New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Challenger RPG new group

So I'm on a 9 month global trip with a group of six other people, and they've displayed a willingness to try this out. The issue is I don't really know how to set up a campaign that will interest them. They know what they want to play, and seem relatively enthusiastic, so any help will be appreciated.

Their classes are as follows:
    Ninja/Assassin
    Hunter/Assassin
    Spy/Master Thief
    Spy/Assassin
    Knifethrower/beastmaster
    Pirate/Barbarian

Challenger encourages multiclassing just in case anyone was wondering. So plot ideas that will work for this group, hooks, NPCs, adventure ideas, any and all advice is welcome.
    "Somebody has to start. Somebody has to step forward and do what is right, because it is right. If nobody starts, then others cannot follow." -Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

“Jasnah had once defined a fool as a person who ignored information because it disagreed with desired results." - Words of Radiance, Brandon Sanderson

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Challenger RPG new group

The group composition strongly suggests that most of the group wants a game that involves a lot of sneaking around assassinating people. There are also some wild area focused things.

As such, I recommend making a setting that focuses on the criminal underworld of a frontier town, or maybe a string of frontier towns. The nice thing about criminal activity is that it can tie in to just about anything else which lets you bring in all sorts of other setting elements - it's also well suited to assassinations.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Awesome. Are there any adventure paths or campaigns online that I could use for inspiration? I've only ever played in/run slightly more combat centered campaigns, with very little stealth. The group I usually play with likes to go in shooting.
    "Somebody has to start. Somebody has to step forward and do what is right, because it is right. If nobody starts, then others cannot follow." -Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

“Jasnah had once defined a fool as a person who ignored information because it disagreed with desired results." - Words of Radiance, Brandon Sanderson

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rukeen2 View Post
    Awesome. Are there any adventure paths or campaigns online that I could use for inspiration? I've only ever played in/run slightly more combat centered campaigns, with very little stealth. The group I usually play with likes to go in shooting.
    There probably are, but I can't say I'm familiar with any. I have minimal familiarity at best with premade adventures and campaigns though, so that doesn't mean much.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.