New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Can you give me an example of optimized 20th level play?

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Edit: And, when challenged on it, you can argue that the length of time between fwooshes should be more than sufficient as a weapon identifier.
    No way, man - obviously, you do different sound effects for each weapon. At least, that's what you claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

This sounds to me like a case of hazing the new guy. If the Wizard is using Ice Assassins I can't imagine him not having at least a few that are as good or better than you and which are near or above your damage output. Apart from anything else it's trivial to make an Ice Assassin of you (or an Ice Assassin of that Ice Assassin if he's worried about the first one trying to fulfill its purpose because he didn't word his orders carefully enough). You can't even be looking cooler doing it, because, again, the Wizard can just make an Ice Assassin that looks at least as cool.

Some DMs who don't really understand optimization do get bent out of shape about damage, but I don't think that's what's going on here. I think the DM's just picking on you because he wants you to be useless (even moreso than being a melee person in a 20th level party with a relatively optimized Wizard) while the other players that he's already friends with run the show.

I'd recommend talking to the DM (without being too accusatory) to try and figure out what's up. But this seems to go beyond any conceivable degree to which it could just be a lack of understanding.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

What is the wizard, erm, doing with his ridiculous class features and simulacrums and such? Because he could have used melee buffs to out-damage your character back at 8th level. It could very well be that no one else really knows what they're doing, so you might be OP relative to your group. You can lead a player to ridiculous OP classes, but you can't make him break it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    No way, man - obviously, you do different sound effects for each weapon. At least, that's what you claim.
    And then you can act deeply offended when they don't recognize the difference in your wooshes, perhaps weeping as you make futile wooshing sounds. This is a whole new form of char op.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    And then you can act deeply offended when they don't recognize the difference in your wooshes, perhaps weeping as you make futile wooshing sounds. This is a whole new form of char op.
    Crying,
    the best optimization trick since contingent spells.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature