New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Heavy Armor Sword & Board Investigator?

I wanted to write up a warrior who is incredibly well read and quick of wit, who has an encyclopedic knowledge of monsters and their weaknesses and wades into battle clad in steel and wielding sword and shield. Funny enough, the Investigator seems to be pretty good for this concept, with studied strike and inspiration being pretty useful, and extracts being somewhat favorable for a campaign setting where alchemy is by far the most common form of magic. There isn't anything in the Investigator class that out and out discourages heavy armor and a shield (other than the fact that I have to be careful about when to use extracts, since I lack a free hand when fighting), so I dipped a level of Fighter at first level to get heavy armor, shield, and martial weapon proficiency, 10 HP, and Power Attack. So, here's what I came up with at level 6, with 16000 gold:

Sheet

Did I do good with the build? Is there anything I should change to fit my concept of being really good at identifying monsters (and coming up with useful facts outside combat) and fighting, and reasonably good in social situations? Is there some disadvantage to heavy armor and shield as an Investigator that I have missed? How is this build liable to hold up as a primary melee damage dealer?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Heavy Armor Sword & Board Investigator?

Yes, there is no drawback at all to putting an Investigator into heavy armor (other than the inherent drawbacks of wearing heavy armor). You have no class features that are limited by wearing it, and you can fully use Alchemy Extracts in Armor.

However, i would swap out your Heavy Shield for a Light Shield - that way, you can use that hand to drink potions and extracts (since you can wield items with it, just not weapons).

For magic items, i would recommend a Investigators Hat as soon as you can afford it.
    Identify a non-humanoid creature as a free action to get a free use of Inspiration against it.

Otherwise, the build seems fine at a glance.
    Last edited by Serafina; 2014-11-09 at 05:06 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't really know the investigator class, but just glancing it over, wouldn't knowledge devotion be an obvious choice for such a character?
    Spoiler: How to fix T1 classes:
    Show
    There are more posts on the forums about how to nerf T1, than there are posts about T1 characters ruining games. I would say the problem is solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    This? This isn't a slice of brilliance. This is the whole freaking pie.

When you play the game of pwns, you're either w1n or n00b. There is no middle ground.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    I don't really know the investigator class, but just glancing it over, wouldn't knowledge devotion be an obvious choice for such a character?
    Only if 3.X material is available in this Pathfinder game.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?