New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [RWBY] Aegis Academy: RWBY in the Playground REBORN! OOC #1 (Closed)

From the ashes of defeat, a new RP rises! Welcome ... to Aegis Academy!

Whoa, back up there. What is Aegis Academy anyway?

Aegis Academy is part of the setting for the Rooster Teeth webisode series called RWBY. It's a short series just out of its second 'season', but a very fun one that's caught the attention of a not small part of the forums who have shown a marked interest in playing around in the world that Monty Oum has created.

Many years ago, in a world known as Vytal, mankind was born into a bleak, unforgiving world. A world full of Grimm, malevolent creatures who emerged from the darkness to attack humanity. To fight back, mankind harnessed a magical energy source known as 'Dust' and used its power to not only drive back the Grimm, but also to catalyze the growth of civilization across the planet. In the present day, 'Hunters' are trained in special schools to harness the dust and become protectors of the peace. Both from the Grimm, and those who would disrupt the peace.

This game is based on the setting of RWBY, but doesn't take place at Beacon in order to give everyone involved more of a say in what's going on, since a lot isn't known about RWBY's setting yet. This way there's less potential conflict with canon. Aegis is an academy like Vale's Beacon, where Hunters receive their initial training before moving on to a more advanced school like Beacon. It's located in the Vacuo region, built into the side of a mountain. It overlooks the city of Oasis to the east, an industrial powerhouse well known for mining raw metals and exporting them throughout the four kingdoms in exchange for dust and food. Most of the mining operations take place at the base of the mountain. Outwards from that lay the industrial areas, with the housing areas in the northern part of the city. To the north and east of Oasis lie wooded grasslands, and to the south lies a vast, unforgiving desert. On the southern border of Oasis lies Sentry Academy, a prep-school equivalent to Signal in RWBY. To the west of the mountain range Aegis Academy is built into lies a series of lush, mountain-ringed valleys, followed by the western ocean.

Okay, but how is it different from, say, Nexus?

It differs in several important ways.

First, it is a lot more uniform than the usual 'anything goes' freeform. You have hunters (and huntresses), teachers at Aegis, criminals, and the creatures called Grimm, but not, say, mummies or lich-ghosts (unless the show contradicts this of course).

Second, the plot of Aegis Academy is going to be more directed. Players come up with their own plots, get people to participate in them, and have a blast, but there will also be an overarching plot directed by a yet unknown third party. Just make sure everyone is on board with what you are doing, to keep trouble from coming up down the line (we had trouble with this in the last RP, please don't repeat it here). If something over-arching develops, that's great! If not, also fine! Also, please try to keep to the tone of the original RWBY. We don't want this getting grimdark.

Third, Sanctum is self-contained. It does not connect to other settings so come up with something nice for Sanctum rather then just...porting over something you've done before.

How do I start?

Start out by making a character. Feel free to post it wherever you like, so everyone can find information on your character and so people can give you helpful criticism on it. Personally, I highly recommend posting it on the RWBY Fanon Wiki, as we will be, for the most part, using their character creation rules in order to assure fun, balanced, verisimilar experience. Once your character is made, post it (or a link to it) here in the OOC thread, we'll review it, and let you know if it's accepted.

There are rules, right?

Yes. Firstly, no godmodding (or godmoding). A far better explanation of godmodding than I can give is here.

Second, please remember that we plan to have a directed plot. Please run any major spanners in the works past guys on this thread first because some people put a lot of work/effort into their plots and can get touchy when things just happen to screw them up, especially when nobody even talked to them about it. So, you know...just be courteous!

Third, don't ruin anyone else's fun. I can't stress this enough.

Fourth, if you're inactive for two weeks without prior warning, your spot will be given to someone else. This is so things don't grind to a halt while we're waiting on someone, and so people who are actually active can have a chance to play. If you return after two weeks with a good reason for your absence (being sick, moving, internet got cut, etc.), your position can be reinstated by appeal.

Finally, have fun! This is mandatory. Have fun, or you will be kicked from the RP. (j/k )

Things to consider but not really rules

1. Consider asking to join in fights before jumping in.
      Please respect that all plots might not be open. Alternatively, if you yourself want to keep a fight cordoned off from other participants, say so in the OOC, at the beginning of your post, or both.
    2. Talk major fights over with your opponent!
      In my experience, this is the biggest problem for FFRPs that involve combat since most people don't want to look weak or helpless. People will get into fights and then arguments start about who's going to win or what happen. Arguments that can be easily avoided by talking it out and coming to an agreeable conclusion.
    3. Don't argue in the OOC!
      They make the atmosphere oppressive, they make things less fun, and generally unpleasant and maybe even make the arguments larger than they need be. So, if you have a problem with someone, try to talk it out in PM or IM before using the OOC. This is different from helpful debate or giving advice.

These guidelines/loose rules might be viable to change or be added on to as issues come up, but the bases are covered pretty well.

Important Links

The RWBY Series on Rooster Teeth
    Character Rosters
    Aegis Academy Chat Room

Links to the Previous RP

IC Thread #1
    IC Thread #2
    IC Thread #3
    First OOC Thread
    Second OOC Thread
    Third OOC Thread
    Fourth OOC Thread

Helpful Character Template

Spoiler
    Show
    Name:
    Motif:
    Appearance:

Biography:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Weapon:

Dust/Aura/Semblance:
    Last edited by Hawkflight; 2014-11-16 at 02:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [RWBY] Aegis Academy: RWBY in the Playground REBORN! OOC #1 (Closed)

Hello! Just getting this page in my subscription box!
    Also, I'm asking around for a plot director. Sorry bout earlier.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: [RWBY] Aegis Academy: RWBY in the Playground REBORN! OOC #1 (Closed)

Oh, you might wanna add a link to the chat on the main page!
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Good call! Done.
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

5. - Top - End - #5

Hiya all, Fred here. Just letting everyone know I'm here and taking part, so... yeah, hi.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

*appears and stuff*

Hey~ I'm here.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Hiya Morc, post your character and a proposition for a team theme.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show