New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Mass: the Effecting] Applying God Machine Chronicle-style XP

My GM is one of the writers for Onyx Path, and so is one of our friends, so it shouldn't surprise you that some of the early iterations of GMC's changes were featured in Mass: the Effecting before GMC came out. We're going to play it again soon, and for the most part it will remain unchanged.

However, one thing that's being integrated is GMC-style XP. That will also necessitate a reworking of the (experienced) PCs with the new XP arrangement, which makes this more important than something that might only apply with future advancement.

I'm assuming nothing needs to be done with the starting allocations of resources, that's not done by XP (in a freeform point-buy type setup) under GMC is it?

The mundane stuff is easy; Attributes are 4XP per dot, Skills 2XP per dot, Merits and Specialities 1XP per dot/each. The question is around Talents, which are the custom-made powers attached to the Archetypes (splats). Even here I think there's an easy port from what was there.

For Archetypes with one focus Talent (Adept, Engineer and Soldier), that focus Talent is 3XP per dot, any others 5XP per dot. For Archetypes with two focus Talents (Infiltrator, Sentinel, Vanguard), those two focus Talents are 4XP per dot, and any others 5XP per dot. Those sound reasonable?

We've played 20 sessions to date and got 60XP under the old system, I reckon 1XP per session would be about right (so 20XP instead). Anyone think otherwise?
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Mass: the Effecting] Applying GMC-style XP

Does no one have a view on post-GMC XP?
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Mass: the Effecting] Applying GMC-style XP

I wont lie to you, i had to google to find out what GMC was an acronym for.

And unfortunately i have 0 experience with the The God-Machine Chronicle so i can't be of any help.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.