New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 36 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Choose Your Own Adventure: Urban Fantasy Edition

I've been getting an itch to play some urban fantasy, but for reasons beyond the scope of this thread, getting a group together for some RPG action isn't feasible right now. Solution? Lets play a Choose Your Own Adventure Game! Should be good for a little entertainment. A little itch-scratching. Not as good as the real thing, but we can have some fun.

Here's how it works. I post what's going on in the world around the main character, and then a series of potential actions the main character could take. You all vote on one of those actions OR you can vote for an action of your own devising and hope the other posters rally behind it. The action with the most votes at the time that I begin writing the next post will be the one taken. Updates will be however often I can manage.

Sometimes there will be multiple things to vote on in a single post. Everyone gets one vote per thing to vote on.

In addition to voting, anyone can post ">What do I know about [x]?" to extract in-character information that the main character would know.

Setting-wise, we'll be using a fictional American city, since I think that'll go a bit smoother than trying to use a real one for a backdrop. It's modern day. A little earlier than 2014, but we still have cellphone cameras. And I'll be using the Dresden Files Roleplaying Game for everything under the hood. Don't worry about lack of rules or setting information. Stats and dice rolling will all be handled by yours truly, and you're welcome to learn about the setting as the main character does. But if you like Buffy The Vampire Slayer or Vampire The Masquerade, you're halfway there anyway.

As for character creation, we'll work that out through the choices the playground makes. Just keep in mind that you can't be good at everything, choosing to be amazing in one way will close options to be amazing in other ways. And if you end up crappy at everything, that just leaves a lot of room for growth.

So, anyway, without further ado, lets get this show on the road.

---

The light of the morning sun casts itself across your eyes. You stir for a moment and then awaken...

Choice 1
    >...in the master bedroom of my palatial manse. The servants have already finished preparing breakfast, and I can smell it all the way from here.
    >...in the master bedroom of my house. My husband is already in the shower, and the kids are still asleep.
    >...in the master bedroom of my house. My wife is already in the shower, and the kids are still asleep.
    >...in the bedroom of my apartment. I can hear that one of my roommates is up already.
    >...in the bedroom of my apartment. It's dead quiet, except for the odd early commuter driving by on the streets below.
    >...in my studio apartment. It's tiny, but it's mine.
    >...in an alleyway. The stench is incredible. My head is a bit too fuzzy to remember why I'm laying here.
    >...in an alleyway, on top of some old linens and cardboard. Home sweet home.

As consciousness floods you, there is a brief moment where your mind reaches back at the warm, fleeting darkness. Sleep is nice. But there's work to be done, so you rise nonetheless. You find yourself getting up this morning because...

Choice 2
    >...there's money to be made.
    >...there's justice to be done.
    >...I have obligations to my family.
    >...I have obligations to my job.
    >...I have a debt that needs to be paid.
    >...I have class in an hour.
    >...some day soon, I won't be able to.

Character Sheet
    Spoiler
    Show

Nothing to see here. You're a blank slate right now.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Choose Your Own Adventure: Urban Fantasy Edition

Alright, I'll bite. Sounds fun.

Choice 1:
    ...in an alleyway. The stench is incredible. My head is a bit too fuzzy to remember why I'm laying here.

Instant noir!

Choice 2:
    ...there's justice to be done.

Some of the other options may be more compelling, but when I read this one "For Great Justice!" just stuck in my head and wouldn't go away.
    If I had a +1 Pan of Frying I could totally do that!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Choice 1
    ...in my studio apartment. It's tiny, but it's mine.

Choice 2
    ...there's money to be made.

You said you were using the Dresden Files RPG, I couldn't help but model it a bit off Harry Dresden
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drakefall View Post

Choice 1:
    ...in an alleyway. The stench is incredible. My head is a bit too fuzzy to remember why I'm laying here.

Instant noir!

Choice 2:

Some of the other options may be more compelling, but when I read this one "For Great Justice!" just stuck in my head and wouldn't go away.
    I will back this choice, in the name of Justice!

5. - Top - End - #5

ElfPirate

Wife and kids
    debt to be paid
    Hmm, seem to have left the last letter out of my name I wonder if I can change that somehow...

Vestige by Marlowe http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...2&postcount=70

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Choice 1:

Instant noir!

Choice 2:

Quote Originally Posted by GorinichSerpant View Post
    I will back this choice, in the name of Justice!
    Justice. I approve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baptor View Post
    You never go full Samson.
    My 5e Homebrew:

The Bashou-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...8#post18198938

The Episcan-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...in-No-Episcan!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Eh, alright, why not

Choice 1
    >...in my studio apartment. It's tiny, but it's mine.

Choice 2
    >...I have class in an hour.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Choice 1:

Choice 2:
    +1 for this one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    And don't forget that a lack of skills needn't be a problem - in a pinch, BAB can substitute for a lot of skills! Diplomacy ("If you be friend, me no stab in face"), Hide ("If you no see, me no stab in face"), Move Silently ("If you no hear, me no stab in face"), Open Lock ("Me stab lock in face with adamantine dagger"), Heal ("Me stab you in face until you no dying anymore"), Climb ("Me stab rock face"), and so on!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

>...in the bedroom of my apartment. It's dead quiet, except for the odd early commuter driving by on the streets below.

>...I have class in an hour
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

The light of the morning sun casts itself across your eyes. You stir for a moment and then awaken in an alleyway. The stench is incredible. You seem to be slumped at the foot of an open dumpster, and a cornucopia of dark fluids dry in pools all along the alley before you. Probably mostly vomit. Probably. Mostly.

Against your better judgment, you haul yourself to your feet. Your head is spinning, but you cannot escape the feeling that something is definitely wrong. Something needs to be done. Something wrong needs to be made right. It probably has something to do with why you woke up here. If only the throbbing pain in your head would let up long enough for you to think. Think. Think. This is important. That's right! You remember now-

Choice 1

>Last night, I heard a scream coming from the alley as I was walking home. When I went to investigate, I saw a young man being mugged. I intervened, but the mugger put me on the ground like I was nothing. I'm no slouch in a scrap, but this was something else. I need to find out what happened.
    >Last night, I was patrolling the area, and I heard a scream coming from the alley. Usually this kind of thing is a false alarm. Some purse-snatcher, or a couple of rowdy drunks having it out. It was an honest-to-god vampire this time. I'm sure of it. But why didn't it kill me? ...That's right. It was dragging someone away. I need to find them.
    >I was doing a job for a man named Amadeo Moreno, a moderately important overseer in one of the drug cartels with interests in this town. Some thugs jumped me, and now the suitcase I was transporting is gone. It wasn't worth my life to ask what was inside, so it goes without saying that I need to get it back, and extract reparations from the offending party, if I plan to go on living.
    >I was out drinking, when some bastard picked a fight with me. I reluctantly obliged. They said something about 'meddling in affairs I couldn't possible comprehend', and then I was on the ground. Ohcrapdammit, my backpack is gone. There were a few hundred dollars worth of books in there. Somebody just made my list of things to do today.

Reflexively, you check your pockets to see if everything is there. Keys, check. Wallet, check. Although it looks like your cash is gone. A few things are missing, but you scan the alley for a second before freaking out. Fortunately, you see...

Choice 2: Multiple Choice - Vote for 2 of the following

>...my .45 handgun. It hasn't been discharged, but I must have dropped it in the hazy events of last night.
    >...my policeman's badge.
    >...my fancy cellphone. The screen isn't even cracked.
    >...my coat. It has a secret compartment that I keep my real billfold in. All I lost from my wallet was a couple of bucks.
    >...my messenger bag. It has all my art supplies in it.
    >...my familiar. Its eyes glint in the shadow of the dumpster. It must've been watching over me as I slept.
    >...my big bowie-knife.
    >...my sword. If anyone asks, it's a replica I take to the renaissance fair on weekends, but it's actually quite sharp.
    >...my amulet. A tiny glass bauble with a bit of soil from the Golgatha inside.
    >...my amulet. A brass wheel that helps me maintain control over my darkest self.
    >...my amulet. A symbol for channeling great mystical power.
    >...my amulet. A symbol for "channeling great mystical power". At least that's what the lady at the yardsale said.
    >...the roll-up leather case I keep my lockpicking stuff in.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

>Last night, I heard a scream coming from the alley as I was walking home. When I went to investigate, I saw a young man being mugged. I intervened, but the mugger put me on the ground like I was nothing. I'm no slouch in a scrap, but this was something else. I need to find out what happened.

>...my big bowie-knife.
    >...my amulet. A brass wheel that helps me maintain control over my darkest self.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

>I was out drinking, when some bastard picked a fight with me. I reluctantly obliged. They said something about 'meddling in affairs I couldn't possible comprehend', and then I was on the ground. Ohcrapdammit, my backpack is gone. There were a few hundred dollars worth of books in there. Somebody just made my list of things to do today.

Fortunately, you see...
    >...my big bowie-knife.
    >...my messenger bag. It has all my art supplies in it.
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

13. - Top - End - #13

Zombie

Choice 1

>Last night, I was patrolling the area, and I heard a scream coming from the alley. Usually this kind of thing is a false alarm. Some purse-snatcher, or a couple of rowdy drunks having it out. It was an honest-to-god vampire this time. I'm sure of it. But why didn't it kill me? ...That's right. It was dragging someone away. I need to find them.

>...my .45 handgun. It hasn't been discharged, but I must have dropped it in the hazy events of last night.

>...my familiar. Its eyes glint in the shadow of the dumpster. It must've been watching over me as I slept.
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

Steam ID: blacklight101

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

14. - Top - End - #14

Choice 1

Choice 2
    >...my sword. If anyone asks, it's a replica I take to the renaissance fair on weekends, but it's actually quite sharp.

15. - Top - End - #15

DwarfBarbarianGuy

>...my amulet. A symbol for "channeling great mystical power". At least that's what the lady at the yardsale said.
    >...my big bowie-knife.
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Choice 1:

Choice 2:

"They're chasing a rabbit around...I'm surrounded by large, unhappy dogs." - some angel

"I counter your competence with my ineptitude..." - random idiot

17. - Top - End - #17

ElfPirate

backpack full of books
    yardsale amulet & fancy cellphone
    Last edited by Tarlek Flamehai; 2014-11-12 at 09:06 AM.
    Hmm, seem to have left the last letter out of my name I wonder if I can change that somehow...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Choice 1:
    Last night, I was patrolling the area, and I heard a scream coming from the alley. Usually this kind of thing is a false alarm. Some purse-snatcher, or a couple of rowdy drunks having it out. It was an honest-to-god vampire this time. I'm sure of it. But why didn't it kill me? ...That's right. It was dragging someone away. I need to find them.

Choice 2:
    ...my familiar. Its eyes glint in the shadow of the dumpster. It must've been watching over me as I slept.

...my big bowie-knife.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Choice 1

>I was doing a job for a man named Amadeo Moreno, a moderately important overseer in one of the drug cartels with interests in this town. Some thugs jumped me, and now the suitcase I was transporting is gone. It wasn't worth my life to ask what was inside, so it goes without saying that I need to get it back, and extract reparations from the offending party, if I plan to go on living.

>...my fancy cellphone. The screen isn't even cracked.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Choice 1

>...the roll-up leather case I keep my lockpicking stuff in.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    And don't forget that a lack of skills needn't be a problem - in a pinch, BAB can substitute for a lot of skills! Diplomacy ("If you be friend, me no stab in face"), Hide ("If you no see, me no stab in face"), Move Silently ("If you no hear, me no stab in face"), Open Lock ("Me stab lock in face with adamantine dagger"), Heal ("Me stab you in face until you no dying anymore"), Climb ("Me stab rock face"), and so on!

21. - Top - End - #21

choice 1:

choice 2:

bowie knife

my fami- wait what's a familiar and why is this rat staring at me like it knows me?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

That's right. All the fear and sadness and blood - all the long nights and nightmares come rushing back to you. You used to be just another one of the blind, wandering through life without knowing about the terrors lurking just beyond the surface. One, day, however, your ignorance was shattered when you ran across something you just couldn't explain. A vampire - right out of a goddamn movie. You saw it feed, you saw it kill. You saw its true form, the one beneath the skin-suit. You saw its lair and... It's not the time to dredge up that old memory. Fact is, you killed it. You don't know how. Some combination of dumb luck, ambush, fighting dirty, and more adrenaline than you've ever had in your entire life.

Choice 1
    >Now I'm a full-time vampire hunter. It doesn't pay well, typically. But someone has to protect mankind from the darkness.
    >Now I'm a full-time vampire hunter. It doesn't pay well, typically. But someone has to eradicate those blood-sucking parasites, and I'm happy to do it.
    >Now I've dedicated a substantial portion of my life to hunting the creatures of the night. I still work part-time at a normal job, though. Helps pay the bills.

On the ground, you notice a few of your effects, no-doubt discarded in last night's tussle. First, your bowie knife.

Choice 2
    >I'm relieved; that thing has a lot of sentimental value. I'm not much good with it in a fight, though.
    >I've tried to learn some basic self-defense with the thing, but I guess it didn't help against that vampire last night.
    >After my first run-in with a vampire, I've trained extensively with bladed weapons on the premise that vampires don't do well without a head. I know lethal forms and movements for everything from a medieval broadsword to a letter-opener. Still, it looks like supernatural foes are a bit too strong and fast for me at the moment.
    >If there is a God of Blades, I am his high-priest. I've been banned from international fencing, longsword, and knife-throwing competitions on the grounds that I must've been cheating. I wasn't. With this knife alone, I'm absolutely certain I could've killed a lone vampire. There must have been some factor at play that I'm unaware of.
    >There is literally a God of Blades, and I am literally his high-priest. I'd been an enthusiastic aficionado before my first vampire encounter. Afterward, with my mind open, I delved a little further into supernatural lore and, as luck would have it, I accidentally contacted a largely forgotten divine entity, weakened by the age of firearms. He promised me power if I upheld his tenets and performed services in the mortal realm for him whenever he required it. I accepted, that I might stand toe-to-toe with my vampire foes. To be defeated as I was, there must have been some foul play involved. (Note: This option will be extensively character-defining. You won't have the option to start with any other supernatural powers.)

And that amulet you got at a yardsale that one time. There's nothing special about it that you know of, but it looks neat.

Having collected your things, you place them in...

Choice 3
    >...the pockets of my trenchcoat. As a vampire-hunter, I'm narratively obligated to wear one.
    >...the inner pockets of my sports jacket. I like to look good while I hunt the undead.
    >...the pouch of my hoodie.
    >...the pockets of my jeans. I don't wear a coat unless it's snowing.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2014-11-12 at 02:55 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Choice 1
    >Now I've dedicated a substantial portion of my life to hunting the creatures of the night. I still work part-time at a normal job, though. Helps pay the bills.

Choice 2
    >After my first run-in with a vampire, I've trained extensively with bladed weapons on the premise that vampires don't do well without a head. I know lethal forms and movements for everything from a medieval broadsword to a letter-opener. Still, it looks like supernatural foes are a bit too strong and fast for me at the moment.

Choice 3

24. - Top - End - #24

Zombie

Choice 1
    >Now I'm a full-time vampire hunter. It doesn't pay well, typically. But someone has to protect mankind from the darkness.

Choice 2

Choice 3
    >...the pockets of my trenchcoat. As a vampire-hunter, I'm narratively obligated to wear one.
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

Steam ID: blacklight101

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Choice 1
    Now I'm a full-time vampire hunter. It doesn't pay well, typically. But someone has to protect mankind from the darkness.

Choice 2
    After my first run-in with a vampire, I've trained extensively with bladed weapons on the premise that vampires don't do well without a head. I know lethal forms and movements for everything from a medieval broadsword to a letter-opener. Still, it looks like supernatural foes are a bit too strong and fast for me at the moment.

Choice 3
    ...the pouch of my hoodie.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Choice 1

Choice 2
    >I'm relieved; that thing has a lot of sentimental value. I'm not much good with it in a fight, though.

Choice 3
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

>I've tried to learn some basic self-defense with the thing, but I guess it didn't help against that vampire last night.

-----

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by blacklight101 View Post
    Choice 1

Choice 2

Choice 3
    Seconded, of course I'd be wearing a trench coat!

29. - Top - End - #29

ElfPirate

>Now I'm a full-time vampire hunter. It doesn't pay well, typically. But someone has to eradicate those blood-sucking parasites, and I'm happy to do it.

>If there is a God of Blades, I am his high-priest. I've been banned from international fencing, longsword, and knife-throwing competitions on the grounds that I must've been cheating. I wasn't. With this knife alone, I'm absolutely certain I could've killed a lone vampire. There must have been some factor at play that I'm unaware of.

>...the pockets of my jeans. I don't wear a coat unless it's snowing.

30. - Top - End - #30

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Choice 1
    Now I've dedicated a substantial portion of my life to hunting the creatures of the night. I still work part-time at a normal job, though. Helps pay the bills.

Choice 2
    I've tried to learn some basic self-defense with the thing, but I guess it didn't help against that vampire last night.

Choice 3
    ..the pockets of my jeans. I don't wear a coat unless it's snowing.
    Spoiler
    Show