New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default A question and a reference

Hey guys! I know I haven't been on the forums in a while. I've been extremely busy, but now i'm back! I return with a gift! Here's a link to one of my favorite sites that has quite a few generators for maps, towns, encounters, etc. for when you're in a pinch or you're just too lazy http://www.wizardawn.com/rpg/

Secondly, I had a question for you guys. I was thinking about various random aspects to put into my campaign that I run and a thought popped into my head. It was an idea to implement something kind of like Pokemon where you could capture smallish creatures and use them to your advantage. Any ideas on the best way to implement this in a balanced way?

Glad to be back guys! From the Gnomish Sorcerer!

-Z

2. - Top - End - #2

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: A question and a reference

I almost forgot! I have sort of taken to drawing to pass the time. If anyone has something they'd like me to draw I'd be happy to give it a shot. It would be great practice for me. I'm not that good yet, but I'll do my best to draw what you ask for! Love all of you guys! Keep Rolling!

-Z

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

would you be interested in doing trophies for our iron chef competition? we haven't had anyone to do them in a while and miss them a lot.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

4. - Top - End - #4

GnomeWizardGuy

Sure, I'd be happy to give it a try. Any particular design you want as the trophy? I noticed the one in your signature. Would you like something like that?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zeifly View Post
    Sure, I'd be happy to give it a try. Any particular design you want as the trophy? I noticed the one in your signature. Would you like something like that?
    Oh man, you've just made a bunch of people very happy.

My first instinct is to ask for cold iron warrior since it's got some very disparate art to use for sources, has an interesting flavor, and (ahem) I won a trophy for it.

But I'm pretty sure trophy stuff falls under the penumbra of the chair. I'd suggest you post in the most recent thread, announce your intentions to do trophies for everyone, and ask Heliomance what she wants you to do. She'll probably say something for the most recent pending ingredient, dungeon lord, or might ask you to start further back. I don't think we've actually had trophies since geomancer.

links to past iron chefs are in the first post of this thread, some of them have trophies which are done in a similar style to my hand of the winged master trophy by various different people, so you can check them out for inspiration.

thanks a lot, I bet everyone will love them. can't wait to see what they're like.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zeifly View Post
    Secondly, I had a question for you guys. I was thinking about various random aspects to put into my campaign that I run and a thought popped into my head. It was an idea to implement something kind of like Pokemon where you could capture smallish creatures and use them to your advantage. Any ideas on the best way to implement this in a balanced way?
    I can't really say how balanced it is, but the first idea that came to my head would be a magic item containing a first-level eidolon. Maybe as a chain of feats:

Summon Pokolon
    You can summon a small creature to aid you in combat.
    Prerequisites: Cha 11
    Benefit: You summon a small creature to your side to aid you. This works as Summon Monster I, except for the following: The creature you summon follows the rules for the Eidolon of a 1st-level Summoner (no Archetypes!) and gains the Young simple template. You select the evolutions for this creature when you select this feat. It can only be changed with a special ritual taking 8 hours and requiring special materials costing 100 gp. You can use this ability (3 + CHA) times per day at a caster level equal to your character level.
    Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Every time, you create a different Pokolon which can be summoned (3 + CHA) times per day. To use this feat you require a special artifact known as an Eidoball which costs 150 gp to make (Construction: Craft Wondrous Item, Summon Monster I, Spellcraft or Craft (Traps) DC20)

Evolve Pokolon
    Your Pokolon becomes stronger.
    Prerequisites: Summon Pokolon, Cha 13, Character Level 5
    Benefit: The Pokolon this feat is selected for loses the Young template and follows the rules for the Eidolon of a 3rd-level Summoner.
    Special: You can take this feat one time per Summon Pokolon feat you have.

Greater Evolve Pokolon
    Your Pokolon becomes stronger.
    Prerequisites: Summon Pokolon, Evolve Pokolon, Cha 15, Character Level 10
    Benefit: The Pokolon this feat is selected for follows the rules for the Eidolon of a 6th-level Summoner.
    Special: You can take this feat one time per Evolve Pokolon feat you have.

7. - Top - End - #7

GnomeWizardGuy

Hmmm....That looks pretty cool. I think it would work. Thank you!
    Never stop rolling!

-Z

Nexus Characters: Myzid