New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Solo campaign - Investigator needs a level dip to kick some ass?

Solo campaign first session was done the other day. It all went fairly well but I feel like I'm lacking any potency in combat.
    Was thinking maybe a level dip into rogue and picking up improved feint?
    Otherwise, how can I truly improve my combat potency?
    Any other advice would be appreciated too.

This is the current character:

Human
    (silver-tongued)

STR 12
    DEX 18
    CON 14
    INT 18
    WIS 12
    CHA 14

Languages:
    Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Orc

Traits:
    Reactionary: You gain a +2 trait bonus to initiative.
    Clever wordplay: Choose one charisma-based skill. You attempt checks with that skill using your intelligence modifier instead of your charisma modifier. (Diplomacy)

Investigator 1-
    HP: 11
    Initiative: +6 (Reactionary +2, Dex +4)
    Attack: +4 (BAB +0, Dex +4)
    Damage: 1d6+1 (sword cane) OR 1d4 (hand crossbow)
    AC: 18 (Chain shirt +4, Dex +4)
    FORT: +2 (Con +2)
    REF: +6 (Investigator +2, Dex +4)
    WILL: +3 (Investigator +2, Wis +1)
    Inspiration: 5 points
    Investigator: Trapfinding
    Feat: Weapon finesse
    Bonus feat: Combat expertise

Extracts:
    1st level – 2 per day – Cure light wounds, disguise self, enlarge person, long arm, reduce person, shield.

Skills:
    Bluff- +8 (+1 rank, +3 class skill, +2 silver tongued, Cha +2)
    Craft (alchemy)- +9 (+1 rank, +3 class skill, +1 competency bonus, Int +4)
    Diplomacy- +10 (+1 rank, +3 class skill, +2 silver tongued, Int +4)
    Disable device- +8 (+1 rank, +3 class skill, Dex +4)
    Knowledge (arcana)- +8 (+1 rank, +3 class skill, Int +4)
    Knowledge (engineering)- +8 (+1 rank, +3 class skill, Int +4)
    Knowledge (history)- +8 (+1 rank, +3 class skill, Int +4)
    Perception- +5 (+1 rank, +3 class skill, Wis +1)
    Sense motive- +5 (+1 rank, +3 class skill, Wis +1)
    Stealth- +8 (+1 rank, +3 class skill, Dex +4)
    When you use 'Unnatural Lust' on every enemy in the room and they don't stop kissing when the spell expires

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Solo campaign - Investigator needs a level dip to kick some ass?

Investigators gain their major boost in combat efficiency at level 4, where they gain half their level to attack and damage from Studied Combat.
    So the first answer is "wait until 4th level".

Dipping can of course also help a lot. How and what to dip depends on how you want to fight.

If you want to fight via Weapon Finesse, a Dip into Swashbuckler is highly recommended. Take the Inspired Blade Archetype, and a one-level dip nets you the following:
    Weapon Finesse and Weapon Focus with the Rapier. Take the Fencing Grace feat to add Dexterity to your damage too. An Intelligence-based Panache-pool. Deeds to avoid or parry melee attacks, as well as a boost to acrobatics and co.

When you are Dexterity-focussed, picking up Two-Weapon Fighting for an additional attack can be worth it when you can spare the feat - more attacks mean more damage from Studied Combat.

I would not recommend dipping Rogue. You don't need Sneak Attack for damage, you already gain that from Studied Combat and Studied Strike - without the high costs that are required to set up Sneak Attacks reliably.
    For the same reason, Improved Feint is pretty much a waste - you will be able to hit reliably anyway later on, and more attacks equal more damage.
    Last edited by Serafina; 2014-11-09 at 05:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

I'd look into Master of Many Styles and/or Unarmed Fighter for Kirin Style, which I like for playing into the RDJ Sherlock Holmes fantasy. It makes your studied strike really pack a punch, for relatively little additional action economy (As far as I know, Investigators aren't hurting for swift actions in combat).

4. - Top - End - #4

Kirin Style really eats through your swift actions.
    With the Quick Study talent, you can use those to set up Studied Combat.
    Then you would have to enter the stance of Kirin Style, which is necessary for all Style-Feats and has to done each combat.
    THEN you have to use Kirin Style to study the target as a Swift Action.
    And only then you can use your Swift Actions to apply ~8 extra damage per round.

So you have to wait until the fourth round of any combat to gain extra damage. That's assuming the target doesn't die in between, since you then have to spend another two swift actions to study it (once with Studied Combat, once with Kirin Style).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Serafina View Post
    Kirin Style really eats through your swift actions.
    With the Quick Study talent, you can use those to set up Studied Combat.
    Then you would have to enter the stance of Kirin Style, which is necessary for all Style-Feats and has to done each combat.
    THEN you have to use Kirin Style to study the target as a Swift Action.
    And only then you can use your Swift Actions to apply ~8 extra damage per round.

So you have to wait until the fourth round of any combat to gain extra damage. That's assuming the target doesn't die in between, since you then have to spend another two swift actions to study it (once with Studied Combat, once with Kirin Style).
    True, I was going on the assumption of no Quick Study, meaning your combat would go something like

Round 1: Drop into Kirin Style > Study target > Attack (sword or crossbow)
    Round 2: Kirin Style to identify > move to engage > melee attack (gaining studied combat bonuses)
    Round 3 or 4: Move action of choice > melee attack > swift action Kirin Strike > free action Studied Strike (I'd wait until round 4, but to each their own)

Kirin Style has the additional utility of functioning on ranged attacks (where the investigator is lacking), as well as multiplying on a critical hit.

6. - Top - End - #6

Actually a Investigator can work fine with ranged attacks, they just need to invest two feats to do so: Weapon Focus and Ranged Study.
    While Ranged Study limits Studied Strike to 30 feet, Studied Combat receives no such limitation - and half-level to attack and damage is pretty good for an archer!

And sure, you can still use Studied Combat as a move action - but that means one less round of full attacking, which doesn't exactly make Kirin Style more attractive.

If you can convince your GM that the studying of Kirin Style also counts as the activation required for the style, it becomes somewhat better. It's also great if you want to go for single devastating attacks.