New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) So, my entire party has +5 cloaks of resistance...

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    Liberal use of the Advanced simple template is also helpful.
    This. That template can make base-level animals into nasty opponents at the right levels; imagine what it does to, say, a...

You know what, I'm not at all familiar with most of the unique-to-Pathfinder monsters. I should go read the bestiary.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Is there rules for advancing monsters by HD in pathfinder? Because in 3.5 that was a good source for increasing typical DCs for many abilities. For example, I put together an advanced, lolth-touched phase spider. A typical phase spider is 5HD and CR5, but advancing it by HD increased that CR at a less than 1:1 rate, allowing it to get to Huge size, which came with buffs of it's own, and adding lolth-touched it ended up at 9HD, and with ability focus as it's 9HD feat, CR8 with a comparitive DC of it's poison of 24, vs the normal phase spider's 17. That's a 7 point increase over only 3CR
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Der_DWSage View Post
    Emphasis mine. Please expand on this alleged +10 DC spellcasting buff, because I seriously can't find such, and would find it relevant to my GMing interests.

I think you might not be getting 'how they could possibly save' because you're pulling numbers out of thin air that either don't exist, or are so uncommon as to be restricted to legitimate boss battles and GMPCs.
    If you're assuming that both the party and the enemies are not utilizing the system at all I could see why you'd assume low numbers. Getting high defensive numbers in a low defense system requires utilizing that system very effectively if it is mathematically possible at all.

So when you take poorly built enemies, and run them against well made parties what happens? That's right, a one sided fight.

It follows then if you don't want enemy attacks shaken off 95% of the time, enemies must be well built. So dismissing absolutely any form of save DC boosting as a tool for bosses and self insert characters? Rather laughable.

And because it is an offensively biased system, the instant enemies start using the offensive options available you hit the opposite problem. No one can defend against their attacks. Regardless, that does fix the current problem. For example:

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Is there rules for advancing monsters by HD in pathfinder? Because in 3.5 that was a good source for increasing typical DCs for many abilities. For example, I put together an advanced, lolth-touched phase spider. A typical phase spider is 5HD and CR5, but advancing it by HD increased that CR at a less than 1:1 rate, allowing it to get to Huge size, which came with buffs of it's own, and adding lolth-touched it ended up at 9HD, and with ability focus as it's 9HD feat, CR8 with a comparitive DC of it's poison of 24, vs the normal phase spider's 17. That's a 7 point increase over only 3CR
    With minor system utilization one of the worst creature types for advancement becomes much more threatening. This actually isn't what I meant, I meant actual spell boosting. But if it must be a monster, that's how you do it.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

readies acid flask