New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default An idea, inspired by the Final Fantasy "job system"

What i mean is this:

You seperate character level and class level completelly.

Your character has one "primary class". They gain the BAB, hit dice, base saves, and skill points per level of this class.

As you gain XP, you gain an equal number of "CP", or "class points". Your XP advances your number of hitdice only, giving the effects outlined in the previous line.

You spend CP to advance any class you want, and you only gain from the class everything but BAB, saves, hitdice, and number of skill points. Classes other than your primary class are at a penalty when spending CP. The degree to which I am unsure of.

Ideas, comments? Death threats?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: An idea, inspired by the Final Fantasy "job system"

One could take this a step further and do it as in FFT: your XP advances your HD, your feat gain, etc. Your CP buys you class features.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

i have a write up on another forum where myself and a couple other people helped. We did it as templates, that granted abilities and such as you took level in them

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it possible to change your "primary class"?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Only using live human sacrafice.
    irl

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Of course, in Final Fantasy Tactics, I believe you also advanced your stats based on your class as well. So the only real difference is that you buy your class abilities with CP.

Or maybe the classes just applied modifiers to your stats. I never really figured out which it was.
    Characters:
    None right now!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daracaex View Post
    Of course, in Final Fantasy Tactics, I believe you also advanced your stats based on your class as well. So the only real difference is that you buy your class abilities with CP.

Or maybe the classes just applied modifiers to your stats. I never really figured out which it was.
    Both, actually.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

This could actually lead to a chain of ideas, all based off of Final Fantasy systems. Some things would need to be adapted of course.

FFT: XP and CP are earned seperately. CP pays for class abilities, XP levels up. When enough levels are reached in a given class, new classes become available.

FFX: 1 CP is gained every time you level up. A CP is used to move around a grid of abilities, and abilities are learned by paying in GP.

FFX-2: Every creature defeated awards 1 or more CP. Each ability has a set amount of CP required to learn it. The player decides which ability the CP goes towards, and learned abilities unlock new abilities. New classes are unlocked by 'buying' them.

FFXII: 1 or more CP is awarded everytime a creature is defeated. CP is payed to learn abilities. Abilities are arranged on a board, and an ability can only be learned when an adjacent ability is learned.

FFTA: Abilities are learned through weapons, but can only be used when the weapon is equipped untill the ability is mastered. Each ecounter awards CP. When enough CP is reached, the ability is mastered. New classes are available when enough abilities are learned.
    Last edited by CaelCyndar1993; 2007-03-24 at 04:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CaelCyndar1993 View Post
    FFTA: Abilities are learned through weapons, but can only be used when the weapon is equipped untill the ability is mastered. Each ecounter awards CP. When enough CP is reached, the ability is mastered. New classes are available when enough abilities are learned.
    cont'd: XP is awarded for encounters, as well, and leveling up while in a class gives you stat advances--HD, skill points, etc.--based on that class. Equippable weapons are limited by current class, and class can be changed between encounters.

The issues with an FFTA system is the lack of a mana system. It would be ridiculously easy to shunt from a mid- or high-level fighter to a mid- or high-level mage. To fix this, spell levels would probably have to fall under the 'stat advances' category, and all spellcasting classes would have to share spellcasting levels--but not spell lists. Maybe individual spells would be abilities, and therefore we limit spells known and essentially make all casters spontaneous.
    The road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began,
    Now far ahead the road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can--
    Pursuing it with eager feet,
    Meeting those who travel on the way,
    Where many paths and errands meet,
    And whither then, I cannot say.
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Wait! Now where was that link... Ah! Here it is: Returner Games

We might be able to use that as a starting point.
    Characters:
    None right now!