing underwater) with more generally usefully, less impressive abilities (like Hook, Line and Sinker) but the balance might be a bit off.

-I am not sure if Allies of the Ocean is powerful enough to warrant an entire 13th level and upgrade at 17th level, but it at least LOOKS very potent and impressive, so I kind of like it.

-I somehow feel that the sea based utility isn't pushed enough. I'm probably overthinking it, but I feel like one more utility ability crammed in somewhere would round the class out nicely.

9. - Top - End - #9

RedKnightGirl

Here's another one - a divine pact for warlocks.

Spoiler: The Forgotten Divine
    Show

The Forgotten Divine

You have made a pact with a minor or forgotten god. Major deities such as Boccob or Pelor would never make a pact with a warlock, instead operating through clerics and paladins. Some gods who have no worshipers however extend a greater part of their being to form a pact with a warlock, on the condition that they worship the god in return and act as their prophet. The most common tasks your patron would ask of you is to perform sacred rituals for them as they have no other worshipers to do so, converting the masses to their cause or building a temple in their honor. Since your patron is setting dependent consult your DM on what possible options might be.

Expanded Spell List

The Forgotten Divine lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

1st – Guiding Bolt, Protection from Evil and Good
    2nd – Aid, Spiritual Weapon
    3rd – Daylight, Spirit Guardians
    4th – Death Ward, Guardian of Faith
    5th – Commune, Insect Plague

Miracle Worker

Starting at 1st level you know the Cure Wounds and Healing Word spells, and may cast them using your warlock spell slots.

You may only cast a combined amount of Cure Wounds and Healing Words this way equal to half your warlock level before needing to take a long rest to do so again.

Divine Prophet

At 6th level you gain the ability to cast Augury, Clairvoyance, Locate Object and Zone of Truth once per week each. When casting these spells in this way you may ignore their material components.

Call to the Afterlife

At 10th level you learn the Raise Dead spell and may cast it using your warlock spell slots. Once per month you may ignore the material components of the spell.

Conjure Avatar

At 14th level you can summon a divine avatar of your patron. This functions as the Conjure Celestial spell, except the CR limit is half of your warlock level instead of 4.

Once you have used this feature you cannot do so again until you complete a long rest.

Spoiler: Author's Notes
    Show

-Hey, you know what's hard to reconcile? Healing magic and infinite spells per day. The solution is a bit of a hack, but it's pretty effective for what it does. They MAY still get to cast healing spells a bit too many times per day though. One 1-3 is fine, two at 4-5 is fine, but it sort of breaks down at the 10 or so mark when they cast 5+ healing spells per day as 5th level spell slots.

-The features may be a little bland. I wanted the warlock to be able to cast certain conditional but iconic cleric spells like raise dead and clairvoyance without having to waste any of their precious spells known, but as a result the class features don't have much flash to them. Except for the capstone, which...

-Might be a tiny bit overpowered. It's a free 7th level spell per day, which is fine... except it's significantly stronger. Limiting the original spell to level 4 or less Celestials seems odd. I guessed it was to limit summoning shenanigans, and since it's only once per day for the warlock the limit could be breached. But I don't have a MM, and this could be way too strong for all I know.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis Dread View Post
    Spoiler: Author's Notes
    Show

-Hey, you know what's hard to reconcile? Healing magic and infinite spells per day. The solution is a bit of a hack, but it's pretty effective for what it does. They MAY still get to cast healing spells a bit too many times per day though. One 1-3 is fine, two at 4-5 is fine, but it sort of breaks down at the 10 or so mark when they cast 5+ healing spells per day as 5th level spell slots.

-The features may be a little bland. I wanted the warlock to be able to cast certain conditional but iconic cleric spells like raise dead and clairvoyance without having to waste any of their precious spells known, but as a result the class features don't have much flash to them. Except for the capstone, which...

-Might be a tiny bit overpowered. It's a free 7th level spell per day, which is fine... except it's significantly stronger. Limiting the original spell to level 4 or less Celestials seems odd. I guessed it was to limit summoning shenanigans, and since it's only once per day for the warlock the limit could be breached. But I don't have a MM, and this could be way too strong for all I know.
    1. It doesn't work like that. You get a certain amount of spell slots which are recovered after 1 hours rest in which basically you have to stay in one place and not really do anything productive. You start with 1 and top out at 4. So even if you effectively give them as spells known it tops out at 4(5d8+5) healing individually as touch for an action or 4(5d4+5) individually at 60 feet as a bonus action.
    2. Well the problem is that rather than have a specific set of Patrons that embody what you have as a past you said well I am going to use the classic base idea of a cleric on a warlock and they can make up a deity to go with the character. I am not saying this to put you down or anything but that is where your issue lies because a made up deity's portfolio may look very different from this. Maybe rather than always referencing spells take a little of one and tweak it to make it a rechargeable ability. Also Raise Dead has a rather grim penalty which takes a while to recover from.
    3. It isn't, like so many spells it is concentration based and like most summoning spells it takes 1 minute time. It also only lasts for an hour. So what you are looking at is a spell that really only can be used for 1 major encounter that you know is going to happen immediately while taking up a critical buff or control slot for however long you use it. Additionally, it might go away if you take a decent sized hit. In reality it has least amount of bang for battle as it is suppose to be the variety summon spell that doesn't lash out if you lose it or don't command it. Conversely the Great Old One for the same amount of time can easily get a battle buddy of equal if not greater hit die strength as an effective familiar without any concentration.
    Last edited by Amnoriath; 2014-11-16 at 03:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Amnoriath View Post
    1. It doesn't work like that. You get a certain amount of spell slots which are recovered after 1 hours rest in which basically you have to stay in one place and not really do anything productive. You start with 1 and top out at 4. So even if you effectively give them as spells known it tops out at 4(5d8+5) healing individually as touch for an action or 4(5d4+5) individually at 60 feet as a bonus action.
    Unfortunately it gets a little bit more complicated than that when you factor in the short rest alternatives that are going to be in the DMs guide. At one hour rests it's fine, but at five minute rests it's at-will healing. I'm guessing that's why the only class that recovers healing power on a short rest is the Fighter, and they're limited to only healing themselves. That said it might be a bit of an over-reaction, but since it also gives the divine pact warlock extra spells known it seems fine.

2. Well the problem is that rather than have a specific set of Patrons that embody what you have as a past you said well I am going to use the classic base idea of a cleric on a warlock and they can make up a deity to go with the character. I am not saying this to put you down or anything but that is where your issue lies because a made up deity's portfolio may look very different from this. Maybe rather than always referencing spells take a little of one and tweak it to make it a rechargeable ability. Also Raise Dead has a rather grim penalty which takes a while to recover from.
    The lack of examples is a fair point yes. The problem is that pretty much all the forgotten gods I know of in DnD cosmology who would make a pact like this are... well, vestiges. Amon, Balam, Eurynome, Shax and Tenebrous (though he's problematic) would all work as patrons, but listing them as an example sort of sets the wrong expectations. I'm sure there's dozens of examples of 'minor gods that are no longer worshipped' in the DnD cosmology, but my knowledge there is kind of lacking.

That said you're right, I spent a bit too long making the warlock feel 'divine' and not really enough 'forgotten'. It should have a much closer link to their chosen deity without just pilfering from the cleric spell list. They get enough divine magic through their healing and their pact spells that I could afford to cut their 6th and 10th level features for something a little more flavorful. Maybe something that involves choosing a domain for a benefit.

3. It isn't, like so many spells it is concentration based and like most summoning spells it takes 1 minute time. It also only lasts for an hour. So what you are looking at is a spell that really only can be used for 1 major encounter that you know is going to happen immediately while taking up a critical buff or control slot for however long you use it. Additionally, it might go away if you take a decent sized hit. In reality it has least amount of bang for battle as it is suppose to be the variety summon spell that doesn't lash out if you lose it or don't command it. Conversely the Great Old One for the same amount of time can easily get a battle buddy of equal if not greater hit die strength as an effective familiar without any concentration.
    Huh, yeah that 1 minute casting time really kills it. I like the idea of it, but it needs to either be easier to use or operate off of different rules. The easiest solution would be to make it take only an Action to use no matter what, but there might be something similar I can replace it with.

Thanks for the feed back, it's very much appreciated.

12. - Top - End - #12

RedKnightGirl

So, went to tinker with the Forgotten Divine and realized that it was kind of unsalvageable as it was. The abilities were bland and the fluff was weak. But the actual concept of a divine warlock is a strong one - I was just basing it off the wrong archetype. I was basing it sort of around the concept of a sanctified warlock, when really the more iconic and flavorful archetype was staring me in the face - Ur-priest. So here's the totally revamped version. I'm keeping the older version in the thread to avoid confusing any discussion.

Spoiler: The Stolen Divine
    Show

The Stolen Divine

You gain your power by stealing it from a deity. For the most part to steal power from a god is an utterly wicked act, but just because the act is wicked it does not mean you are. Perhaps you believe the gods are uncaring and deserve to have their power stolen. Perhaps you are filtering your power from an evil god in order to weaken them. Or perhaps all you truly seek is power, and see taking it from the gods as the best way to obtain it. Whatever the case you are hated and feared among gods and their followers.
    Examples of patrons you could have are Boccob, Pelor, Loviator, Sune, Nerul and Vecna. Unlike with other warlocks your patron does not grant you power willingly - you are as a leech to them, and they would exterminate you given any opportunity.

Expanded Spell List

The Stolen Divine lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

1st – Guiding Bolt, Detect Evil and Good

Stolen Domain

Starting at 1st level you steal a domain from your patron to use for your own. Choose one of the benefits below that corresponds to a domain your patron possesses:

Death: Whenever you reduce a living creature to zero hit points, you may revive that creature as a Zombie or Skeleton as a reaction. While revived you can command it as a bonus action on each of your turns as long as it is within sixty feet of you. The undead is destroyed in 24 hours or when you use this feature again. Once you have used this feature you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.
    Knowledge: You gain proficiency with any one skill and any one tool of your choice.
    Life: You learn the Cure Wounds and Healing Word spells.
    Light: Whenever you hit an enemy with a spell attack, you may deal radiant damage to that enemy equal to your Charisma modfiier plus your warlock level. Once you have used this feature you cannot do so again until you take a short or long rest.
    Nature: Choose a cantrip and a spell of 1st level or lower from the Druid spell list. You learn these spells.
    Tempest: You can create a storm around you. As an action you may force all creatures within ten feet of you make a Constitution saving throw against your warlock spell save DC or be knocked Prone. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
    Trickery: You gain proficiency with Stealth. You learn the Minor Illusion cantrip.
    War: You gain proficiency with medium armor and martial weapons.

Divine Hatred

At 6th level you learn to counter the abilities of the divine beings that would hunt you. Choose one of the benefits below that corresponds to a domain your patron possesses:

Death: You gain resistance to necrotic damage.
    Knowledge: You learn the Counterspell spell if you don't already have it. You may cast this spell without expending a spell slot. Once you do, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest.
    Life: Whenever an enemy within sixty feet of yourself would be healed, you may spend your reaction to force them to make a Charisma save against your warlock spell save DC. If they fail they are not healed and take necrotic damage equal to the amount they would have been healed.
    Light: You gain resistance to radiant damage.
    Nature: Plants and Animals have disadvantage on their saving throws against your warlock spells.
    Tempest: You have advantage on your ability checks and saving throws against being Shoved, knocked prone or forcibly moved.
    Trickery: You see as though you are under the effect of a See Invisibility spell.
    War: Whenever you are damaged by a melee weapon you may spend your reaction to reduce the damage dealt by an amount equal to your warlock level plus your charisma modifier. Once you have used this ability you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Improved Stolen Domain

At 10th level you steal even more power from your patron. Choose one of the below benefits that corresponds to a domain your patron possesses:

Death: You may spend an action to make a touch attack using your warlock spell attack. If you hit, the enemy takes 8d8 necrotic damage. Once you have used this feature you must take a short or long rest in order to do so again.
    Knowledge: Choose a 4th level or lower spell from the Wizard spell list. You learn that spell.
    Life: You learn the Mass Cure Wounds spell.
    Light: You may spend an action to force all creatures in a 30 foot burst up to 100 feet from you to make a Dexterity save against your warlock save DC. These enemies all take 6d10 radiant damage, or half that if they succeeded on their save. Once you have used this feature you must take a short or long rest in order to do so again.
    Nature: Choose a 4th level or lower spell from the Druid spell list. You learn that spell.
    Tempest: You may cast the Control Weather spell without expending a spell slot once per week.
    Trickery: Enemies have disadvantages on their Sense Motive and Investigation ability checks against you and illusions you cast.
    War: Whenever you hit an enemy with an melee weapon attack, you may deal an additional 1d8 necrotic or radiant damage to that enemy.

False Miracle

At 14th level you can perform miracles. Since your patron is unwilling to perform these miracles for you you are very limited in the effects you can produce. Whenever you perform a false miracle, choose one of the effects below associated with one of your patrons domains to perform.

Death: Duplicate any one spell of the Necromancy school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.
    Knowledge: Duplicate any one spell of the Divination school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.
    Life: Duplicate any one spell of the Enchantment school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.
    Light: Duplicate any one spell of the Evocation school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.
    Nature: Duplicate any one spell of the Conjuration school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.
    Tempest: Duplicate any one spell of the Transmutation school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.
    Trickery: Duplicate any one spell of the Illusion school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.
    War: Duplicate any one spell of the Abjuration school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.

Once you have used this ability you must take a long rest before doing so again.

In addition, you have advantage on your saving throws against the spells and abilities of Celestials and Fiends.
    Last edited by Anubis Dread; 2014-11-20 at 01:43 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Flumph

Unfortunately it gets a little bit more complicated than that when you factor in the short rest alternatives that are going to be in the DMs guide. At one hour rests it's fine, but at five minute rests it's at-will healing. I'm guessing that's why the only class that recovers healing power on a short rest is the Fighter, and they're limited to only healing themselves. That said it might be a bit of an over-reaction, but since it also gives the divine pact warlock extra spells known it seems fine.

The lack of examples is a fair point yes. The problem is that pretty much all the forgotten gods I know of in DnD cosmology who would make a pact like this are... well, vestiges. Amon, Balam, Eurynome, Shax and Tenebrous (though he's problematic) would all work as patrons, but listing them as an example sort of sets the wrong expectations. I'm sure there's dozens of examples of 'minor gods that are no longer worshipped' in the DnD cosmology, but my knowledge there is kind of lacking.

That said you're right, I spent a bit too long making the warlock feel 'divine' and not really enough 'forgotten'. It should have a much closer link to their chosen deity without just pilfering from the cleric spell list. They get enough divine magic through their healing and their pact spells that I could afford to cut their 6th and 10th level features for something a little more flavorful. Maybe something that involves choosing a domain for a benefit.

Huh, yeah that 1 minute casting time really kills it. I like the idea of it, but it needs to either be easier to use or operate off of different rules. The easiest solution would be to make it take only an Action to use no matter what, but there might be something similar I can replace it with.

Thanks for the feed back, it's very much appreciated.
    1. But again, even with the DM fiat here what does that mean for battle? It simply means that they come in with full health at the beginning of an encounter or set of. It might be stepping on a cleric a little but arguably he has better buffs and controls to cast.
    2. Well, choosing a domain might be either stepping in on the cleric too much or it just feels like an ad hoc multiclass character. As such the best way to handle is actually to start from level 1 to create a flavorful ability to contact this lost god. In a way compared to the other Gods it probably can be far more eclectic in its but less in its abilities. This isn't to say that I want you to make a blueprint for people to create their god but just so that they know roughly what it is. Then at 6 you can compile a list of spells, one each level you can cast with Pact Magic. As an action you sacrifice a spell slot to call upon the power of them in which they cast one of those spells. Once this is done you must complete a short rest to use it again. Level 10 is generally a sort of passive ability in a specific are to either use it against someone or shifts around the passive ability a little bit. Something along the lines of a modified constant Enhance Ability except they select maybe 2 or 3 of the similar abilities to shift between with as a short or long rest sounds about right.
    3. Well, it is if you want the immediate encounter help and only intend it for that but if they are around for longer than it may be worth it. I am going to drop a link to some of my pacts. The first one probably needs a little work but the 2nd is probably a good standard of what a good Warlock out to look like. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...f-Other-Causes

14. - Top - End - #14

Flumph

So, went to tinker with the Forgotten Divine and realized that it was kind of unsalvageable as it was. The abilities were bland and the fluff was weak. But the actual concept of a divine warlock is a strong one - I was just basing it off the wrong archetype. I was basing it sort of around the concept of a sanctified warlock, when really the more iconic and flavorful archetype was staring me in the face - Ur-priest. So here's the totally revamped version. I'm keeping the older version in the thread to avoid confusing any discussion.

Spoiler: The Stolen Divine
    Show

The Stolen Divine

You gain your power by stealing it from a deity. For the most part to steal power from a god is an utterly wicked act, but just because the act is wicked it does not mean you are. Perhaps you believe the gods are uncaring and deserve to have their power stolen. Perhaps you are filtering your power from an evil god in order to weaken them. Or perhaps all you truly seek is power, and see taking it from the gods as the best way to obtain it. Whatever the case you are hated and feared among gods and their followers.
    Examples of patrons you could have are Boccob, Pelor, Loviator, Sune, Nerul and Vecna. Unlike with other warlocks your patron does not grant you power willingly - you are as a leech to them, and they would exterminate you given any opportunity.

Expanded Spell List

The Stolen Divine lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

1st – Guiding Bolt, Protection from Evil and Good

Stolen Domain

Starting at 1st level you steal a domain from your patron to use for your own. Choose one of the benefits below that corresponds to a domain your patron possesses:

Death: Whenever you reduce a living creature to zero hit points, you may revive that creature as a Zombie or Skeleton as a reaction. While revived you can command it as a bonus action on each of your turns as long as it is within sixty feet of you. The undead is destroyed in 24 hours or when you use this feature again. Once you have used this feature you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.
    Knowledge: You gain proficiency with any one skill and any one tool of your choice.
    Life: You learn the Cure Wounds and Healing Word spells.
    Light: Whenever you hit an enemy with a spell attack, they give off bright illumination for one minute. Whenever you hit an enemy that is giving off bright illumination with a spell attack, the illumination is extinguished and they take radiant damage equal to your charisma modifier plus your warlock level.
    Nature: Choose a cantrip and a spell of 1st level or lower from the Druid spell list. You learn these spells.
    Tempest: You can create a storm around you. As an action you may force all creatures within ten feet of you make a Constitution saving throw against your warlock spell save DC or be knocked Prone. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
    Trickery: You gain proficiency with Stealth. You learn the Minor Illusion cantrip.
    War: You gain proficiency with medium armor and martial weapons.

Divine Hatred

At 6th level you learn to counter the abilities of the divine beings that would hunt you. Choose one of the benefits below that corresponds to a domain your patron possesses:

Death: You gain resistance to necrotic damage.
    Knowledge: You learn the Counterspell spell if you don't already have it. You may cast this spell without expending a spell slot. Once you do, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest.
    Life: Whenever an enemy within sixty feet of yourself would be healed, you may spend your reaction to force them to make a Charisma save against your warlock spell save DC. If they fail they are not healed and take necrotic damage equal to the amount they would have been healed.
    Light: You gain resistance to radiant damage.
    Nature: Plants and Animals have disadvantage on their saving throws against your warlock spells.
    Tempest: You have advantage on your ability checks and saving throws against being Shoved, knocked prone or forcibly moved.
    Trickery: You see as though you are under the effect of a See Invisibility spell.
    War: Whenever you are attacked by a melee weapon you may spend your reaction to give the attacker disadvantage on their attack roll. Once you have used this ability you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Improved Stolen Domain

At 10th level you steal even more power from your patron. Choose one of the below benefits that corresponds to a domain your patron possesses:

Death: You may spend an action to make a touch attack using your warlock spell attack. If you hit, the enemy takes 8d8 necrotic damage. Once you have used this feature you must take a short or long rest in order to do so again.
    Knowledge: Choose a 4th level or lower spell from the Wizard spell list. You learn that spell.
    Life: You learn the Mass Cure Wounds spell.
    Light: You may spend an action to force all creatures in a 30 foot burst up to 100 feet from you to make a Dexterity save against your warlock save DC. These enemies all take 6d10 radiant damage, or half that if they succeeded on their save. Once you have used this feature you must take a short or long rest in order to do so again.
    Nature: Choose a 4th level or lower spell from the Druid spell list. You learn that spell.
    Tempest: You may cast the Control Weather spell without expending a spell slot once per week.
    Trickery: Enemies have disadvantages on their Sense Motive and Investigation ability checks against you and illusions you cast.
    War: You gain the Extra Attack feature.

False Miracle

At 14th level you can perform miracles. Since your patron is unwilling to perform these miracles for you you are very limited in the effects you can produce. Whenever you perform a false miracle, choose one of the effects below associated with one of your patrons domains to perform.

Death: Duplicate any one spell of the Necromancy school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.
    Knowledge: Duplicate any one spell of the Divination school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.
    Life: Duplicate any one spell of the Enchantment school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.
    Light: Duplicate any one spell of the Evocation school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.
    Nature: Duplicate any one spell of the Conjuration school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.
    Tempest: Duplicate any one spell of the Transmutation school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.
    Trickery: Duplicate any one spell of the Illusion school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.
    War: Duplicate any one spell of the Abjuration school that is 6th level or lower from any spell list.

Once you have used this ability you must take a long rest before doing so again.

1. The Light Stolen Domain and Life Divine Hatred abilities don't have a limit on them. Since they are both quite good you should consider once per short rest.
    2. The Light Improved Stolen Domain is worse than a Fireball spell you can cast so I would make it a constitution save and be Blinded if they fail while those sensitive to the light make the save with disadvantage.
    3. The War Divine Hatred feature is strictly worse than the Great Old One's Entropic Ward ability.
    4. The War Improved Stolen Domain is the latest single Extra Attack feature in the game and 5 levels later than the Thirsting Blade which does the same thing. So maybe let them choose a Fighter fighting style as well.
    Other than that you have an intriguing eclectic idea but I can't help but think there could be some constants between one of these Warlocks and another more so than just flavor. I think maybe in the capstone you should weave in advantage on saves against spells of a divine origin or something like that as the once a day abilities needs a little shoring up.
    Last edited by Amnoriath; 2014-11-17 at 10:25 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

RedKnightGirl

1. The Light Stolen Domain and Life Divine Hatred abilities don't have a limit on them. Since they are both quite good you should consider once per short rest.
    I was concerned about the light domain ability already, which is why it's so finicky and designed that you need to land two attacks to get the benefits. That said it's probably still too much, so replaced it with a flat one time boost.

I will have to strongly disagree about the Life Divine Hatred ability however. Enemies healing mid-combat is incredibly rare outside of regeneration, which is usually a small enough amount that the damage is almost meaningless. Plus they get a save. It's powerful, but it's so niche it will likely only be applicable in one of every three to five adventures.

2. The Light Improved Stolen Domain is worse than a Fireball spell you can cast so I would make it a constitution save and be Blinded if they fail while those sensitive to the light make the save with disadvantage.
    That's intentional. The issue with one time use abilities like this is that though they compete with the action economy of spells, they are IN ADDITION to the spells that a warlock already gets. As such these features have to effectively be balanced around giving a warlock an extra spell slot, which is tricky since that's way more powerful than any other ability you could give them.

I figured since it covers a wider area and is radiant damage, a much less commonly resisted damage type, it balances out to being usable. Even if it's restricted to 'blast it off to deal some big damage while saving a spell slot' that's fine, as it still has a potent use.

3. The War Divine Hatred feature is strictly worse than the Great Old One's Entropic Ward ability.
    Hm, that's problematic. I'm okay with it being weaker - the 'Ur-Priests' schlict is getting to pick and choose whatever abilities you want, so each ability HAS to be weaker in order for it to be remotely balanced - but I'm not really okay with it being directly comparible to another features like that. Changed to a sort of DR.

4. The War Improved Stolen Domain is the latest single Extra Attack feature in the game and 5 levels later than the Thirsting Blade which does the same thing. So maybe let them choose a Fighter fighting style as well.
    The idea was that Thirsting Blade and Extra Attack would stack, allowing the War focused Stolen Divine warlock to be a monster in melee by making three attacks each round. I'm hesistant to add anything extra on here as it's already anywhere between a 1d8 to 1d12 + strength modifier + potentialy charisma modifier boost to damage each and every round.

Other than that you have an intriguing eclectic idea but I can't help but think there could be some constants between one of these Warlocks and another more so than just flavor. I think maybe in the capstone you should weave in advantage on saves against spells of a divine origin or something like that as the once a day abilities needs a little shoring up.
    A minor fluff ability baked into their other featurs might be a good idea, I'll need to mull over what that means though. Maybe I should scrap False Miracle entirely to give way for an Improved Divine Hatred, but I kind of like the capstone as it is as well...

16. - Top - End - #16

Flumph

Hm, that's problematic. I'm okay with it being weaker - the 'Ur-Priests' schlict is getting to pick and choose whatever abilities you want, so each ability HAS to be weaker in order for it to be remotely balanced - but I'm not really okay with it being directly comparible to another features like that. Changed to a sort of DR.

The idea was that Thirsting Blade and Extra Attack would stack, allowing the War focused Stolen Divine warlock to be a monster in melee by making three attacks each round. I'm hesistant to add anything extra on here as it's already anywhere between a 1d8 to 1d12 + strength modifier + potentialy charisma modifier boost to damage each and every round.

A minor fluff ability baked into their other featurs might be a good idea, I'll need to mull over what that means though. Maybe I should scrap False Miracle entirely to give way for an Improved Divine Hatred, but I kind of like the capstone as it is as well...
    1. Why shouldn't it also apply against ranged weapons?
    2. Extra Attacks explicitly don't stack unless it is Fighter's third and fourth ones. Besides even if you changed it they get the third attack 1 level earlier than the Fighter. So, that is stepping on them a bit. This way they could free up an invocation for something else while getting a little bonus of their choice with no charge.
    3. I'm not saying you should but being a temporary effect restricted to a certain school I think that you should work in something a little more passive which defines this character. I was thinking here you could change the name a bit and a little something like I described.

17. - Top - End - #17

RedKnightGirl

1. Why shouldn't it also apply against ranged weapons?
    Since it's supposed to be an anti-cleric/paladin ability (as with all Divine Hatred abilities) it makes sense to make it melee only as the followers of a War god tend to like to get up close and personal rather than shoot you at range. That and it gives incentive for it to be picked up by bladelocks in particular, since they're more likely to want to get up close and personal to the enemy.

2. Extra Attacks explicitly don't stack unless it is Fighter's third and fourth ones. Besides even if you changed it they get the third attack 1 level earlier than the Fighter. So, that is stepping on them a bit. This way they could free up an invocation for something else while getting a little bonus of their choice with no charge.
    I think the Invocation technically stacks as it doesn't actually grant the Extra Attack feature but instead grants a bonus attack. That said the other points are relevant, replaced it with a flat damage boost.

3. I'm not saying you should but being a temporary effect restricted to a certain school I think that you should work in something a little more passive which defines this character. I was thinking here you could change the name a bit and a little something like I described.
    Technically it's restricted to between 2-4 schools, since unlike the other features you pick the associated domain when you USE the ability, rather than when you first gain it and are locked into that choice forever. Added a little something to sweeten it though. It's not going to come up much, but if you're fighting Celestials or Fiends it will be pretty potent.

18. - Top - End - #18

Flumph

I think the Invocation technically stacks as it doesn't actually grant the Extra Attack feature but instead grants a bonus attack. That said the other points are relevant, replaced it with a flat damage boost.

Technically it's restricted to between 2-4 schools, since unlike the other features you pick the associated domain when you USE the ability, rather than when you first gain it and are locked into that choice forever. Added a little something to sweeten it though. It's not going to come up much, but if you're fighting Celestials or Fiends it will be pretty potent.
    1. Yes it is an effective Extra Attack feature. Thisting Blade Invocation p 111
    "You can attack with your pact weapon twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn."
    "Similarly, the warlock’s eldritch invocation Thirsting Blade doesn’t give you additional attacks if you also have Extra Attack." Multiclass Rules p. 164
    2. Ah, okay the list seemed to say another single choice but it should be good now. Otherwise I think it should be ready to roll and arguably has a better Ur-priest feel than the actual one without the huge spell level bumps.

19. - Top - End - #19

RedKnightGirl

Druid subclasses are surprisingly difficult, but managed to bang one out.

Spoiler: Circle of the Preserver
    Show

Circle of the Preserver

Not all druids have the fortune to grow up in woods or mountains. Some only wished such things still existed. Toiling in wastelands where no life can exist, these druids seek to rectify a gross injustice that fate has put upon them. The Circle of the Preserver often take root in lands where magical calamity has fallen, or even where nature has simply given up and left nothing but a lifeless wasteland that couldn't even be called a desert. Their modus operandi is to make their lands habitable, and to ease the suffering of the animals, plants and people that reside upon it.

Wasteland Magic

Starting at 2nd level you gain the ability to cast spells with only the bare necessities. You may forgo the material components of druid spells and may cast druid spells without the use of a spellcasting focus. You must still pay for the material cost of spells with a material cost of more than zero, but you may pay this cost with anything of equal worth. You do not need the specific material listed.

Renew Land

At 2nd level you can perform a 10 minute ritual to cause one of the below effects. This affects an area of half a mile per druid level centered on yourself:

-You cause an inch of rainfall per druid level to fall as rain per day for the next week.

-You nourish the soil as though through the use of the 8 hour version of the Plant Growth spell. This nourishment lasts for half a year per druid level.

-All non-magical food and drink including still growing plants and standing water in range is purified as though through a Purify Food and Drink spell.

-Seeds are sowed in all untilled, fertile soil within range. You may choose a number of different types of plants equal to your druid level when you use this ability to sprout this way. These seeds grow three times as fast as normal, or thirty times as fast as normal if they are non-fruit bearing trees.

-All animals in range have a population boon, their population doubling within the chosen area over the course of the next year. This assumes no outside interference, and that the land can support this growth.

Once you have used this ability you must complete a long rest before doing so again.

Preserver Aura

When you reach 6th level you gain the ability to heal your allies. Whenever you cast a Druid Spell of 1st level or higher, you and all allies within sixty feet are healed for an amount of hp equal to the slot that spell was cast from. As ritual spells are not cast using spell slots, they do not trigger this ability.

Terraform

At 10th level you may add the below options to those given by your Renew Land feature:

-You create or purify enough air in the area for living creatures and plants to exist comfortably.

-You cause all plants and creatures in the area to be cured of all diseases.

-You effect the climate in the area. Reference the Control Weather spell, then choose stage 1 to 3 for precipitation, 2 to 5 for temperature and 1 to 3 for Wind. For the next half-year per druid level that is the new mean climate for the area in which you cast the spell.

-You transmute all barren earth to fertile earth. This includes changing sand to fine but fertile soil, powdering the top layer of rock on mountains or foothills into earth and removing any curses or magical effects that would stop plants from growing.

-Choose arctic, coast, desert, forest, grassland, mountain or swamp. All land in range is slowly changed to that type of environment over the next year. This only works if the climate in general can sustain the environment – you can't have a hot arctic environment, for example.

Origin of Species

At 14th level you gain the ability to creature true life. Choose an animal of CR 10 or lower. You summon a large number of the creature in a radius equal to a half a mile per druid level centered on yourself. These creatures are not necessarily friendly to the druid, but they are always indifferent at worst. The animals are distributed randomly in the area.

If you chose an animal of CR ¼ or less, you summon 50d100 of them. If you chose one of more than that but up to CR2, you summon 20d100 of them. If you chose one of a higher CR than that, you summon 5d100 of them. Once you have used this feature, you must complete a long rest before doing so again.

Some say that all species in the world originate from preservers performing magic like this to creature brand new life. If you like, discuss with your DM about creating new animals rather than conjuring existing ones.

Show

-In terms of raw combat ability, this is the weakest Druid subclass by far. The only combat feature it really gets is the Preserver Aura, and even that is more about incremental healing as the day goes on more than about actual combat healing.

-The druid gets surprisingly few spells that deal with things like fertilizing land or growing forests. Pretty much all of them are reference at some point during the text. As such this is actually a rather obvious niche to fill.

-Though it's not very combat focused, this is a surprisingly potent social class. Sure you don't get bonuses to social skills or anything, but being able to say 'hey, if you get me a meeting with the king I can end your drought in ten minutes' is a pretty potent bargaining chip.

-Although the subclass is designed to bring life to lifeless places as in places that deal with famine or drought, the Terraform abilities are designed to be so all encompassing you could make an asteroid inhabitable. Space druids ftw.

-Origin of Species probably doesn't do anything in many games, but in some it's an extremely potent away to bring back extinct or near extinct creatures, or feed people for generations to come. In others, it's a way to bring an old testimate frog plague on an uppity kingdom. Or you know, a mammoth plague. Because god knows how your enemies will deal with 5d100 mammoths just stomping around.

20. - Top - End - #20

RedKnightGirl

One class that always fascinated me back in 3.5 was the Maester. This was a class that appeared in one of the Dragonlance campaign books, so it was borderline if not ACTUAL third party. So no shame if you haven't heard of it. It was basically at its essence a mundane artificer - a crafting class that focused on the mundane rather than magical. There's this unique fun to crafting up your own items and arnaments. The artificer scratches a similar niche, but as where I couldn't even begin to make an artificer due to how complicated they are the maester was refreshingly simple.

I've kept this one on the back burner for a while, but figured now was as good a time to write up another fighter subclass - the Maester.

Spoiler: The Maester
    Show

Maester

Anyone can make a sword. At its essence it's just a sharp piece of metal with leather wrapped around the bottom after all. But not all swords are equal. One that is forged by an ameteur is a sharp club. One that is forged by a Maester can cut through the dragon scales with ease. A fighter who follows the path of the Maester becomes an expert at crafting the equipment of their comrades and themselves.

Tool User

At 3rd level choose three artisans tools of your choice. You gain proficiency with these tools. In addition, double your proficiency bonus to ability checks using artisan tools.

Expert

Starting at 3rd level you gain a Craft Pool you can use to craft items. You gain a number of craft points at the end of a long rest equal to your fighter level, and can store a maximum number of craft points in your Craft Pool equal to five times your fighter level. Whenever you gain a level, including when you gain this feature at 3rd level, you gain enough points to completely fill your Craft Pool.

You may expend craft points in order to create items without downtime, as long as you are proficient with and use the tools necessary to craft it. One craft point is equivalent to 1gp worth of crafting. By expending a craft point and working for one minute, you can crete an item worth 1gp or less. Alternatively you may put that 1gp towards a larger project. This works the same way as crafting does in down time. Items are not usable until you have fully crafted them, but you can keep an item partially crafted indefinitely.

You can only craft this way if you have materials available. In general however unless it's something ridiculous such as building a wooden boat in a treeless desert it should be assumed you can scrounge up materials from almost anywhere.

You can expend craft points to craft during downtime in addition to any other downtime activities you perform, even if that activity is more crafting.

Master Craftsman

Starting at 7th level you may craft masterwork items instead of regular items whenever you craft. Masterwork items are considered to cost five times as much to craft as their mundane equivalent, with the exception of consumables such as alchemist fire or healer kits which instead cost twice as much.

-Masterwork weapons give the wielder an additional +1 to attack and damage rolls with that weapon, and are considered magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

-Masterwork armor and shields give the wearer an additional +1 AC.

-Masterwork ammunition does not break when shot.

-Mastwork items that grant advantage on an ability check or a bonus to an ability check grant an additional +2 bonus. This includes tools.

-Masterwork items that would cause the enemy to make a saving throw or ability check grants the enemy disadvantage on that throw or check.

-Masterwork items that would heal or deal damage heal or deal twice that amount of damage.

-All masterwork items are five times as hard to break as normal.

You may upgrade an existing item to a masterwork version by crafting the difference between its base cost and masterwork cost.

Dilettante

Starting at 10th level you may craft items without proficiency with the tools necessary to do so. You cannot craft mastwork items in this way. You still need to use the right tool to craft the item, even though you aren't proficient with them.

Rapid Crafting

Starting at 10th level you craft much faster than normal. When crafting using a tool with which you are proficient, you may craft 2gp worth of item(s) for every 1gp or craft point of time you spend.

In addition, you may spend gp instead of craft points when crafting. When doing so you do not gain the benefits of the rest of your Rapid Crafting ability, but by spending a gp and a minute of work you can instantly craft 1gp worth of equipment. You may only use this ability while in a settlement.

True Maester

At 15th level you a paragon among craftmen. You may craft masterwork items without having to be proficient in the tool necessary to make them. You may also craft transcendent items, as long as you have the necessary tools to craft the item and are proficient with them. Transcedent items cost five times as much as their masterwork equivalent.

-Transcendent weapons give the wielder an additional +3 to attack and damage rolls with that weapon, and are considered magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

-Transcendent armor and sheilds give the wearer an additional +2 AC.

-Transcendent ammunition does not break when shot, and can be reclaimed after every battle even if doing so would normally be impossible.

-Transendent items that grant advantage on an ability check or a bonus to an ability check grant an additional +5 bonus. This includes tools.

-Transcendent items that would cause the enemy to make a saving throw or ability check forces the enemy to make that roll with disadvantage. This disadvantage cannot be cancelled by advantage.

-Transcendent items that would heal or deal damage heal or deal five times that amount of damage.

-All transcdent items are indestructible by anything less than spells of 9th level or higher, the supernatural abilities of creature of a CR of at least 16, being crushed by a creature of 30 or more strength, or adamantine.

You may upgrade a masterwork item to a transcendent item by crafting the difference between its masterwork cost and its transcendent cost.

Spoiler: Sidebar: Interacting with Masterwork
    Show

Some things are a little bit tricky to figure out in regards to masterwork. For instance, what does a masterwork ship really do? Is it just harder to break than normal, or is there some other benefit? In general questions like these should be left up to your DM. However, there are two questions that should be answered from the get go. That is:

How does masterwork interact with magic items?

Masterwork and magic are additive. Magic Weapon can be cast on a mastework item for a total of +2 to attack and +2 damage. You can upgrade a magic item into a masterwork magic item, and get the benefits of it being both magical and masterwork. When upgrading a magic item in this way, base the cost on a non-enchanted version of the item.

How does masterwork interact with poison?

It doesn't. In fact the Maester cannot craft poison at all. Even after getting the Dillente feature, a Maester can only craft items he could craft using artisan tools. Poison uses the poisoners kit to be crafted, which is not an artisan tool. As such masterwork poisons cannot be made, and normal poisons cannot be crafted by a Maester unless they gain access to proficiency with the poisoners kit from another source. Even if they did, they would not be able to use any of his subclass feature to expedite the crafting of poison.

Spoiler: Authors Notes
    Show

-This class is pretty potent if you have a LOT of downtime in a campaign, and only decent if you don't. As such YMMV on whether this class is nuts or just okay.

-That said, the idea of slowly but surely upgrading not just your own but everyones armor and weapons as you continue your adventures together is awesome. You may not have all the fancy tricks of a Battlemaster, but you're contributing a lot in your own way.

-Despite stating my love of the Maester, the class probably borrows more from the artificer than anything. The Craft Pool is effectively an artificer XP pool.

-There's a deceptive amount of utility in the Maester. They can effectively craft any item you could possibly need on the spot, from ball bearings to manacles in a matter of minutes.

-The gp to craft points ability of Rapid Crafting was added in late. I wanted there to be a nice way to convert extraneous wealth to raw power, but it was hard to peg where I should put it. In the end I decided to fold it into Rapid Crafting to avoid any confusion on how the two interacted. Whether this means the ability comes online too late or too early I can't say.

As always PEACH

21. - Top - End - #21

Brewing Supplies are artisan tools. There for a Maester can brew transcendent beer. Sweet.
    Last edited by GorinichSerpant; 2014-11-27 at 11:42 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

RedKnightGirl

Brewing Supplies are artisan tools. There for a Maester can brew transcendent beer. Sweet.
    Very! Unfortunately since beer doesn't have any mechanical effect it's only borderline indestructible, whatever that means. On the other hand it costs 10 times as much as regular beer, and unlike MOST beer of that cost it's actually worth it rather than being over priced

I did the math, and apparently a transcendent bottle of wine is worth 100gp. That's enough to live a comfortable lifestyle for fifty days, meaning it's about one seventh of the somewhat well to dos yearly earnings. That is definitely a good bottle of wine.

23. - Top - End - #23

Very! Unfortunately since beer doesn't have any mechanical effect it's only borderline indestructible, whatever that means. On the other hand it costs 10 times as much as regular beer, and unlike MOST beer of that cost it's actually worth it rather than being over priced

I did the math, and apparently a transcendent bottle of wine is worth 100gp. That's enough to live a comfortable lifestyle for fifty days, meaning it's about one seventh of the somewhat well to dos yearly earnings. That is definitely a good bottle of wine.
    Despite the little mechanical benefit, this could be a great item for several situations. You could pass out samples at an auction house and then sell a full bottle to the highest bidder, you could offer a gift of legendary mead to sway the opinion of a dwarven king, or even a god, it could be very strong but drinks like water, allowing you to get some people very drunk, quickly and subtly. Of course, this all would require the DM's approval, but if your spending your hard earned gold and craft points, why not let something like this work once or twice.

24. - Top - End - #24

RedKnightGirl

This subclass is pretty much the poster child for 'idea is awesome, number might need fine tuning'. The Dungeon Crasher for barbarian looks FUN, but it might be dealing a touch too much damage.

Spoiler: Dungeon Crasher
    Show

Dungeon Crasher

Walls are pitiful things to throw things into. Doors are meaningless pieces of wood to throw things into. Solid steel is an annoying obstacle to throw things into. A barbarian that follows the path of the dungeon crasher is someone who believes the solution to any problem is to knock it down, over, or out. To be fair, when you follow the path of the dungeon crasher such solutions do tend to solve most issues.

Bash and Crash

Starting at 3rd level you can push an enemy whenever you hit them with a melee attack while raging. The enemy must succeed on a Strength save of a DC equal to your proficiency modifier + your strength modifier or be pushed a number of feet equal to five times your strength modifier. If they succeed on their save they are pushed only half as far, rounding down to the nearest five feet.

If the enemy hits a solid object such as a door, pillar or wall while being shoved this way they take 1d6 + your strength modifier damage and are knocked prone. The object they are knocked into take 1d6 damage for every five feet that remained in the enemies 'flight' before they hit the object, plus your strength modifier.

Hulking Hurler

At 6th level you may use an attack action to throw an enemy you have grabbed in any direction as though they'd been pushed by your Bash and Crash ability, even while not raging. The enemy does not get their saving throw if thrown in this way.

Smash!

At 10th level you may use your Bash and Crash ability even while not raging. In addition, you gain the following effects while in a rage:

-The distance you push an enemy with Bash and Crash is doubled.
    -Whenever you begin a rage, you may become large in size. Your equipment still works while large sized including your armor, but your weapon does not resize to deal more damage.
    -The damage you deal to objects is doubled.

Bloody Billiards

Starting at 14th level the targets you shove with Bash and Crash can continue to move even after hitting an object. When an enemy pushed with Bash and Crash hits an object and that object is destroyed from the damage, the target continues to move the remaining spaces it would have moved if it didn't hit that object. If the enemy hits another object, this process happens again until the target either is pushed the full distance or the object it hits does not break.

In addition whenever you push a target through a space with another creature with your Bash and Crash, that creature must succeed on a Strength save or be pushed the remaining distance along with the first one. The creatures occupy the same spaces until they 'land', after which they take up the nearest available spaces.

Show

-Dear gods this looks fun. Pushing the enemy with every attack, kicking them around like soccer balls... it looks hilariously awesome.

-That said, the damage might be a bit high. Assuming 20 strength a barbarian can knock an enemy either 25 or 50 feet. If they hit a wall or object right away this is 5d6 or 10d6 damage. Some barbarians will have even more strength than that, especially while raging, meaning the damage can get nuts! If the extra damage can compete with Sneak Attack it's probably a sign it needs to be taken down a notch.

-The damage is conditional though. In a small room the Dungeon Crasher will be dealing close to max damage all the time. In an open field he'll instead just be pushing enemies maximum distance all the time... which is absolutely HILARIOUS, but not nearly as overpowering damage wise. Since the damage is conditional, it's hard to balance around.

-Then again, there are no good solutions to the problem. 1d4 damage looks funny, a flat 1 damage is too small and 1d6 per 10 feet can be awkward.
    Last edited by Anubis Dread; 2014-12-03 at 09:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

I'll edit in some critiques of the dungeon crasher, but I have a request. I need a fourth subclass for me homebrew class or at least a rework to the third one:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...dmage-homebrew

The pushing itself is powerful enough. I would make it a flat 1d6 + str mod damage and knocked prone if they hit an object. It's also more elegant that way.

Growing to large size is problematic. It lets the barbarian threaten more squares and a lot of effects either don't affect large creatures or give large creatures an advantage to saves against them. I would make it: When you make a grapple check while raging, you are considered one size category larger.
    Last edited by bloodshed343; 2014-12-03 at 09:20 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by bloodshed343 View Post
    I'll edit in some critiques of the dungeon crasher, but I have a request. I need a fourth subclass for me homebrew class or at least a rework to the third one:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...dmage-homebrew
    I'll look it over and critique what you have. Making a subclass of a homebrewed class for the next project might actually be pretty fun. Though of course I haven't read it yet, so I can't really say for sure yet.

The pushing itself is powerful enough. I would make it a flat 1d6 + str mod damage and knocked prone if they hit an object. It's also more elegant that way.
    Honestly you're probably right. As fun as it is to deal lots of damage because you knocked the opponent SO FAR... it doesn't really work like that. It actually rewards just banging the opponent against the wall, which takes away all the fun of knocking enemies around. I'll patch in your fix and modify a few things accordingly.

Growing to large size is problematic. It lets the barbarian threaten more squares and a lot of effects either don't affect large creatures or give large creatures an advantage to saves against them. I would make it: When you make a grapple check while raging, you are considered one size category larger.
    Hm, I didn't consider the increase in threat range. People still only get one AoO per turn unless using the optional Marking rules from the DMG though, so it seems fine. Most of those effects are PC based as well - aside from monsters that grapple, which this is supposed to deal with, there aren't many monster effects that are restricted by size.

27. - Top - End - #27

Thanks for looking it over =D

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

This subclass is pretty much the poster child for 'idea is awesome, number might need fine tuning'. The Dungeon Crasher for barbarian looks FUN, but it might be dealing a touch too much damage.

Alright, first post on GITP, so please bear with me on this. I've been reading the forums for a bit now and have now decided to speak up and offer my perspective.

Bash and Crash

Starting at 3rd level you can push an enemy whenever you hit them with a melee attack while raging. The enemy must succeed on a Strength save of a DC equal to your proficiency modifier + your strength modifier or be pushed a number of feet equal to five times your strength modifier. If they succeed on their save they are pushed only half as far, rounding down to the nearest five feet.

If the enemy hits a solid object such as a door, pillar or wall while being shoved this way they take 1d6 + your strength modifier damage and are knocked prone. The object they are knocked into take 1d6 damage for every five feet that remained in the enemies 'flight' before they hit the object, plus your strength modifier.
    I would make the push mechanic only able to go off once a round (similar to the rouges SA and the Hunter's Colossus Slayer) this way you can keep your flavor of rag dolling people about without the result of double tapping them against the wall. The ability to knock prone and gain more damage + Adv is VERY strong and would make me question why would I even bother trying to go Berserker or Totem.

For the damage from smacking creatures into walls, I would reword it as a separate feature so that if the player physically pushes a creature (lets say the charger feat) they can still get their 'Crash' damage. So the 'Smash' is the throw while the 'Bash' is the impact.

Could there be an explanation for what happens when you throw one creature at another with Bash and Crash? I saw something of a description for it in the 'Bloody Billiards' area describing the movement portion. But would the initial target take Weapon Damage + Crash Damage while the catcher receives only the Crash Damage?

I loved the dungeon crasher from 3.5 and would love to give this a try.

Considering that the Totem path doesn't get knockdowns (size limited, no saves) until its 14th level installment, I would remove the knockdown feature from the initial feature and just have it 'upgrade' into the save required knockdown at 10th level.

As for the size increase, I agree that handing out more reach might be an issue and remove the need to chase your prey as far. I would make it so they count as larger for the purposes of pushing and grappling.

On a final note, the imagery from the description of the path's capstone is friggen' genius.

29. - Top - End - #29

Shouldn't the size of the opponent have some effect on the barbarian's ability to push and throw?

He can plausibly out-muscle plenty of large creatures and some huge creatures.

Also being able to push anything even if it makes it's save seems crazily overpowered, especially near cliffs, bridges, etc.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eleazzaar View Post
    Shouldn't the size of the opponent have some effect on the barbarian's ability to push and throw?

He can plausibly out-muscle plenty of large creatures and some huge creatures.

Also being able to push anything even if it makes it's save seems crazily overpowered, especially near cliffs, bridges, etc.
    By jove...a barbarian could smash a dragon through a wall in their own lair...

Hulk needs to smash.