New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Making Promethean Work

I've often seen Promethean: the Created given the moniker, the greatest game nobody plays. I often feel the same way because of the interesting philosophy and themes involved in the game. However because of the mechanics that go into portraying these themes, it often becomes very difficult to play as a game.

For one, it requires a remarkably different playstyle than other WoD lines, because of the necessity of a nomadic lifestyle, the rarity of other Prometheans (which often makes justifying a throng difficult), and the inability to interact with normal humans effectively. There often seems to be difficulty in establishing how a Promethean campaign should be run, at least in an interesting way. The most basic premise of a Promethean Campaign is that the Throng will travel from place to place, deal with the less than welcome reception from the locals, discover some Pandorans or Evil Prometheans or whatever threatening the area, defeat them, and find a sign or Athanor that points you to the next location, which you go to before the locals force you out with pitchforks and torches. While this is a solid monster of the week type of campaign, it can often seem bland, especially when compared with the vast amount of interraction and scheming and plots that typically exist in other WoD game lines.

This is a shame because while I would very much enjoy to run a Promethean game, I am unsure how I would make it interesting, both for myself as well as for the party. Thus I am interested to hear whether other people had interesting alternate ways to run Promethean, aside from the typical monster-of the week nomadic pilgrimage campaign.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Making Promethean Work

I know bugger all about the game other than a few comments I've read but rather than have pure MotW it should be possible to have a long-lived quest. At worst 'our princess is in another castle' type thing but preferrably more like puzzles and mysteries. You need to solve some problem everywhere you go and each place you are lead to has another piece to add. Names to investigate, trails leading other places, traces of the Evil Master Plan or whatnot. treat it more like (dare I say it?) a D&D campaign. Lots of local problems to fight while you uncover the plot and get closer to the BBEG (for sometimes generous definitions of 'guy' or 'evil').
    If you want to play up the problem of finding enough Prometheans to work together, you can try running it as a one-on-one-on-one++ campaign. Each player gets individual sessions, or sessions with only one or two others, each getting a piece of the puzzle and communicating with eachother intermittently, sometimes meeting for bigger events. Obviously, this only works if the ST has a lot of free time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

If I recall correctly, someone wrote a Promethean campaign journal some time ago, set in the world of Trigun.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

If you're willing to wait a bit, Firestorm Chronicles/Promethean 2.0, according to the development blogs(Some of which are here), makes it much easier to stay in one place if you'd like

Disquiet never get's beyond "Distrust, Disgust, or Pity" unless you're already in a wasteland, and wastelands are no longer automatic.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    If I recall correctly, someone wrote a Promethean campaign journal some time ago, set in the world of Trigun.
    That was a good journal from memory, i cant remember what happened to it.

As a note that was a one on one game, so it wouldn't have suffered from having to justify a throng. Just one PC chasing down her lost past.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.