New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Squish's Squiggles [Lern 2 Draw Noob]

Today's thing is a very quick scribble. It's a bag. Specifically, a Ha-ah, a traditional rocky mountain sasquatch bag from the crossroad setting. It's designed to be very practical. The bag durable treated leather, and closes securely with a trio of pin-and-loop latches, and it comes with a wide band with slits cut into the leather. The idea is the strap lies flat, but you can push at a slit to create a gap through which one could slide part of an item or tool to be held securely where it can be easily retrieved, while you use both your hands for climbing. There's also little bone hooks, sorta shaped like the number 3, made so you can slip one end into a loop to anchor securely and hook any object with a suitable hole on the other end to hang off it.

Anyways, I drew it because I was trying to make sure I had the details down in my head.
    Spoiler: Day 3
    Show
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32

Realized it was 11:00, and I had to sleep. Realized I didn't draw. Drew a sunfish.
    Weird fish. Big fish.

Spoiler: Day 4
    Show
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Today's drawing is kind of lame, but I felt it an important task, if not that was particularly successful.
    The goal was to draw circles. Just circles. Quick, one-pass circles. The ultimate goal being able to actually be able to draw a circle without needing to stop what I'm going and draw/erase/draw/erase/draw/erase a thousand times just to get a half-decent circle.
    Results weren't great.
    Circles are way harder than they look. Way harder. Our hands aren't made to do that motion.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Circles are way harder than they look. Way harder. Our hands aren't made to do that motion.
    Glad it's not just me.

It happened again.
    Now I'm drawing memes, apparently.
    I wanted to freehand a circle. Next thing I knew it was a spiral and then...

This.
    Spoiler: Day 5
    Show
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

I applaud your efforts! You inspire me to once again wield the mighty #2! If you want to succeed, fail faster!

Things you might want to google in the near future:
    How to draw a snake (or cables, or rope, or doc-ock tentacles.)
    How to draw horns (same kind of concept)
    Facial proportions
    Perspective
    Foreshortening
    Reflected highlights

posemaniacs.com is good for foreshortening because it gives you camera angles that are hard to get in real life. However, cuz it's a digital rendering, some of the poses are a little stiff and unnatural. (some of sitting poses especially)
    If you want to draw more natural poses here's a site that has pics of real models:
    http://www.quickposes.com/

Good luck! (an ditto on the circles, hard and boring, but important!)

6. - Top - End - #36

Well, I'm getting the 'fail faster' part, at least. Again, I have failed to keep up with the daily drawings. I am going to have to change my habits to make it happen.

I'm going to start doing the daily drawings right after my lunch on the weekdays, which will hopefully instill a little more regularity into the arrangement. I'll be trying to get drawings out on the weekends, but that's no longer guaranteed.
    I just hope that getting it into the schedule in a concrete way will help me get it done regularly.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37

Revisiting a previous subject matter, but with a little more sophistication and organization.
    Once again, I'm drawing one of my most recent homebrew creations, which have recently been named Thirtysixes.
    Anyways, two whole pages! Three if you could the one I traced the white-paper one from.
    Spoiler: Day 1 v 3
    Show

Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2014-11-28 at 08:14 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh no! You failed already. D:
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Oh no! You failed already. D:
    I know!
    It is becoming apparent that I am not good at keeping a schedule...
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I know!
    It is becoming apparent that I am not good at keeping a schedule...
    The trick to doing this daily is to understand there is no bottom limit to time spent and quality.

Some days you work 9 to five and then your friends drag you out for drinks and you get home exhausted, watch an episode of Death Note, and realise it's 11:45.

Then you just draw four triangles and some circles on a hunk of note paper and call it a day. I've done that plenty of times and each time I do it it's like, 'urgh, gonna do better tomorrow, this is embarrassing'.

It's all about the psychological tricks involved in motivating yourself. Finding those out is a life skill.