New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: To Walk a Dark Path (WotW Solo, Gremlin-pult) IC

Grumblejack nods, and a moment later is replaced by a towering human packed with muscle, all wrapped within the standard uniform of a Talirean soldier. Odenkirk looks a little surprised at the display of magic, but nods and does as commanded.

As predicted, the patrol ship closes on quickly, and before ten minutes are up it is near enough that you can read the name emblazoned on the hull - The Blade of Saint Martius. Talirean sailors line her deck, and as the ship closes one of them puts roars out an order.

"Heave to in the name of the King!"

Odenkirk, playing the obedient civilian, complies and before long the two ships are floating side by side. A large plank is placed between the two hulls, and a small group of soldiers cross to board the Frosthamar, their eyes wary and their hands near their swords. At their head is a tall man with dark hair just starting to go silver at the edges. From Thorn's lessons, you recognise his uniform as that of a captain.

"You are in charge here?" He addresses you, having evidently identified you as some kind of knight.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"That I am, captain. I am Sir Balin" Arak answers, pulling the silver amulet out from under his shirt and holding it up for the captain to see. "And I must implore you to let us be on our way. We are on an important assignment, and cannot afford any delays."

3. - Top - End - #183

"Of course sir, won't take long." The Captain says with a polite nod. "Ship name, cargo and destination please."

Spoiler
    Show
    You may need to roll Bluff when you come up with an answer, though more plausible ones will of course earn bonuses to the roll.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Of course, captain. But, I must ask that you and I speak about it in private. Some of this information is quite sensitive. I will tell you alone. If you will come with me, please." Arak answers with a smile, and walks down toward an empty part of the ship.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming that the captain follows me.

When they are out of earshot of others, Arak turns to the captain. "I am using this ship, the Frosthamar, to bring a load of weapons and armor to a specific destination in the Savage north. You may have heard rumors that the tribes of the north have been causing trouble of late. That is true, and our agents have discovered that they are very likely being aided by conspirators within Talingarde. Therefore, a special contingent of soldiers have been gathered beyond the wall, to spy on and hamper the enemy. They need proper equipment, but since it was uncertain who could be trusted, it was decided that the cargo was to be transported of the books. So you can see why I will need you to stay silent about this. We cannot allow our nation to be put in jeopardy."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm thinking that the story gets more believable if peppered with as much truth as possible, without really revealing anything.

Bluff roll: (1d20+2)[20]

5. - Top - End - #185

The Captain willingly follows you away from the other men, evidently not considering that a Knight could be anything less than trustworthy. He listens to your story attentively.

"One... does hear rumors, in this job." He says cautiously, slowly digesting what you have told him. "The men on the Wall haven't seen nearly as many Bugbears around lately as normal. That they are massing, preparing for something, I can well believe, but being assisted by Talireans?"

He shakes his head wonderingly. "What kind of madness would drive a man to such an act? Do not take this the wrong way, Sir Knight, but I hope you are wrong. I shall sleep easier knowing that no-one in this world is so foolish or vile. In the mean-time... I'll just put you down on the records as a trading ship then, shall I?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Lucky! He rolled a total of 20 on his Sense Motive, and the disguise and reasonably plausible story were enough to make him believe it.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"You are an honorable servant of your kingdom, captain." Arak says with a kind smile, putting a hand on the mans shoulder. "When this has been taken care of, you will be remembered."
    He then leads the captain back to the others, and waits patiently for him to finish up and leave.

7. - Top - End - #187

With the captain convinced, there is little more to be said. The soldiers do a cursory check of your ship, but nothing they find clashes with your story, so a few minutes later they return to their own vessel. The Blade of Saint Martius separates from your ship, pulls about and begins heading back to its original patrol route.

Grumblejack watches them go.

"I... cannot believe they bought that." He says, looking both bemused and vaguely disappointed that he won't get to try out his new axe.

Spoiler
    Show
    For conning your way past the sea patrol, gain 1200xp.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Patience, cousin." Arak murmurs with satisfaction as he watches The blade of Saint Martuis sail away. "It wasn't the time for a fight. You'll have plenty of opportunity to use that axe. Besides"
    His mouth widens in a cruel smile "Like I told the captain, he is a good servant of Talingarde. He will be remembered." Arak chuckles, then turns back to watching the landscape flowing by.
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2014-12-16 at 06:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189

With the threat from the Blade neatly averted, the Frosthamar continues on her way.

Two days later, Captain Odenkirk approaches you on the deck. This in itself is unusual, since the captain and the crew have generally made a point of avoiding or ignoring you when they can, but at least he isn't trying to smile. That truly would be worrying.

"We're running a little low on fresh water." He says to you. "Fortunately, I know a good place nearby to restock - it's called Seal Isle. Won't take more than a day or so, and in the meantime we'll be in some of the finest seal-hunting grounds this side of Talingarde. Figured I'd put together a little expedition or two, hunt some game. Interested?"

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"If it won't delay us anymore than getting fresh water will, then you are welcome to hunt seals. I will join you. It is a good opportunity to stretch my legs." Arak answers after a moments consideration. "But remember that we are on a tight schedule." He then walks over to Grumblejack. "You heard him, Grumblejack. We will be stopping for water, and for them to hunt.I want you to stay and guard the ship." Arak lowers his voice so only Grumblejack can hear him. "Keep an eye on them. they may be planning something. I will make sure they don't try anything on the island."

11. - Top - End - #191

Grumblejack nods seriously, accepting the duty given to him. In truth, you doubt the Ogre would particularly enjoy the challenges of fitting in a small hunting raft and trying to catch the nimble seals.

As it turns out, when Odenkirk says that Seal Isle is 'nearby' he is actually speaking of a detour that takes you off your projected route for several hours. Eventually, however, you reach the intended destination - a small island in the middle of a natural bay, which is indeed heavily populated by yapping seals.

With an eager grin, Odenkirk orders the two small hunting boats - little more than oversized kayaks, in truth - lowered into the water. He boards one with a member of his crew for support, leaving you to decide if you want to get involved by boarding the second.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you do, it'll be a Survival check, with a +2 bonus for the assistance of one of the sailors.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

With careful, deliberate motions, and no little nervousness, Arak steps down into the kayak.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival: (1d20+5)[15]

13. - Top - End - #193

Although it seems small and fragile at first glance, the Kayak turns out to be perfectly bouyant, and with the aid of one of Odenkirk's sailors you are soon skimming over the small waves of the bay.

Hunting the seals proves to be something of a challenge - there is nowhere to hide on the open water, and your prey is faster than you and has the option of diving to safety under the waves. After a while, though, you manage to get the hang of it, utilizing fairly rapid turns to surprise the seals and making the most of the short window of opportunity this creates to spear or otherwise catch them.

Before too long, you manage to make a kill yourself, and with the sailor's help drag your prey onto the kayak.

"Good eating on one of these." The sailor says approvingly. "The pelts will sell for a decent amount as well, if you take them to any reasonable port."

Before you can respond, however, your kayak rocks slightly as though disturbed by the passage of something just beneath you...

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Not at all used to being at sea, Arak looks down with a start.
    "What was that?" He exclaims "Something hit the boat. Something in the water."

Spoiler
    Show
    A perception roll to locate what it was. Arak is slightly paranoid right now
    (1d20+6)[16]

15. - Top - End - #195

The waters of the bay are deep and dark, but with luck and practice it is possible to peer through the waves and discern the forms of those things that swim beneath the surface. As you search for the source of the disturbance, your eyes catch a glimpse of a particular section of the water perhaps twenty foot away, where the waves part and are displaced by something large moving at speed just beneath them.

Then you see what is the source of the ripples, and your blood runs cold.

Spoiler: The Beast
    Show

The sailor in the boat with you follows your gaze, and curses as he catches sight of the creature as well a moment later.

"Bunyip." He says grimly, already seizing the oar and turning your kayak around as quickly as he can. "Drawn by the blood, no doubt. They don't attack large vessels, but something as small as a kayak..."

At that point, the man's words are proven almost prophetic. Still under the water, the aquatic beast makes another pass at your boat, and this time the shuddering movement is considerably more violent...

Spoiler
    Show

Please make a DC 10 Acrobatics check to remain on your kayak. And in case you fail, a Fortitude save (the water is absolutely bloody freezing...)

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Dammit all!" Arak roars as he desperately tries to get a hold of the sides of the boat "I will not be done in by water, or an overgrown seal!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics: (1d20+7)[16]

17. - Top - End - #197

Fortunately, you manage to keep your balance in the wildly rocking boat. Just as fortunately, the sailor paddling the boat back towards the Frosthamar is equally steady, and you continue to make good progress. You can already see the other members of the crew on the deck of the ship watching your journey anxiously, with the exception of Grumblejack, who is somewhere out of sight.

"They're really more like sharks, I think..."

The sailor with you attempts some dry banter, but the pale cast to his face indicates how unsettled he truly is. In the distance, you can see that Odenkirk's kayak appears to be having similar problems - there are two of the beasts then, at the least.

A moment later, the animal attacking you surfaces not far away, leaping through the air with a curious kind of heavy grace. It seems to fix you with scarlet eyes before it hits the water again, and at the last moment lets out a horrifying roar.

The sound is far louder than something that size has any right to produce, and it seems to touch something deep within your soul that sets your mind to gibbering with primal fear...

Spoiler
    Show
    And a DC 13 will save please, or you will become Panicked for a few rounds and likely overturn the kayak.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

As cold sweat starts running down his forehead, Arak looks at the boat.
    "No, no, no. Dark one please. This is no way to die..." He mutters, desperately trying not to panic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save: (1d20+3)[16]

19. - Top - End - #199

Recalling your training, you manage to resist the urge to panic. Perhaps inspired by your example, the sailor in the boat does likewise, and a moment later you reach the Frosthamar, where a long rope awaits you.

The moment you grasp the rope, there is a sharp tug, and you are lifted clear from the Kayak and deposited onto the deck in a single smooth motion. There is only one individual you know strong enough to do that so easily, and a moment later your expectation is confirmed as Grumblejack claps you on the back before lowering his rope down for the sailor as well.

You have a few moments to gather yourself, as not far off Captain Odenkirk's kayak rocks dangerously in the water, it's passengers desperately trying to remain afloat...

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Seeing the kayak rocking back and forth, Arak curses. Can we sail to our destination without him? It would make my task easier... He thinks. Arak looks out at the boat a moment more, then curses again Cant risk it. The shipment is more important.
    Seeking inside himself, Arak locates the well of dark, roiling energy his master has granted him. Forcing it through his body, he gathers it in his hand until a visible mist of darkness manifests around it. Arak then takes aim and wills the energy to fly towards the Bunyip.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arak uses the "Shadow feather strike", sending a feather-like projectile of dark energy out to a range of 30 ft. Since you wrote that the other kayak isn't far away, Im hoping its close enough for me to hit the Bunyip.
    Oh, and a perception check to locate the Bunyip in the, since you haven't stated exactly where it is. If I can't see it, Arak doesn't fire the shadow feather strike.

perception: (1d20+6)[9]

ranged touch attack: (1d20+7)[26]
    damage: (4d6+2)[17]
    the damage from this strike is profane damage.

21. - Top - End - #201

What happens next almost seems to occur in slow motion. The second Bunyip, a solid mass of muscle and gleaming teeth, leaps free of the water with a single powerful motion, diving through the air towards the Kayak. Odenkirk looks up at it, eyes widening. And the arc of dark energy released from your hand smashes into the beast, knocking it sideways in a shower of blood.

The bunyip falls back into the water of the bay, seriously wounded, and does not return to the surface again. Taking advantage of the reprieve, Odenkirk's men propel the remaining kayak back towards their ship, abandoning the hunting expedition in favour of the safety offered by the Frosthamar's bulk.

As the humans clamber back on board, Grumblejack takes you aside for a word.

"I checked the water." He says quietly, making sure that none of the crew are within earshot. "He was lying. There's plenty left, enough to make it to the camp and back at least."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Arak's eyes narrow as he watches Odenkirk paddling back to the ship. "Is that so..." He mutters, his voice flat and without emotion. He then walks over to the sailor who was in the kayak with him, and puts a hand on his shoulder. "Tell me, sailor, how many men are needed to sail this ship?" He asks, still showing no emotion whatsoever.

23. - Top - End - #203

"Uh... three, maybe?" The sailor responds with a frown. "I wouldn't want to try an ocean crossing with just that, but for coastal work it would probably be fine. We're not a skeleton crew, if you were wondering - only an idiot goes somewhere like this without planning for possible casualties."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Thank you." Arak says, and he then steps over to wait for the captain to arrive on board once more.

When the captain is on board the ship again, Arak calls out. "Captain, please gather your men over here. I have something to say to all of you."

25. - Top - End - #205

"We're all here, goblin." Odenkirk says roughly, gesturing around the deck. And indeed, the full complement of the Frosthamar is assembled, most currently occupied bringing the kayaks and the caught seals on board. "Don't expect us to stop working for some pretty speech, though."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

¨"Of course not, captain. We wouldn't want anything to delay our trip, would we now?" Arak answers a smile playing across his lips. He walks over to stand next to the sailor who was in the kayak with him, and who answered his question before. "You are a good crew member, my friend. You do your job well, kept your head when the Bunyip was after us, and answered my question without delay before." Arak says kindly. "Now I'm sure we can both agree that the only reason we made this detour and stopped here was because good captain Odenkirk said we needed fresh water." Arak pauses, looking around to see if he has everyones attention before continuing "And now my companion, My trusted cousin Grumblejack here, tells me that there is plenty of water in the hold. Which means that the captain lied. That this detour was completely unnecessary."
    Arak then puts a hand on his shoulder, and looks him in the eye. "Now what can we do about that, my friend?"
    And with a smooth motion, Arak gathers the dark energy in his hand once more, until it crackles like black fire, and plunges his straightened finger into the sailors abdomen, releasing the energy inside him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arak uses the Inner demon strike, dealing his unarmed damage, and an additional 4d6 profane damage to the saior. Arak also takes 1d6 damage himself. Since this attack is mostly a theatrical way to put some fear into Odenkirk, I'm not sure if you'll want the rolls, but I'll make them just in case.

Attack roll: (1d20+8)[26]
    damage: (1d3+3)[6]
    profane damage: (4d6)[19]

crit confirm: (1d20+8)[13]
    extra crit damage: (1d3+3)[5]

damage to Arak (normal damage, not profane): (1d6)[1]

27. - Top - End - #207

Under the surge of profane energy, the sailor almost seems to come apart, various body parts separating from one another in a spectacularly gory mess.

At the sight of this, Odenkirk lets loose an incredibly virulent-sounding string of words in his native language, drawing his axe. All around him, the other crew members let out cries of horror and rage and go for whatever weapons they can find to hand

The captain looks, quite simply, utterly furious. He stalks towards you, brandishing his weapon.

"My ship. My men." He all but growls. "You pay."

Spoiler
    Show
    So, unless I'm reading this wrong I'm pretty sure you've misread Odenkirk's character somewhat. You have precisely one chance to avert violence here, or I'll have to ask you to roll initiative.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"This happened because you lied, Captain!" Arak roars, not retreating an inch from the furious man. "You were hired for one thing, to get me and the cargo to our respective destinations. YOU lied about the need for water, to go on your seal hunt. YOU did this, knowing full well that it was a breach of your agreement with Thorn. This man is dead, Because of YOUR lie!" Looking the man straight in the eye, Arak continues in a lower voice "Do you really expect to do something like this, and not receive any retribution when it is discovered? This is no ones fault but yours. He died, because of you. The only reason he is on the ground instead of you, is because you are more vital to this task than he is."
    Walkin forward until he stands up close with Odenkirk, Arak hisses "Did you truly believe you could make a fool out of a servant of Asmodeus and walk away scot free? You got of easy. Now Stand. Down. Captain."

Spoiler
    Show
    I know I probably read this guy completely wrong, but hell if I'm backing down. I'll try an intimidation check, to see if I can make him back down

intimidate: (1d20+9)[22]

29. - Top - End - #209

For a long, exceedingly tense moment, you and Captain Odenkirk square off in the middle of the deck. The human is almost insane with fury, his muscles bulging to the point where his weapon trembles in his grip. And yet you do not back down, do not flinch in the face of his anger, meeting his gaze with your own until the air almost crackles with the tension created by the clash of wills.

Some of the crew look like they might weigh in, but Grumblejack simply looks at them and places his massive axe on his shoulder, the sight of which seems to convince them to leave this one between the two of you.

Eventually, however, Odenkirk lowers his weapon. He nods to you, albeit grudgingly.

"No more delay." He says, each word unwillingly wrenched from between clenched teeth. "Two days to river. One more to journey's end."

Then said, he turns and stalks away, already barking orders to his crew in his strange foreign tongue. Grumblejack watches as they scramble into action, and chuckles slightly to himself.

"Might want to sleep in shifts." He offers dryly, glancing down at the blasted corpse of the sailor. "In case anyone thought him a good friend."

Spoiler
    Show
    That, on the other hand, was pretty much the perfect way to handle Odenkirk in that situation. Mentioning Asmodeus, Thorn and the fact that you are clearly a dangerous bastard, all of which he respects, and not backing down.

Good job. Gain 800xp.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Agreed" Arak says, watching Odenkirk walk away. "While I don't believe any of them would have the guts to try anything after their captain backed down, we won't take any chances."