New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Getting a meaningful backstory from players

I think backstories are important to the game, but that's more just because no character comes from an utter vacuum. As a GM, you've got to give me something to work with then a bunch of numbers on a page. At the same time, it's rather pointless to try and tease an elaborate background from a player who clearly isn't interested. So the question becomes, how can we make it a painless process tolerable to both the roll-players and the would-be thespians of the party?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Dwarf Fortress.
    Download, unzip, run, create world, start playing: fortress mode, embark anywhere, play now, u, z, z, enter, screen shot, print screen shot.

Optional: cross out references to name, species, and gender. Add your name, species, and gender.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NikitaDarkstar View Post

Now I do agree that personal quests can be kind of rude to the rest of the party, especially if handled badly. But how about someone you mentioned in your background just happening to turn up on the opposing side? Or you bump into at some point that happens to have information for you? etc. Just a nod that confirms that yes I've read your story, and yes your character is part of the world. Sure it could just as well be generic NPC #19 and it wouldn't make a big difference on the game world, but for those that did write a background? That does matter, and that is a reward in itself. On that note I also agree that handing out XP for backstories (especially backstories that meets whatever standards the DM happens to have) is wrong just because, as you said, it can make the person who didn't get the bonus XP bitter.
    Ya know i used to do that in the first few years of 3e. But over and over again unless it happened within the first session or two the player in question didnt even notice that I used a part of their story, or if they did they didnt act on it at all. So after awhile I decided the whole thing was just more hassle then it was worth for everyone and put all my effort in the ongoing campaign rather then background stuff.
    Last edited by Nagash; 2014-11-13 at 06:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Exactly. In my experience if you force people who don't care to fill out a background questionnaire, they'll treat it like homework, fill it out as fast as possible and never recognize when it's being referenced.

The groups that would do it with the right intentions probably don't need homework to prompt them to do it in the first place.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

My players are pretty good at writing a backstory, so this hasn't been a problem.

I require at least a minimal amount of backstory:
    a 1-2 sentence description of your character.
    1-2 motivations: Why are you an adventurer.
    1-2 contacts: What people/organizations have you made some kind of contact with.
    1-2 connections with the other party members

I then tell them, this is your chance to add anything you can imagine to the campaign. Assuming you don't abuse this rule, I will, somehow, work anything you come up with, into the campaign.
    Additionally, more backstory allows me more hooks, and more direction. So your character will likely have a slightly higher main role.
    Last edited by sleepy hedgehog; 2014-11-13 at 07:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

If they are not big on pre-made backstory then just add some back story on the fly as the game progresses.

for example;

DM: As you are leaving the market a familiar voice calls out to (Player A) from the crowd, it's some one from your past....who?
    Player A: What?
    DM: Who is this person from your past?
    Player A: What do you mean?
    DM: What is this persons relationship to you, who are they?
    Player A:... er.. an old friend?!?
    DM: Excellent! Whats their name?
    Player A: ... er ... Dave?
    DM: Yes! its Dave your childhood friend! But you haven't seen him in since the Event! so... what was the even Player A?
    Player A: er...i... i don't know... um... when Orc's attacked?
    DM: Ahh yes! since the Orc warhost swept through your homeland! "(Player A)!" exclaims Dave, "I had heard that you were dead?!?" Dave looks genuinely pleased to see you....

and off you go from there.

You haven't tried to force them into sitting down and coming up with a solid background. They suddenly have a chunk of back story that wasn't there before. It was done in game so they are more likely to remember it. They might realize that back stories aren't so hard to come up with. And best of all, your game is suddenly a bit more three dimensional then it was a moment ago.
    Last edited by Kaun; 2014-11-13 at 08:16 PM.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Kaun View Post
    If they are not big on pre-made backstory then just add some back story on the fly as the game progresses.

for example;

DM: As you are leaving the market a familiar voice calls out to (Player A) from the crowd, it's some one from your past....who?
    Player A: What?
    DM: Who is this person from your past?
    Player A: What do you mean?
    DM: What is this persons relationship to you, who are they?
    Player A:... er.. an old friend?!?
    DM: Excellent! Whats their name?
    Player A: ... er ... Dave?
    DM: Yes! its Dave your childhood friend! But you haven't seen him in since the Event! so... what was the even Player A?
    Player A: er...i... i don't know... um... when Orc's attacked?
    DM: Ahh yes! since the Orc warhost swept through your homeland! "(Player A)!" exclaims Dave, "I had heard that you were dead?!?" Dave looks genuinely pleased to see you....

and off you go from there.

You haven't tried to force them into sitting down and coming up with a solid background. They suddenly have a chunk of back story that wasn't there before. It was done in game so they are more likely to remember it. They might realize that back stories aren't so hard to come up with. And best of all, your game is suddenly a bit more three dimensional then it was a moment ago.
    Or if your players are the kind who may resent being placed on the spot, I've found that many don't really mind if you go ahead and invent something for them.

"A familiar voice calls out to you and you see a familiar face. It turns out to be Mark! You remember him from wrestling school, you used to have a signature move the two of you would preform in tag team matches though it's been ages since you last shared a stage."

If the player wishes they can help fill in details from there (why they haven't seen mark in so long, what the signature move is) but they're not necessary details and it doesn't really matter if they don't want to/can't think of anything for it.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Raine_Sage View Post
    Or if your players are the kind who may resent being placed on the spot
    If my players weren't resenting me for something i had done to them i would be worried.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

9. - Top - End - #39

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Dwarf Fortress.
    Download, unzip, run, create world, start playing: fortress mode, embark anywhere, play now, u, z, z, enter, screen shot, print screen shot.

Optional: cross out references to name, species, and gender. Add your name, species, and gender.
    ...huh. Now that I think about it, I do have a tendency to play characters fond of drink and industry, and who need alcohol to get through the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Do not try a linear campaign, without some discussion with them. Players very often look at your hooks and then try to accomplish it in a different way, not touch it, try to do the complete opposite, or somehow set it on fire.

10. - Top - End - #40

If you're running a game and you ask players for a short background, since your time investment is centered around those players having a fun time enjoying a world of fantasy & adventure, they should do as you ask. GMs/DMs need to have fun, too, not just players, and part of your fun seems to be integrating PC backgrounds into your adventure.

Try telling them about Howitt's "six-questions-that-will-help-you-make-better-characters"

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    The more RPG I play, the less I'm convinced a backstory is necessary. A major source of fun in the RPG is creating your character's story as you play, and backstories are surprisingly irrelevant to that. People spend too much time caring what happened to a character in someone's head before the campaign when what really matters is what happens to the character during the campaign. In fact, a lot of times, I find backstories make the game less fun. The more involved your backstory is, the more it impedes your ability to create your character's story in play. When a major event happens in play, it is more transformative for a character the more of a blank canvas your character is. Now, this isn't to say all characters should be faceless, lifeless drones at the beginning of your campaign, but most backstories are way too overwrought. A simple backstory, with something like a hometown, a personality quirk, and an uncomplicated life goal, such as "I want to wrestle," can easily be enough for a character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    I agree with this. I prefer little background. A character is defined by what they accomplish during the game.
    I'd agree with these, but that remaining background is essential. The character pretty much needs a high concept (beyond species-class), and at least a little to anchor them into the game world. To use a recent example, a PC was introduced to me (as GM) as a bioweapons expert with connections to some shady organization. That's not a lot, but it's enough to work with, particularly as the character introduction scene came off very well.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Everyone invents and describes one influential person, place, or piece of local history. Not two, and three is right out. Then everyone has to describe their character's background, using at least three of the elements described. This cuts out both "I'm Nob. I hit things." and long novellas that I dislike.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"