New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default "I too like to destroy beehives with nuclear weapons!" Mundane problem; crazy answer

So a while back there was a thread where somebody asked for a way to make Duration: Concentration spells more useful without Sonorous Hum. My proposed answer was to go Planar Shepherd tied to the Astral Plane so that you could maintain concentration as a move with the right feat and still cast other spells as a swift because free quickens. The exact wording from me was "Easy. Be a Planar Shepherd..." and this prompted a response of "I too like to destroy beehives with nuclear weapons."

So my challenge to you guys is to come up with the most mundane D&D issue you can think of and solve it with the most ridiculously overkill solution possible. The gauntlet has been thrown. TO is absolutely viable. Try to avoid using the same trick somebody else has used, though. Bonus points for impracticality, being completely over-the-top, DM rage inducing potential, wording abuse (a la killing the Tarrasque as a level 1 commoner by optimizing your character's name) and sheer Rube Goldberg-ness.
    Last edited by AnonymousPepper; 2014-11-14 at 06:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: "I too like to destroy beehives with nuclear weapons!" Mundane problem; crazy ans

Anything: Be Wizard 20.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: "I too like to destroy beehives with nuclear weapons!" Mundane problem; crazy ans

Problem: A party member is dying.
    Solution: Break out the Immortals Handbook and slay Death.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

... and then after you've True Mind Switched with the Aleax of your Ice Assassin...
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Problem: Sentient life is problematic and constantly provokes the need for new campaigns with new characters.

Solution: End life on the Prime in one night with a wave of animated green slime that devours anything that isn't stone in a matter of seconds. Self-resetting traps of touch of Jubilex, wave of green slime, and mundane sources of green slime are used by a druid that has split itself into many thousands of burrow roots. PaO/mass awaken the green slime, now it's intelligent and mobile.

The trick is getting it all done before the sun rises, lol.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

6. - Top - End - #6

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    what
    how
    what
    that's like some Exalted crap right there

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Not the most epic of situations but this really happened. My barbarian expressed rage at goblins many a time and so to incite that rage at (in)opportune moments my DM threw goblins in everywhere (and I mean everywhere...seriously I even found one in the bathroom of a temple of Pelor...) but in order to speed things along and not take much more time than a couple rounds during combat he gave my barbarian a +1 greataxe that would turn into a +5 vorpal, bane, flaming, (insert several other effects that I don't remember) axe that would only affect goblins and only if I used the key word. Luckily for my intelligence 8 barbarian the key word was Shiny. This epic axe (only against goblins) ended up killing the barbarian when it started flaming while I was trying to hide from giants. The party decided not to sell the axe for money to revive me because if I woke up and shiny was gone then I would probably have proceeded to kill the party.
    May all praise the oh so glorious, oh so benevolent oh so androgynous Sam!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousPepper View Post
    what
    how
    what
    that's like some Exalted crap right there
    Damn skippy it is! I remember a myth where Hercules wrestled with death for exactly that reason.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I, for one, have been confronted with a cavern that was (probably) full of enemies, and I proceeded to literally jury-rig two or three different spells together (I forget which ones, sadly) into a magical thermobaric explosive in order to wipe out literally everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Do not try a linear campaign, without some discussion with them. Players very often look at your hooks and then try to accomplish it in a different way, not touch it, try to do the complete opposite, or somehow set it on fire.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    I, for one, have been confronted with a cavern that was (probably) full of enemies, and I proceeded to literally jury-rig two or three different spells together (I forget which ones, sadly) into a magical thermobaric explosive in order to wipe out literally everything.
    Oh, you've combined ray of frost, shatter and fireball too? It really was careless of the kobolds to leave that much oil lying around where adventurers could get to it.

Still, the most overkill I've seen (didn't do it myself) was releasing 54 bulettes from an AD&D bag of beans on to a small island. Destroyed the ecology entirely.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Still, the OP is about theoretical situations. There's the classic "I am a drow warblade troubled by light blindness. Iron Heart Surge that annoying sun. ahhh, that's better."

Or planar binding a succubus in order to ... have her teleport you a fresh hot coffee in from your favorite cafe.

Start the shadowpocalypse to reduce property prices so you can afford a house in a nice part of town.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

chain Gating solars is pretty much the most broken thing pre-epic that doesnt involve Mindjacking the immortal - invulnerable Aleax of your Immortal Ice Assassin.

although i think the idea is "most flagrant abuse of your power to do something mundane".

So, i guess using planar binding to get a succubus maid?
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Cast Gate, bring in a Solar, have it periodically cast Light over the next few hours because you A) didn't prepare any light spells and B) want to keep working after sunset.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

amused Re: "I too like to destroy beehives with nuclear weapons!" Mundane problem; crazy ans

You are one of those mages of the arcane order, and as a 20th level immortal wizard you requre to have a celebration. You also happen to love cheese, especially molten cheese!

Of course you invented a fondue divice with your 38+ int. After a couple of delicious meals this magnificent divice of true cheese-melting stopped working and, even though a couple of contingencies go off to prevent this, you feel sad. Very sad.

There are of course a lot of options to solve this. You all probably have a lot of equally mind-shattering ways to archieve the melting of cheese, and I have one aswell:

You pshycic reformation your ice assasin with a (whished for) power stone into a psion who astral seeds himself. And, after some minor shenannigans, he inhabits/becomes the still-broken (RIP) fondue device. Psionic reform him again, this time into an ardent with the elemental mantle.

Every time the cheese touches the plate it takes a single fire dmng, melting it with the speed of light. Depening on if it is quickened or not light has a speed of 6 or less seconds
    Last edited by evangaline; 2014-11-15 at 08:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimheul View Post
    *slow clap* That is an absolutely beautiful, completely in character post for a tech priest. *wipes tear from eye*
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon 997 View Post
    I'm just not sure if I should back away slowly, or arrest the man. But on what charges? There are so many...

Unnatural acts of tech sorcery? Theft? Coveting thee neighbors skull? Illegal punning?

15. - Top - End - #15

Necropolitan Gray Elf Wizard.

Astral Projection and several dozen Ice Assassins of an Ice Assassin of an Ice Assassin of an Ice Assassin of yourself.

Crack open the DMG and find the list of 100 quest hooks. Some of them, will be you, while every other would easily be solved by throwing Ice Assassins at it. For extra lulz, get some of them to use Project Image and every single one to have Death Throes cast on them, it'll heal them while damaging enemies not immune to Negative Energy.

A merchants' guild decide not to work for your Planar Monopoly and/or decides to attempt to get your business kicked out of every city they have some pull in?

Army of Ice Assassins to offer some well placed bribes, make those who are willing to join disappear into employment hidden until the merchants' guild is dissolved, assassinate the most vocal detractors in horrible accidents/natural disasters and wage a campaign of terror on anyone who makes life difficult for your business.

Policing a city?

If you see some punk commit a crime while you're using Astral Projection, call in an army of Ice Assassins and have him choose between serving his sentence as a Skeleton/Zombie, or paying a fine.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

We were playing Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, and for some reason in that module, grells kept creeping up in odd places. I was playing a shadowcraft mage, and he was getting increasingly annoyed by the grells not leaving us alone. He finally snapped when the group's rogue (his best friend) failed a save against a trap, and got sucked into the demiplane that the grells were all coming from. We were 15th level I think at this point, so I intentionally failed my save against the same trap, and proceeded to wipe out the grells with a couple of mimicked Apocalypse from the Sky spells.

It turns out I killed pretty much all of the grells in existence, so it's been a running joke ever since that grells are now an endangered species.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I need to clean my room!
    I don't want to do it, it's annoying, and a high level wizard has better stuff to do, like reading the mage guild's gazette.

What should i do?

Quote Originally Posted by avr View Post
    Start the shadowpocalypse to reduce property prices so you can afford a house in a nice part of town.
    Shadowpocalyse is a Shadow Apocalypse from the Sky?
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protθgent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Shadowpocalyse is a Shadow Apocalypse from the Sky?
    No, it's starting a pyramid scheme to mass-produce undead shadows faster than clerics and adventurers can kill them off.

Guaranteed to reduce house prices, what aristocrat wants to live where the hoi polloi can walk through the walls and see you taking a bath?
    Last edited by avr; 2014-11-15 at 10:36 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I thought that a Shadowpocalyse was when you create a self resetting trap of Ghost Sound in order to play some very old music, continuously.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    I thought that a Shadowpocalyse was when you create a self resetting trap of Ghost Sound in order to play some very old music, continuously.
    I'm afraid I don't get this reference. Please explain.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

"I was hungry, so I made an ice assassin of an omnificer to have it use a profession: chef check with infinite bonus to make me grilled cheese."

"I had this great idea for a maid cafe, so I made ice assassins of all of the gods and dressed them in maid outfits."
    "Even Boccob?"
    "Especially Boccob."
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities... Quickly please, before they are out of range."

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!!"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkweave31 View Post
    "I was hungry, so I made an ice assassin of an omnificer to have it use a profession: chef check with infinite bonus to make me grilled cheese."
    but that took 6 hours, And killed you thanks to his +NI Craft (poison) check
    Last edited by toapat; 2014-11-15 at 11:37 AM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    but that took 6 hours, And killed you thanks to his +NI Craft (poison) check
    1. You have absolute control over an ice assassin.

2. It wasn't of me, therefore it doesnt want to kill me.

3. Time manipulation is easy.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities... Quickly please, before they are out of range."

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!!"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

problem: I have an itch
    solution: iron heart surge
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Eliminate mooks one-by-one by researching their personal truenames and casting Unname on them.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

After being stung by a bee
    • Discern Location on Beehive
    • Meteor Swarm

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    solution: iron heart surge
    —or—

solution: I wish I didn't have this itch
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    This one actually gave me a small giggle. I absolutely had to add this story.

I was once playing an Artificer (how all great stories begin) and I got the idea to craft an item of Time Stop -at will. I always liked the Delay Spell Metamagic and combining these two things together never occurred to me. I took an item of Orb of Force and an item of Time Stop and in combat, I just used Delay and Quicken together to do the below

Code:
    Round 1: Delay (5 rounds) Orb of Force, Quicken Delay (5) Orb of Force
    Round 2: Delay (4 rounds) Orb of Force, Quicken Delay (4) Orb of Force
    Round 3: Delay (3 rounds) Orb of Force, Quicken Delay (3) Orb of Force
    Round 4: Delay (2 rounds) Orb of Force, Quicken Delay (2) Orb of Force
    Round 5: Delay (1 rounds) Orb of Force, Quicken Delay (1) Time Stop
    Round 6: Time goes back in, all of the delay spells trigger and resume at Round 1
    The problem? I did this on everything. Yes. Everything. And that is why every monster I make capable of having Spell Stowaway (Time Stop) and Celerity do.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    solution: I wish I didn't have this itch
    The Monkey Paw gives you every other itch in the world in its place?

Need to feed people? Get the black hole pig-bond commoner and then force a Nightmare into Astral Projecting him and slay/cook/eat the duplicate pigs. Surely they won't turn into duplicate Orcus!
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-11-15 at 09:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    The Monkey Paw gives you every other itch in the world in its place?

Need to feed people? Get the black hole pig-bond commoner and then force a Nightmare into Astral Projecting him and slay/cook/eat the duplicate pigs. Surely they won't turn into duplicate Orcus!
    pig-bond summons the actual Orcus though.

I bet a lot of his time is taken up killing pig-bonded commoners.

That's why he never actually does anything!
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition