New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The 4e community seems a bit dead.

Did everyone switch to 5e already?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The 4e community seems a bit dead.

We've been a bit quiet lately but I feel like most of the most active posters probably haven't jumped ship. Testing it out, maybe, but abandoning it forthright? 5e doesn't do a lot of the things that made 4e different from other D&Ds.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

The 4e community on GitP was never all that busy in the first place, at least compared to the 3.p boards. I haven't noticed any particular slow down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Its definitely slower here.

I'm one of the bigger 4e posters here and I haven't been playing 4e recently. My group has been trying 5e, though with mixed results. The current opinion is to wait until the DMG comes out and see if that improves the game any. I expect us to be back to 4e by the beginning of the year. But I don't know if we are typical or not.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

It seems well and alive to me - I can find games with dead communities easily enough, but every edition of D&D seems to avoid it pretty well.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    The 4e community on GitP was never all that busy in the first place, at least compared to the 3.p boards. I haven't noticed any particular slow down.
    Also very true, but we've only got three threads with posts in the last five days right now. I'd say it's slower than normal.

But yeah if you're comparing us to the other boards, never anything like it. Cozy little place here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps due to the fact that OotS is a 3.5 comic, these have always been primarily 3.x boards. A lot of very vocal people in the 3.5 community felt betrayed when 4e came out, and their hostile behavior likely prevented a lot of would-be 4e newcomers from sticking around, thus preventing a large group of 4e players from forming. As such, we've always been a fairly small corner of the giantitp community.

It has been slow lately, but not unprecedentedly so.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

For what it's worth, my area used to have a large and vibrant 4E community, but that is entirely dead (with all the players having switched to either Pathfinder or Whitewolf). If similar things have happened in other areas, that would plausibly make a number of 4E forums worldwide be less active than they used to.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm still running 4e, but talking about it elsewhere.

No plans to switch to 5e, personally.

10. - Top - End - #10

I don't see much activity on the wotc forums or even 4enclave. I have optimization to discuss, dammit.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

No, we switched to 13th Age.

4e was fun, but just too crunchy and combat-centric (and that took far too long) for my group.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

12. - Top - End - #12

13th age is good, but there's not enough crunch for good theoretical optimization.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bloodshed343 View Post
    I don't see much activity on the wotc forums or even 4enclave. I have optimization to discuss, dammit.
    4E optimization hasn't really changed for the past two-and-a-half years, because no new material has been printed to optimize with. So whatever you wish to optimize, the most recent threads on the WOTC forum should be valid, or you could ask here and people will likely respond.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

14. - Top - End - #14

I understand that 4e has been silved, but I only just started optimizing myself, so I want to show off my system mastery on the internet.

I think, just for an interesting discussion, I'll home brew a new class and we can optimize that as a community. Perhaps we can add a custom index for cbloader for home brew and keep the game alive.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

It never was really bustling, and you see the same 20 people in the PbP area. It's really sort of a tightly-knit community that crops up every once in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Don't worry, the community will find a way.

For me, as soon as I get enough free time and access to someone who never read a 4e book I will contribute something to the community.

17. - Top - End - #17

Does anyone use roll20? I'm looking for a weekly game if anyone wants to dm. I will be a highly optimized sword lock

18. - Top - End - #18

GITP never embraced 4e. Total post counts of all time show that. Their loss.

There are a number of active 4e communities elsewhere, on forums with less stringent rules.

19. - Top - End - #19

I know I wouldn't mind playing in a good 4e campaign but finding one is another thing entirely. I know the majority of my posts on this forum in particular were about DMing but I haven't had any time to devote to that unfortunately.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavran View Post
    We've been a bit quiet lately but I feel like most of the most active posters probably haven't jumped ship. Testing it out, maybe, but abandoning it forthright? 5e doesn't do a lot of the things that made 4e different from other D&Ds.
    Agreed. It seems as if melee classes have more they can do in 4th than they can in other editions. They're not just 'wack them with you weapon, rinse and repeat'.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Did everyone switch to 5e already?
    I think traffic is low because there's little to talk about. There's so much bloat that I hardly understand what people say in posts these days. For instance, someone will post a new character concept, I'll go look at it, but the new player already knows about some obscure paragon path published in one of the later Dragon Magazines that's perfect for their character, so there's nothing I could post that would help.

D&D 4e and 5e are very different beasts. There's little in each edition that would appeal to fans of the other one.

22. - Top - End - #22

We should focus on homebrew.

That would give us something to talk about. And I have an abundance of homebrew to talk about.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    I think traffic is low because there's little to talk about. There's so much bloat that I hardly understand what people say in posts these days. For instance, someone will post a new character concept, I'll go look at it, but the new player already knows about some obscure paragon path published in one of the later Dragon Magazines that's perfect for their character, so there's nothing I could post that would help.

D&D 4e and 5e are very different beasts. There's little in each edition that would appeal to fans of the other one.
    I really hate how they reduced the number of spells per level in 5th. You had more spells-per-day in the 3s.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstone View Post
    I really hate how they reduced the number of spells per level in 5th. You had more spells-per-day in the 3s.
    Eh, in the 3's Spells per Day really stopped being a meaningful limit after a while. When it's intended as a balancing factor, enough spells to use high-level slots in every encounter during the average adventuring day while still having enough left over to buff everyone with a few kept in reserve in case something weird happens, it's kind of counter productive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Does anyone use roll20? I'm looking for a weekly game if anyone wants to dm. I will be a highly optimized sword lock
    Quote Originally Posted by Raine_Sage View Post
    I know I wouldn't mind playing in a good 4e campaign but finding one is another thing entirely. I know the majority of my posts on this forum in particular were about DMing but I haven't had any time to devote to that unfortunately.
    If you guys can wait for December 13th I would gladly try to DM some for you on weekends. Or if you are on RPOL I know some games who could use some players. PM me if you want more details.

What 4e needs is new content, new adventures and more -non broken yet very thematic- options. It will be hard with the loss of the GSL, but something is bound to happen.

26. - Top - End - #26

I have a home brew for a biomancer mage, a spirit pact warlock, con based elemental warlock abilities, and fey blood sorcerer with a melee/illusion focus. Cha/int that can swap arcana for stealth. Steps on the hexblade's toes a little, but the hexblade is a subpar class anyway.
    Last edited by bloodshed343; 2014-11-19 at 05:10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

I'll post em up when I can get on a computer. Typing on my phone is annoying.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I've got several non-homebrew characters that I've never got to play, because the players in my environment moved on. Well, that's the breaks.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

13th age is good, but there's not enough crunch for good theoretical optimization.
    My group isn't interested in "theoretical optimisation", so no loss for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    Indeed, there's pretty much nothing about 5e that appeals to me and mine, having come from enjoying 4e but finding it too slow.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstone View Post
    In 3e, you started with too few spells and ended up with "too many". 4e fixed that one way. In 5e, you have at-will spells (much like 4e) and far fewer daily spells, almost like 4e in that respect, but with an unfortunately bigger gap between low and high-level.

I think that's one of 5e's positive changes. Hour-long "short" rests and required clerics are some of 5e's huge negative changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiisaxo View Post
    What 4e needs is new content, new adventures and more -non broken yet very thematic- options. It will be hard with the loss of the GSL, but something is bound to happen.
    Does 4e really need lots of new content? The biggest issue I have with 4e right now is the bloat. Unlike in 3e, most of that bloat is underpowered, so there's lots of weak classes and nonsensical feats out there to wade through, and newer PCs are often weaker than older ones. There's a feat, Harlequin Style, that I really hate on for such a reason; it looks powerful if you look at numbers, especially if you want an "invincible" PC, but actually sabotages your PC... and there's many other bad feats like that.

(When I play a PC, I pick a class and just try to take feats and powers from its book. If the PC looks like they'll be too weak, I'll discard the concept as weak and build another one before the first session. That does mean I'll probably never play that crazy charging eladrin taclord concept I've heard about, but that's fine.)

I would actually be handy if there was some sort of free 4Finder, if only to give an opportunity to start over from the "core"*, trim some of the worse parts (eg trim monster hit points a bit) and doing far better balance quality control on any new content. The lack of an SRD probably makes this a pipe dream.

*A concept that the Character Builder disintegrated :(
    Last edited by Kimera757; 2014-11-20 at 08:43 AM.