New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Banned

Default Re: "Murder, Lies and Civic Duty." a Pathfinder Campaign Journal

Quote Originally Posted by razorfloss View Post
    i cant wait for that to come back and bite them in the behind god i love this journal kavos and gandi are an entertaining read
    I think it just did. Now the town has TWO Sheriffs. And one has a grudge against the new mayor.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    Please KJ, please, please please keep this campaign going. It's incredibly entertaining. I cannot wait to hear more.
    I hope it continues for a while yet, but when it does end I see it ending messy and abruptly. Not something I'm planning, it's just what I assume's going to happen.

i cant wait for that to come back and bite them in the behind god i love this journal kavos and gandi are an entertaining read
    Thankya, they get a kick out of knowing that so many people find them amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    I think it just did. Now the town has TWO Sheriffs. And one has a grudge against the new mayor.
    Yep, now for it to LITERALLY come bite them in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

I wager that Kavos and Gandil will be able to convince people not to listen to a ghoul and claim that he's lying and then either try to destroy him or offer him a deal of some kind.

Or he'll just try to rip them apart on sight, but where's the fun in that?
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

4. - Top - End - #94

Alright, first half of our seventh session is done. It's a little short for the same reason that the last one was, the combat took a looooong time to resolve and a loooong time go through and pick out the interesting bits. Hope you enjoy!

Spoiler
    Show
    The battle rages on, snapping Kavos out of his reverie. He uses another burst of Command Undead to turn ghoul against ghoul but the horde marches onward. Gandil is pushed back until he's nearly impaled on one of the few remaining pikes and with a burst of agility leaps back up onto the wall ahead of his pursuers.

"We need Junior!" Kavos shouts over the din of battle. "Gandil, go get Junior!"

The others on the wall have no idea what Kavos is talking about but shout for him to go as well, any help would be appreciated at this point. Gandil for his part doesn't want to involve Mr Baby in such a bloody conflict but sees that idealism has no place against a horde of the undead and leaps from the wall, running into town and shouting for Rambalt to open the door.

Ghouls and ghasts finally breach the East and South walls, Deputies Devon and Horace retreat inside one of the safehouses as the horde overwhelms their position and do what they can to keep the ghouls from battering their way into the house. Rutgard is bitten what seems like a dozen times by the ravenous horde but every swing of his mighty sword drops an attacker and the ghoul standing next to it. Lark fires his last arrow into the face of an approaching ghast before hoisting a spear and joining Looman and Bartan's hasty retreat from the wall; they keep back to back and inch towards the inn.

Outside the wall the hooded figure drives the remaining undead away from the north wall and broken those that resist while Kavos directs summoned wolves and ants as well as a subverted pair of ghasts in thinning the herd while liberally peppering the scariest looking ones with whatever offensive spells he can think of. He novas through most everything he's got, however he can see an end in sight. Only a few dozen remain, more than half the undead army is laying dead at their feet...although half an undead army is still far more than should be let loose inside the village.

Gandil bolts towards Rambalt's house but before he gets there he sees a trio of ghouls and a ghast batter their way into a small house, he hears the scream of a woman and her children and doesn't even stop to think before changing direction and cleaving the ghast in half with his enchanted falchion. He sees fifteen people stuffed into the little house and while two of the ghouls leap on him and pin him against the door, the third leaps into the crowd biting and clawing. The civilians go down to its paralysis and would have been lost had he not abandoned his bulky sword and shredded his attackers with his deadly claws. The third ghoul doesn't even see him coming as he quite literally tears its head off with his bare hands.

The people are panicking and there's blood everywhere but Gandil doesn't have time to stop, and even if he did he doesn't have the skill to assist, so he shouts for the ones left standing to barricade the door behind him and help the wounded as best they can; he swears he'll be back for them.

Devon and Horace have lost the majority of their safehouse, having retreated into the basement and are holding the stairs against the increasingly agitated horde as best they can. With nowhere left to go they, and everyone else in the house, are as good as dead if falter for so much as a second. They're nearly overwhelmed by half a dozen ghouls backed up pungent ghasts whose stench threatens to disable them; when they suddenly find relief in the form of a raging half-orc mercenary bursting through one of their severely damaged walls like the Kool-Aid man, half blinded by the viscera dripping in his eyes as one undead after another becomes a gory fountain of blood and filth.

Lark, Looman and Bartan finally fight their way to the inn and discover it besieged by more ghouls than they can count in their fear-addled state. They lay into the horde with spear and sword from behind while the occupants inside use sharpened broomhandles, torches made from chair-legs and pillowcases filled with cooking utensils to keep the horde from overwhelming them.

Gandil finally reaches Rambalt's abode and discovers that the little mage has been hastily strapping leather scraps to an amused Junior in lieu of actual armor to fit him. Rambalt is visibly pale and simply asks "Is it time?"

"YES!" Gandil shouts in his best 'no doi' voice before slamming the door behind him and charging face first into yet another pack of ghouls polluting his town.

Rambalt leads Junior outside by one of his great meaty hands and the childlike golem seems amazed with everything. It gawks at the clouds, it grins at the sun and tries to catch a soft breeze that brushes against it. Rambalt chews his lip nervously and releases Junior hand, taking a few steps back away from him as a pair of ghasts leading half a dozen ghouls flood around the corner.

Gandil sees them charging straight for Mr Baby and tries to break away from his own fight to help, but is dragged down by his opponents and loses a chunk of his side for his compassion. Junior sees the charging undead and raises his hands to them, trying feel their squishy flesh. One of the ghasts sinks its teeth into his forearm until they hit bone.

Junior gives a pathetic cry like some great baritone infant and stumbles back, Gandil tries to surge forward and help him but once again finds that ghouls don't like to let victims just walk away. Rambalt steps back further, grasping his staff to himself tightly and holding his breath. "Rambalt!" Gandil screams. "Help him dammit! Don't just-"

Junior's wail turns into a roar and it flails it's injured arm with such force that the offending ghast's head comes off with a bloody pop. It continues flailing and brings both of its arms down on the second ghast's shoulders so hard that the creature literally snaps in half.

Gandil, hell even the formerly singleminded ghouls, stops what they're doing and simply gawks at the now enraged Mr Baby's tantrum. Gandil takes this opportunity to gut his attackers and run off to find more. Feeling as though he should wipe a tear from his eye as he sees Junior charge in a different direction wielding a mismatched pair of ghoul arms in his hands and roaring for blood.

They grow up so fast...

Outside the walls, Kavos has stooped to magic missling ghouls with his wand while the hooded figure mops up the remainder of the resistance. Finally they find each other face to face with no distractions and Kavos can see with no doubt that the figure is former sheriff Curtis Longarm..and he seems pissed. Whatever strange magic brought Gandil back seems to work both ways.

"Longarm?" Kavos asks nervously.

The figure growls menacingly and replies "Used to be."

The ghoulified half-orc charges him and Kavos just barely manages to cast Sanctuary on himself to avoid Longarm's grapple attempt.

The murdered sheriff grins wickedly and tries again, seeming to will himself through the effects of sanctuary to grab Kavos by the collar and hurl the suddenly terrified priest face first into the mud and the blood of the battlefield. Kavos tries to cast another spell in self defense but catches a kick from Longarm that breaks ribs and stops his prayer mid-sentence.

"You murdered me." Longarm growls, lifting Kavos so that they're staring at each other face to face.

Coughing up blood Kavos tries to look innocent. "Technically, it was the spiders that murdered you." he offers helpfully before being hurled about fifteen feet away by the hulking ghoul.

Gasping for air, Kavos nevertheless considers this a fortuitous turn of events and quickly casts Searing Light onto the approaching Longarm. The orc withers and burs under the effects of the spell, but weathers it just fine. The punch that Longarm places into Kavos's nose however nearly kills the elderly priest and he responds with the last trick up his sleeve: Command Undead.

Longarm's grin broadens as Kavos's attempt to control him fails and Kavos's heart skips a beat as he realizes why. Longarm's spirit is bolstered by a dark force, a presence that Kavos recognizes and knows well. Longarm is already under the control of a powerful cleric of Asmodeous.

Longarm delivers another blow to Kavos's midsection that drops the priest in the dirt. "Don't worry, I'm not going to kill you." the snarling ghoul says, hoisting Kavos up by his collar. "Not yet anyway. HE wouldn't like it, says the town needs someone like you. I'll be back though priest, make sure to tell your friend." Longarm says, dropping Kavos's limp form casually.

Wild theories flood Kavos's mind and he realizes that somebody has been suspiciously absent today of all days. Kavos thinks back to what Longarm himself said about bodies disappearing when they got here; to their bandit captive just so happening to chew his own tongue off during his last meal; to the unconsecrated altar of Pelor and the missing infected who were mysteriously moved for their 'own good'. To the unholy symbols which covered the Jannerson's place; he KNEW they were too much for those unwashed heathens to carve on their own! To the only man that's had access to Longarm's body since his death and to Gandil's before that...

"Where is Father Adrian?" Kavos shouts to Longarm's back.

The former sheriff stops in his tracks and laughs for a long moment before turning around to face the broken mayor, a strange mix of humor; fear and disgust flashes over the orc's face as he says "Where he's always been. Doing God's work."
    Last edited by Kid Jake; 2014-12-17 at 02:38 PM.

My Campaign Journals

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

*evil laughter*
    Bravo, Kid Jake Bravo
    *clapping*

I can't wait for the second half of the session.
    Last edited by GorinichSerpant; 2014-12-17 at 04:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96

Thankya, thankya. I was worried that some of my clues might've been a little hamfisted, but surprisingly nobody ever questioned them. Just a 'well that's odd' right up until the moment when somebody basically came right out and told 'em.

My Campaign Journals

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Does this mean the church of Asmodeus is an enemy of the Duke? Or was it just an act on the part of Father Adrian?

8. - Top - End - #98

Father Adrian himself has problems with the Duke, I think it's the end of this session that they find out the extent.

My Campaign Journals

9. - Top - End - #99

Alright, here's the rest of our seventh session. Hope you enjoy.

Spoiler
    Show
    When the last of the ghouls are battered down everyone takes a moment to survey the damage. Several people have been bitten, but thanks to the effects of Rambalt's potion it doesn't look like many are actually infected and Kavos assures those that are that he can heal them tomorrow. Surprisingly they don't seem to have lost anybody in the attack, even the severely wounded are stable.

The town sort of gawks at the sight of Rambalt leading a sulking Junior back to his home by the hand, but considering the number of ghouls the creature killed nobody seems inclined to mention him if Rambalt doesn't. The rest of the defenders are hailed as heroes, particularly the bloody and beaten Kavos who stayed outside the walls to slow the horde's assault.

The celebration is shortlived however as Lark immediately puts the town back to work, resetting the traps; laying new ones and dragging corpses off their fortifications. Bartan and Rutgard retire to the inn to drink and mend their wounds while Gandil and the deputies start repairing their weapons. Lark collects as many of his arrows as he can from the ghouls before setting out to make him some new ones and Kavos just collapses in his home to panick about Longarm's reemergence by himself.

Things go on as normal for the day but during the night Deputy Devon approaches Gandil with some bad news: Several of the apparently cured Eastbank infected seem to have had relapses; luckily Father Adrian caught it before they could spread their contagion further and quarantined them with the rest.

Gandil's saddened by this news, but assumes that Father Adrian knows what he's doing, it's not until he informs the exhausted Kavos that he learns of Longarm's revival and Father Adrian's potential involvement. Gandil leaves Kavos to rest the night away and paces the town, trying to think of something useful to do.

Thinking of nothing he decides he'll just visit the Unicorn.

As usual the wolves begin following Gandil the second he enters the forest, unlike usual they growl and circle him; letting him know he's not welcome here. By the time Gandil reaches the unicorn's grove it's already waiting for him.

"I approach Unicorn!" Gandil calls out, holding his hands up peacefully.

The unicorn's nostrils flare distastefully. "You smell of dead things, man-flesh."

"I AM dead things unicorn!" Gandl says, removing his hat and revealing his monstrous visage. The wolves bare their teeth and their hair bristles on end; the unicorn instinctively snorts a challenge but otherwise maintains its composure.

"Speak then, dead-flesh. Why have you come here?" the unicorn growls.

"Sheriff Longarm walks the earth once again, his corpse was in your care for some time. I came to inquire about that." Gandil says accusingly.

"Dead-flesh wonders how the dead may walk?" the unicorn says with a hint of amusement. "We had the orc for only a day and have no knowledge of what comes after death. Our dominion is nature and what has afflicted you and your kind is...decidedly unnatural."

Gandil seems disappointed. "Tell me then unicorn, could you restore my humanity? This form grants me great power, but if the townspeople knew the truth...I don't think they'd understand."

"There are ways to return the dead to life." the unicorn states. "But humanity? That we cannot guarantee. You will not be as you were...but that may not be a bad thing."

"Am I under someone else's control?" Gandil asks. "A powerful wizard told me that might be the case."

The unicorn ponders for a moment. "You stink of magic, dead-flesh, though we do not know what kind. You walk when you ought not, that requries immense magic of some kind...but as we said; our dominion is the natural and you are anything but."

"I want to propose a partnership." Gandil blurts out. "I understand if you do not wish to ally yourself with an immortal like myself, but we both have the Duke to worry about. I propose we work together to raze the Duke and his people. I destroyed Eastbank with my new powers and with your help I can do it again!" the demented ghoul brags.

The unicorn nods slowly, an idea forming in its head. "You are an interesting...partner." it says. "We also wish to see the Duke broken. We accept your proposal...for now."

Several of the wolves look at the unicorn with something like betrayal written on their faces but know better than to question their master.

"I will inform my partner and see you in three moons from this day!" Gandil says, bolting excitedly back the way he came. "We will hatch a plan most foul unicorn!"

Spoiler
    Show

Gandil returns to find Kavos healing the last of Westbank's infected, still looking pretty battered. Gandil quickly tells Kavos about his dealings with the unicorn, Kavos is barely conscious and tries to blow Gandil off. The impatient sheriff touches Kavos on the arm and the elderly priest seizes up and falls over from the paralysis.

"Whoops." Gandil says nervously, glancing around to see if anyone saw that.

They did.

"Are you alright Mayor Kavos?" a concerned voice calls out. Father Adrian jogs over from his temple, seeming to be genuinely concerned to see Kavos sprawled on the ground.

"I'm fine." Kavos says once his muscles work again. "I just tripped and had the wind knocked out of me."

"He's lying Father Adrian, this man needs your help!" Gandil says quickly, seeing an opportunity here. "He's just too proud to admit it, can we take him somewhere more private?"

"Have you been unwell?" Adrian asks, offering an arm for support which Kavos takes and adds a throaty cough for dramatic effect.

"Ever since taking Rambalt's potion to prevent the disease I've felt a bit feverish." Kavos lies. "I must be allergic to one of the roots."

Adrian clicks his tongue in disapproval and leads the pair into the temple and at Gandil's suggestion into his personal quarters. It's a small, modest room with few luxuries. Adrian pulls out a chair from his writing desk and slides it next to his bed, motioning for Kavos to sit.

"I've been having hallucinations as well." Kavos continues.

"That's troubling." Father Adrian says, taking a seat on his bed. "What sort?"

"During the battle to save the town, I swear I saw Sheriff Longarm return to save everybody." Kavos admits.

Father Adrian smiles sadly. "A pleasant hallucination, but unlikely. After all, I buried him myself."

"I would rest easier if I could pay my last respects." Kavos says. "Where was he buried again?"

Father Adrian smiles. "The same place we're all buried, in our communal graveyard; roughly a quarter mile due north. I didn't make much spectacle of it because, what with the letter the two of you found on him...I didn't want anyone to make a scene. Whatever his mistakes, I'm sure that Curtis did his best for us"

Gandil starts looking over the room, particularly poking around a section of hooks containing a considerable number of Pelor holy symbols; the kind that priests would carry with them at all times.

"Devon told us that the refugees had a relapse." Kavos mentions. "What happened?"

Father Adrian shakes his head. "Perhaps it's the magical nature of the disease? Or perhaps just the filthy conditions reafflicted them. It's a true tragedy."

Gandil probes the holy symbols further, he's surprised to discover that most are well worn as though they were carried for years.

"As far as I know the disease only transmits through contact with ghouls." Kavos says. "I had used spells, given them potions and watched them carefully. It doesn't make sense..." he says as though musing to himself.

Gandil casually tosses the largest symbol at the ground, wanting to see if it would break and reveal something inside it. It bounces off the ground with a metallic twang and Gandil holds his hands up as though he'd accidentally knocked it over.

"Please be careful!" Father Adrian almost shouts with a surprise gasp, he quickly kneels and retrieves the fallen holy symbol reverently; returning it to its place on the wall. "These belonged to my brothers; long, long ago."

"They aren't yours?" Gandil asks.

"No." Father Adrian says, shaking his head sadly. "They belonged to the men who ran this temple when I was only an acolyte. They were killed during the Duke's rebellion." the priest says darkly. "I keep them here because I cannot bear the thought of locking them away somewhere."

Turning back to Kavos, Adrian asks if they should quarantine the other survivors just to be safe.

"I don't think that's necessary." Kavos replies, "I'm sure they'll be fine, in fact I'll have deputy Devon keep an eye on them to make sure."

Father Adrian smiles. "Of course."

"Father, I've always been fascinate by Pelor. What would you say is your favorite piece of his scripture?" Gandil asks, hoping to catch Adrian; though without any Knowledge: Religion of his own I'm not sure how.

Adrian looks to the heavens and says "Though the darkness is deep you shall not fear its coming, for the rays of Pelor are swift and true; and that which is obscured by the wicked shall be unveiled by the light."

Gandil glances at Kavos who gets what he's going for and briefly flashes an Asmodean symbol (the equivalent of Asmodeansayswhat?) as he scratches his nose.

Father Adrian's smile deepends, though he doesn't respond. "It seems as though your weakness has passed Kavos; if you feel up to it I'll let the two of you be on your way. Make sure you visit Curtis's grave sometime; I'm sure he'd appreciate it."

"Are you a true follower of Pelor?" Gandil shouts, tiring of the games. "Did you raise Longarm from the dead?"

"We're done here Gandil." Kavos hisses through his teeth.

Father Adrian shakes his head. "I've followed Pelor's teachings for nearly 60 years. I've been the sole keeper of this temple for 40; I don't see how I could be truer." he says sadly. "It's true that I never officially took my rites, but that's difficult with the swords of the Duke's men lodged in the chests of the priesthood."

Kavos apologizes for Gandil's outburst and half drags the sheriff out the door.

"Gandil we don't have time for this right now." Kavos says, "We've got work to do."

"That's what I'm doing. I'm trying to expose him as a-" Gandil starts but is interrupted by Kavos.

"Real work Gandil, real work. I need you to gather up as many of the ghouls as you can and meet me at the lake; I need a short rest to refresh myself and I'll follow." Kavos says.

"Then what?" Gandil asks.

"Then, we're going swimming." Kavos responds as though it were the most obvious thing in the world.

My Campaign Journals

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

So much tension. They need to just ice that padre asap.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

11. - Top - End - #101

the tension is so thick it can be cut with a knife. i cant wait for the final confrontation
    Its not about having good grades It's about passing the semester

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Nicholas (Nick if he likes you) Lorchester
    Jeqem Ashthorn

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, I can't see them fighting someone who shares their opposition to the Duke.

Though I wonder what Gandil's plan is, and Kavos' for that matter.

13. - Top - End - #103

So much tension. They need to just ice that padre asap.
    the tension is so thick it can be cut with a knife. i cant wait for the final confrontation
    Surprisingly they haven't even mentioned doing anything about Adrian even though they're pretty much positive that he's responsible for sicking Longarm on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Hmm, I can't see them fighting someone who shares their opposition to the Duke.

Though I wonder what Gandil's plan is, and Kavos' for that matter.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're going to want him on their side, especially after they see his toys. Funny enough when I first came up with Father Adrian I assumed they were going to be the classic good guys and wanted to include a moral quandry; a guy that wants the same thing as thing but is willing to go much, much further than they are to get it so that they have to choose between keeping a powerful ally or putting down a mad dog. Turns out they're just as crazy as he is (in Gandil's case maybe more so) and I'm still not sure what they're going to end up doing.

I'm not sure Gandil actually has a plan, he just likes to be dramatic and dashing like an action hero. Kavos seems more concerned about the immediate future and surviving the ghouls than anything else; one thing at a time and all that.
    Last edited by Kid Jake; 2014-12-20 at 01:04 AM.

My Campaign Journals

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

the tension is so thick it can be cut with a knife.
    Ya know what needs to get cut with a knife? Father Adrian.

15. - Top - End - #105

Ya know what needs to get cut with a knife? Father Adrian.
    Why all the hate?

My Campaign Journals

16. - Top - End - #106

Alright, here's our eighth session in its entirety. Sadly, it seems that I've ran out of sessions to post for now. Hopefully we'll have another game to advance the plot soon. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kavos and Gandil meet up on the shore of the Lake, Gandil has a small handcart stuffed with eight ghoul corpses and Kavos is looking considerably more refreshed. Gandil finds Kavos stripping down to his skivvies and folding his clothing into a neat pile.

Kavos has Gandil help him arrange the corpses along the river bank and then casts Desecrate over the area, followed by Animate Dead. Eight zombies rise from death and blankly await Kavos's command.

Gandil glances around to make sure that they're alone and removes his hat, stuffing it into a pouch so that he won't lose it in the lake. Kavos nearly gasps at his true form. His hands have been replaced by a series of six inch, articulated blades with only enough meat left between them to hold them together and allow use of his ghoul paralysis. Gandil's face is the real shocker though, the lower jaw has been completely replaced by a metal one, filled with jagged, razor sharp teeth. Gandil's upper jaw has been basically carved away for a similar prosthetic. Gandil catches Kavos looking at him and asks "What?"

Kavos replies "Nothing." and chuckles to himself, leading his gruesome army into the lake, casting Water Breathing on himself as he goes. Gandil instinctively takes a deep breath before diving into the water, even though his lungs are just for decoration now.

The lake is quite large and in only a short time they can't even see the bottom any longer. Kavos casts Light on his staff to give them some illumination down here and then casts Helping Hand, focusing on the locathah he caught before.

Gandil is trying to explain the upside to being a zombie swiss army knife as they swim deeper down, until Kavos holds up a hand to silence him. The elderly priest had just seen a shape in the water more than twice as long as a horse, moving fast and beyond their view.

Gandil glances around chomping his teeth menacingly when suddenly what looks like a shark snatches one of the zombies in its massive jaws. Sharks aren't well known for their fresh water expeditions however and with a second glance they realize that it's in fact a giant catfish.

Kavos casts Cause Fear on the catfish and begins swimming down with his horde. Gandil notices two more of the creatures at the edge of their vision and they appear to have riders, yellow scaled locathah wielding tridents.

Kavos breathes a sigh of relief and tells Gandil that it's alright, they're friendly.

As they get closer it seems that there are four other yellow scaled locathah with them and they all appear to be charging. Kavos is suddenly not so sure that they are in fact friendly and Gandil leaps into action, sinking his metal teeth into the hilt of one of the rider's trident. Kavos shouts that they're here to negotiate.

The second rider spears Gandil with his trident and deals about a third of his overall HP in damage to him with a lucky crit.

Kavos casts Comprehend Language to try and reason with these people and hears what appears to be the leader screaming about how surface dwellers are allies of the Tso'Cha!

As if on cue, two orange scaled locathah wielding spears appear from below the yellow scaled ones and manage to impale one of them outright. Gandil snatches the trident from his mouth and lunges forward, biting his victims face clean off his body. Surprisingly the fish man hits the spot and he realizes these people are edible. The creature's mount bites Gandil around the legs while the second locathah charges Kavos and slices the priest across the chest.

Kavos remains treading water and shouting that he comes in peace. Gandil shouts "I do the biting around here!" and chews through the catfish's spine . The orange locathah kill two more of the approaching yellow ones.

"Who is Tso'Cha?" Kavos shouts at his attack, barely dodging its trident.

"We are!" calls one of the orange skinned locathah which sounds a bit like the 'ambassador' Kavos was looking for. Kavos nods and motions for his zombies to deal with the yellow ones. Three of them drag the trident wielding locathah off and tear into him while the rest latch onto the catfish and break it apart.

"We must leave before the Le'uin return!" the ambassador shouts, spearing the last of the yellow scales. Kavos agrees and the creature motions for them to follow as best they can.

It swims deeper and deeper until it approaches the bottom of the lake; they can see a strange honeycomb of holes and trenches dug into the lakebed which seeming extends indefinitely in all directions. The ambassador leads them to one of the holes and swims in.

Inside are rather tight corridors which the creature traverses by dragging itself along with its upper body, propelling itself through the water and around tight corners with a strange grace. It leads them through a series of twisting passages and they watch as other shades of locathah; blue, green and brown cower before their orange scaled guides and press themselves out of the way as if to avoid notice.

After several long moments the passageway which the creature is leading them down empties out into a chamber roughly 40ft by 20ft and filled with others of its kind. The bones of all 10 sheep are mounted reverently on their walls like trophies and the creatures seem to be feasting on strange meat.

It takes a moment before they notice that green, yellow, blue and brown scaled haunches are displayed on the creatures makeshift table and several terrified locathah with green and blue scales are chained to a nearby wall. Gandil leans over to Kavos and whispers "Cannibals. Awesome." missing the irony.

At the feasting table itself are arranged nearly thirty orange scaled locathah, among which is one that's more than twice the size of his kin who seems to have a place of honor among them. The ambassador swiftly swims to the table, taking a place next to the large locathah and flourishes his arms. "Welcome to the halls of Tso'Cha!"

Kavos bows deeply and taps Gandil to do the same, they look up however when what feels like a wake slams into them as the giant locathah launches itself forward with tremendous force. The creature lands before the PCs and their zombie horde and towers over even Gandil.

Kavos's eyes widen a bit and he nearly steps back, but attempts to maintain an air of strength.

The creature regards the surface dwellers with its cold, dead fish eyes fr a moment before bowing itself; going all the way down to one knee and bending its head. The other locathah seem shocked.

"You are friends to the Tso'Cha." it says humbly before rising. "Without your gifts the Le'uin would still own this lake."

The other locathah shout and ones who are armed bang their spears excitedly against the floor.

Kavos is taken aback, not realizing that a few sheep would mean so much to these people. "I'm glad that the gifts were satisfactory, I've actually come to speak with you on a similar matter I thought you might be interested in."

The Tso'Cha patriarch nods and drifts back over to his place at the table. "Of course. Feast and let us speak."

The PCs approach and the large locathah clears a place for them on its left hand side. It tears a slab of meat off its current meal and divides it among both Kavos and Gandil before digging back into its food.

Gandil attempts to imitate the big locathah and fits as much in his mouth as he can before chewing. They're humanoid enough to fill his belly, but taste like seafood; a delightful change of pace. "Dig in Kavos, it's great." Gandil says between bites.

Kavos looks at his food and pushes it aside a bit. "I want to talk to you about a food source for your people, other than your people." he says, glancing at what's being served.

Gandil looks at the food before him and the sheep on the wall and asks Kavos "Wait a minute, are these the guys eating Westbankers?"

Kavos, glad that nobody here can understand Gandil or vice versa whispers that the green ones were doing it and that the yellow ones told them to.

"We are always eager to find alternatives." the patriarch agrees. "When you sent us your meat, we were starving; many of us fell prey to the Le'Uin and their monstrous beasts. Your contribution strengthened our dying warriors and let us reclaim our rightful place." it says, a hint of human emotion creeping into its alien voice.

"I'm glad to hear it." Kavos says with a smile. "Your people eat meat, correct? Regardless of origin?" he beckons one of his zombies over as Gandil stands up and slams his hands on the table.

"Where do these green bastards live? I demand restitution for my fallen comrades. I demand vengeance, I deman-" Gandil shouts, but is easily ignored as nobody save Kavos can understand him.

"We have never been choosy." the patriarch nods, whatever else he said being drowned out by Gandil's call for blood.

Kavos leans over and says "Gandil! The green ones have already been caught, they're being punished!" he hisses, indicating the creatures in the corner and on the plate.

Gandil stares down at his plate in horror. "But if the green ones eat Westbankians...and I eat them...then that makes me...a cannibal!"

Kavos just looks at him.

"I have to get out of here!" Gandil shouts and flees towards the exit.

Kavos smiles at the Tso'Cha and explains that Gandil's water breathing spell was about to expire and he had to get back to the surface. The patriarch understands and offers to send a guide with Gandil. Unsure of how Gandil would react, Kavos declines.

This turns out to be a problem. Gandil doesn't quite know how to get to the surface and just starts taking any turn that the finds, pressing deeper and deeper into the locathah city.

Back in the feasting hall the patriarch asks Kavos "Now what is his problem you have?"

"No problem." Kavos assures him. "Only an opportunity. A town on the river has become somewhat disagreeable. All of the people have forgotten how to listen and I wish to rescind my protection. Your people may eat all you can catch from this town." as he says this Kavos bites into his section of meat, finding that it's not actually that bad.

The patriarch nods. "Humans are dangerous to our kind, we don't move so good on land." it explains. "but if we can lure them to the water they will perish. If we can't, we will snare them."

"There's just one problem, and it would be wrong of me not to bring it up to you before you went about your devouring. The humans in this town have gone through a change. Your people may not be the most picky of eaters, however this change they've gone through is questionable to say the least. I have no idea how they will taste, however, it will certainly not be as you remember." Kavos explains.

The patriarch tilts its head. "They are like these?" it asks, motioning towards the zombies. "Rotting things?"

Kavos purses his lips and nods.

The patriarch seems uncertain. "We have seen some of the Le'Uin eat these before; they sometimes make our people sick. Sometimes they make them forget themselves..." he says solemnly.

"Your people go through the change as well?" Kavos asks surprised.

The patriarch nods. "We have differences surface dweller, but we have sames too."

Kavos nods, surprised to find that the locathah have a strangely human intelligence. They can be quite insightful.

Meanwhile Gandil finds himself in a 20x20 room filled with mud and blue scaled locathah trying to drive him off with sticks. Gandil flashes his teeth and claws threateningly and the smallish locathah do the same. With a stroke of brilliance Gandil scoops up a handful of mud and flings it into the face of one of them.

They don't seem to like this and commence to beating Gandil with their sticks. Gandil doesn't seem to like this and starts biting and clawing anyone in range. The injured locathah flee down random tunnels in a panic and somewhere someone makes a horrible noise like an underwater trumpet, Gandil can't see who did it however because of the growing blood cloud.

Back in the feasting hall Kavos continues negotiating with the locathah. Despite the fact they can't reliably eat the ghouls they agree to do what they can to drag them down into their element. In return Kavos promises more free meat and their alliance seems pretty well cemented.

Then they hear the horn.

The locathah glance at each other and then to the patriarch. "The Asch'al are being raided." the patriarch says. "They call for their kin."

The creature seems to grin if that's possible and turns to Kavos. "Join us for a hunt surface dweller?"

Kavos nods and follows the swarm of creatures through their intimate tunnels, through several twists and turns until finally they empty out into an enclosed area filled with mud, blood and screaming blue scaled locathah.

Gandil is pouncing on anything within reach like a rabid cat, he lifts the broken corpse of a blue locathah to his mouth a and chews through one of its arms with a single mighty bite. The remaining blue scaled ones seem terrified and cower nearby.

Suddenly more than a dozen of the blue creatures flood the room, wielding sharpened sticks and with their faces contorted into a vicious battlecry.

Kavos, Gandil and the orange scaled locathah ready their weapons and the blue locathah's battlecry turns into a pathetic squeal and the flee into a random assortment of tunnels without even losing momentum.

The patriarch laughs as his entourage breaks up and follows after their squealing prey into the walls. "A creature after my own heart." it says, indicating the gore covered Gandil.

"These...aren't your allies?" Kavos asks.

The patriarch seems amused. "They are Asch'al. Builders. Prey."

Kavos looks around, understanding the culture a little better. Seeing that the hunt seems to be crowded as it is, he asks the Tso'Cha patriarch if a guide could take them to the surface and the large creature has the 'ambassador' take them.

Under its guidance they find their way free of the city in only a few short minutes. Once they say their goodbyes Kavos casts Water Walk on himself, Gandil and the zombies and they shoot up through the depths in record time.

They take a moment to collect themselves and they Kavos half buries his remaining zombies along the edge of the lake beneath the waves so that they're there when he needs them. He then reminds Gandil to put his hat back on as they walk back to town.

Spoiler
    Show
    Once back in town Gandil heads to Rambalt's lab carrying a pair of sticks, he explains to Rambalt that he's going to teach Junior how to sword fight. Rambalt thinks that's a fine idea so Gandil approaches the childlike flesh golem who's sitting cross legged on the floor seemingly fascinated by a book on animal husbandry.

"What'cha got there Mr Baby?" Gandil asks and Junior shows him. Impressed that he's already reading, or at least looking at pictures, Gandil decides to quiz the golem to see if it's retaining any knowledge. "What's the book about?" he asks.

Junior looks up with a vacant grin and makes an O shape with one hand and repeatedly inserts his index finger into the opening. Gandil's eyes widen in shock and he slaps the book out of Junior's hands.

"No!" Gandil shouts. "That is an inappropriate book for someone your age!" the prudish zombie declares. Forgetting about his desire to teach Junior sword fighting Gandil instead spends the rest of the night teaching him the ways of the hero; lecturing him on his own adventures, or at least how he remembers them.

Kavos checks the fortifications and then heads to bed.

As soon as the sun rises Kavos prays for his daily spells and then sets out for the graveyard that supposedly holds Longarm's body. It doesn't take much effort to find Longarm's grave though it seems odd.

The headstone is there, but Kavos realizes that the grave site itself doesn't seem to have ever been disturbed. Nothing could be buried here because it was never dug up. He feels around in the dirt to make sure, but it's tightly packed.

In fact, almost none of the grave sites seem to have been disturbed.

Suspicions confirmed, Kavos heads to Elder Hadran's house to discuss the locathah. He explains their situation with the Tso'Cha and asks for Hadran to smooth over things with the town. Elder Hadran agrees that they need allies desperately and vows to put a good spin on their new relationship.

Kavos thanks him and then sets out among the people to comfort and inspire them as he can.

Gandil spends the day following through with his intention to teach Junior swordfighting and by the end of the day the excited golem can hold a tree branch almost like a sword. He's clumsy and stiff, but unbelievably powerful. Gandil considers it a smashing success and asks Rambalt to work on fashioning a proper weapon for Mr Baby. He includes a sketch of what he'd like made.

Then Gandil has an idea. Junior needs to go to school, he can't spend his life in Rambalt's basement. He does a head count and finds about 14 kids in town of various ages, not counting Junior. Gandil asks around and Mrs Boddan at the inn is willing to teach, she doesn't even have a problem with Junior; she'd heard of the contributions he'd made during the siege and Gandil explained that he was a simpleton they'd found in the woods with the mind of a child. Knowing Gandil this might be how he remembers the events.

Gandil declares that he'll whip the children into physical perfection and teach them survival techniques. Rambalt is unknowingly volunteered for a variety of subjects and once Kavos hears about it decides that he'll volunteer his services for a weekly class devoted to Arcana and Religion.

All in all, Kavos figures it's a pretty good way to scout for new talent.
    Last edited by Kid Jake; 2014-12-20 at 02:04 PM.

My Campaign Journals

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Why all the hate?
    No hate, it's just business. Adrian raised Longarm who can reveal that the party is actually a duo of knaves. He's a liability. He needs a dirtnap.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Oh good grief, Gandil just infected a bunch of blue Locathath with ghoul fever didn't he?

He needs to learn control and discipline. This is just how he got them into their current mess!

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Oh good grief, Gandil just infected a bunch of blue Locathath with ghoul fever didn't he?

He needs to learn control and discipline. This is just how he got them into their current mess!
    He doesn't even realize it.

My Campaign Journals

20. - Top - End - #110

Now Gandil needs to start a hoard of ghouls underground he'll have a whole set!

I am curious what will happen with the teaching the kids will receive.

21. - Top - End - #111

He's still missing sky ghouls.

You and me both, I'm not sure if Gandil has a plan or just wants the chance to corrupt young minds.

My Campaign Journals

22. - Top - End - #112

I actually have a way he could make sky ghouls. Say you can walk on clouds if they are thick enough and sense it's cold up there, you'd effectively have
    an environment that is like an ice flow, only you plummet to your death if you fall threw instead of falling into water. You can place a society up there that is like the eskimos or other culture that lives in a frozen wasteland. That would only leave the problem of how our heroes get up there, why is there a sizable enough population up there and sense the sky people haven't been seen at all, it would mean that they would probably try to avoid any land dwellers.

I suggest one of the kids is turns out to be a prodigy in something that would make him useful to our heroes. Like maybe he turns out to be a sorcerer or he can make weapons of mass destruction or is a master tactician or something like that. This kid would have great power but won't understand the weight of the things he could do. I'm guessing this would result in Kavos exploiting the kid for fun but mostly profit and Gandil would try protect his innocence right after biting off someone's neck.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Sky ghouls would be more easily sourced by having a village of one of the various flying humanoids living in the mountains.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Sky ghouls are easy. He's just got to infect some angels.

25. - Top - End - #115

I'm seriously considering including harpies in the mountains or something now just so that he can complete the set. This world is rapidly becoming terrifying.

My Campaign Journals

26. - Top - End - #116

Do it, I want to see how they are going to protect Westbank from aerial ghouls.

27. - Top - End - #117

DrowGuy

...Fantastic. I saw this when it was only a page, but THIS! This is utter genius! Good show, sir Jake; I await your next installment with understanding but great desire!
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by GorinichSerpant View Post
    Do it, I want to see how they are going to protect Westbank from aerial ghouls.
    I can envision it now...

Plan A: Everyone moves underground and becomes mole people.

Plan B: Curse futilely at the heavens until everyone's eaten.

Plan C: Find a way to retreat to the Astral Plane and make Inter-dimensional ghouls.

Quote Originally Posted by JBPuffin View Post
    ...Fantastic. I saw this when it was only a page, but THIS! This is utter genius! Good show, sir Jake; I await your next installment with understanding but great desire!
    Thankya, always glad to hear someone enjoyed our sessions. Haven't heard anything from them, but hopefully we'll have another game after the New Year.

Spoiler: Unrelated Mutants and Masterminds Stuff
    Show
    Speaking of which, McCrow's player's schedule just opened up so we should have another of those sessions as soon as Fanboy gets back into town.

My Campaign Journals

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Spoiler: Unrelated Mutants and Masterminds Stuff
    Show
    Speaking of which, McCrow's player's schedule just opened up so we should have another of those sessions as soon as Fanboy gets back into town.
    Alleluia dude.

30. - Top - End - #120

Alright, here's our ninth session fresh off the presses. Hope you enjoy.

Spoiler
    Show
    We pick up exactly where we left off.

Gandil is in Rambalt's lab doing his thing, while Junior throws a leather ball against the wall and watches it bounce back to him. Kavos stops in to check on the state of Gandil's bandit, to see how much food reserves the ghastly sheriff has remaining. The bandit has neither leg, nor one of his arms but there's still plenty of meat on his bones, much to the bandit's disappointment.

Rambalt is setting aside books for the school's use, all of which are dry; academic and assuredly above the heads of the schoold children. Kavos asks Rambalt how Junior's been progressing and Rambalt replies that the golem picks things up remarkably fast; as though he's remembering how to do things rather than learning them fresh.

Junior grins when he hears his name, looking over to see what they're saying before returning to his game.

Satisfied, Kavos bids everyone a good day and excuses himself to visit Father Adrian, alone.

He discovers the elderly priest int he chapel as usual, a bucket and rag in hand; scrubbing one of the pews with an almost youthful vigor.

"What is it you hope to achieve?" Kavos asks bluntly, startling the priest out of his reverie.

Father Adrian turns from his work and wipes the sweat from his brow with one of his sleeves. "I hope to remove this stain before it attracts ants. Some child seems to have smuggled in a sweet..." he mutters, glaring at a syrupy mess on the pew.

"I speak of Longarm." Kavos demands.

Father Adrian's face splits into a patronly smile, his pretenses dropped now that they speak alone. "The same thing you want out of Gandil, I'd imagine. Someone strong to help keep the peace."

Kavos takes a seat on the pew and Adrian does the same, being careful to avoid the stain.

"What happened to the people I put under your care in Jessop's farm?" Kavos asks. "They were safe, the disease hadn't advanced; they were cured."

"They've been put to good use." Father Adrian assures him. "They've become much like our friends...thought not quite so intelligent." he says with a small frown. "I have faith though. I believe they can be recovered...or at least trained."

"We can't afford to be reckless with the power that's been bestowed on us. I trust your judgement, but so many people disappearing at once is sure to draw attention." Kavos says.

"They Eastbankers." Father Adrian says dismissively. "They've spent the last twenty years making our lives miserable. Nobody's going to look for them, frankly, nobody cares if they're dead."

"Just one slip though Father Adrian, one slip and you lose everything you've built for this town. Such a large disappearance, even Eastbankers...there are risks." Kavos insists. "You know this already though don't you? Adrian. Just because the end is in sight doesn't mean you need to push harder, you'll only end up falling, and I won't be able to help you back up."

"That's exactly what it means!" Father Adrian says, his gaze distant and a look of fear on his face. "The two of you have dragged the Duke directly to our door step and if we're going to survive, we must have an army!" he nearly shouts.

Kavos is taken aback by this.

"The last time that man came here he reduced a thriving community of nearly three thousand to...this." Father Adrian says sadly, waving a hand around dismissively. "So tell me Kavos. What use is a reputation among the dead?" the elderly priest demands. "So long as they survive, they can judge me as they see fit. IF they survive..."

Kavos sits in silence with the priest for a moment. "So you want an army... Adrian, I've allied with the forces of nature itself. The denizens of the forest AND lake stand by my side. If it's a force you want, I'd like you to accompany me to a meeting with one of the leaders."

Father Adrian seems a bit surprised but nods his head. "I'll attend your meeting..." he replies simply, possibilities flitting through his mind.

Kavos bows and excuses himself, leaving Father Adrian with his work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Meanwhile, Gandil's grown bored sitting around Rambalt's basement and decides that he's going to hold an impromptu chess tournament; with the winner winning a spot in their new government as an adviser. He goes and shouts this news in the town square and then begins knocking on doors to announce it as well.

He heads to the southside of the village to tell the rest of the population when he sees a glimpse of something rushing him out of the corner of his eye. Gandil spins to face it and receives a punch square in the face with enough force to knock him off his feet.

He hits the ground and flexes his claws dangerously.

"Did your friend give you my message?" the voice of Longarm asks cold and hollow, his cloak wrapped tightly to conceal his horrific visage. He's as large and burly as he was in life, but death has replaced his once jovial face with something sharp and predatory.

"I think he might've said something about-" Gandil starts, standing up nonchalantly and receiving a knee to the ribs for his trouble, those ribs are suddenly rattling around inside him.

"Adrian wants you alive." Longarm growls, "But I honestly don't care. Make you a deal though, give me back my grandfather's sword and I'll leave you some teeth."

"This sword belongs to the Sheriff of Westbank..." Gandil says, feeling the weight of his injuries even if he can't feel the pain associated with them, "And last I checked..THAT'S ME!" he shouts at the top if his lungs, the sword flicks out and carves a hole down the front of Longarm's chest; the blow is accompanied by both a bite and a claw.

Longarm scowls at the injury but delivers a one-two punch combo that rattles Gandil's undead brain and breaks another rib.

Gandil hacks into Longarm twice with the enchanted falchion and a commotion can be heard in the street. Longarm looks worried about getting caught in the act and backhands the contested weapon out of a very surprised Gandil's hands. Before Gandil can say anything however, Longarm lands another punch to the face which caves in his eye socket and makes the world go very; very dark.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kavos is enjoying a leisurely meal in the tavern when a villager storms in shouting that the sheriff's been injured and doesn't have a pulse. He rushes to attend to the fallen sheriff before his secret is discovered.

Kavos finds Gandil lying limp in a pile of trash, his sword nowhere to be seen. About a dozen people have gathered in the street to gawk; the fact that their sheriff had apparently been mugged keeping them all on edge.

Kavos turns to the crowd and demands that they return to their homes. It doesn't take much prodding to send them on their way; just knowing that whatever did THIS is still out there is enough to get them moving.

Once everyone's gone, Kavos unleashes several negative energy blasts directly at Gandil's corpse. Gandil's wounds knit themselves back together as he does so and finally the battered sheriff sits up with a groan.

"Who did this to you?!" Kavos demands.

Gandil rubs his head with the back of his hand and says "It was Father Adrian. He's not trustworthy Kavos! He sent the ghost of Longarm to kill me!"

"I spoke with Father Adrian earlier today, he's doubtlessly on our side. Are you sure this was his doing?" Kavos asks suspiciously, knowing Gandil's tendency to jump to conclusions.

"This was definitely him!" Gandil insists. "Longarm attacked me and muttered something about Father Adrian while he did so, I swear!"

Kavos curses under his breath and rushes to the temple, leaving Gandil in the trash.

Gandil glances around the dark alley and decides to join him.

They find Father Adrian lighting candles in preparation for tonight's service. Kavos bursts into the room and shouts "What game are you playing at Adrian!?" unmindful of whether or not they're alone. Luckily they are, for now.

"What are you talking about Kavos?" Father Adrian asks, genuinely surprised.

"Longarm attacked Gandil. Why?" Kavos demands.

Adrian sighs and rubs his temples. "He's been ranting about his grandfather's sword in the hands of his murderer... I instructed him to leave the matter to me, but..." Father Adrian looks at Gandil, a look of seemingly genuine concern on his face. "Did he hurt you?"

Gandil growls and leaps forward to snatch Adrian by the throat. Adrian's eyes flash dangerously and Gandil goes limp. When Adrian instructs him to sit down, he does so with no choice in the matter; he feels a will inside him replacing his own.

Kavos glances at the angry, but subdued Gandil and asks "So Longarm was acting on his own?"

Father Adrian nods. "Yes and I have to say, considering Gandil is still with us he must be showing CONSIDERABLE restraint. I apologize for his behavior, but the sword meant a great deal to him. This is all my fault for not broaching the subject sooner."

"Did you bring me back to life?" Gandil shouts, using the only part of him that's still his to control.

"I think it's pretty obvious that he did." Kavos says.

"I'm not asking you Kavos, I'm asking him!" Gandil growls.

"Actually...I didn't. Though your revival WAS what inspired me to bring Curtis back, I had no direct hand in it." Father Adrian replies.

"Do you know what did?" Gandil asks sullenly.

"You're unique Gandil. Well, less unique now, but still one in a million." Father Adrian says. "There are a number of things which COULD have brought you back, I admit that I'm not sure what it was that did so. I've heard stories of soldiers falling in battle to be reborn as you have from the spiritual resonance caused by the carnage. Perhaps my own experiments created such a situation for you?" he suggests.

"Why did you bring Longarm back?" Gandil demands. Kavos is struck speechless; he'd just assumed that Adrian had brought Gandil back himself; learning otherwise opens up too many questions.

"Once I realized the two of you were lying about his involvement with the Duke, I couldn't in good conscience turn my back on him. Curtis has been a friend for years." Father Adrian replies.

"And we killed that friend. So why do you care if we live or die?" Gandil asks, displaying a shocking amount of self awareness.

"Because I don't believe you were lying about the Duke." Father Adrian explains. "This town needs the two of you. A strong arm to defend it and a strong mind to lead it. "I'll admit that I'm somewhat upset at your attempt to manipulate me as you did, but since Curtis is still well, not alive... but active, I suppose there's no real harm."

"So where do you end up when this is all over?" Gandil growls suspiciously.

"Where I've always been." Father Adrian says. "Watching over my flock. Pelor failed to protect them, Lord Asmodeous will not."

"Has Longarm's personality changed since bringing him back?" Gandil asks, curious about his own condition.

"He seems angrier." Father Adrian admits, a note of sadness in his voice. "But under the circumstances, I don't hold it against him."

"I will not be commanded like a dog. Let me up!" Gandil demands, unable to physically struggle.

"Are you going to behave?" Adrian asks bluntly.

"I swear I'll kill you Adrian!" Gandil growls.

"No. You won't." Kavos reprimands him.

"Oh yes I will Kavos, if he doesn't let me up now I'll eat his innards later!" Gandil snarls.

"He's our ally!" Kavos snaps. "You're being unreasonable!"

"Gandil, if you're willing to forget this mess; I'll compensate you for the loss of the sword." Father Adrian offers.

"Keep your demon trinkets. I wish to stand!" Gandil shouts.

"I'll release you." Adrian replies. "But this is your only warning: Lunge for me again and I will remove your skeletal structure." Father Adrian says coldly, but without a hint of exaggeration.

Kavos positions himself between Gandil and Adrian. "Gandil, you listen to me! I WILL NOT let what happened with Haverston happen again. Don't you DARE attack Adrian."

"Alright, fine!" Gandil shouts. "Just release me!"

Father Adrian relinquishes control of Gandil and the undead sheriff immediately leaps forward snarling and brandishing his claws. Before he gets within 10ft of Father Adrian however, he's fallen under the control of Kavos who makes him sit down once again.

"Get control of Longarm." Kavos tells Father Adrian. "I'll do the same with Gandil. But mark my words, I know him. He won't forget this."

Father Adrian nods, "I will leash him if need be. The peace will be maintained for all our sakes."

Kavos nods and informs Gandil that they will be staying for the evening service. Gandil tries to protest but Kavos shuts him down quite literally. The sermon is somewhat pleasant and revolves around keeping the faith during these trying times; that not even ghouls can threaten a community united as they are.

Spoiler
    Show
    After it's over, Kavos leads Gandil to the jail and locks him in a cell. He releases control and steps back.

Gandil immediately throws himself at the bars with teeth gnashing and claws flailing; surprisingly he he manages to absolutely wreck one of the bars.

"Gandil. Stop!" Kavos shouts.

Seeing his chance, Gandil presses himself into the new opening he's made and manages to squeeze through. Kavos attempts to seize control of him again but Gandil resists and pounces on the elderly cleric.

Like a rabid animal Gandil tears into his former friend, dealing 3/4ths of his hp in damage in a single focused assault. Kavos just barely manages to take control of him once again and places him in the remaining cell, his clothing soaked with his own blood.

Kavos goes to Professor Rambalt's lab. Rambalt himself is in his lab working over a makeshift smithy on Junior's weapon.

"Rambalt, the tonic to ward off infection... I need one." Kavos says.

Rambalt motions towards a cabinet which holds several bottles and asks "What happened? Did ghouls get in?"

"Nothing." Kavos says, shaking his head and taking a seat. "Rambalt, you've worked with the human anatomy, correct?"

Rambalt nods. "Oh yes. Quite extensively."

"Extensively.." Kavos repeats, taking a sip of the tonic. "The brain. Could you, if necessary...could you 'reset' a mind? Is it possible?"

Rambalt's face scrunches up in confusion. "To what end?"

"To remove unwanted memories." Kavos says.

"Well...yes. Butthe side effects would be quite...umm unpleasant." Rambalt replies.

"How so?" Kavos asks.

Tapping the front of Kavos's skull, Rambalt says "A quick incision here could make the brain incapable of storing recent memories as long term...however NO further memories could be processed."

Kavos thinks for a moment and then sighs. "Plan B then Rambalt. Do you have any chains or potato sacks?"

Rambalt nods indicating several sets near the tortured bandit. "I always keep spare chains, in my line of work you never know when you'll need them... And I should have some potatoes up in the larder."

Kavos nods. "Could you and Junior please carry those chains to the jail? I'll get the sacks."

Rambalt's confused, but does as he's asked; loading Junior down with heavy chains and leading the golem to the jail behind Kavos.

Kavos unlocks the door to allow them in and as they enter, Rambalt gasps at the sight of Gandil in the cell. "Kavos, what is this?! Why is Gandil locked up?"

Kavos waves towards his wounds.

"He did that?" Rambalt asks incredulously. "But...but he's the sheriff!"

"I'll explain later." Kavos says, "At this moment, we need to secure him."

"Why's he just standing there like that?" Rambalt asks concerned, but does as he's asked. "Did he...revert?"

Kavos explains that Gandil is under his control until he answers some questions. Kavos proceeds to place the potato sacks over Gandil's hands and face, tying them tight to make sure they stay in place. He then carefully arranges the chains to bind Gandil so that if he does somehow resist control, he still can't move.

Kavos turns to Rambalt. "He believes a person to be acting against him when he's not. That person is sort of like you Rambalt, someone I protect from the prying eyes of the public."

Comprehension flashes across Rambalt's face. "Oh... Is he going to be alright, do you think?"

"We'll see." Kavos says. "Step outside, we need a moment alone."

Rambalt nods and leads Junior outside to wait.

Kavos releases control of Gandil and says "Take a moment and listen before you react."

Gandil confirms that he's listening.

"Earlier, before the chains, I wanted to ask you why you attacked Father Adrian. Now I want to know why you attacked me." Kavos says.

"Because nobody controls my mind!" he growls. "You not only defended Adrian, but took control of my body to do so. AND you forced me to sit through that blasted sermon!" Gandil nearly shouts.

"I did it for the town. For you. For everything we've worked for." Kavos insists. "I spoke with Father Adrian earlier today. He's our ally and a powerful one. Not only is he the man who brought Longarm to life, he's a powerful cleric of my god. He would have done far worse than take control of you if you'd managed to harm him. He's not our enemy, remove that notion from your mind. He just wants the town to be safe, to prosper. Isn't that what you want?"

"He sets a rapid dog like Longarm loose in Westbank and you want me to believe he has the town's best interests at heart?" Gandil shouts. "He's up to no good Kavos. You can't be so foolish as to not see it!"

"A rabid dog?" Kavos asks with a genuine laugh. "Who was Longarm before we arrived here?" he asks. Gandil doesn't answer so Kavos does himself: "He was the sheriff! Who better to bring back from the dead to protect this town?"

"We already have an undead sheriff! A half-orc who couldn't handle a pit full of spiders is neither wanted nor helpful." Gandil insists. "If our friendship has ever meant anything to you Kavos, help me take Adrian and his pet ghoul out once and for all!"

"Adrian wants nothing but good for this town!" Kavos replies angrily. "YOU moved to strike first, YOU initiated the conflict. I can understand your feud with Longarm, but you need to leave Adrian out of this."

"Kill me now if you want to save Adrian." Gandil says flatly. "He has plans in store for Westbank and they do not include us. Kavos and Gandil? No. Adrian and Longarm will rule this town."

"Gandil..." Kavos starts exasperatedly. "He's lived here for decades, if he wanted to run this place he would have. YOU KILLED Longarm. If it had been the other way around you would have done far more than just beat him up when you got back."

"Me?" Gandil asks in shock. "I remember both of us watching him being eaten alive by spiders." he says morosely.

"I know." Kavos says. "But that doesn't change the fact that you had a hand in his murder, nor does it change my point. We've all done wrong, but we need to set it aside to move forward."

"My point still stands as well. If you want Adrian to live, then kill me now. You may not get another chance." Gandil replies defiantly.

"All I hear are the delusional rantings of a mad man." Kavos says with a sigh. "I won't lose a powerful ally to gain two powerful enemies because you feel slighted. I pray that you see reason."

"Do what you have to do." Gandil replies, "I'm not backing down."

Kavos shakes his head. "No...I suppose you won't."

He calls for Rambalt and orders the mage to retrieve his tools.

"You too Rambalt?" Gandil asks before Kavos seizes control once more.

"Are you sure Kavos?" Rambalt asks sadly. "M-maybe he'll come around?"

"I've given him every chance he'll get. Remove the claws and metal appendages." Kavos instructs. "I won't kill him, but I'm not going to let him run wild.

"But...that would leave him helpless." Rambalt protests. "The claws have replaced his hands, the jaws...Kavos, he doesn't even have a jaw without the implants."

"Are they re-attachable once removed?" Kavos aks.

Rambalt shakes his head. "I'll have to saw them off to remove them. Kavos, this is permanent..."

Kavos sighs and glances one last time at his old friend before turning to Rambalt and simply saying "Good."
    Last edited by Kid Jake; 2015-01-03 at 03:38 PM.

My Campaign Journals